Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
    Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada

Re: Classical Music Only | What You're Listening to Now, Or Very Recently | Any Mediums :

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir View Post
    Attachment 2927

Gidon Kremer and Kremerata Baltica playing Part - Glass - Martynov.
    Sample: youtube.com/watch?v=5iogOzE5HAw
    Listening to some samples as I'm posting this (just click on the below picture cover).

--

* Huge fan of Arvo Part and Philip Glass's music (compositions) here.
    ~ Bob ~
    "And it Stoned me to my Soul" Van Morrison
    ClickAudiophile Audition
    Snoopy as the Red Baron attack
    Avatar = The Alan Parsons Project - Eye in the Sky (1982 - orbiting)

Re: Classical Music Only | What You're Listening to Now, Or Very Recently | Any Mediums :

NorthStar,

I find the version of Tabula Rasa - Ludus performed by Kremer and Kremerata Baltica on this rare CD to be the most engaging, dynamic and powerful version out there. IMO it is unmatched.

I'll rip a better sample from my CD and publish it on my YT so you can listen.

I'm also a big fan of Part and Glass.

Listening to Wim Mertens right now. Close Cover (1993).

That reminds me. Have you seen the movie The Piano (1993)? With Michael Nymans compositions?
    B&W CM1 on B&W FS700/CM + Roksan Kandy K2 BT MkII + Native Instruments TA2 + Audioquest Type 4 + JRiver MC19

Hi Vlad,

My name's Bob. ...After four more posts (total of 10) you are free. ...To post pictures and all that jazz.

* Yes, I have 'The Piano', directed by Jane Campion (Canadian female director) on Blu-ray,
    and also the motion picture soundtrack on CD.
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

Howdy Bob. I know about the rule and 3 more posts I'll be a full pledged member.

I was gonna make the gf watch Piano with me just now but she fell asleep. Darn...
    B&W CM1 on B&W FS700/CM + Roksan Kandy K2 BT MkII + Native Instruments TA2 + Audioquest Type 4 + JRiver MC19

Howdy Bob. I know about the rule and 3 more posts I'll be a full pledged member.

I was gonna make the gf watch Piano with me just now but she fell asleep. Darn...
    Lol
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

As promised youtube.com/watch?v=_Ba7JHAsjaY.

Thanks for helping out with the links. Much appreciated.

Off to read a bit and then snore a 40Hz test tone.

Good night.

No sweat Vlad.

~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

Hildur Guðnadóttir : Leyfðu Ljósinu (Allow the Light)

Jóhann Jóhannsson: ibm 1401, a user's manual

Enjoying the 1401s singing once again. Here is a short review I made about this album:

A heart warming music coming from cold and detached Iceland. I found the story behind this superb musical piece truly interesting.

This orchestral piece performed by Prague Philharmonic Orchestra is serving as a memorial of a 60's IBM computer brought as the first computer ever on Iceland and given for care and maintenance to the composer's father. Although the computer was never designed to play music, the father (also a trained musician) placed a radio near the memory electronic circuit because through the RF interference the computer caused audible noise on the radio. By controlling the strength and frequency of the RF noise through some basic programming, IBM 1401 could play music on the radio.

The composer used recorded tapes of the IBM 1401 playing music, also including the voice of an anonymous technical instructor's on how to take care of IBM 1401, and he built upon these raw artifacts with his emotions and memories. Very melodic and evocative piece, completely covered in the Icelandic signature melancholy.

I thoroughly enjoyed listening and recommend Johannsson's IBM 1401, A User's Manual to those that haven't.

Johann Johannsson: Computer on the Radio : NPR

Bob, I agree.

Richard Goode doing the Beethoven piano sonatas are recordings everyone should own.
    Listening Room: McIntosh C46, MEN220, MCD500, MR78-Modafferi modified, MPI4, MC602 (2), Pass Labs XVR1 (three-way), tri-amplified Infinity IRS Series V, TailTwister T2X rotator, AtlasSound FMA Rack, dedicated electrical sub-panel, NO TV!

Living Room: McIntosh C28, MC2300, Revox B226, Tascam CD355, Thorens TD125 MKII w/vacuum platter, Rabco SL-8E, Grace F9-E, McIntosh ML-2C (2) & ML-1C (4) stacked, MQ-107, SAE 2800, Nakamichi Dragon, Tandberg 64X, JL Audio f113 (2), NO TV!

Vlad, I love new Classical stuff; I'll check those two last selections from your last above post (#58).
    ...And so far I highly appreciate your classical/musical taste.

Gary, glad you like it. ...I certainly do too.

_________

By the way, today, for the time that I was home, I exclusively listened (and still listen) to Classical Chamber music,
    on the analog r.a.d.i.o. (KING FM).
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

I got a stack of CDs to try and keep from a friend. Mostly classical leftovers from her ex.

This one really sounds vivid and emotional to me, especially the Britten compositions.

Janine Jansen - Beethoven, Britten: Violin Concertos
    Directed by Paavo Jarvi

Hey Vlad, nice to see you back!
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

Heya Bobby! Why does DECCA sound so good to me?

It's a good record label (in general), and the music is seriously classical.
    ... Paavo Jarvi, right on!
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

Balanescu Quartet
    Possessed

Alexander Balanescu with his quartet plays the songs of Kraftwerk. A fun album to listen to.

--

* A Must.
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

Quote Originally Posted by NorthStar View Post
    --

* A Must.
    Can't find it....
    Paul

Paul, it's not available at Amazon (out-of-stock). ...For now I guess. ...It's an 8-CD Box Set. ..It's an import (France).

But here it is: http://kickass.to/chopin-the-complet...-t3193219.html

And here too: http://www.discogs.com/Chopin-Claudi...elease/1237110
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

Quote Originally Posted by bart View Post

I'm simply in love with this music.
    More pure and raw emotions is hard to achieve I think.
    2 viola da gambas only, but boy, what do they convey!
    Quote Originally Posted by bart View Post

This is a lovely box.
    It has 6 CD's with Bach's Overtures, Brandenburger Concertos, Harpsichord Concertos, Violin Concertos, Oboe Concertos.
    All this is played marvelously, and very well recorded too.
    A big thumbs up!
    --
    WOW,

It is great to see an Alia Vox recording mentioned....the Alia Vox SACD's with Savall (heck, ALL of them) are stunning sounding and are true examples of SACD done correctly. Combine that with booklets that are themselves works of art (in at least six languages!!) they are hard to beat, especially if you like Renaissance music....

Also, the Alpha Productions CD's are also stunning redbook CD's, which I discovered a number of years back by accident. If I had the moolah, I would order the entire Alpha catalog.....

Cheers,

Heya Bobby! Why does DECCA sound so good to me?
    As a person who has listened to classical music for over 40 years (I am 51) I will chime in here. By the time I graduated from college in 1984, I had over 1,400 LP's....and, a large portion of those LPs were London/Decca. I learned early on what labels I liked, and those were labels whose recordings sounded like the real thing...period. Starting in the late 1950's (think Culshaw/Solti/Vienna "Ring Cycle") the sound they started to capture was the most realistic followed by Phillips and EMI. DG recordings, especially after the 1970's) became over miked nightmares, while Decca maintained a more minimal number of microphones....and the sound shows this.

Decca had a long line of killer engineers, none more killer than Wilkie, who was responsible for so many of Decca's great recordings, including my all time favorite Decca recording, Symphonie Fantastique with Solti/Chicago....recorded in 1971 in Champagne-Urbana (U of Ill).....when LP's went away in the US and CD became king, looking at my CD library would show you the proverbial red/blue Decca logo.....the same standard I had for LP's transferred over to CD's....

Sad that in 2013, Decca has fallen from grace (and fallen hard)....which is a shame considering the plethora of magnificent recordings they used to release....

Cheers,

I like Channel Classics too, and BIS, and DG of course. ...Mercury Living Presence, RCA Living Stereo, Telarc, Dorian, Analekta, Reference Recordings, and a bunch more.
    All Classic Music record labels of course.
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

Paul

The entire enchilada (2-Disc Set; fully loaded) :: Classical Opera (Orchestra & Chorus) style (Natalie Dessay: Soprano).

* There is simply no other type of Music and Human Voice as grandiose and emotional than this genre (Natalie's vocals).
    I'm not saying that she's the best, just one of them.
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

The entire enchilada (2-Disc Set; fully loaded) :: Classical Opera (Orchestra & Chorus) style (Natalie Dessay: Soprano).

* There is simply no other type of Music and Human Voice as grandiose and emotional than this genre (Natalie's vocals).
    I'm not saying that she's the best, just one of them.
    Paul

Paul, you were going to say ...?
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

Paul

Sviatoslav Richter - Richter in Leipzig

Oh this is a recital to die for.

Or: Sviatoslav Richter in Leipzig - The 28 November 1963 Recital - YouTube

Again Vladimir, thank you so much for this; just what I need in my life right now.
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

I'm happy you are enjoying the music my friend. I hope all is well.

A very gentle and heartwarming requiem. Angelic, nothing dark and morbid. Despite the fact this musical genius died poor at 35 and was given a modest funeral, his body laid in a shared tomb.

Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra / Herbert von Karajan
    Mozart: Requiem

Sounds really good this evening
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Paul

A very gentle and heartwarming requiem. Angelic, nothing dark and morbid. Despite the fact this musical genius died poor at 35 and was given a modest funeral, his body laid in a shared tomb.

Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra / Herbert von Karajan
    Mozart: Requiem

I just purchased this on LP but no TT ....lol
    Paul

That's ok Paul; just hang it high on your wall and pray, by looking at it, that a TT will fall from the sky.
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

Oops.

--
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

Grammy nominated Original Soundtrack for the PS3 game Journey (2012).

Journey | Austin Wintory

Music composed, orchestrated and produced by Austin Wintory.

Featured soloists:
    Tina Guo: Cello
    Amy Tatum: Flute / Bass Flute
    Charissa Barger: Harp
    Rodney Wirtz: Viola
    Noah Gladstone: Serpent
    Sara Andon: Flute
    Vocal solos performed by Lisbeth Scott; text compiled by Jeremy Howard Beck
    Percussion and programming by Austin Wintory

Orchestral performances by the Macedonia Radio Symphonic Orchestra
    Orchestra conducted by Oleg Kontradenko
    Orchestra contracted by Laurent Koppitz

I'm not that into video games but oh man. This is the most beautiful and serene game ever made. The music on its own is a true journey within oneself.

Journey Walkthrough Part 1 - Stunning and Gorgeous! - (PS3 Gameplay & Commentary) HD - YouTube

Re: Playing right now | CD (2-Disc Set) ::

very nice thank you for posting.
    She reminds me of Yo Yo Ma in her sound and phrasing yet still with an own voice.Good addition to my extended library of Bach cello suites.

--

* Beautiful Bach cello music; and she can play it well too.
    very nice thank you for posting.
    She reminds me of Yo Yo Ma in her sound and phrasing yet still with an own voice.Good addition to my extended library of Bach cello suites.

142440.jpg

This RCA recording is still my favorite rendition of Mahler's titanic Symphony #7

Cheers,

Its also favorite one for Darth Vader.

Its also favorite one for Darth Vader.
    COOL.....this was done in the Medinah Temple and not Orchestra Hall....I love the way Levine lets the brass crank when they asked to do so, and sadly, most of the Mahler 7's leave me lukewarm to cold.....also interesting about this recording was that it was a SoundStream recording (used a lot by Telarc). Telarc released a number of their old SoundStream recordings as stunning SACD's so I was always hopeful that this recording might make it on to an SACD....oh well, c'est la vie

Cheers,

--
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

And we shall call it a night with this:

Good night all...

​Evange

MAIN:
    Clearaudio Champion ~ Benz REF3 ~ EAR 834P ~ Leben CS600 ~ Devore Fidelity "Nines" ~ Wavelength DAC ~ Arcam 7se CDP ~ Mac Pro server ~ Transparent cabling
    DEN: Thorens TD125 MK2 ~ Dynavector 10X5 ~ Fisher 500B ~ Devore Fidelity "Eights" ~ Cambridge Azur 540C CDP ~ Transparent cabling
    BASEMENT: AR-XB ~ Shure M91ED ~ Fisher 500C ~ ProAc Studio 125 ~ TEAC X-2000R ~ Transparent cabling

Night Evange, enjoy your evening.
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

Vincent Belanger, Là

Local artist on the Fidelio label. Fidelio is a local audiophile label which has had excellent reviews
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dan

The older I get the more I know how little I know!

Good night all....

Mahler

Symphony No. 5
    -Decca-

​Evange

MAIN:
    Clearaudio Champion ~ Benz REF3 ~ EAR 834P ~ Leben CS600 ~ Devore Fidelity "Nines" ~ Wavelength DAC ~ Arcam 7se CDP ~ Mac Pro server ~ Transparent cabling
    DEN: Thorens TD125 MK2 ~ Dynavector 10X5 ~ Fisher 500B ~ Devore Fidelity "Eights" ~ Cambridge Azur 540C CDP ~ Transparent cabling
    BASEMENT: AR-XB ~ Shure M91ED ~ Fisher 500C ~ ProAc Studio 125 ~ TEAC X-2000R ~ Transparent cabling

Enjoy your evening Evange.

* I was listening to Classical music all day today; various, on the r.a.d.i.o. (analog, stereo).
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

The Mehta/LA Phil is not my favorite Mahler 5...I have over 20 recordings (CD and SACD) of Mahler's 5th, though the Decca sound on the Mehta is very fine...my favorite, until I hear the new Mahler 5 with Fischer, is the MTT/SFSO (SACD) and an old Teldec with Sinopoli and New York

Cheers,

Right Now (on CD) ::

--

_________

♪ Sample:
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

--
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Classical Music Only | What You're Listening to Now, Or Very Recently | Any Mediums :