Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
    Super Moderator

CJ ET250S - Owners please tell me about these amps ....

I think they have been discontinued but look like they are still available. I've read great and good reviews and wonder from actual owners what you think. So please give us some guidance. Would you buy again? What don't you like and what do you love about it?

Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Super Moderator

Re: CJ ET250S - Owners please tell me about these amps ....

ET250S and MET150 Enhanced Triode Amplifiers
    MET150 introduced February 2007
    ET250S introduced May 2007
    The conrad-johnson Enhanced Triode (ET) Amplifiers are power amplifiers designed to capture the best attributes of both fine vacuum-tube designs and of the best solid-state designs. The ET250S is a 250-watt per channel stereo power amplifier, the MET150 a five-channel amplifier rated at 150 watts per channel. These sophisticated zero-feedback amplifiers offer the refinement of a vacuum-tube amplifier with the guts and control of a solid-state amplifier.
    Zero Feedback. Negative feedback is an engineering technique used to reduce measured distortion. While feedback does achieve this goal, it also introduces aberrations in the tran*sient response characteristics of the circuit. We have found that eliminating loop negative feedback can result in much finer gradations in dynamic response (micro-dynamics) and more accurate decay on musical transients. But eliminating negative feedback requires much more care in the design of the circuits - both in choosing devices and in power-supply design, and places greater demands on the parts.
    The Right Device for the Job. A power amplifier has two distinctly different functions. First, a voltage gain stage must increase the amplitude of the input signal by a factor of about thirty. The distortion characteristics of the amplifier are dominated by this stage. No device is better suited to accurately amplifying signals at high amplitude than triode vacuum tubes. For our enhanced triode amplifiers, voltage gain is provided by a 6922 vacuum tube, selected for its ability to track a high amplitude signal accurately. Theory and 30 years of experience have taught us that the voltage gain stage of a power amplifier dominates the sonic character of the critical mid-range of a power amplifier, and indeed these amplifiers exhibit the smooth, lucid midrange for which tube amplifiers are so highly esteemed.
    The high amplitude signal produced by the voltage gain stage must then be efficiently coupled to the loudspeaker system through an output stage to produce the power and control needed for a musically accurate response – basically to provide current gain and a low output impedance. High-current bi-polar devices have been specified for the output stages of these amplifiers, based on their extremely low output impedance and their ability to handle a great deal of current. This contributes the fast, weighty bass and seemingly limitless power reserve that are notable in these amplifiers.
    Solid Power Supplies. Rock solid power supplies are needed to enable the audio circuits to reach their potential on musical transients. The ET amplifiers feature oversized main power transformers (so that the circuits are not starved for current), and massive power storage reservoirs with high-speed capacitor shunts to deliver quick, even startling transient response. Carefully designed DC voltage regulators isolate the critical voltage gain stages to prevent demands of the output stage from modulating the input signal.
    Quality Parts. Conrad-Johnson components are internationally known for the quality of their parts, and the ET amplifiers are no exception. The audio circuits and their related power supplies utilize precision low inductance laser-trimmed metal foil resistors. The circuits employ polypropylene, polystyrene and Teflon capacitors extensively, except in the main power supply storage, where high-speed electrolytics are used because of the extremely high capacitance required. Precision-machined input/output connectors have been carefully selected for optimal sonic performance. Even the internal wiring is chosen on the basis of its sound quality in its specific application.
    Thoughtful engineering, specification of top quality component parts, and painstaking care taken in production make the MET150 and ET250S capable of extraordinary performance in music reproduction. We invite you to arrange an audition with your conrad-johnson dealer to confirm for yourself the extraordinary musicality of these amplifiers.
    Specifications

Power:
    ET250S - 250 Watts per channel from 20 Hz to 20 KHz at no more than 2 % THD, both channels driven into 8 Ohms, or 400 watts per channel driven into 4 Ohms.
    MET150 – 5 x 150 Watts from 20 Hz to 20 kHz at no more than 2 % THD into 8 Ohms, or 5 x 250 Watts into 4 Ohms.
    Sensitivity:
    ET250S – 1.85V to rated power.
    MET150 - 1.5V to rated power.
    Frequency Response (at 10 Watts): 20 Hz to 20 kHz, +/- .25 dB
    Hum and Noise: 104 dB below rated power
    Input Impedance: 100 kOhms
    Tube Complement:
    ET250S - 2 x 6922
    MET150 - 5 x 6922
    Dimensions:
    ET250S and MET150 – 16.125D x 19W x 7.188H inches
    Weight:
    ET250S and MET150 – 65 Lbs.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada

Joe, I just love (immensely) your new avatar! ...Angels.

By the way, did you ever notice that mine is Tonto's (Johnny Depp) wife; from 'The Lone Ranger''s movie?
    ...Check that bird on top of her head, I believe to be also a crow! ...She's a Crow Indian.
    ~ Bob ~
    "And it Stoned me to my Soul" Van Morrison
    ClickAudiophile Audition
    Snoopy as the Red Baron attack
    Avatar = The Alan Parsons Project - Eye in the Sky (1982 - orbiting)

Super Moderator

Thank you Bob!

NAD C 658 streamer.

Hey, I just tell it like it is. ...I believe to be the nicest avatar I've ever seen from an audio site.
    ...Singing sweet music just like angels do.
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

Quote Originally Posted by NorthStar View Post
    Hey, I just tell it like it is. ...I believe to be the nicest avatar I've ever seen from an audio site.
    That sounds familiar.
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by dlb2 View Post
    That sounds familiar.
    Sounds alright too?

* And now it's gone; of course.
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

Super Moderator

Sounds alright too?

* And now it's gone; of course.
    Ha! It will come back.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    Ha! It will come back.
    ----
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

No it's maybe the 2nd nicest BUT not the #1 before i discovered panels i use to dig cans but i was pretty young back then i didn't know much.

IMG_3773.JPG
    André - - - Keep it simple system
    Amp = Chord CPM-2600
    Source = Chord One
    Speakers = Acoustat 1+1s highly modified
    Life without Acoustat is possible BUT senseless.

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    I think they have been discontinued but look like they are still available. I've read great and good reviews and wonder from actual owners what you think. So please give us some guidance. Would you buy again? What don't you like and what do you love about it?

There is one for sale in Montreal for about 4k in very good condition, it's a Conrad Johnson it can't be bad.

Occasions
    André - - - Keep it simple system
    Amp = Chord CPM-2600
    Source = Chord One
    Speakers = Acoustat 1+1s highly modified
    Life without Acoustat is possible BUT senseless.

Super Moderator

Thanks Andre. I'm pretty happy with what I have but I'd sure love to hear it in my system.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Ha...I was about to ask about this amp too; when I saw there was already a thread.

Problem is...LOTS of avatar talk; 250S...not so much
    CD

DAC/Pre-amp - PSAudio DsJ > Power-amp - > Speakers - PMC TwentyFive 23s

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

CJ ET250S - Owners please tell me about these amps ....