Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Re: What's on your wrist today

Quote Originally Posted by wisnon View Post
    That looks as plain as white bread. LoL
    Possibly but the date numerals are actually big enough to read. What a concept!

Oooh, the Arnold and sons watch must be real vintage stuff.
    No love for Timex ...!!
    * An Audiophile is only as old as his latest Class D incarnation *

Quote Originally Posted by ACHiPo View Post
    Possibly but the date numerals are actually big enough to read. What a concept!
    Its was a joke. Blancpain is French for white bread. Nothing wrong with the watch...quite wearable.

They have the snobbiest slogan of all. Since 1735, there has NEVER been a quartz Blancpain watch.....and there never will be! Tlk about a backhanded slap to the competition. Now we know who the REAL uncompromising purists are! LoL
    NORMAN
    Custom PC with Memory Player Software Suite/ Modded Denon CD transport>Lampi GG1 (and sometimes PACIFIC) DHT tube Dac> Rowen 850W Isolating Transformer/ Rowen SS Preamp and PA1 monoblocs/Lampi Silk power cond. with Phase flipper> Heil AMT KITHARA & Syrinx in parallel hookup. Swiss cables (Reference line) for PC/interconnects and speaker cables. Goldmund Sweetcord PC. FTA Callisto unpowered USB cable. Basic analog: vintage Lenco L78 TT with Rowen mat, Denon MM cart, iFi iPhono2 with 15v Hynes SR3 LPSU. Synology 12 TB NAS. 2nd system:KenWin Bluetooth speaker 3rd system TBI Millemnium amp with Aulos speakers and SB Duo hookup.

Given that I spent many years living in downtown Gva, luxury watches are very familiar to me. Very interesting place to visit is the Patek museum, which was 7 minutes walk from my old home and the Rolex HQ which was 15 mins walk. Now I like close to the Chopard heiress's mansion.

The coolest watch expereince for me is wearing the prototype Rolex Daytona 2 for half hour, as I knew the lead designer. It has a glass back, not a metal back.
    NORMAN
    Custom PC with Memory Player Software Suite/ Modded Denon CD transport>Lampi GG1 (and sometimes PACIFIC) DHT tube Dac> Rowen 850W Isolating Transformer/ Rowen SS Preamp and PA1 monoblocs/Lampi Silk power cond. with Phase flipper> Heil AMT KITHARA & Syrinx in parallel hookup. Swiss cables (Reference line) for PC/interconnects and speaker cables. Goldmund Sweetcord PC. FTA Callisto unpowered USB cable. Basic analog: vintage Lenco L78 TT with Rowen mat, Denon MM cart, iFi iPhono2 with 15v Hynes SR3 LPSU. Synology 12 TB NAS. 2nd system:KenWin Bluetooth speaker 3rd system TBI Millemnium amp with Aulos speakers and SB Duo hookup.

Today it's the G-Shock GGB-100-1A3

Photo by yours truly.

Its was a joke. Blancpain is French for white bread. Nothing wrong with the watch...quite wearable.

They have the snobbiest slogan of all. Since 1735, there has NEVER been a quartz Blancpain watch.....and there never will be! Tlk about a backhanded slap to the competition. Now we know who the REAL uncompromising purists are! LoL
    Understand the joke. And I love Blancpain, especially their dive watches. I also appreciate date numerals that I can see with my aging eyes. My Rolex "magnifier" doesn't cut it any more.

Quote Originally Posted by a.wayne View Post
    No love for Timex ...!!
    lets go 'retro' !

Q Timex 1972 Reissue 43x39mm Leather Strap Watch - Timex US
    Cheers ! …. Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Buckeye Farmboy translocated to Boulder. Master and slave to my 10 year old twins
    System: Grimm MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Accuphase C3900 pre, TARA Labs 0.8 XLR, Gryphon Essence Stereo Amp, Tara LAbs 0.8 Speaker Cables, Rockport Atria ii's

Ricky, is that a 'wall clock' on your wrist ?
    Cheers ! …. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Mikado463 View Post
    Ricky, is that a 'wall clock' on your wrist ?
    The pic certainly gives that perspective. No, on wrist and viewed with less close up it doesn't read like a wall clock. Really interesting watch, and H Moser is a very interesting and cool company. It was the one day I wore the watch. Had purchased from Watchbox, pre owned, and after a few hours a screw running loose in the movement jammed the rotor. It has been returned. I don't think it is a problem characteristic of Moser. (and the service from Watchbox was excellent; they arranged a quick return).
    Fascinating watch. I have been looking for a sportier type watch, and this one, with its hands, and without a bezel, doesn't quite come across as a sporting timepiece. Loved it though. If I were looking to build a collection of multiple watches, I would keep this.
    Buckeye Farmboy translocated to Boulder. Master and slave to my 10 year old twins
    System: Grimm MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Accuphase C3900 pre, TARA Labs 0.8 XLR, Gryphon Essence Stereo Amp, Tara LAbs 0.8 Speaker Cables, Rockport Atria ii's

Hello friends,

I do not wear my expensive watches anymore. This is too dangerous in Paris. Too many attacks.
    They are all in the safe at the bank. I keep them as investments.
    I wear either an Apple Watch or this one which I actually prefer : a Withings Scan Watch.
    Looks more like a classical watch. And battery span is almost 1 month !
    Thanks to it, I discovered that I have an arythmic cardiac rythm.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
    Shindo, Nagra, Electrocompaniet, Harbeth, AMR, Mc Intosh, Auditorium 23, Rega, DeVore, JC Verdier, WireWorld, Kimber

Nice watch Jerome !

it's a shame you can't wear your better watches but even here in the good ole US of A our cities are becoming crime ridden dump holes ......
    Cheers ! …. Dave

great watch Rick !
    Cheers ! …. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky64 View Post

moser is a very underrated watch, fine maker
    Burmester 911mk3 amplifier
    Burmester 077 pre-amp
    Burmester 217 turntable system
    Burmester 111 streamer
    Burmester 948 conditioner
    Master Artist Signature Full Range Towers
    Master Artist Signature Rack
    Espirit Eureka cables
    Silent Angel NX Network Switch

AP Volcano
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Burmester 077 pre-amp
    Burmester 111 streamer
    Espirit Eureka cables

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky64 View Post

fine piece
    Burmester 077 pre-amp
    Burmester 111 streamer
    Espirit Eureka cables

Seiko SSC813...just got this about a week or so ago. My photo...

Modwright KWH 225i + PH 9.0 - Rega P8 + Ania Pro - Audiolab 9000CDT - Elac AF-61/Gaia II - Luna Cable Mauve

My all time favorite, Vacheron 1921. Like me a little off centered. 1921.jpg
    Audio Dealer in Coral Gables Florida for Mcintosh/Audio Research/Wilson Audio/Focal/Naim/Joseph Audio/D'Agostino/Nagra/dCS/VPI industries/Soulution/The Gryphon/Nordost/Shunyata Research/Kubala Sosna/Bryston/VAC/HRS/NAD/Lyra/Koetsu/Aurender/.

Sinn U50 S BS, 1 of 500 pieces, worldwide. 500M Depth rating, Tegimented and PVD hard-coated German submarine steel case and bracelet. One tough motherf*cker...

Omega, Seamaster
    Cheers ! …. Dave

Arrived Yesterday -very "compact" ... 55mm ARAGON Gauge 3G 8040.N ;-) I love that brutal design
    IMG_20230323_090210198_HDR-01.jpeg
    IMG_20230323_090257757_HDR-01.jpeg
    Marcin

Not my arm, but this is pretty cool
    Brain Salad Surgery.jpg
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -
    Rotel RCD-1572 / Rega P3 > Luxman 505UX Mark II > Fyne Audio F502SPs > Synergistic Cables

Secondary - OPPO 93 > VAC CLA 1 MKII Pre > Odyssey Stratos > Dynaudio Audience 82s > Tara Labs Cables

Serious question for you watch guys.

Does the cost of the movement in a watch by itself determine if the watch will be reliable? I keep getting a bunch of nice looking Wood watches advertised on my FB feed because I looked at one. I like many of them but when I look at the details and google the actual Movement, they sell for anywhere between $12 and $40, I saw one as high as $70 which was a Seiko movement. So if I really like a watch, and the price is say $200, but the movement only costs $20, am I wasting my money? Right now I am wearing a Citizen Eco that I bought about 20 years ago, and have a Seiko for dress and an old Waltham windup that was my wife's uncle Dons if you recall my Boardwalk Empire thread.
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -
    Rotel RCD-1572 / Rega P3 > Luxman 505UX Mark II > Fyne Audio F502SPs > Synergistic Cables

Secondary - OPPO 93 > VAC CLA 1 MKII Pre > Odyssey Stratos > Dynaudio Audience 82s > Tara Labs Cables

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowfax View Post

Does the cost of the movement in a watch by itself determine if the watch will be reliable? I keep getting a bunch of nice looking Wood watches advertised on my FB feed because I looked at one. I like many of them but when I look at the details and google the actual Movement, they sell for anywhere between $12 and $40, I saw one as high as $70 which was a Seiko movement. So if I really like a watch, and the price is say $200, but the movement only costs $20, am I wasting my money? Right now I am wearing a Citizen Eco that I bought about 20 years ago, and have a Seiko for dress and an old Waltham windup that was my wife's uncle Dons if you recall my Boardwalk Empire thread.
    The short answer is no. Quartz watches are accurate and precise. And cheap. Whether it's a $20 or $2000 electronic watch it's going to keep time about the same, and likely much more accurately than a $10k automatic watch. Buy what you like. Oh, and a cell phone or computer is even more accurate, so you really don't need a watch. That said I have many, and still like to wear them for different reasons and purposes, none of which involve accuracy or precision (much).

Hi Brian,

Cost is a factor, but more in the sense of the cost of the materials and parts used. The other key aspect impacting reliability for a watch movement is the precision with which the parts are assembled into the final movement. The movement in the now-classic Seiko SKX (SKX007/SKX009) dive watches, which when I bought mine in 2015 sold for $179 (for the entire watch) was the 7S26. This movement did not hack or hand-wind, but was exceptionally durable. Given the SKXs retailed for ~$180, the wholesale price was likely about $90, which meant Seiko had no more than $45-50 to spend on the entire BOM (Bill of Materials), assembly, QC, bracelet, and packaging for the watch. So, the movement in the venerable SKXs was likely right in the price range for Seiko movement you've cited here. What you should do is see if you can find out what specification Seiko movement is used you're referring to. AFAIK, the 7S26 movement is no longer in production.

Here's a coupla pics of my SKX. First pic is the original watch, and the second is my mod, including a double-dome AR crystal and a ceramic "Batman" bezel insert.

Mod...

If you can source a built-up Seiko movement, e.g. the NH35, you'll have a reliable movement that also hacks.

some of the watches I am referring to are from Original Grain
    Handcrafted Wood and Steel Watches. Made for Time Well Spent. – Original Grain
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -

some of the watches I am referring to are from Original Grain
    Handcrafted Wood and Steel Watches. Made for Time Well Spent. – Original Grain
    The Original Grain watches use Miyota movements. Miyota is a mechanical watch movement company owned by Citizen; they sell mechanical watch movements for other watch companies. They're solid, reliable, and dependable mechanical watch movements.

Quote Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
    The Original Grain watches use Miyota movements. IiRC, Miyota is a mechanical watch movement company owned by Citizen; they sell mechanical watch movements for other watch companies. They're solid, reliable, and dependable mechanical watch movements.
    Thank you! I really like the looks of a few of them.
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -

I just received this Original Grain Whiskey Espresso watch for my birthday. Love it! They make watches out of various types of barrels and more recently leftover pcs of Martin Guitars.

IMG_0030.JPG
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -

Cool watch Brian and Happy Birthday !
    Cheers ! …. Dave

My (newest) G-Shock, the formidable new Mudmaster, ref. GWGB-1000-3A

Bought this at the Meet the Inventor of G-Shock, Kikuo Ibe, event at Topper Jewelers in Burlingame at the very end of October. Been tough to take this one off, as I really love this piece. Amongst it's myriad features, it has a Barometer, so I can tell when it might rain. I also use it to set alarms and such.

I wear it when I'm out on my training rides on the racing bicycle as I don't want to f*ck up the regulation of one of my mechanicals if I happen to fall while on the bike. It also has a stopwatch function, so I can time my rides.

Oh, and a pic of Ibe-san. What a wonderful person....
    Ĥѱ = 𝐸ѱ

decided to wear the 'bluesy' today .........
    Cheers ! …. Dave

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

What's on your wrist today