Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
    Super Moderator

Any owners of the current Klipsch La Scala II speakers here? ...

Please tell me what you like best about them and what amp/preamp you are using.

Frequency Response: 51Hz-17kHz +/- 4dB
    SENSITIVITY: 105dB @ 1watt/1meter
    POWER HANDLING: 100 w max continuous (400 w peak)
    MAXIMUM ACOUSTIC OUTPUT: 121dB SPL
    NOMINAL IMPEDANCE: 8 ohms
    TWEETER: K-77-F 1" (2.54cm) Phenolic diaphragm compression driver
    MIDRANGE: K-55-X 2" (5.08cm) Phenolic diaphragm compression driver
    MID FREQUENCY HORN: Exponential Horn
    WOOFER: K-33-E 15" (38.1cm) Fiber-composite cone / folded horn-loaded
    CROSSOVER FREQUENCY: HF: 4500Hz
    MF: 400Hz
    ENCLOSURE MATERIAL: Birch Plywood and MDF
    ENCLOSURE TYPE: Fully horn-loaded

Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Behavior Moderator (be nice police!)

Re: Any owners of the current Klipsch La Scala II speakers here? ...

I love those !!
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs XP32......incoming
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    VPI Avenger with Magnetic Drive
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    Ortofon Cadenza Black cartridge
    Kharma Elegance speaker cables
    Kharma Elegance interconnects
    REL Subs

Joe, what I like about my Klipsch LaScala II speakers is the way they reproduce the natural and realistic sound of a live symphony orchestra.

A number of years ago I had the opportunity to sit on the stage while the Houston Symphony practiced. What I noticed being that close to the instruments (as opposed to being seated out in the Hall) was the real texture and explosive natural of the sound of the various instruments. I could sense the raw sound (even harshness) of the gut bow string sliding across the strings of a violin and the immediate impact of a bass drum stroke. Sound coming from horn instruments had a certain hardness and sharpness that was new to me.
    All these different sounds I had not noticed previously sitting in the audience.

Every speaker designer has different goals and objectives and design methods to attract a listener. In my experience, there is nothing like a horn to capture the honest and raw sound of a live symphony orchestra. And why not, that was the intent of Paul Klipsch when he designed the Klipschorn.

In terms of solid state or tube, I could never tell any difference between my McIntosh amplifiers. And again why not, Sidney Corderman says that if properly designed, a solid state and tube amplifier should sound the same (discussed in the book). He says they both produce the same square wave.

Aside from sound, having a piece of original audio history displayed in your home is irreplaceable.

Joe.......I've had my LSII speakers for at least 5 years now and they're here to stay. Most of my audiophile disc/SACD collection is rock and blues, but these speakers do well with whatever's thown their way. I like their resolution/detail, killer dynamic range and midrange. They're bass-shy in the lower register, but still rock the Casbah with or without a sub
    Main: McIntosh C500C/T, MC501(2), MCD500, MR85, Marantz SA11-S3, M-Dynalab MD-108, Klipsch La Scala II, JL Audio F-212, AQ Kilimanjaro, WW Platinum Electra/Eclipse, Billy Bags.

Man Cave: McIntosh C46, MC252, MR85, Marantz SA-11S3, SA-KI-Pearl, UD5007, Klipsch Cornwall III, JL Audio F-113, Sony NX800 55" HDTV, AQ Volcano/Vodka, WW Gold Electra/Eclipse, Sanus.

Office: Marantz PM-11S3, SA-11S3, SA-15S2B, M-Dynalab DT-5, Klipsch Chorus II, AQ Volcano/Sky/NRG Wild, Sanus.

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by MDP View Post

I love those !!
    They look like serious music gospel (devotion) reproducers.
    ~ Bob ~
    "And it Stoned me to my Soul" Van Morrison
    ClickAudiophile Audition
    Snoopy as the Red Baron attack
    Avatar = The Alan Parsons Project - Eye in the Sky (1982 - orbiting)

Super Moderator

Hiker, Brad,

Thank you so much for commenting. I keep coming back to the standards. I am not sure where I'll end up but I love my Cornwall III's and keep thinking about La Scalas, Klipschorns (too bad I don't have two opposite corners) and Volti Vittoras.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by MDP View Post

I love those !!
    Me too. All I need is a few watts.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada

Whats? ...Would ten be sufficient?
    ~ Bob ~
    "And it Stoned me to my Soul" Van Morrison
    ClickAudiophile Audition
    Snoopy as the Red Baron attack
    Avatar = The Alan Parsons Project - Eye in the Sky (1982 - orbiting)

I heard the Volti Vittora at Axpona last spring. They sounded great; very detailed without being fatiguing.

Volti.jpg

Super Moderator

I would love the Volti Vittora.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Joe,

I've had my Volti Vittoras for about a year and can say they are wonderful speakers. I've had more speakers than I care to admit, starting with various Klipsch models which I enjoyed very much. I got away from horns for a number of years in the quest to find something "better" and tried various non-horn speakers, but ultimately returned to horns with the Vittoras. I'm very glad I did.

Van
    Volti Vittora speakers, Raven Audio Spirit Reference 300B monoblocks, Raven Audio Silhouette Reference pre-amp, Linn Klimax DS, AMG V12 turntable, Micro Benz Ebony cartrige, High Fidelity Ultimate Reference cables.

Audioshark

Van - congrats on a wonderful pair of speakers. Greg's speakers are amazing. Do you have the sub? What amps are you using? Some sweet 300B?
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Super Moderator

Hi Van,

I am happy to read that. I'd love to have a pair of Vittoras.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Thanks Mike. Yes, I have the matching sub. I pair the Vittoras with electronics from Raven Audio (note the equipment list below post). The monoblocks - each have a pair of the Sophia Royal Princess 300Bs - put out 20 to 25 watts. I tried several different tube and solid state amps before deciding on the Ravens. All sounded good, just liked the synergy with the Ravens more...

Van
    Volti Vittora speakers, Raven Audio Spirit Reference 300B monoblocks, Raven Audio Silhouette Reference pre-amp, Linn Klimax DS, AMG V12 turntable, Micro Benz Ebony cartrige, High Fidelity Ultimate Reference cables.

Audioshark

Van, the Raven gear is gorgeous. Congrats.

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

My neighbor has a pair of Klipschorns, and I have a pair of RF-7 II's sitting around.

Super Moderator

I always wanted to hear a pair of K-horns. I had a pair of RB bookshelf speakers that were fun to listen to. Klipsch has some great speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    My neighbor has a pair of Klipschorns, and I have a pair of RF-7 II's sitting around.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Audioshark

Bump

Prior to my Orangutans I had a pair of LaScala IIs. Dynamic, detailed and able to play just about any type of music. I had them paired up with a pair of Velodyne DD10Plus subs for a real room filling experience. It was hard to part with them but they did go to a good home
    DALE

Main system: Shindo Masseto, Shindo Cortese, Devore Orangutan O/96, Thorens TD125 MkII by Artisan Fidelity, Ortofon RS-309D, Ortofon SPU Classic, W4S modded Sonos, Metrum dac, Shindo
    and Auditorium A23 cables.
    Second system: Accuphase E-280, B & W CWM7.3 S2, W4S modded Sonos,Metrum dac, A23 cables
    Garage system: Yamaha A-S2100 integrated, JBL PRO 3677, Sonos thru Cambridge Dac Magic.

Super Moderator

I've wanted LaScala II's for a long time, but have been more than satisfied with my Cornwall III's. Maybe someday

NAD C 658 streamer.

The person I sold my Job to, I believe he has a pair of LaScala's. Think that's what the Job will be driving. He came up briefly to Bob's to pick up the amp. Nice guy. I'll ping him to see if he'll add to this thread.

Allen

Super Moderator

Job 225 and horns is a great combination!

NAD C 658 streamer.

I haven't hooked up the LaScala's to the Job 225 yet. I'll get to that once I receive the Job Pre2 (I received shipping confirmation today) and I finish up with the ALK crossovers in the La Scalas. I have the Job paired with tweaked Klipsch Heresy's and it immediately revealed something I was missing with the Rogue Chronus Magnums that it replaced.
    Allen, thanks for breaking the Job in.

I haven't hooked up the La Scala's to the Job 225 yet. I'll get to that once I receive the Job Pre2 (I received shipping confirmation today) and I finish up with the ALK crossovers in the La Scalas. I have the Job paired with tweaked Klipsch Heresy's and it immediately revealed something I was missing with the Rogue Chronus Magnums that it replaced.
    Allen, thanks for breaking the Job in.

Allen, thanks for warming the Job up and updating the fuse.
    I haven't hooked the La Scala's up to the Job 225 just yet. I'm waiting for the Job Pre2 to arrive (I received a tracking number today) and I also still need to hook up the ALK crossovers.
    Currently, I have the Job 225 with a pair of tweaked Klipsch Heresy Industrial speakers and the Job brought the room to life.
    I'll post back when I get this all up and running.

Super Moderator

That's awesome! You'll love the Job on the LaScala.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfinwool View Post
    Allen, thanks for warming the Job up and updating the fuse.
    I haven't hooked the La Scala's up to the Job 225 just yet. I'm waiting for the Job Pre2 to arrive (I received a tracking number today) and I also still need to hook up the ALK crossovers.
    Currently, I have the Job 225 with a pair of tweaked Klipsch Heresy Industrial speakers and the Job brought the room to life.
    I'll post back when I get this all up and running.
    Haha, welcome wolfinwool! I'm so glad you joined! I'm sure you'll like it here in the Shark Tank.

You know, I do have seller's remorse. But I am glad you are enjoying the Job - it's a FANTASTIC amp!!

Allen

I still remember when I got my first pair of La Scalas. I was playing some music pretty loud, and went around the corner to get something to drink. When I returned with a friend...he commented that there was a band playing... He was shocked when it turned out be my La Scalas!

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk
    HT setup Klipsch K402MEH speakers, Marantz AV8805A Pre, Icepower 125asx2BTL and 50asx2BTL amps Klipsch150m speakers, Zappiti Reference.

Stereo setup same as above for speakers and amps. Denefrips Athena Pre, Pontus ii DAC, Lumin U1 Mini streamer

Quote Originally Posted by NorthStar View Post
    Whats? ...Would ten be sufficient?
    Yup, unless you want to really crank them. 10wpc will give you reference levels when watching movies.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk
    HT setup Klipsch K402MEH speakers, Marantz AV8805A Pre, Icepower 125asx2BTL and 50asx2BTL amps Klipsch150m speakers, Zappiti Reference.

Stereo setup same as above for speakers and amps. Denefrips Athena Pre, Pontus ii DAC, Lumin U1 Mini streamer

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Any owners of the current Klipsch La Scala II speakers here? ...