Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Thread: Kef X300A

Kef X300A

Anyone have any experience with the Kef X300A? It looks like a amazing speakers for my laptop

Very interesting specs.............
    Like a professional studio monitor, each X300A speaker has two dedicated class AB amplifiers – one for LF/MF and one for high frequencies – to ensure accurate, distortion-free sound reproduction. Speaker hum and electromagnetic interference are minimised by using toroidal transformers of the type specified for audiophile grade hi-fi amps. With clean USB input and digital connection between speakers, the X300A system turns your desktop, laptop, tablet or other mobile device into a source of listening pleasure to true high fidelity standards.
    Digital Hi-Fi Speakers - X Series - Overview
    KEF_X300A_Digita_50e3b0631b220.jpgkef-x300-a-review-speaker-back-and-front-800x600.jpg

Re: Kef X300A

Quote Originally Posted by volks View Post
    Anyone have any experience with the Kef X300A? It looks like a amazing speakers for my laptop

Very interesting specs.............
    Like a professional studio monitor, each X300A speaker has two dedicated class AB amplifiers – one for LF/MF and one for high frequencies – to ensure accurate, distortion-free sound reproduction. Speaker hum and electromagnetic interference are minimised by using toroidal transformers of the type specified for audiophile grade hi-fi amps. With clean USB input and digital connection between speakers, the X300A system turns your desktop, laptop, tablet or other mobile device into a source of listening pleasure to true high fidelity standards.
    Digital Hi-Fi Speakers - X Series - Overview
    KEF_X300A_Digita_50e3b0631b220.jpgkef-x300-a-review-speaker-back-and-front-800x600.jpg
    Did you ever try them? I have a pair.
    CD

DAC/Pre-amp - PSAudio DsJ > Power-amp - > Speakers - PMC TwentyFive 23s

Chris we spoke about your kefs, but id like to add that ive always like the kef presentation for some reason. ive had 2 pairs in my audio life . but have listened to a billion different ones. the reference line is great. i just wish they were more efficient for my low watt use. the only kef i didnt like believe it or not was the blades. didnt hate them but could easily find a decent amount of speakers for 1/3 the price that i would prefer.
    with that said i miss my r300's and wish i could have held on to them. dont get rid of yours unless your upgrading to the ref 3's in your sig. you will miss them.
    Steve

TUBES & VINYL
    Is there anything else?

Rega/Ortofon/Viva 300b/KR

Music Reference 2A3

Altec/JBL

Quote Originally Posted by Petro85 View Post
    Chris we spoke about your kefs, but id like to add that ive always like the kef presentation for some reason. ive had 2 pairs in my audio life . but have listened to a billion different ones. the reference line is great. i just wish they were more efficient for my low watt use. the only kef i didnt like believe it or not was the blades. didnt hate them but could easily find a decent amount of speakers for 1/3 the price that i would prefer.
    with that said i miss my r300's and wish i could have held on to them. dont get rid of yours unless your upgrading to the ref 3's in your sig. you will miss them.
    Steve...I'm a big fan, of a lot of speakers; but right now...KEF is at the top, of my dollar-to-performance list.

The LS-50; it may not be for everyone. But man...if you like that not-too-forward, house Brit sound; they may be the best speaker, at twice its $1500 list!

The only reason, I moved mine along to a good home...and it was a tough decision, at that; was...having Harbeths, I felt the 2 presentations, were a little redundant. The R-300 is slightly different...equally as good IMO, and gives me more variety.

I agree Steve; for the price...would be hard to let them go (only way I might, is if I get my HT space active again...which I've been trying to do for years; I think R-500s would be perfect there...and I'd let the 300s go, to fund them).

Or...if I decide to try the new Refs. They are sweet looking; but honestly...I'd have to hear something really special, to make them worth the price difference, of the R-series.

Oh...and for what they are; I am very happy, with the X300As as well (though I did have to send them back for repair, once...and there have been some reported reliability issues).
    CD

the guy who bought my r300's off me i think paired them with ls50's for his ht setup.
    the r500s were real good too. but for a little extra cash you can get into the reference.lol.
    always the extra cash thing.
    Steve

TUBES & VINYL
    Is there anything else?

Music Reference 2A3

Altec/JBL

the guy who bought my r300's off me i think paired them with ls50's for his ht setup.
    the r500s were real good too. but for a little extra cash you can get into the reference.lol.
    always the extra cash thing.
    See...I don't think so Steve. Let's compare:

The R-700, has the same driver array...6.5" LFs, and a 5" Uni-Q; and a measured FR of 42-28k (+/- 3db); the equivalent Ref 3...has an FR of 43-35k (+/- 3db).

R-700...$3800; Ref 3? $13,000...or what I like to call, Joe-money
    CD

Quote Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post
    See...I don't think so Steve. Let's compare:

The R-700, has the same driver array...6.5" LFs, and a 5" Uni-Q; and a measured FR of 42-28k (+/- 3db); the equivalent Ref 3...has an FR of 43-35k (+/- 3db).

R-700...$3800; Ref 3? $13,000...or what I like to call, Joe-money
    really?? so whats the difference in the 2 that makes up for $10k?? very interesting
    Steve

TUBES & VINYL
    Is there anything else?

Music Reference 2A3

Altec/JBL

really?? so whats the difference in the 2 that makes up for $10k?? very interesting
    Steve, let me clarify my previous comments. When I said "the R-700, has the same driver array" (as the Reference 3); more accurately, what I meant was "the R-700, has the same-sized driver array". Point being...I sure as hell hope, considering the price difference; they are different drivers. (It looks to me, as if KEF has recently updated the info available on the Reference; so they must be getting close Hi-Fi Speakers - THE REFERENCE - Overview - KEF United States)

So...does the Ref 3, sound "$10k" better; than the R-700? Well, that's the magic question, right? I won't go into the Law Of Diminishing Returns; but let's just say, I don't imagine the Ref 3 will be "4 times" better. But...some 'philes, pay "400%" the price...for maybe a "10%" improvement.

Those last bits of refinement, and performance; get rather expensive And that's for each guy, to choose for himself. But I guess my point is; if the Ref is not...just off-the-charts, significantly "better" than the R-series. I think it makes the R-series, a helluva value!
    CD

never heard the r's and the refs side by side. they are both where i go to listen but in different buildings. and run with better electronics. i guess now i know why.lol!!!
    i have the same thing going on with my phonostage. mine is $3k list and the next step up is $13k list and they are so close its not even funny but the $13k one is better. and i cant ever see me throwing out an extra $10k on that for that last 8-10%. guess ill just have to wait to win the lottery to buy the step beyond that which is $32k.lmao!!!
    thanks for explaining that.
    Steve

TUBES & VINYL
    Is there anything else?

Music Reference 2A3

Altec/JBL

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Kef  X300A