Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Super Moderator

Re: TAD CR-1's plus Conrad Johnson GAT and ART monos = Nirvana !!!

I miss Andre. I was looking for him last week and realized it has been a while since I've seen him post.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada

I also like Andre very much; his music selections are a breath of fresh air (he helped me spend some of my money wisely).
    ...And of course he's a very nice friendly guy.
    I'm sure he's enjoying life, and he's also a member at another audio forum (French I believe; I forgot the name).

Andre will pop back, when he feels like it.
    ~ Bob ~
    "And it Stoned me to my Soul" Van Morrison
    ClickAudiophile Audition
    Snoopy as the Red Baron attack
    Avatar = The Alan Parsons Project - Eye in the Sky (1982 - orbiting)

Super Moderator

I can not get over how awesome these amps sound. The music just flows out so naturally. It's remarkable. The TADs literally have never sounded better. Pinch me.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Joe, all your raving has got me off my ass and I just hooked up the cj tube gear.

Playing the Stones, Sticky Fingers
    Source: Technics SP10mk3 - Thales Simplicity II, TW Raven AC-3 - Graham Phantom, SME 3012-R, Exclusive P3,,Linn LP12 - Naim ARO
    Cartridges: Lyra Atlas Lambda SL, Lyra Etna SL, Lyra Delos, Dynavector XV-1s,Technics EPC100mk4, Ortofon A90, GM Royal, GM Classic, Denon ESC'd 103R, DL-S1, Audio Technica AT25, OC9II, Linn ESC'd Troika
    Phono Stage: Phasemation EA-1200, Accuphase C-37,TW Acustik phono
    EQ: ​DEQX HDP-4
    Preamp: D'Agostino HD, conrad johnson GAT,
    Amps: conrad johnson teflon premier 8a's, D'Agostino Momentum S250
    Speakers: Wilson Maxx3

Quote Originally Posted by XV-1 View Post
    Joe, all your raving has got me off my ass and I just hooked up the cj tube gear.

Playing the Stones, Sticky Fingers
    And? Comparisons to your Pass/Momentum duo?
    Speaker: Wilson Audio XLF + Velodyne DD18+
    Source: Zanden 4-Box Digital
    Amp: Robert Koda K15EX + Gryphon Mephisto Stereo

Cable: TA Opus (Gen5) + Sablon Audio Prince (Orange)
    Power: 7 Dedicated Lines Furutech + Torus AVR 16 + Burmester 948 + NordostQX4
    Isolation: Under: SRA+HRS+Stillpoints+Auralex Top: HRS+Artesania+Entreq+EAT+90kg Mass
    Ground/Shield: Tripoint Troy Sig & Thor + Entreq Atlantis / Receivus +Everest+Wrap
    Room/Tube: Stillpoints Apertures / Amperex + Mullard
    Headphone Setup: Sennheiser 650 + Arcam rHead + Apogee Groove

Super Moderator

+1

Give it some time to warm up and spill the beans.

Quote Originally Posted by LL21 View Post
    And? Comparisons to your Pass/Momentum duo?

NAD C 658 streamer.

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    I can not get over how awesome these amps sound. The music just flows out so naturally. It's remarkable. The TADs literally have never sounded better. Pinch me.
    Sounds like the CJ gear really took the much needed edge off but still retained, if not enhanced, the TADs soundstaging and imaging prowess. Wow!

Allen

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by socfan12 View Post
    Sounds like the CJ gear really took the much needed edge off but still retained, if not enhanced, the TADs soundstaging and imaging prowess. Wow!
    Amen. I am sure Viola is good (and I have not heard it yet) but the ART amps, especially, have been such a revelation. For my taste, the sweetness and bloom of tubes is MANDATORY on TADs.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Amen. I am sure Viola is good (and I have not heard it yet) but the ART amps, especially, have been such a revelation. For my taste, the sweetness and bloom of tubes is MANDATORY on TADs.
    A big 10-4 on that, buddy. I've started my homework already.

Allen

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by socfan12 View Post
    A big 10-4 on that, buddy. I've started my homework already.
    Very curious to see where you end up

NAD C 658 streamer.

As am I! I've always eschewed tubes and swayed toward 'warmer' SS. This is a new frontier for me to even consider tubes. Lots to learn from you guys...

Allen

[QUOTE=joeinid;31306]Why did it take me soooooo long to realize what I knew deep down? Stick a fork in me. My CJ GAT/ART mono combo complements the TAD CR-1's so well that it's truly amazing. Any treble issues that I've complained about are GONE! The TADs truly disappear. Damn, if I had the room, the Reference Ones would be on the menu. Deep, layered and wide CJ sound stage coupled with precise vocals and instrument placement is incredible. I am a very tired and happy man.

Ah, why I love this hobby so much. There are so many options to find Audio Nirvana.

And yes Joe that is what tubes do. They virtually eliminate the need for a tweeter because everyone becomes so enamored with the gorgeous mids that with too much tube they fail to realize the top end has been lopped off. That is what I hear.
    Jim

D'Agostino Momentum M-400's MxV’s & HD Pre-amp
    Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2 speakers
    Digital: dCS Vivaldi APEX DAC, Clock & Upsampler
    Analog: SME 20/3 with Esoteric E-03 Phono
    Transparent Opus Speaker Cable & Interconnects & Opus Power Cords
    Power Cords on Digital: Shunyata
    Power Conditioner - Shunyata Everest

Super Moderator

Jim

If you heard my TADs and the CJ gear, I don't think you would say that. There's still plenty of energy and that's what I hear.
    Last edited by joeinid; September 15, 2013 at 12:50 PM.

NAD C 658 streamer.

[QUOTE=still-one;31554]
    Why did it take me soooooo long to realize what I knew deep down? Stick a fork in me. My CJ GAT/ART mono combo complements the TAD CR-1's so well that it's truly amazing. Any treble issues that I've complained about are GONE! The TADs truly disappear. Damn, if I had the room, the Reference Ones would be on the menu. Deep, layered and wide CJ sound stage coupled with precise vocals and instrument placement is incredible. I am a very tired and happy man.

Ah, why I love this hobby so much. There are so many options to find Audio Nirvana.

And yes Joe that is what tubes do. They virtually eliminate the need for a tweeter because everyone becomes so enamored with the gorgeous mids that with too much tube they fail to realize the top end has been lopped off. That is what I hear.
    Hi Jim,

I'm new here, nice to meet you. I have to respectfully disagree about tubes lopping off the top end. Sure a lot of tube amps do that but have you been listening to the latest SOTA tube amps, they do anything but lop off the top end. Of course it varies amp to amp, but there are SO many great tube out there now, just as there are SO many great new SS amps available now. Btw, would love to hear your system, it looks GREAt!!!

Hahaha here come the tube guys. Lol!!!
    I have an all tube setup and the highs are the best part of it.
    They go right through you and make the hair on the back of your neck stand up .
    But this audio hobby is all about what works best for the user.
    I never have heard that ss setup that I thought I must have .
    Just my opinion though, and I haven't heard much ss setups.
    Steve

TUBES & VINYL
    Is there anything else?

Rega/Ortofon/Viva 300b/KR

Music Reference 2A3

Altec/JBL

Joe...congrats on the CJ-TAD combo. Hope you continue to enjoy it for a long time to come. Wjat is the status on the basement build-out?
    Cyril
    Speakers/Amp/Preamp: Thiel CS2.4 / ARC Ref 110 / ARC Ref 3
    Sources: Basis 2001/Graham2.2/Nagra BPS/Benz Micro Glider SL, Dynavector 20X2-L, ARC CD7, Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Cables/Power/Other: Nordost Heimdall ICs, SCs / Shunyata Hydra 8, Shunyata Python Helix PC / VPI 16.5, HRS Nimbus isolation system

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by Petro85 View Post
    Hahaha here come the tube guys. Lol!!!
    I have an all tube setup and the highs are the best part of it.
    They go right through you and make the hair on the back of your neck stand up .
    But this audio hobby is all about what works best for the user.
    I never have heard that ss setup that I thought I must have .
    Just my opinion though, and I haven't heard much ss setups.
    Truthfully, the only SS amps I've ever heard that I just had to have were D'Agostino. HiFi News called them the "maybe" best amps of all time and have them listed in their top 5 amps of all time list. You may forget the sonic qualities of other amps - but these? Never. The emotion they invoked in the three of us that day was very special. There was no starting or stopping - just continuous liquidity and flow of gorgeous sound with no loss of detail.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

I bet they are awesome joe , but way out of my league. I'd rather have
    A few choices for that money. Lol!!
    When you get a pair I'd love to come hear them.
    Steve

TUBES & VINYL
    Is there anything else?

Music Reference 2A3

Altec/JBL

Audioshark

[QUOTE=still-one;31554]
    Why did it take me soooooo long to realize what I knew deep down? Stick a fork in me. My CJ GAT/ART mono combo complements the TAD CR-1's so well that it's truly amazing. Any treble issues that I've complained about are GONE! The TADs truly disappear. Damn, if I had the room, the Reference Ones would be on the menu. Deep, layered and wide CJ sound stage coupled with precise vocals and instrument placement is incredible. I am a very tired and happy man.

Now Jim, be nice. We all love new gear. I'm delighted Joe finally discovered tubes. They do have a certain magic to them. I certainly heard no lopping off of the higher frequencies with my ARC gear, but I did with my tube Mc amps. But they delivered magic in other ways (except bass speed!). I guess no amp is perfect.

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

Audioshark

[QUOTE=still-one;31554]
    Jim - don't you have a tube preamp? For those older Wilson tweeters perhaps?

Super Moderator

Ha ha ha ha ha.

Yes the Dagostino amps are special. I'll probably add the Momentum monos unless Bob shows me the Goldmund light. Something tells me I'm in for a treat with that baby. If the Dagostino preamp wasn't so quirky, I still might have that gear. I'd say Dan did me a tremendous favor. Big time. For that, I am eternally grateful.

Thank you Cyril.

At this rate, not until the end of the year. Depending on what speaker(s) go down there will determine the level of treatment needed. I don't want to or can't go too crazy with the room but we'll see. Once things start falling into place, it will go quickly.

NAD C 658 streamer.

[QUOTE=Mike;31574]
    Quote Originally Posted by still-one View Post

Jim - don't you have a tube preamp? For those older Wilson tweeters perhaps?
    Mike
    Yes I am currently using a 2300 until I decide whether if it is worth it to pop for the D'Agostino pre. Using the 808v3 as a pre-amp was very good for digital but I think digitizing the signal from the SME table was not optimum even for my occasional vinyl sessions. There are not too many reasonably priced one box pre-amp solutions out there and when its time to decide I won't lose a nickel selling the 2300.

I actually prefer the X2 tweeters to the XLF's soft domed. I do like the XLF's bass and mid a bit better but unless someone is having a fire sale I am not paying the premium to partake.
    Jim

D'Agostino Momentum M-400's MxV’s & HD Pre-amp
    Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2 speakers
    Digital: dCS Vivaldi APEX DAC, Clock & Upsampler
    Analog: SME 20/3 with Esoteric E-03 Phono
    Transparent Opus Speaker Cable & Interconnects & Opus Power Cords
    Power Cords on Digital: Shunyata
    Power Conditioner - Shunyata Everest

Audioshark

[QUOTE=still-one;31578]
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post

Mike
    Yes I am currently using a 2300 until I decide whether if it is worth it to pop for the D'Agostino pre. Using the 808v3 as a pre-amp was very good for digital but I think digitizing the signal from the SME table was not optimum even for my occasional vinyl sessions. There are not too many reasonably priced one box pre-amp solutions out there and when its time to decide I won't lose a nickel selling the 2300.

I actually prefer the X2 tweeters to the XLF's soft domed. I do like the XLF's bass and mid a bit better but unless someone is having a fire sale I am not paying the premium to partake.
    Mc stuff has the best resale of any brand I've found. Don't discount the Classe CP800 as an all in one box solution for a great price. But you would need a phonostage like a Manley Chinook or Zesto. Classe is promising a phono stage for the CP800 - but who knows when?

I really like the tweeters in the Alexia's. I would have those in a heart beat.

Super Moderator

Bob,

I think you are spot on with your assessment. My ART amps are NOT your father's classic tube sound, far from it. It is sooooo good that it totally gets out of the way. The reviews of the ART stereo is spot on. The resolution and detail are so high that if you didn't know that it was tube based, you'd think it was great SS gear.

[QUOTE=Absolare;31560]

Hi Jim,

I'm new here, nice to meet you. I have to respectfully disagree about tubes lopping off the top end. Sure a lot of tube amps do that but have you been listening to the latest SOTA tube amps, they do anything but lop off the top end. Of course it varies amp to amp, but there are SO many great tube out there now, just as there are SO many great new SS amps available now. Btw, would love to hear your system, it looks GREAt!!!
    Last edited by joeinid; September 15, 2013 at 02:36 PM.

NAD C 658 streamer.

[QUOTE=Mike;31579]

Mc stuff has the best resale of any brand I've found. Don't discount the Classe CP800 as an all in one box solution for a great price. But you would need a phonostage like a Manley Chinook or Zesto. Classe is promising a phono stage for the CP800 - but who knows when?

I really like the tweeters in the Alexia's. I would have those in a heart beat.
    I've recently been talked down from getting the steelhead and going for the more affordable zesto , as I was told by a certain vinyl guru that the setup I'm getting was better with zesto , and since he has both in his room with the same setup, I figured he was more knowledgable than me in that area.
    Even though I've heard steelheads a few times and loved it, and never heard the zesto
    So zesto is on the menu !!
    Steve

TUBES & VINYL
    Is there anything else?

Music Reference 2A3

Altec/JBL

[QUOTE=joeinid;31580]Bob,

I think you are spot on with your assessment. My ART amps are NOT your father's classic tube sound, far from it. It is sooooo good that it totally gets out of the way. The reviews of the ART stereo is spot on. The resolution and detail are so high that if you didn't know that it was tube based, you'd think it was great SS gear.

What I have been experiencing over the last year or so is that the latest/greatest tube gear sounds more like great SS and the latest/greatest SS gear has several desirable tube qualities. Seems like the latest of both camps are moving to the center - pure music.

Super Moderator

For some reason, hand me a piece of gear that's gold or champagne colored and I'll love it. Add some red accents, it gets even better. Ha!

NAD C 658 streamer.

[QUOTE=still-one;31578]
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post

...I actually prefer the X2 tweeters to the XLF's soft domed. I do like the XLF's bass and mid a bit better but unless someone is having a fire sale I am not paying the premium to partake.
    Very interesting...I have the X1s but needed to get new tweeters (after 20 years) and ended up with effectively Maxx 3 Tweeters which descended directly from the X2 Series 2...which has worked out quite nicely. What do you prefer about the X2 Series 2 Tweeter over the XLF? As for the mid and bass, what I find they did very very well with the XLF is that the cabinetry feels even more solid and as a result, the sound literally comes straight thru, no delay, no reverb, no 'pull back' from the cabinetry in the bass area. It is also exceedingly coherent. Truly remarkable in both regards.
    Speaker: Wilson Audio XLF + Velodyne DD18+
    Source: Zanden 4-Box Digital
    Amp: Robert Koda K15EX + Gryphon Mephisto Stereo

Cable: TA Opus (Gen5) + Sablon Audio Prince (Orange)
    Power: 7 Dedicated Lines Furutech + Torus AVR 16 + Burmester 948 + NordostQX4
    Isolation: Under: SRA+HRS+Stillpoints+Auralex Top: HRS+Artesania+Entreq+EAT+90kg Mass
    Ground/Shield: Tripoint Troy Sig & Thor + Entreq Atlantis / Receivus +Everest+Wrap
    Room/Tube: Stillpoints Apertures / Amperex + Mullard
    Headphone Setup: Sennheiser 650 + Arcam rHead + Apogee Groove

Super Moderator

So maybe the TAD CR-1's were not nirvana. They were good but not my cup of tea. Live and learn. I know the Strads and CJ gear will be awesome (for me). YMMV.
    Last edited by joeinid; July 17, 2014 at 02:51 AM.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Joe, luv ya to bits, but, even though you're high priced, you're still a gear slut... ........... just like me & mike & paul & mark & allen &...........

You know, what I find interesting is that I've built a system from the front end & am now just getting to the "f*ck this is really good*, part, after adding the W/Benesch combo, last!

I cannot keep up with all you gear sluts, but that is just because I am envious.

the happy ending is sooo expensive

keep it up, Charlie Sheen is proud of all of you
    Source: Technics SP10mk3 - Thales Simplicity II, TW Raven AC-3 - Graham Phantom, SME 3012-R, Exclusive P3,,Linn LP12 - Naim ARO
    Cartridges: Lyra Atlas Lambda SL, Lyra Etna SL, Lyra Delos, Dynavector XV-1s,Technics EPC100mk4, Ortofon A90, GM Royal, GM Classic, Denon ESC'd 103R, DL-S1, Audio Technica AT25, OC9II, Linn ESC'd Troika
    Phono Stage: Phasemation EA-1200, Accuphase C-37,TW Acustik phono
    EQ: ​DEQX HDP-4
    Preamp: D'Agostino HD, conrad johnson GAT,
    Amps: conrad johnson teflon premier 8a's, D'Agostino Momentum S250
    Speakers: Wilson Maxx3

Behavior Moderator (be nice police!)

Pretty funny
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs XP32......incoming
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    VPI Avenger with Magnetic Drive
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    Ortofon Cadenza Black cartridge
    Kharma Elegance speaker cables
    Kharma Elegance interconnects
    REL Subs

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

TAD CR-1's plus Conrad Johnson GAT and ART monos = Nirvana !!!