Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Thread: diy audio rack

diy audio rack

i was bored one weekend not too long ago, and i was in the market for new equip rack. so after researching and learning that there is absolutely no place to get quality wood in my area i thought id try to make a rack out of stuff i can find at home depot.
    this was a rush job too as i only had sat and sun to complete this. first trip to the store i picked up 2 sheets of maple ply think it was 13/16" thick and i also picked up 3- 2'x4' pieces of 3/4" thick mdf. i had the lumber guy cut the 2 sheets of ply in 8- 2'x4' pieces , since its freeto get it cut why not? easier to carry and get home.
    so saturday morning i stacked all these pieces so that it was 3 shelves measuring 2'x4' top and bottom maple and center of mdf. i wood glued and finish nailed everything and stacked them and clamped them. while they were drying i went back to the store and picked up some red oak 1x4's. i did not want to use this because its so hard to cut without splitting. but thats all they had in solid wood. so i came back and cut them to size for 8 of the same size pieces and glued 2 together for each leg. i didnt spend too much tim on the legs because they are only the temporary legs until i find a solid piece that is 2x4 size.
    after that i cut the shelves on a table saw to 20"x 46" so i had cutoffs from each side to make them smooth. which is a nightmare by yourself when these shelves weigh like 60-70 lbs each. but i did it , on the last cut i burnt up my table saw.lol it was old so no biggie but i had to make the last cut with a circular saw. which never comes out perfectly straight. used that cut as the bottom rear of the rack. problem was now i could not use a dado blade to cut the notches for the legs, so i had to use a jigsaw, on hard oak that is near impossible to get them straight. thats when i decided the legs were temporary.lol.
    anyway i had also picked up some really cool carved leaf trim pieces and since it wasnt tall enough i got a little dot banding to put on top of it . to cover the sides, and got gray stain (which i never saw before) for the shelves and black stain for the trim, and some clearcoat satin acrylic for the finish.
    i only did one coat of each to give it an older look and not brand new and shiny. the legs were screwed on then i added the trim, put some oak plugs in the holes for the screws. since the legs are temporary i did not waste time making them perfect. now when i find the right wood i can drill out the plugs and unscrew them and add the new legs. will make things much much better. but this is fine for now and id have to guess weighs in at around 200lbs.
    it is solid and floor vibrations do not skip any records anymore. i tried with some old records.
    oh yea for the feet i just screwed on some rubber furniture feet for now.
    thanks for looking. im no woodworker but i try like hell.
    this was only a test. i have a much better design in mind for the next one.
    sorry so long winded, i tend to do that alot.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very nice rack and that VPI in the background looks pretty sweet too!
    Mel

Super Moderator
    Wow!

What a beautiful job.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

here are the finished pic while its still wet with the sealer.
    thanks for looking, i dont often get on websites with anything more than my phone, so when i do i like to upload all the pics ive taken.

thanks guys, since im on the subject, the weekend before that i was mad a t my speaker stands and looked all over for better ones. even the really expensive ones werent what i wanted. so i did the same. bought loads of solid red oak at 3/4" thick and made my own.
    they started out with a cool stain on them but i soon realized that one of those pieces of oak cracked down the side so i opened it up and nailed some wood over the cheack on the inside with some silicone on it to try to seal it, so i decided to go black stain to hide the issue.
    these each have 75 lbs of sand in them and are rock solid, as these kefs pump out way more bass than i originally thought i needed something sturdy. only problem is moving them around, so i put the top piece on large so i can move the speakers in and out without having to move the stands.
    i dont think the spikes i used are rated for that much weight so i dont lik to move em around too much

Petro
    Thanks for the pics. The speaker stands are awesome and also the rack.
    Bob

Heroes don't wear capes, they wear dogtags.

Petrol...looks great, wish I had the tools and talent to do something like that. Looking forward to seeing the completed project with your gear in place.

Dave
    "I must admit I felt a little uneasy
    When she bent down to tie the laces of my shoe"
    -Bob Dylan Tangled Up In Blue

“The only escape from the miseries of life are music and cats...”
    ― Albert Schweitzer

“A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and goes to bed at night and in between does what he wants to do.” - Bob Dylan

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    ― Jimi Hendrix

Thats a great looking rack, congrats on a top job, I like it!

Steve... Congratulations, you did a great job on the rack & stands!!! Will be looking for your next project.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________________________

Jeff

AMP: McIntosh MC402 PRE: McIntosh C2300 Digital: Gold Note DS-10 & PSU-10 EVO TURNTABLE: Dr. Feickert Blackbird PHONO STAGE: Gold Note PH-10 & PSU-10 SPEAKERS: Aerial Acoustics Model 8B’s

“The more you tighten your grip Tarkin the more star systems will slip through your fingers”

Not bad for two days work! But seriously, that is a sweet rack. All I would have after two days would be a giant pile of sawdust.
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by dlb2 View Post
    Not bad for two days work! But seriously, that is a sweet rack. All I would have after two days would be a giant pile of sawdust.
    I'm also about as handy as a left foot. I'd probably injure myself...

Great looking rack and design.
    Michael

Magico S5s; PASS Labs Xs150s and Xs preamplifier; Lumin A1; Synergistic Research Galileo LE Powercell, Galileo LE speaker cables and interconnects, Galileo LE Analog and Digital power cords, Transporter Ultra SE, Tranquility Bases, MiGs, HFTs, XOTs, FEQ, Vibratron and Bass Station.

Re: diy audio rack

My DIY rack was built by my friend Jocelyn the same guy that rebuilt my Acoustat's, first two pictures where the rack with wood shelves, the next two are with inch and a quarter granite and the last two are with the gear, the frame is all steel and the posts are covered with wood, the rack is 48x20x20 and weighs 300 pounds.

Last edited by joeinid; March 8, 2018 at 10:44 PM.
    André - - - Keep it simple system
    Amp = Chord CPM-2600
    Source = Chord One
    Speakers = Acoustat 1+1s highly modified
    Life without Acoustat is possible BUT senseless.

Banned

My DIY Rack

Last edited by joeinid; March 8, 2018 at 10:43 PM.

Built these as separate MDF boxes, each filled with 50lbs of sand, and a butcher block plinth floating on that. I put some foam weather stripping between the board edge and the box sides to cover the space down to the sand. These are bolted to legs I cut from a butcher block table top (Ikea) then spiked to the floor.

1155818474.jpg
    Vine, Vide, Velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    Built these as separate MDF boxes, each filled with 50lbs of sand, and a butcher block plinth floating on that. I put some foam weather stripping between the board edge and the box sides to cover the space down to the sand. These are bolted to legs I cut from a butcher block table top (Ikea) then spiked to the floor.

1155818474.jpg
    Very nice work Bob
    Amp = Chord CPM-2600
    Source = Chord One

Quote Originally Posted by jap View Post
    My DIY Rack

EQ Stand.JPG
    Very nice work jap
    Amp = Chord CPM-2600
    Source = Chord One

Quote Originally Posted by Petro85 View Post
    i was bored one weekend not too long ago, and i was in the market for new equip rack. so after researching and learning that there is absolutely no place to get quality wood in my area i thought id try to make a rack out of stuff i can find at home depot.
    this was a rush job too as i only had sat and sun to complete this. first trip to the store i picked up 2 sheets of maple ply think it was 13/16" thick and i also picked up 3- 2'x4' pieces of 3/4" thick mdf. i had the lumber guy cut the 2 sheets of ply in 8- 2'x4' pieces , since its freeto get it cut why not? easier to carry and get home.
    so saturday morning i stacked all these pieces so that it was 3 shelves measuring 2'x4' top and bottom maple and center of mdf. i wood glued and finish nailed everything and stacked them and clamped them. while they were drying i went back to the store and picked up some red oak 1x4's. i did not want to use this because its so hard to cut without splitting. but thats all they had in solid wood. so i came back and cut them to size for 8 of the same size pieces and glued 2 together for each leg. i didnt spend too much tim on the legs because they are only the temporary legs until i find a solid piece that is 2x4 size.
    after that i cut the shelves on a table saw to 20"x 46" so i had cutoffs from each side to make them smooth. which is a nightmare by yourself when these shelves weigh like 60-70 lbs each. but i did it , on the last cut i burnt up my table saw.lol it was old so no biggie but i had to make the last cut with a circular saw. which never comes out perfectly straight. used that cut as the bottom rear of the rack. problem was now i could not use a dado blade to cut the notches for the legs, so i had to use a jigsaw, on hard oak that is near impossible to get them straight. thats when i decided the legs were temporary.lol.
    anyway i had also picked up some really cool carved leaf trim pieces and since it wasnt tall enough i got a little dot banding to put on top of it . to cover the sides, and got gray stain (which i never saw before) for the shelves and black stain for the trim, and some clearcoat satin acrylic for the finish.
    i only did one coat of each to give it an older look and not brand new and shiny. the legs were screwed on then i added the trim, put some oak plugs in the holes for the screws. since the legs are temporary i did not waste time making them perfect. now when i find the right wood i can drill out the plugs and unscrew them and add the new legs. will make things much much better. but this is fine for now and id have to guess weighs in at around 200lbs.
    it is solid and floor vibrations do not skip any records anymore. i tried with some old records.
    oh yea for the feet i just screwed on some rubber furniture feet for now.
    thanks for looking. im no woodworker but i try like hell.
    this was only a test. i have a much better design in mind for the next one.
    sorry so long winded, i tend to do that alot.
    Very nice work Petro85
    Amp = Chord CPM-2600
    Source = Chord One

not bad

diy audio rack

Here's the DIY I built. The top two shelves are sand filled. The legs are rustic walnut.

- Woody

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Very nice work

Some nice design and build by all the DIYers here!

I made one using butcher block shelves and threaded 1" pipe for legs. Being new here, I'll get back with additional details and a picture or two once I have enough posts.

John

Here are photos my DIY rack. The shelves are 25 x 19 x 1.5" made and milled (holes) by Baird Brothers in Ohio and the hardware was sourced from McMaster Carr in New Jersey. Of particular concern was the TT fitting properly.
    If anyone is interested, I'd be happy to send materials list and plans.

AKA J2Ordan
    McIntosh/Legacy/VPI/Bricasti/Bryston/DIYCabling.

Super nice John! I like it very much. I would be interested in the materials and plans.

Thanks!
    Paul

Speakers: Von Schweikert VR-5 Anniversary MK II Front L/R, LCR-35 Center, VR-1 Rear L/R Sub: JL Audio F113
    Amps: PS Audio BHK Signature 300 Mono, McIntosh MC207 Pre-Amp PS Audio BHK Signature and Gold Note PH-10 Phono Stage/PSU-10 Power Supply
    Turntable: VPI HR-X 12.7 TONEARM (2) and SDS, Stillpoints LPI
    Tape Deck Otari 5050B II2
    Music Server: Aurender N100H
    Cartridges: Ortofon Cadenza Black, Lyra Helikon Mono Digital Source: Oppo UDP-205 DAC: Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE
    SSP: Marantz AV8801 Cables: Wireworld Electra 7 (P) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7, Shunyata Delta NR (I) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 (S)
    Wireworld Platinum Starlight 7 (USB)
    AC Power Regeneration: PS Audio DirectStream P15 Power Plant and Shunyata Denali 6000s V2.

Very nice! I'd be interested in seeing your materials list / plans too.

With other pipe + nut + shelf + nut + pipe designs I've seen and touched, they have a bit of sway to the whole assembly after being put together. It appears you used some monster pipe and nuts....do you experience any of the same kind of sway (wiggle) to the rack?
    Avanti Audio

arc sp-11 or ls27 | arc d130 | vpi classic 2 w/periphery ring w/Si3N4 bearing & sapphire thrust plate & 2x jmw 10.5i | phoenix engineering eagle & road runner | ortofon cadenza bronze, miyajima zero mono | sentec eq11 w/ Sylvania 5751 TMBP & CBS 7318 | auditorium a23 | canton ref 9 dc | 2x m&k v125 | oppo bdp-95 | chord qutest | lumin d1 & sbooster | avanti audio vivace cables

Thanks for the comments. I am going to make a few changes to the original plans based on my experience when putting this one together. I'll get them out sent soon.

Mike, the is no wobble or sway. I used one inch threaded rod and the holes were milled to 1 1/32". I would have the holes milled to 1 1/16" if doing again for easier assembly. Baird Brothers did a great job, those shelves when stacked on top of each other lined up perfectly with rods inserted in all four holes. No way that accuracy would be possible with a drill press one at a time in a home shop. Every once in a while some of the nuts get a very slight tighten so I'd add lock washers if doing this again. Note that some commercially made designs have 5/8" rods and 3/4" holes. I originally had a McIntosh MC 352 power amp on the bottom shelf with no problem.

The 275 power amp sits on a 12 x 18 cutting board. The laptop is on a temporary shelf made from scrap wood. It got it off the TT dustcover (also home made) and also provides a visual for more shelves should I get crazy and go to a separate DAC and two box pre-amp.

The 2" pads underneath the components came from from The Supply House, a plumbing supply place out on Long Island; about a quarter each.

John
    AKA J2Ordan
    McIntosh/Legacy/VPI/Bricasti/Bryston/DIYCabling.

Beautiful job all of you. I made this thread 4 years ago since then I smashed apart that rack and cut the shelves down to make another rack. and then used them as stable equipment bases on another rack. and i still have them and even used the original rack legs to make legs on my diy speakers.
    thanks for bringing this old thread up.
    and this is my first post in awhile.... Hi All
    Steve

TUBES & VINYL
    Is there anything else?

Rega/Ortofon/Viva 300b/KR

Music Reference 2A3

Altec/JBL

Quote Originally Posted by Petro85 View Post
    Beautiful job all of you. I made this thread 4 years ago since then I smashed apart that rack and cut the shelves down to make another rack. and then used them as stable equipment bases on another rack. and i still have them and even used the original rack legs to make legs on my diy speakers.
    thanks for bringing this old thread up.
    and this is my first post in awhile.... Hi All
    Welcome back buddy !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Paul

Hey, hi Steve!

whats up? how have you been?
    Steve

TUBES & VINYL
    Is there anything else?

Rega/Ortofon/Viva 300b/KR

Music Reference 2A3

Altec/JBL

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

diy audio rack