Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
    Audioshark

PS Audio NuWave Phono Converter

I wasn't quite sure where to put this.....but it is certainly interesting....

http://www.psaudio.com/shop/nuwave-phono-converter/

NuWave Phono Converter
    $1,895

PS Audio’s NuWave Phono Converter, NPC, is a new category for the High End that combines a state-of-the-art phono preamplifier and analog DSD/PCM converter together in a world’s first. This is high resolution audio at its best.

The NPC is a no-compromise approach to vinyl and analog reproduction in a high end audio system. The NPC accepts inputs from any analog source from tuners to turntables. This means users can input anything from an iPod to a $100,000 turntable setup, connecting the output of the NPC directly to a DAC, computer or preamplifier. Once connected you can play vinyl discs or any analog source either directly into your preamplifier, through the NPC’s analog outputs, or DAC through the NPC’s multiple asynchronous digital outputs. You can also connect the NPC to your computer and RIP (record) to your heart’s content in either double DSD or 192kHz 24 bit PCM. This is the device you need if you’re going to build a library.

The NPC produces both DSD and PCM from its digital outputs and high resolution fully balanced analog from its audio outputs. Use the NPC as the vinyl heart of your purely analog setup or digital setup. Either way, albums and analog sources of all types come alive with the NuWave Phono Converter.

High resolution balanced or single ended analog outputs
    High resolution asynchronous DSD and PCM outputs
    1 stereo analog input from any source such as a tuner
    1 stereo phono input
    Accepts low output moving coil cartridges (0.3mv)
    Moving magnet cartridges
    Passive RIAA curve
    Resistive cartridge load selector
    Mono or stereo select
    100% pure analog path for the phono stage
    Gain select from the front panel
    Asynchronous digital output to 192kHz 24 bit
    Asynchronous DSD output at 64X and 128X
    Polarity invert function
    XLR, RCA analog outputs
    S/PDIF, I2S, USB digital outputs
    80kHz bandwidth on A/D Converter
    Incoming A/D sample rate 352.8kHz
    DoP protocols for DSD
    Massive power supply
    Front panel OLED display
    RIP to either Mac or PC in DSD or PCM
    Build a library of your vinyl, tape or from radio broadcasts
    Record live events or even studio work without compromise
    Play live into any DAC with DSD or PCM

My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Re: PS Audio NuWave Phono Converter

This is one of those products where you wonder why it's taken so long for it to be introduced. It is an interesting idea. I would think most people want separate boxes to make it easy for trying new things down the road, but for someone looking to buy one and be done, it works.
    Doug

Audioshark

Doug - there are many people in the two audiophile clubs I belong to who have been talking about a product like this for a long time. I'm going to buy one and lend it out to them to try (or at least some of the sample rips I make). I suspect many will purchase one. I love the fact that it rips to double DSD (and 24/192 PCM). Talk about having foresight! I know Paul and his team have been tackling this exciting project for a while. We all want the sound of vinyl, with the convenience of digital. This product definitely bridges the gap...exciting!

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Doug - there are many people in the two audiophile clubs I belong to who have been talking about a product like this for a long time. I'm going to buy one and lend it out to them to try (or at least some of the sample rips I make). I suspect many will purchase one. I love the fact that it rips to double DSD (and 24/192 PCM). Talk about having foresight! I know Paul and his team have been tackling this exciting project for a while. We all want the sound of vinyl, with the convenience of digital. This product definitely bridges the gap...exciting!
    Mike, did you end up purchasing one of these?

Mike
    Avanti Audio

arc sp-11 or ls27 | arc d130 | vpi classic 2 w/periphery ring w/Si3N4 bearing & sapphire thrust plate & 2x jmw 10.5i | phoenix engineering eagle & road runner | ortofon cadenza bronze, miyajima zero mono | sentec eq11 w/ Sylvania 5751 TMBP & CBS 7318 | auditorium a23 | canton ref 9 dc | 2x m&k v125 | oppo bdp-95 | chord qutest | lumin d1 & sbooster | avanti audio vivace cables

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by MikeCh View Post
    Mike, did you end up purchasing one of these?

Mike
    Hi Mike - not yet - but I'm planning on it. Too much other stuff going on with the system. I need to wait for the dust to settle. My biggest beef is that there is no convenient way to separate out tracks. Lots of stop, start, tagging. PITA.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Hi Mike - not yet - but I'm planning on it. Too much other stuff going on with the system. I need to wait for the dust to settle. My biggest beef is that there is no convenient way to separate out tracks. Lots of stop, start, tagging. PITA.

Mike
    Hi Mike,

Though I like the idea of the all in one unit, I find myself on the fence due to a couple of things.

One: is the phono section of the NPC better than what I'm currently using?
    Two: I would still need a high quality DAC (if I understand correct) to output PCM or DSD to anything other than my computer for future streaming/listening away from the computer. So, even with the convenience of the NPC it's only half of the equation.

More research on my part is necessary to find the right combination of parts.

Mike
    Avanti Audio

arc sp-11 or ls27 | arc d130 | vpi classic 2 w/periphery ring w/Si3N4 bearing & sapphire thrust plate & 2x jmw 10.5i | phoenix engineering eagle & road runner | ortofon cadenza bronze, miyajima zero mono | sentec eq11 w/ Sylvania 5751 TMBP & CBS 7318 | auditorium a23 | canton ref 9 dc | 2x m&k v125 | oppo bdp-95 | chord qutest | lumin d1 & sbooster | avanti audio vivace cables

Review of the NPC here: PS Audio NuWavePhono Converter

This thing has my interest again....
    Avanti Audio

Review of the NPC here: PS Audio NuWavePhono Converter

This thing has my interest again....
    are u getting one? not a product for me. i like to change records . but id be curious as to your opinion . sounds cool enough
    Steve

TUBES & VINYL
    Is there anything else?

Rega/Ortofon/Viva 300b/KR

Music Reference 2A3

Altec/JBL

Hi Steve,

I'm still on the fence and still very much confused about what I need/want.

The NPC would allow a nice (and seamless) interface for me to capture LP's in the digital realm direct to a computer, so in that regard it's quite attractive.

I'm also exploring either the Mytek Stereo192-DSD or Benchmark DAC2 HGC as they both incorporate an ADC + DAC but without the phono section like the PS Audio NPC has. With the Mytek or Benchmark, I could then continue to use one of my existing phono preamps and use the DAC built into the Mytek or Benchmark for other digital purposes too.

I don't know, I think I'm more confused than ever on this topic.
    Avanti Audio

I think I posted in another thread the Stereophile/Analog Planet review by Michael Fremer and let's just say he was not that impressed with it as a phono stage.
    Cyril
    Speakers/Amp/Preamp: Thiel CS2.4 / ARC Ref 110 / ARC Ref 3
    Sources: Basis 2001/Graham2.2/Nagra BPS/Benz Micro Glider SL, Dynavector 20X2-L, ARC CD7, Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Cables/Power/Other: Nordost Heimdall ICs, SCs / Shunyata Hydra 8, Shunyata Python Helix PC / VPI 16.5, HRS Nimbus isolation system

Quote Originally Posted by cmalak View Post
    I think I posted in another thread the Stereophile/Analog Planet review by Michael Fremer and let's just say he was not that impressed with it as a phono stage.
    Thanks for the heads up Cyril! Off to find that review now.
    Avanti Audio

Found it. Read it. Hmmmm.....
    Avanti Audio

Sorry...should have posted it. Of course if you can demo it in your system from a local dealer, that's the best way to go as you can formulate your own opinion.
    Cyril
    Sources: Basis 2001/Graham2.2/Nagra BPS/Benz Micro Glider SL, Dynavector 20X2-L, ARC CD7, Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Cables/Power/Other: Nordost Heimdall ICs, SCs / Shunyata Hydra 8, Shunyata Python Helix PC / VPI 16.5, HRS Nimbus isolation system

Sorry...should have posted it. Of course if you can demo it in your system from a local dealer, that's the best way to go as you can formulate your own opinion.
    Agreed about the proper way to listen....an in home demo. However, therein lies the challenge. No dealers around here that I'm aware.

At the end of the day, I think I'd be better off sticking with either of my existing phono stages or purchasing a new/separate phono stage if needed (thinking ultimate flexibility here) and just going with a dedicated ADC + DAC such as the Benchmark or Mytek if the ripping of vinyl comes to fruition.
    Avanti Audio

and just going with a dedicated ADC + DAC such as the Benchmark or Mytek if the ripping of vinyl comes to fruition.
    Mike...I believe Mikey Fremer uses the Ayre QA-9 for his reference ADC (Ayre Acoustics 9 Series) in case you want to check that one out and compare it to the Benchmark and Mytek units. If you want to go with a more value oriented multifunction piece (Headphone amp, DAC, and ADC), there is the ADL Esprit: ADL GT40 | USBDAC | Products | ADL

Hope this helps.
    Cyril

Mike...I believe Mikey Fremer uses the Ayre QA-9 for his reference ADC (Ayre Acoustics 9 Series) in case you want to check that one out and compare it to the Benchmark and Mytek units. If you want to go with a more value oriented multifunction piece (Headphone amp, DAC, and ADC), there is the ADL Esprit: ADL GT40 | USBDAC | Products | ADL

Hope this helps.
    Thanks again Cyril. Due to recent budget constraints, I think I'm going to remain focused on my cartridge upgrade first. Between now and the cart upgrade there should be time for me to study this analog-to-digital and digital-to-analog thing a lot more.
    Avanti Audio

Mike...sounds like a plan. What cart are you getting and what will it be replacing? Thx
    Cyril

Ortofon Cadenza Blue or Bronze...leaning toward the Bronze, replacing a Dynavector 20X2H currently in use.
    Avanti Audio

Ortofon Cadenza Blue or Bronze...leaning toward the Bronze, replacing a Dynavector 20X2H currently in use.
    I run the Cadenza Bronze and love it so I may be biased, but the sound of these two cartridges differs more than you might think. The Bronze has a hint of warmth to it along with the superbly smooth tracking Replicant 100 stylus, while the Blue with its ruby cantilever and FG70 stylus profile is exceptionally detailed with an emphasis on speed. So I'd say which one you choose should be based upon the direction you'd like to take your system.

You guys are killing me...

Please allow me to express an opinion without disparaging PS Audio. But in my humble opinion this is the biggest piece of snake oil I have ever seen. And $1895 solution where an under $100 solution will match it...There is nothing, nothing at all this offers different. Just a fancy box.

I urge you, talk to me before you waste money...at the least..if you can piss away $1895 that easy, then piss away another $100 and try mine also ..side by side...and hope there is a good return program for the PS Audio...serious

I have reviewed this, it offers nothing different, no enhanced, cleaner, better capture ability. The only thing it requires is that you do have a good soundcard for the analog system to pass through into the capture software,

Anyone interested ?
    MAIN RIG: Equipment: Marantz SR4023 as Pre / Velleman K4040 Tube Power Amp / Yamaha M65 Power Amp / Polk Monitor 70's with Polk Sub / ClearAudio Concept table with Musical Surroundings Phonomena II Phono Stage and ClearAudio Concept MC cart /Pioneer PL500 TT with AT440MLa

Be the person your dog thinks you are...

What are you proposing Rob?
    Avanti Audio

No Mike, don't do it! Spend the $1,895

I believe Rob has already posted in another thread that there is software that you can use and you need a good quality soundcard to do the capture. By the way, I remember TAS did a big feature on how to capture/digitize analog using Channel D PureVinyl. Here you go: Channel D Pure Vinyl Software and Seta Phonostage | The Absolute Sound

I have not read it but I remember the headline and just googled it so hopefully this helps. I do remember that PureVinyl was awarded best software application for digitizing analog at TAS. Not sure what other options there are but I am sure Rob will chime in.
    Cyril

I'll prove it to you...later today or early tomorrow, I will record 2 or 3 songs using my existing setup ...captured to a laptop using the software. Yes, a laptop. Then, I will post the wav files captured. YOU tell Me about the quality and if you think $1800 more can make it better,,..fair ?
    MAIN RIG: Equipment: Marantz SR4023 as Pre / Velleman K4040 Tube Power Amp / Yamaha M65 Power Amp / Polk Monitor 70's with Polk Sub / ClearAudio Concept table with Musical Surroundings Phonomena II Phono Stage and ClearAudio Concept MC cart /Pioneer PL500 TT with AT440MLa

Rob...are you using PureVinyl (see my post above)?
    Cyril

Just so you guys know..where this all started. About a year or so ago, I bought a setup - the DAK analog to digital converter. It came with a simple mixer and some pretty awesome software. Very good capture software (with bells and whistles) , a cleanup software that eliminates pops crackles or hiss...again nice tailorable software and a song splitter. Basically, you can record a whole album side and this will suggest/break it into individual tracks based on the gaps.

At the time, someone also donated to me an Echo Gina sound card and breakout box...very cool. Worked awesome. But what I found was I could actually skip the mixer, skip the Echo Gina, load the software on a laptop and just use the input in...still works awesome...

So I will do the test this weekend and make it accessible to you guys. Then its up to you. What could be easier then

OUT OF YOUR PHONO STAGE
    INTO YOUR LAPTOP
    Captured...Done.

Right ? For under $100

This was the original setup..worth buying JUST FOR the software...beats the free stuff...

LPs To CDs - LPs to MP3s - LPs To Your iPod - Vinyl To CD Perfection Turntable And Interface Mixer

Cyril, I read that article when it came out in December....that's what spurred me into this downward spiral of trying to find the right combo of gear and software. I'll re-read it again though!
    Avanti Audio

Rob,

I'll listen to your rip(s). Though at this time the only "tool" I have to port it is via my Squeezebox Classic (wireless from laptop to Squeezebox) and not a dedicated DAC so not sure if that's a fair comparison?

Again, all of this A to D and D to A stuff requires a good mix of gear + software to really make it worthwhile. If there's an inexpensive way to do it I'm game, but I have a feeling when all said and done if I'm to get better than decent results it's gonna cost me.

p.s. Also....one of my main goals is to make this an EASY process without a slug of cobbled together gear that needs to be plugged in, unplugged, plugged in again, etc. when I go from just wanting to listen to LP's and when I decide, "I gotta rip this one".
    Avanti Audio

I don't know Rob, after reading the DAK description, the whole thing appears pretty cheesy to me....but I'll take a listen to your results.

I have a hard time believing that a $75 hardware-mixer/RIAA phono amp + software solution can better the other solutions being discussed.
    Avanti Audio

Okay...check out a new post I will have - copying LP's to your computer

I own a Seta, haven't had it very long. I purchased it specifically to start the process of archiving my very large vinyl collection. I have no experience with other methods of doing this, so can't compare to PS Audio or anything else for that matter. I'm also using a Lavry AD11.

Initial impressions of the Seta as a phono stage have been very very good. I have also used the Seta's flat outputs to the computer and used their Pure Vinyl software for RIAA conversion. Using the Seta's flat outputs was a true surprise. I would have in NO way expected it to be better than just using the phono stage the traditional way. Not only was it better, it was a LOT better, reference quality. I don't have any conclusions at this point other than to say, recording this stuff in PCM seems plenty good enough for me. I would not get sucked down the road of trying to do this in DSD. Lots of technical issues involving just moving the files around. IMHO not ready for primetime yet.

I'll keep reporting back as I get more experience with this. Right now waiting for another tonearm tower to do a second setup dedicated for this purpose.
    Turntables: Acoustic Signature Invictus Jr. NEO, Grand Prix Monaco V3.0
    Tonearms: Acoustic Signature TA-9000 NEO, Kuzma Safir
    Cartridges: Miyabi Fuuga, Ortofon Century, Murashino Sumile Mono
    Phono Amplifiers: CH Precision P1, Channel D Lino 3.3
    Digital: CH Precision C1.2/D1.5/T1, Innuos Statement Nextgen, Luxman D-10X (Loan)
    Amplifiers: CH Precision L10/M10, Parasound JC1+, Gryphon Diablo 333 (Incoming)
    Speakers : Magnepan 30.7x, Wilson Audio XVX Chronosonic/Subsonics
    Cables: CAD Ground Controls/USB, Cardas Beyond Clear, Gobel Lacorde Statement
    Accessories: Artesania Exoteryc Racks & Damping Plates, Seismion Reactio, Degritter RC, RPG Acoustic Treatments/PSI AVAA, Torus Power/Plixir Elite BAC

Quote Originally Posted by annapolis Raider View Post
    I own a Seta, haven't had it very long. I purchased it specifically to start the process of archiving my very large vinyl collection. I have no experience with other methods of doing this, so can't compare to PS Audio or anything else for that matter. I'm also using a Lavry AD11.

Initial impressions of the Seta as a phono stage have been very very good. I have also used the Seta's flat outputs to the computer and used their Pure Vinyl software for RIAA conversion. Using the Seta's flat outputs was a true surprise. I would have in NO way expected it to be better than just using the phono stage the traditional way. Not only was it better, it was a LOT better, reference quality. I don't have any conclusions at this point other than to say, recording this stuff in PCM seems plenty good enough for me. I would not get sucked down the road of trying to do this in DSD. Lots of technical issues involving just moving the files around. IMHO not ready for primetime yet.

I'll keep reporting back as I get more experience with this. Right now waiting for another tonearm tower to do a second setup dedicated for this purpose.
    Thanks for sharing your choice of configuration. The Seta + Pure Vinyl software does seem like a great solution given the various EQ curves inside Pure Vinyl predating the RIAA standard. A cursory look at my older Mono Classical releases, it appears most (if not all of them that I have here) were recorded with the RIAA in mind. There may be a few though that could benefit from the optional curves.

Looking forward to your future reports.
    Avanti Audio

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

PS Audio NuWave Phono Converter