Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

D'Agostino Stereo Amp ordered!

Just placed an order for one of these beauties. I went with the standard color - thought hard about going with black but at the end, that silver - copper color is stunning.

Can't wait to get the amp and new speakers delivered.

Mike

Mike

Amplification: MBL 6010D, MBL 9008A Monos
    Analog: Kuzma R, Kuzma 4Point (11”), MSL Ultra Eminent EX
    Phono Pre: Pass XP-27
    Digital: Esoteric N01XD Esoteric K05
    Speakers: MBL 101E MKII
    Subwoofers: REL Carbon Specials
    Conditioner: Shunyata Triton 3
    Power Cables: Shunyata Sigma 1 & 2, Alpha 2, Delta and Venom
    ICs and SCs: Wireworld Platinum 8
    Rack: Artesania Exoteryc

Audioshark

Re: D'Agostino Stereo Amp ordered!

Mike - wow! Big congrats!!!!!! This is the best SS amp on the planet IMO! Congrats!

Mike
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Wow, forget about the baby steps you just leapfrogged to the finish line! Congrats!
    Doug

Mike...that is awesome. I heard this combination (with the D'Agostino pre) at a demo at Fidelis in NH. You are in for a real treat as you well know. D'Ag amp and Alexias are a match made in heaven. Well done and congrats! By the way, the Ref 5SE will mate very well with the D'Ag amp according to all the show reports I have read which had that combo before Dan came out with the preamp (it seemed to be the preferred combo of ARC pres with his amps and WIlson speakers).
    Cyril
    Speakers/Amp/Preamp: Thiel CS2.4 / ARC Ref 110 / ARC Ref 3
    Sources: Basis 2001/Graham2.2/Nagra BPS/Benz Micro Glider SL, Dynavector 20X2-L, ARC CD7, Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Cables/Power/Other: Nordost Heimdall ICs, SCs / Shunyata Hydra 8, Shunyata Python Helix PC / VPI 16.5, HRS Nimbus isolation system

Audioshark

It's the best synergy I've ever heard.

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

Quote Originally Posted by cmalak View Post
    Mike...that is awesome. I heard this combination (with the D'Agostino pre) at a demo at Fidelis in NH. You are in for a real treat as you well know. D'Ag amp and Alexias are a match made in heaven. Well done and congrats! By the way, the Ref 5SE will mate very well with the D'Ag amp according to all the show reports I have read which had that combo before Dan came out with the preamp (it seemed to be the preferred combo of ARC pres with his amps and WIlson speakers).
    +1 on the Congrats! I have heard the Ref 5SE and the Momentum Stereo...great combination imho. Enjoy!
    Speaker: Wilson Audio XLF + Velodyne DD18+
    Source: Zanden 4-Box Digital
    Amp: Robert Koda K15EX + Gryphon Mephisto Stereo

Cable: TA Opus (Gen5) + Sablon Audio Prince (Orange)
    Power: 7 Dedicated Lines Furutech + Torus AVR 16 + Burmester 948 + NordostQX4
    Isolation: Under: SRA+HRS+Stillpoints+Auralex Top: HRS+Artesania+Entreq+EAT+90kg Mass
    Ground/Shield: Tripoint Troy Sig & Thor + Entreq Atlantis / Receivus +Everest+Wrap
    Room/Tube: Stillpoints Apertures / Amperex + Mullard
    Headphone Setup: Sennheiser 650 + Arcam rHead + Apogee Groove

Audioshark

I just love the looks of the D'Agostino amps. In person they are even more stunning than in pictures.

Audioshark

Mike - I think you made a smart choice with the copper/silver.

Congrats!

Other than the cost. There are no drawbacks to that amp.

How long do you have to wait? Waiting is the hardest part!
    Jock

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

---------

House: Naim ND555/2PS, Naim 552, Naim 500, Studer A80/Doshi V3, Magico M2s, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Lumina IC/SC, Shunyata Everest and Omega PCs.

Workshop: Naim ND555/2 PS, VAC Master Pre, VAC Sig 200iQ, Border Patrol pre/power, Avant Garde Duo Mezzo XD, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Shunyata IC/SC, Shunyata Typhon QR/Triton V3/Sigma PCs.

Congrats!! You must be pacing the floor in anticipation!
    Rick

Ayre MX-R Focal Diablo Utopia III REL S/2 (x2) emm Labs PRE2, DAC2X Aurender N10 Shunyata Triton/Typhon, Zitron Python, Zitron Alpha HC, Zitron Alpha Digital and Zitron Alpha Analog PC's Siltech Royal Signature Prince SC's, Royal Signature Princess IC's, Royal Signature Golden Ridge II AES/EBU Quadraspire Q4L Rack

Best of luck Mike! A fine choice.

Thanks guys! This is the combo I heard a few weeks ago with Mark (MDP) in Dallas. It really hit me - as you can see.

The toughest decision was - mono vs stereo. But, my room is medium size - 16.5 X 19. The stereo version should be plenty of power.

Now the wait begins...will know early next week. I'm hopeful that it will be mid December.
    Last edited by Ritmo; November 9, 2013 at 04:51 PM. Reason: Typos

Mike

With the Alexia's you will never run out of power w the stereo version. If you ever switch speakers and need the monos, you can always have them convert it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ritmo View Post
    Thanks guys! This is the combo I heard a fees ago with Mark (MDP) in Dallas. It really hit me - as you can see.

The toughest decision was - mono vs stereo. But, my room is medium size - 16.5 X 19. The stereo version should be plenty of power.

Now the wait begins...will know early next week. I'm hopeful that it will be mid December.
    Jock

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

---------

House: Naim ND555/2PS, Naim 552, Naim 500, Studer A80/Doshi V3, Magico M2s, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Lumina IC/SC, Shunyata Everest and Omega PCs.

Workshop: Naim ND555/2 PS, VAC Master Pre, VAC Sig 200iQ, Border Patrol pre/power, Avant Garde Duo Mezzo XD, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Shunyata IC/SC, Shunyata Typhon QR/Triton V3/Sigma PCs.

Audioshark

Thanks guys! This is the combo I heard a fees ago with Mark (MDP) in Dallas. It really hit me - as you can see.

Mike - the stereo is the smart choice!

Behavior Moderator (be nice police!)

Thanks guys! This is the combo I heard a few weeks ago with Mark (MDP) in Dallas. It really hit me - as you can see.

Mike, congrats on a great choice ! That amp is the best I've heard with the Alexia !!
    Last edited by MDP; November 9, 2013 at 04:59 PM.
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs XP32......incoming
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    VPI Avenger with Magnetic Drive
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    Ortofon Cadenza Black cartridge
    Kharma Elegance speaker cables
    Kharma Elegance interconnects
    REL Subs

The good news is you can always upgrade to monos, but I was surprised at how much juice the stereo had. Played plenty loud here! Wonderful amplifier... Hope you enjoy it as much as we did when we had it in for review!

Congrats on the Mom S. It is a keeper.

I love mine and it is equally at home with tube or ss, bal or se pre amps.

Cheers
    Source: Technics SP10mk3 - Thales Simplicity II, TW Raven AC-3 - Graham Phantom, SME 3012-R, Exclusive P3,,Linn LP12 - Naim ARO
    Cartridges: Lyra Atlas Lambda SL, Lyra Etna SL, Lyra Delos, Dynavector XV-1s,Technics EPC100mk4, Ortofon A90, GM Royal, GM Classic, Denon ESC'd 103R, DL-S1, Audio Technica AT25, OC9II, Linn ESC'd Troika
    Phono Stage: Phasemation EA-1200, Accuphase C-37,TW Acustik phono
    EQ: ​DEQX HDP-4
    Preamp: D'Agostino HD, conrad johnson GAT,
    Amps: conrad johnson teflon premier 8a's, D'Agostino Momentum S250
    Speakers: Wilson Maxx3

Mike Congrats on the D'Agostino amp , this is my new favorite amp. really excited for you

Kevin

Thank you guys! I'll know later this week when it will be delivered.

Mike

Congrats Mike. What did the Alexia do that Salon2 was missing?
    Gryphon Essence stereo amp and preamp/dac Hurricane power cords
    Fyne Audio F1-10, Lumin T2, Moon 260 Transport
    Shunyata Research Everest, Sigma V2 XC,
    Shunyata Research Sigma USB and Ethernet
    Argento Audio speaker cables and interconnects

Congratulations Mike. I know you will be happy with the pairing. Dan makes great gear.
    Jim

D'Agostino Momentum M-400's MxV’s & HD Pre-amp
    Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2 speakers
    Digital: dCS Vivaldi APEX DAC, Clock & Upsampler
    Analog: SME 20/3 with Esoteric E-03 Phono
    Transparent Opus Speaker Cable & Interconnects & Opus Power Cords
    Power Cords on Digital: Shunyata
    Power Conditioner - Shunyata Everest

Thanks Jim! I know you are very happy with your amps. Look forward to the DAG amp and what it will do to my system.

Mike

Well, approaching 300 hrs and the DAG continues to impress. It barely works to drive the Alexias in my room. Sweetness re-defined!

Mike

Audioshark

Mike - glad you are loving the D'Agostino amp! It's my go-to amp. It really is special.

Banned

D'Agostino is one product I have yet to hear and look forward to such, what differences do you guys find in comparison to the stereo v/s mono blocks

I've heard them both, with the Alexia's and with Sasha's. The one big difference I heard was simply how loud they would go. The stereo amp ran out of gas a little sooner, but honestly we were listening pretty loud by that time. It felt like the Alexia's could take much more than what the mono's had on tap...they just never gave up. For an extra 15-20K, the mono's are overkill if you don't listen loud (like over 90DBA from ~10FT) -- at least with Alexia's or Sasha's. YMMV with other loudspeakers.

Tonality, they sounded the same to me. In fact, my dealer sold his mono demo pair and went with the stereo pair for this same reason. It was just overkill for the purposes of demoing. All that said, if had the extra kitty, I'd get the mono's.

Bryan
    Ref System: Wilson Alexx on Stillpoint Ultras w/Base, dCS Rossini & Upsampler & Clock, Audio Research REF 160S, REF 6SE, WW Platinum Everywhere, Roon
    Office System: B&W N802D2, NAD M10
    Living Room System: B&W N804D, NAD M10, Velodyne DD+10
    Bedroom: Dynaudio Focus 160, NAD M10, Velodyne DD+10

I just switched my stereos w monos for my D3s.

There is a big difference. Played softly they have blacker blacks - lower noise floor. The ease that the monos have even at low volumes is better than the stereo. You never know the stereo is straining until you hear the monos. Again this is at low volume.

Played loudly - well, in comparison the stereo is like a toy in comparison. And trust me the stereo is a GREAT BALLSY AMP. I Highley recommend it. But, the monos are better.
    Jock

---------

Cool !!
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    REL Subs

I asked my dealer about pairing the Dag stereo amp with 5SE, he said the Dag pre was a better combo. For those who've heard both pairings, what are your impressions?

Bob,

I am extremely happy with the 5SE and DAG stereo amp combo. They have very good synergy and sound wonderful. Mark (MDP) heard this combination with me at Audio Concepts last November. He may want to comment as well.

I have not done a comparison of my system configuration with both DAG units so I cannot comment. I suppose DAG + DAG = Fantastic Sound; but, at a much higher cost over the 5SE and DAG combo.

Thx!

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Bobvin View Post
    I asked my dealer about pairing the Dag stereo amp with 5SE, he said the Dag pre was a better combo. For those who've heard both pairings, what are your impressions?
    Just saw this thread. I have an ARC 40th Anniversary, not the same as the 5SE obviously but perhaps similar enough. Compared it to the DAG Pre recently. The 40th Anniversary is more holographic, perhaps more 3D. The Dag pre is quieter , black background, better details, bass etc. Both very musical. Hard to choose between the 2. Dag is more neutral, shows changes in the system easily. Dag is still breaking in, approx. 100-150 hours by now, but exceptional right out of the flight case.

Connected all new Nordost Valhalla 2 cables in the system yesterday, brand new cables. WOW! I've never been a big fan of expensive cables. I've sold lots, and certainly heard the improvements, but I've always had a harder time justifying them. The V2 is something else...if the system sounds this good with new cables, I can't wait for them to break in!

The ARC is one of the best tube preamps I've ever personally experienced. I think it's destined to be a classic. The Dag may well be the best all rounder.
    Industry disclaimer: I am a dealer of D'Agostino Electronics, Wilson Audio, McIntosh, Devialet, KEF, Magnepan, Martin Logan, Wadia PMC, Nordost, VPI, Spatial speakers, Audeze, Wyred 4 Sound etc, so anything I say related to Audio/Video is most likely biased...not that there's anything wrong with that!

https://www.facebook.com/audioexcellencecanada

It's a damn good one Adrian, I've heard it at Jock's house many times.
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    REL Subs

ARC Ref 5SE and the DAG Stereo amp is a fantastic combination.

Mike

I found the Dag Stereo matched even better with the cj GAT than the ARC Ref5se.

cj has better bass control and an aliveness in the mids and upper frequencies that the REf5se could not match.

I am sure this may change depending on system.

cheers
    Source: Technics SP10mk3 - Thales Simplicity II, TW Raven AC-3 - Graham Phantom, SME 3012-R, Exclusive P3,,Linn LP12 - Naim ARO
    Cartridges: Lyra Atlas Lambda SL, Lyra Etna SL, Lyra Delos, Dynavector XV-1s,Technics EPC100mk4, Ortofon A90, GM Royal, GM Classic, Denon ESC'd 103R, DL-S1, Audio Technica AT25, OC9II, Linn ESC'd Troika

Super Moderator

Bump.

Just wondering how you D'agostino guys are doing?
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    Bump.

Very good Joe

The Stereo amp is sounding better than ever!

I am even going to have a listen to the mono blocks to see if I can hear any musically superior difference

Miss yours at all?

Bump.

Joe,

Very happy with the amp. It is sounding wonderful.

Thx for asking!

Mike

Hallo Mike,
    you have changed the speaker (before Sasha2 or?) and the ARC Ref75 with a new Dag stereo in silber! well is a personal taste. Sure Dag is a good choice but I have purchasung the Pass xa100.8 in place from Dag stereo (my taste black!! ) and the monos Pass are too more expenive (here!!) vr. the Dag. but i'm happy with the Pass products.
    what for color are the Alexia?

wait the pictures!!

Thank you for info!
    greets Omar

Omar,

Prior to the Alexias, my speakers were Revel Salon 2s (a speaker I still like very much). My amp for these speakers was ARC DS-450 - a fairly nice amp for the money. My Alexias are black.

The Pass amps are excellent components. I'm sure you'll be very happy. By the way I also considered the 200.8 and 160.8 amps.

Thx!

Mike

Hi Mike,
    my Sasha2 are in Obsidian black: very similar black but metallic black.....

Less delicate than black "glossy" ....

Wilson still tuttii colors are beautiful.

Xa100.8 is as powerful as a dag 200watt AB class ..... you can drive too the Alexia no problem.

My dealer has a NEW Dag stereo with a discount of 40% !!!! still to break in! and a preampli too, some condition!
    inventories of stock - (change of importer)

well a real bargain !!!

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by XV-1 View Post
    Very good Joe

The Stereo amp is sounding better than ever!

I am even going to have a listen to the mono blocks to see if I can hear any musically superior difference

Miss yours at all?
    Is it that obvious? Yes, I do miss it and think it may have been outstanding on my Strads. I confess to be thinking about replacing them again.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Is it that obvious? Yes, I do miss it and think it may have been outstanding on my Strads. I confess to be thinking about replacing them again.
    Ha!

Replacing your Strads or buying another Dag amp?

Super Moderator

Never parting with the Strads. I plan on being buried in my Strad boxes, so another Dag, maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by XV-1 View Post
    Ha!

Replacing your Strads or buying another Dag amp?

NAD C 658 streamer.

I plan on being buried in my Strad boxes

Are they large enough ?

LOL-You need to simply put on your thinking cap. Can always do waist up in one box and waist down in the other box. Being buried in your beloved equipment boxes does also allow more flexibility when you also choose monoblocks over stereo amps in terms of "fitting In". Just saying. Not sure my beloved wife will be down with this concept.

Nick
    Nick

Main system :TAD CR1 speakers, Viola Labs Symphony amp,Pass XP-20 preamp., MSB Discrete DAC with twin power supplies and V2 Renderer module, Gigafoil V4 inline ethernet filter with uptone LPS-1 power supply with Ghent audio Gotham 2.1mm to 2.5mm cable and AG diamond ethernet cable, Sonicorbitor Roon Audiophile 6 TB network server-player , MG Audio Design Planus III jumpers & speaker cables, Zitron Cobra power cords, Shunyata Hydra AV, and acoustic zen absolute copper IC,. Room treatment ASC tower traps, Vicoustic absorber premium cinema wall and ceiling panels, and MSR acoustic trifusser side wall panel

Super Moderator

Ha!

I think between the two boxes, someone could make me fit.

Quote Originally Posted by PacMan View Post

Are they large enough ?

NAD C 658 streamer.

Super Moderator

Hahahahahahahaha, So true. Too funny.

Quote Originally Posted by veindoc View Post
    LOL-You need to simply put on your thinking cap. Can always do waist up in one box and waist down in the other box. Being buried in your beloved equipment boxes does also allow more flexibility when you also choose monoblocks over stereo amps in terms of "fitting In". Just saying. Not sure my beloved wife will be down with this concept.

Nick

NAD C 658 streamer.

Which boxes are best to be buried in ?
    That is the question.
    Maybe the Kef Muon boxes are perfect coffins ?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hallo Ritmo,

the Dag stereo with ARC premapli is a good match? -> synergy is good?

I can have a dag preampli for my Pass ampli Xa100.8 -> What do you thing?

can you give me a reply?
    thank you very much!

db33 -

The ARC Ref5 and the DAG stereo amp work extremely well together. Very musical presentation. Highly recommended. I have not done a comparison with an all DAG pre and amp but I would expect it to be superior to my combo.

Regarding a PASS and DAG combo, I'm afraid I cannot comment. I have not heard such a combo nor have I read anyone write about it. Sorry...

Mike

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

D'Agostino Stereo Amp ordered!