Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 19 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Re: What are you watching?

Quote Originally Posted by NorthStar View Post
    * Bill, is there a film(s) in the works about The Silmarillion?
    This is a very good question ... Google "Silmarillion movie". Many, but not, all Tolkien fans would love to see one -- or more precisely a series of movies, since there is plenty of material.

Peter Jackson doesn't have the rights to The Silmarillion as he does to the LoTR and Hobbit. For a further point of view, see "Why Peter Jackson Will Never Film The Silmarillion".

By the way, perhaps you're aware that Fëanor is an major character in The Silmarillion.
    ~ Bill

Win10/Foobar2000 => Topping D90 DAC => Sonic Frontiers Line 1 SE+ preamp => VTV Purifi 1ET400A stereo amp with Sparkos SS3602 op amps => Zaph Audio ZRT speakers (DIY) + PSB Subsonic 5 subwoofer

Yes, and with Peter Jackson's own readings of the books and interpretations and with his team of other advocates (interpreters - one woman in particular; I forgot her name), his elaborate films come also with tons of baggage; many other informative discs about EVERYTHING.

Like I said Brian; it is a very fortunate accident that I did not read all the books, not even one. But I did check some interesting facts from the special features (Blu-ray discs), so I'm aware of some of the stuff like the changes made for the films, and some of the free interpretation, and some of the stuff omitted, and other added. After all he took some liberties in creating his movies the way he saw them fit, with hos own personal touch. He tried to replicate the stories from the books as best as he could but adapted for films at the theater, and then at home (Extended Editions).

Yes, I read several comments on several forums about some scenes that were not accurate compared to the books, missing parts, and free ones.

If we are doing an elaborate analysis from the films versus the books we would probably be able to write an encyclopedia just on the LOTR and the Hobbit alone!

There are several type of viewers; which type should we respect more, the ones who read all the books of the films they watched or the ones who didn't? Of course neither one, it's all a balancing artistic act.
    Should films be made only when they are original (true art form - pure creativity), or are we allowed to make films based on books and live facts?
    And then, no two people would ever make the very same film. Of course not; no one has the exact same vision as the next person standing or sitting beside him/her.

That's why most films based on books are loose (loosely based on a true story, or a fantasy story). ...Picasso, where did he get his inspiration?

And the writers; did they saw the things that they wrote exactly the same as the readers who read their books? Ha!
    To be or not to be, that is the question.
    I don't mind so much if they leave out some detail, because if not the movies would be even longer due to Tolkien's detail. But to change detail where there is no need to change it, as it does not do anything to help.

I think the whole idea bringing these books to film was to cash in on all us LOTR Loyalists. Think about it....first out on DVD, then re-released as Extended Versions, then re-released as Blu. That was not all for those who never read the books and don't know the story, although they did cash in on those people some too at the movies.

Look what they did to Steven King's Under The Dome. They strayed from the book straight away so they could drag it out into multiple seasons and keep twisting the story further.

Oh well, Artistic Interpretation from those who could not write it let alone dream it all up.
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -
    Rotel RCD-1572 / Rega P3 > Luxman 505UX Mark II > Fyne Audio F502SPs > Synergistic Cables

Secondary - OPPO 93 > VAC CLA 1 MKII Pre > Odyssey Stratos > Dynaudio Audience 82s > Tara Labs Cables

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowfax View Post
    I don't mind so much if they leave out some detail, because if not the movies would be even longer due to Tolkien's detail. But to change detail where there is no need to change it, as it does not do anything to help.

I think the whole idea bringing these books to film was to cash in on all us LOTR Loyalists. Think about it....first out on DVD, then re-released as Extended Versions, then re-released as Blu. That was not all for those who never read the books and don't know the story, although they did cash in on those people some too at the movies.
    And it's not only plot details that are a problem. One of the most egregious liberties Jackson took with the LoTR was casting Elijah Wood as Frodo, portraying him as a callow 20 year old (in human terms). The "real" Frodo Baggins was 50 y.o. when he set out on the ring quest; (given hobbits mature more slowly than humans, 35-40 y.o. in human terms). Most of the rest of the casting was OK; notably good was Ian McKellen as Gandalf, who, BTW, is hard-core Tolkien fan.

I suppose Jackson's screenwriters advised him that typical viewers "wouldn't understand" Frodo's particular sort of naivete if he were portrayed by a 40 y/o. That is, similar to the Faramir issue. Those bitches should be garrotted, (opps! what am I saying. Gosh, sorry).
    ~ Bill

Win10/Foobar2000 => Topping D90 DAC => Sonic Frontiers Line 1 SE+ preamp => VTV Purifi 1ET400A stereo amp with Sparkos SS3602 op amps => Zaph Audio ZRT speakers (DIY) + PSB Subsonic 5 subwoofer

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
    I believe people have actually done written encyclopedic comparisons of the films to the book. I could find links no doubt ...

Personally I acknowledge Jackson's artistic right to interpret Tolkien's works. My objections to his changes, (additions/deletions), are purely personal. But I know that most Tolkien fans also object, though not necessarily to same things nor to the same extent because -- as you say -- people don't illustrate the same text in the same way in their minds' eyes.

Yes, Bob, it is fortunate that you have not read the books to the extent that it allows you to appreciate the films on their own merits.
    We Tolkien fans are thus less fortunate because we are biased by our knowledge of the "sacred text".
    However most of us agree that books are greater than the films; Christopher Tolkien, (J.R.R.'s son and literary executor), was ultimately correct when he said that they had to be read and cinema could never really do them justice.
    - Interesting; I'm totally free, without any bias myself.

- If you say so I believe you because you are not alone in saying that.

- The films shouldn't have been made? ...Well, perhaps by a better and more accurate director?

<<<>>> Five thousand years ago cinema wasn't invented yet; they did not have lenses, cameras, and film pellicules.
    What they had was chisels and stones and words. Just imagine for one moment if their tools would have been more oriented towards moving pictures! ...
    ~ Bob ~
    "And it Stoned me to my Soul" Van Morrison
    ClickAudiophile Audition
    Snoopy as the Red Baron attack
    Avatar = The Alan Parsons Project - Eye in the Sky (1982 - orbiting)

This is a very good question ... Google "Silmarillion movie". Many, but not, all Tolkien fans would love to see one -- or more precisely a series of movies, since there is plenty of material.

Peter Jackson doesn't have the rights to The Silmarillion as he does to the LoTR and Hobbit.
    For a further point of view, see "Why Peter Jackson Will Never Film The Silmarillion".

By the way, perhaps you're aware that Fëanor is a major character in The Silmarillion.
    No but now I am.
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowfax View Post

Look what they did to Steven King's Under The Dome. They strayed from the book straight away so they could drag it out into multiple seasons and keep twisting the story further.

Oh well, Artistic Interpretation from those who could not write it let alone dream it all up.
    And also look at what they're doing with our smartphones and the Internet! ...Talk about artistic content!
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

Who is controlling our lives? ...Books, films, paintings, museums, communication companies, TVs, fast food, music, ...?
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

Last night, revisited ::

-> Unfortunately I was tired and felt asleep. ...I'll take it from where I left off, tonight.

The night before last night (in 3D) ::

-> Big mistake, make that huge! ...Don't go there, you might lose your soul!
    {I wasn't going to tell but I had too because with the good there is also the bad. ...And this one is real bad!}
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

Pass A Grille Florida 1/2 the year at the beach house.

Inception was great. Plus a great sounding movie.
    2 Channel: Sonus Faber Elipsa's, JL sub, McIntosh 501 amps, McIntosh tuner, pre-amp, CD player, Wire World. Pro-ject TT.

Home Theater Room: McIntosh LS360's, 2 JL F113 subs, Projector, Oppo, 5.1 System.

Office: Sonus Faber Auditors, McIntosh MA 2275, Concept TT.

Long term system 1970's: McIntosh ML 1C speakers, MAC 1700, McIntosh MQ 101 Eq.

Headphones: Audeze LCD 3, Woo Amp.

And Christopher Nolan is a great director.
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

What am I watching- Sophia Vergara and Modern family
    My Gear- Mains System-Pass X250 amp, BAT VK-51se preamp, Luxman DA-06 DAC, Magnepan 1.6's, Thorens TD-145 TT, Dual Martin Logan Subs, Vintage Luxman T-110 Tuner, Cables-WW Platinum 7 USB, Cardas Parsec XLR, AQ Columbia DBS 72v XLR, Belden 8402 XLR.

Bob, you wrote, "Who is controlling our lives? ...Books, films, paintings, museums, communication companies, TVs, fast food, music, ...?" You know, at this late time in my life I hope I am controlling them.

When I was younger we had only three major networks, no VCRS, DVDS etc. I could only see a complete movie for the time it was in the theater. But before the rating Board (G, M, R and X) movies were heavily censored so movies were not complete. Now movies in the theatres are far less censored and "full versions" are often available on DVDs. And I can time shift my TV viewing and miss shows, even when several are on at the same time. I don;t have to go out for a newspaper and I don;t even have to have it delivered. I get it on my Ipad.

But I used to get all my news and information from the communication companies, but that is no longer true. There are several other sources and people, some I trust, some I don't (including you!!!!!!!! in the trusting) that I never had available before.

This is a very different world than what I grew up in
    Barry
    Controller: Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo 105; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: RevelVoice 2; Rear/Back: Thiel Powerplanes/Krell S1500 amp Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV Receiver: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS66U; Screen: Vue Tech 108; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc Player

Game of Thrones, Season 4 ... surely I'm not alone here?

Game of Thrones: Viewers per episode (in millions)

• Season 1 (2011): Viewers of the first airing on HBO in the US on Sundays 9:00 pm.
    • Season 2 (2012): Viewers of the first airing on HBO in the US on Sundays 9:00 pm.
    • Season 3 (2013): Viewers of the first airing on HBO in the US on Sundays 9:00 pm.
    • Season 4 (2014): Viewers of the first airing on HBO in the US on Sundays 9:00 pm.

Additionally it seems GoT is also the most "downloaded" series ever.
    ~ Bill

I also watch Game of Throne's. I just started in the fall and caught up last month.
    My Gear- Mains System-Pass X250 amp, BAT VK-51se preamp, Luxman DA-06 DAC, Magnepan 1.6's, Thorens TD-145 TT, Dual Martin Logan Subs, Vintage Luxman T-110 Tuner, Cables-WW Platinum 7 USB, Cardas Parsec XLR, AQ Columbia DBS 72v XLR, Belden 8402 XLR.

Quote Originally Posted by Lefisc View Post
    Bob, you wrote, "Who is controlling our lives? ...Books, films, paintings, museums, communication companies, TVs, fast food, music, ...?" You know, at this late time in my life I hope I am controlling them.
    Lol, yes, just a way to say that sometimes I feel that I'm not in control anymore of my destiny, and I'm sure that I'm not the only one who feels this way. Just take it in a humorous and realistic context Barry, because the higher powers above do inflict some influences on our lives. But ultimately we are the ones who accept or reject. ...And decide where we want to go.

When I was younger we had only three major networks, no VCRS, DVDS etc. I could only see a complete movie for the time it was in the theater. But before the rating Board (G, M, R and X) movies were heavily censored so movies were not complete. Now movies in the theatres are far less censored and "full versions" are often available on DVDs. And I can time shift my TV viewing and miss shows, even when several are on at the same time. I don;t have to go out for a newspaper and I don;t even have to have it delivered. I get it on my Ipad.

But I used to get all my news and information from the communication companies, but that is no longer true. There are several other sources and people, some I trust, some I don't (including you!!!!!!!! in the trusting) that I never had available before.

This is a very different world than what I grew up in
    Very good points Barry; when we were in our twenties we didn't have Internet and all that source of information we have now.
    Different drives were our life motivations, and education (@ school and at home - family and friends) was our main source (with AM radios, black & white tube and round TVs, rabbit antennas, etc. of that sort).
    Now look where we are at! ...But even more than that; look at where we were then!

Anyway, today we play with our PCs and Macs, tablets and iPods, smartphones and ultrabooks, digital picture frames and all that technological jazz. But the planet is still round and inhabited by humans, and animals. Our emotions are related to our surroundings; all in all with the times we now live in. And when you think about it you can see the shifting in human evolution.
    {Just as a quick note: Look at Putin where he now has to explain himself; because of a more informed world population.}

Last night I tried to finish watching 'Inception' with Leonardo but I felt asleep again!
    It must have something to do with the codeine in my system; I'm having some strong pain recently...
    I'll give it another shot tonight, perhaps.
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

All Men Must Die* ...I don't watch TV, but this title is funnily catchy.

* Is that any good; this ain't mainly for kids?
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

All Men Must Die* ...I don't watch TV, but this title is funnily catchy.

* Is that any good; this ain't mainly for kids?
    Define "kid". Your tone is a bit condescending but then you don't watch TV so you may be excused.

According to Metacritic.com, Game of Thrones, Season 4 enjoys a critics' rating of 94% and a viewers' rating of 9.4/10 -- these are relatively very high ratings, and I have no reason to disagree bases on my own viewing.
    ~ Bill

Kids; us. ...Who else; men have always remain kids, they never grew up, never developed as real mature responsible upright adults.

Is it similar to The Hunger Games? ...No, probably not. I'm sorry I just don't know nothing of that Series (Game of Thrones).
    I got no cable @ home, so I never watch TV, for the last twenty years or so. At one point my TV was the mountains and the forests outside. ...Then National Geographic on the Internet. ...And all that jazz.

Movies on Blu-ray; that yes I watch. ...Music concerts, Documentaries, ...

If Game of Thrones is so popular how come not more people here post their experience?

Bill, I'm simply humorous, and honest.
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

Bill, I found this, and it looks quite interesting:

...And this: Is 'Game Of Thrones' New On Easter? Find Out If Season 4, Episode 3 'Breaker Of Chains' Will Air On Easter Sunday

Sorry if I came up "condescending"; but I wasn't because I simply don't know about this Series, and even if I knew about it I would never adopt an attitude of that sort.
    But I can see how my post could have sounded like you just described. Best is to always see the positive side of things; the good humor. ...And not everyone has the same experience, or knowledge on stuff we watch (or don't have the chance to); like in this situation right here.

Again I'm sorry; I understand, and I can be more delicate (higher level of awareness) in the future.
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

Kids; us. ...Who else; men have always remain kids, they never grew up, never developed as real mature responsible upright adults.

Is it similar to The Hunger Games? ...No, probably not. I'm sorry I just don't know nothing of that Series (Game of Thrones).
    I got no cable @ home, so I never watch TV, for the last twenty years or so. At one point my TV was the mountains and the forests outside. ...Then National Geographic on the Internet. ...And all that jazz.

Movies on Blu-ray; that yes I watch. ...Music concerts, Documentaries, ...

If Game of Thrones is so popular how come not more people here post their experience?

Bill, I'm simply humorous, and honest.
    TV remains a wasteland mostly. I have cable, (actually satellite), but of all my monthly bills it's the one I most begrudge.

As to why people here don't comment on GoT, I don't know. The facile answer might be that they are too occupied with their music listening.

Of course you are humorous & honest, Bob, and it's appreciated.
    ~ Bill

Sorry if I came up "condescending"; but I wasn't because I simply don't know about this Series, and even if I knew about it I would never adopt an attitude of that sort.
    But I can see how my post could have sounded like you just described. Best is to always see the positive side of things; the good humor. ...And not everyone has the same experience, or knowledge on stuff we watch (or don't have the chance to); like in this situation right here.

Again I'm sorry; I understand, and I can be more delicate (higher level of awareness) in the future.
    Absolutely no need to be sorry; I really only took what you said as humor. My admonishment was the same

I wish I could stay away from the TV addition. I do mostly watch news -- I could get the same from the Internet, but my eye problems limit my computer time. TV is easier on my eyes than the computer screen for some reason.

Game of Thrones is really good fun. Of course it's fantasy, not weighty. If you were a really evil person like some I've heard of, you could download GoT via BitTorrent and watch it with neither cable nor HBO.
    ~ Bill

I'm no evil , I don't ever download music and movies (couple songs before because I was asked to give my opinion).

I don't have anything against people living their life freely, as long as they hurt no one in any shape, way or form.
    I know people (friends) who download movies, and music on a regular basis, and some of them are among my best friends.

Anyhow, I can't afford to pay a TV service provider and be constrained to a bunch of useless channels.
    The day that we'll pay only for what we want that'll be the day! ...And for a fair price.

I made those sacrifices a long time ago, and I adapt to the love that I believe in. And I totally respect the love that others put somewhere else. That's the real essence of life and how we can assess our own, based on true family values and positive and intelligent growing up of our own creative energy and communication and learning and teaching and sharing of it all.

I have no preconception and misconception whatsoever. I believe in everything that is good in life, and nothing is bad if no one feel offended.
    And the offence is often perceived by the offended as such, without having been committed by an offender as an offence at all.
    I'm talking Internet here, not real life bandits.

Anyway, Game of Thrones I'm sure is entertaining, and that's all what counts for the lovers.
    And we can only love the things and people we are exposed to.

Tonight, I have a plan, about what I'm going to watch. I already mentioned it; but I do have a backup plan, and only tomorrow or the day after or further that I would share the result of that plan. ...Nothing is specifically determined (written in stone tablets).

By the way, do you watch hockey, the Stanley Cup series? ...That too is another type of series; Sports, and in real time live.
    Me I don't, because I don't have cable (satellite) and I watch movies instead, and google around. Is that good? Of course it is; same for my friend who is a hockey addict, like I used to be when I was sixteen and that we won our four championships. ...And football too, and baseball, and you name it.

Today I'm not a good footballer no more, and my golfing handicap is not that good either.
    Listening to music and watching movies are two things among others where I put some time. ...No cable.
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

Barry, how's the new computer? ...Are you watching something interesting on it (screen)? ...And btw, what kind of PC screen are you using? ...HD, Ultra HD, 3D, size?
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

Northern California Coast & San Francisco

Anyhow, I can't afford to pay a TV service provider and be constrained to a bunch of useless channels.
    The day that we'll pay only for what we want that'll be the day! ...And for a fair price.
    Listening to music and watching movies are two things among others where I put some time. ...No cable.
    I recently cut the cable (Sat) connection by limiting my TV time to news broadcasts picked up over the air with a simple antenna. With today's digital TV transmissions, I get a perfect picture (High Def) on several local channels. For movies, Netflix provides 2 Blue Ray discs at a time for $15/mo. This works out to a little over $1/movie. Game of Thrones is one of many TV series available on Netflix, and perhaps I will add it to my queue. I did get hooked on "Breaking Bad" and watched the entire series despite it's not being something that raises the spirit or nourishes the soul.

Music is my main entertainment, occupying most evenings. My wife is the TV/movie addict. I will watch a film if it is something worthwhile and highly rated by the critics.
    70023507.jpg 70272893.jpg
    Here are two I recently watched and enjoyed, worthy of my time. The first one is about a musician and music.

Bob- how do you get your movies?
    Tom
    Ultimate Audio
    SoundLab Dealer

Country System:
    SoundLab Ultimate-1PX Electrostatic Speakers
    Pass Labs XP-32 pre, Pass Labs XA60.8 Amps
    Pass Lab XP-27 phono stage
    SME 20/2 table with SME V arm, Stillpoints LPI
    Minus-K BM-8 passive vibration control under tt
    Dynavector XV-1s, Koeitsu Rosewood Signature cartridges, Klaudio RCM
    Roon Nucleus+ powered by Keces P-8 LPS
    Lumin X-1 Network Music Player
    3 dedicated AC lines
    Shunyata Omega PC to Everest for all source devices
    Typhon for each amp powered by 2 dedicated circuits
    Various Shunyata Alpha & Sigma PC's throughout.
    Stillpoints under everything.

City System:
    Ayre KX-R Twenty Preamp
    Pass Labs X-260.8 Monoblocks
    Esoteric K-03 SACD Player
    Roon Nucleus+powered by UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS
    Sound Lab Ultimate-545PX Speakers
    Shunyata Hydra 8, Typhon QR
    Various Shunyata Alpha & Sigma PC's throughout
    Stillpoints under everything. Multiple room acoustic panels.

Tom, I buy my Blu-ray movies. ...From various sources including Amazon. ...I don't download anything ever (my PC has only 512mb of RAM, and 40GB HDD and has only a CD-Rom drive, and my Internet speed is extremely slow), and I don't rent anymore (video stores).
    My new laptop has a broken speaker and I'm returning it! ...Real bummer!

My TV has rabbit antennas to watch the snow. And my TV is never on till at least late in the evening, for movie watching, strictly.
    The news and all that stuff I get over from the Internet (plane disappearing over the Indian Ocean, Russia and Ukraine, Samsung Galaxy S5, Global Warning, etc.).

* I just bought Touch of Evil on Blu, and I'll watch it when pre-disposed.

Life is just too short to watch too much TV. ...The reason why I don't get cable. Right now I'm listening to a CD (music); Winton Marsalis & Eric Clapton Play the Blues - Live from Jazz at Lincoln Center. ...And replying to you here at the Shark in this thread.
    Few minutes ago I was outside and walking peacefully on my lovely lawn, and listening to the birds (all type here; I live in a sanctum, sanctuary for peaceful people and animals, birds aplenty), and contemplating all the beautiful flowers of all colors (many species). ...And all the mountains surrounding me @ 360 degree, and the majestic trees decorating my views.

I don't know the deep secrets of happiness; I only want peace and freedom surrounding my life. Music listening is very good, and I love movies with a passion.
    But music takes 90% of my time compared to movies; so that should tell you some about me.

Yes, Blu-ray movies that I buy, that's what. ...And since the very beginning; 2006. ...Before that, DVDs, since 1996. ...And before, VHS tapes.
    I have never watched a movie from my PC, ever! My PC is strictly for communication purpose and learning of course plus new discoveries; youtube, wars, peace, and all that jazz.

That's good you just shared them couple flicks above.
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

By the way, do you watch hockey, the Stanley Cup series? ...That too is another type of series; Sports, and in real time live.
    Me I don't, because I don't have cable (satellite) and I watch movies instead, and google around. Is that good? Of course it is; same for my friend who is a hockey addict, like I used to be when I was sixteen and that we won our four championships. ...And football too, and baseball, and you name it.

Today I'm not a good footballer no more, and my golfing handicap is not that good either.
    You seem a very civilized person, Bob.

There is a lot of junk on cable/satellite and if one wants such good stuff as there is, one forced to take and pay for the rubbish. I continue the service largely because of my wife & daughter. I do subscribe to Netflix though it too leaves lots to be desired; (it could be that the selection is a lot better in the USA). But Netflix at $8/mo is a lot better value than cable.

No, I don't watch hockey or other sports. For better or worse I've never had any interest in sport, which makes me pretty untypical I guess.
    ~ Bill

Bob-

Why buy? If I want to see it a 2nd time, I just order it again. Rarely happens! At $1 per film, I can buy lots more music which is what really nourishes my soul. And yes, my environment (nature, wildlife, beauty) is very important.
    Tom
    Ultimate Audio
    SoundLab Dealer

Country System:
    3 dedicated AC lines

City System:
    Ayre KX-R Twenty Preamp

Barry, is this is it? ... HP ENVY Phoenix 810-170st Desktop PC | HP® Official Store

~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

Quote Originally Posted by MtnHam View Post
    Bob-

Why buy? If I want to see it a 2nd time, I just order it again. Rarely happens! At $1 per film, I can buy lots more music which is what really nourishes my soul.
    Why not? I like hi-res audio and hi-def picture from my Blu-ray collection, and I can re-watch them anytime I feel like it, in total freedom.
    My friend buy wines and beers and scotch, and download his movies for not much at all. The wines are good, but the movies look awful! ...And the sound too! ...And he's a professional musician! ...Me I'm just an amateur.

Tom, when you rent your flicks, are they in 1080p and hi-res (lossless) multichannel audio?
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

You seem a very civilized person, Bob.
    Of course I am Bill, and you are too, and all the members here on this site.

There is a lot of junk on cable/satellite and if one wants such good stuff as there is, one forced to take and pay for the rubbish.
    You just said it!

I continue the service largely because of my wife & daughter. I do subscribe to Netflix though it too leaves lots to be desired; (it could be that the selection is a lot better in the USA). But Netflix at $8/mo is a lot better value than cable.
    I totally understand. ...A family is like a door to your house; without one you cannot enter.
    * Not everyone is following the same current. We all make our own decisions according to our own life priorities of the moment.
    If you want to travel the world you need a passport, if you want to drive you need a licence, if you want to rent from Netflix you need a subscription.
    If you want to live free, you buy your way out the way you feel at ease (stress-free), in the moment, and with cash. The less bills you have to pay the better off you are, I think and believe.
    Better consecrated your time on things that truly matter; music, love, peace, and overall harmony in the world with everyone.
    The rest is just cheap whiskey.

No, I don't watch hockey or other sports. For better or worse I've never had any interest in sport, which makes me pretty untypical I guess.
    I don't either, now. ...But I used too, a long time ago. <<>> What is truly "untypical" or/and "typical" Bill? ...Ha!
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

Why not? I like hi-res audio and hi-def picture from my Blu-ray collection.
    Tom, when you rent your flicks, are they in 1080p and hi-res (lossless) multichannel audio?
    They are Blu-Ray discs, exactly the same as you are purchasing, not downloads. They come in the mail, and totally legitimate!
    Tom
    Ultimate Audio
    SoundLab Dealer

Country System:
    3 dedicated AC lines

City System:
    Ayre KX-R Twenty Preamp

Really? ...And only for a dollar? ...I must be doing some' wrong here.

3D too!

_________

I remember some of them Blu-rays I used to rent from video stores; no special features, no commentary tracks, and sometimes with inferior audio (I used to rent a lot).

What about those red boxes I sometimes see in grocery stores?
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

Perhaps true audiophiles and videophiles are the ones who spend the less money for their material?

- A BD player you can get for five bucks (used one).
    - A 1080p screen you can get from a used smartphone with an HDMI input and for hundred bucks or less.
    - A simulated hi-res multichannel audio you can get from a free application in your smartphone.
    - A Blu-ray movie you can download for only few cents (same with MP3 music).

Or you can get the larger picture and audio for not really that much more; five grands all together can put you in the director's chair.

Anything over that is just excess whiskey.

Tom, why then are they selling Blu-rays? ...For suckers like me?
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

3D too!

_________

I remember some of them Blu-rays I used to rent from video stores; no special features, no commentary tracks, and sometimes with inferior audio (I used to rent a lot).

Every time I have looked at a "RedBox" I see nothing but crap targeted to teenagers and idiots.
    Tom
    Ultimate Audio
    SoundLab Dealer

Country System:
    3 dedicated AC lines

City System:
    Ayre KX-R Twenty Preamp

Every time I have looked at a "RedBox" I see nothing but crap targeted to teenagers and idiots.
    That's probably why I don't spend any time there; I'm the only one around and looking!
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

Hi Bob. First let me address that the new computer is exactly the one that you showed. I did get an additional Blu-ray writer for it though. I have large files for my book and a Blu-ray player – writer is just what I need to backup my files. So far I needed a bit of help from their tech support to set everything up, but the computer is running very well. I have a Samsung sync master 2430 monitor that does not need to be replaced. I set up my computer to look very much like Windows XP so I am not using any touchscreen. Touchscreen is fine for laptops but I don't think they do well for desktops. From where I'm sitting a mouse and a keyboard or the most comfortable.

I want to have the Blu-ray experience when I do you movies. That is I want the great picture and a terrific sound. So I have started using red box on occasion. For example I knew I didn't want to buy the Lone Ranger movie but for a dollar 50 I could get the Blu-ray. Unlike you guys I have seen very good movies listed there. Movies that include Nebraska, Philomenia and Dallas buyers Club. Most of the time I have bought movies either new or used from Amazon. Bob, just like you, I just got touch of evil and I'm dying to see it. I saw this version intermuseum last year. It is so much better than the crappy one that they have shown on TV. For example well has a five minute opening shot that is not edited. It's one long cake. When originally released they put credits over it so you never really got the effect of that shot.

I still have cable because I am a big baseball fan and I really enjoy watching my local teams as well as the national coverage of baseball games. In addition I do like the movie channels. I get to see movies that I would not necessarily pay for Normally I don't get them with the full Blu-ray effect but certain movies, and I just saw American hustle, for example would not need to be a Blu-ray experience. By the way I saw that movie the movie theater. I do watch the news daily on television and yes I do watch a few TV series. Not many just a couple including The Big Bang Theory and S H I E l d.
    Barry
    Controller: Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo 105; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: RevelVoice 2; Rear/Back: Thiel Powerplanes/Krell S1500 amp Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV Receiver: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS66U; Screen: Vue Tech 108; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc Player

There a just a few shows that I watch or can watch with my schedule. If it was not for my wife, I could do without tv. I use to watch more tv but there is such dreck on now it is pathetic. Even the history and learning channels have gone down hill. I do watch a lot of sports though. We use to rent a lot of movies from block buster but now that they are defunk my BR player has been gathering dust.

To those who have not watched Game of Thrones or True Detectives you are missing some great TV and story telling.

3D too!

_________

Yes, Netflix has 3d movies and include same audio soundtracks as the consumer discs but many of the newer discs don't include any of the extras. Those usually say "rental" across the face. I too am a happy Netflix subscriber (disc only- no streaming).

I suspect if youi subscribe to Netflix you'd like Red Box, which ae thsoe big red machines at supermarlkets. You can reserve and select and home and pick it up at the store for $1 to $1.50
    Barry

I suspect if youi subscribe to Netflix you'd like Red Box, which ae thsoe big red machines at supermarlkets. You can reserve and select and home and pick it up at the store for $1 to $1.50
    The Netflix library is deep and broad, supplying me with many films which hold little or no interest for the general public; ie foreign films with subtitles, cerebral etc. On the occasions when I have looked for titles in a Redbox, I find nothing but junk- action, animation, car chases, etc. Much like what finds at the local cineplex. Here's one from Netflix you will never find at Redbox!
    70267830.jpg
    Tom
    Ultimate Audio
    SoundLab Dealer

Country System:
    3 dedicated AC lines

City System:
    Ayre KX-R Twenty Preamp

Tom,

I should have said, if you are interested in NEW movies and like Netflix.......
    Barry

Hi Bob. First let me address that the new computer is exactly the one that you showed. I did get an additional Blu-ray writer for it though. I have large files for my book and a Blu-ray player – writer is just what I need to backup my files. So far I needed a bit of help from their tech support to set everything up, but the computer is running very well. I have a Samsung sync master 2430 monitor that does not need to be replaced. I set up my computer to look very much like Windows XP so I am not using any touchscreen. Touchscreen is fine for laptops but I don't think they do well for desktops. From where I'm sitting a mouse and a keyboard or the most comfortable.

I want to have the Blu-ray experience when I do you movies. That is I want the great picture and a terrific sound. So I have started using red box on occasion. For example I knew I didn't want to buy the Lone Ranger movie but for a dollar 50 I could get the Blu-ray. Unlike you guys I have seen very good movies listed there. Movies that include Nebraska, Philomenia and Dallas buyers Club. Most of the time I have bought movies either new or used from Amazon. Bob, just like you, I just got touch of evil and I'm dying to see it. I saw this version intermuseum last year. It is so much better than the crappy one that they have shown on TV. For example well has a five minute opening shot that is not edited. It's one long cake. When originally released they put credits over it so you never really got the effect of that shot.

I still have cable because I am a big baseball fan and I really enjoy watching my local teams as well as the national coverage of baseball games. In addition I do like the movie channels. I get to see movies that I would not necessarily pay for Normally I don't get them with the full Blu-ray effect but certain movies, and I just saw American hustle, for example would not need to be a Blu-ray experience. By the way I saw that movie the movie theater. I do watch the news daily on television and yes I do watch a few TV series. Not many just a couple including The Big Bang Theory and S H I E l d.
    That was a good read, and to the point; thx Barry.

Yesterday was Good Friday, today is Saturday, tomorrow is Easter Sunday (Orthodox Easter), the day after tomorrow is Easter Monday, and then Earth Day (Plant a Tree), and then my Birthday (Plant another one), and for the last month or so I am in pain (teeth related), my laptop was no good (broken speaker - they shouldn't have sold it to me), and I'm still alive but one less day..., and I couldn't finish 'Inception' for too many reasons.

There is no recipe on how to live life happy; each one of us discover one of them and abide by it the best he/she could. And tomorrow might rain...

Blu-rays are like car wash; makes your car shine, but aren't necessary, and once in a while it's good to revisit.
    You can ask your son to do it for you or you can go to your local one and pay. ...Or you can do it yourself.
    At the end, it is what makes your car happy, but because a car doesn't have emotions, then the task is related to you, and to the onlookers.
    It's only a car, only a Blu-ray, and love is much more important, and health, and friendship, and respect, and family, and nature, and life small appreciations, and pets, and music, and movies, and TV (watching stuff that transports you), and radio, and a computer, a phone, and an hi-fi stereo sound system, and a home theater, and a home to put it in, and few doors, and windows (but not too many in your home theater room), a car if you need to be transported privately, a truck if you need to transport your own goods, a job to pay the bills and entertain yourself with the money left over, a certain knowledge on smart investment, a communication skill, a sense of being alive and an ability to transfer that aliveness to others, a good heart and soul and spirit.
    ...Life is like a movie screening in front and all around you non-stop for a certain time (years and years and years or only for a short time), life is like a Blu-ray movie; you have the choice of 2D and 3D, and you can pick anyone, and for some it cost more than to others.

We, all of us, register life emotions from our own sense and sensibilities.
    And it don't matter if we live in another country without borders, without laws, and without respect for human lives, and living without a roof, without a religion, without food, and without a sense of who we are. *
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

Quote Originally Posted by Mechnutt View Post

To those who have not watched Game of Thrones or True Detectives you are missing some great TV and story telling.
    I am deeply sadden by my missing it (them both). ...Is my deep sadness fairly justified? ...I will never know, but through your own eyes you found the satisfaction in watching them, and you feel it's good to "those" (others too). And you might be 100% right, or less.

* Did you see 'Baraka' and 'Samsara' on Blu-ray? ...If not I think that you may have missed some powerful stuff.
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

Quote Originally Posted by Matt715 View Post
    Yes, Netflix has 3d movies and include same audio soundtracks as the consumer discs but many of the newer discs don't include any of the extras. Those usually say "rental" across the face. I too am a happy Netflix subscriber (disc only- no streaming).
    That is excellent Matt, and Tom, and everyone else who rent Blu-rays from 'Netflicks'; you guys save a lot of money by becoming a subscriber.
    I'll have to look into this and perhaps change one life's rabbit (habit) of mine. ...Saving money is good, for the spiritual metabolism.

* Netflix is only $15/month, or only $1 per Blu-ray movie? ...How do you return them BDs? ...How long to get one you ordered?
    What is the total average you guys are paying every month to have the privilege of access to TV programming and all the movies you're watching? ...The total; cable box (or satellite box), Netflix, Vudu, Hulu, Guru, etc., including all the taxes, shipping, and hidden fees.

And! If not receiving physical discs by the mail, how much stuff is true HD (@ least 720p) and without picture breaking up or sound dropping?
    And! On cable do you get compressed Dolby Digital Plus and dts 5.1 channels audio?

Yeah, how much total every month are you paying towards viewing privileges on your TV? ...Netflix included.
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

Barry, here in igloo country (Canada) I believe that they are more expensive than just a dollar or a dollar and a half.
    And then you need to drive back to the store to return them; that's about ten bucks each trip, thank you very much, plus the time lost being on the road with a bunch of monkeys.

* Are you typing from your smartphone?
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

The Netflix library is deep and broad, supplying me with many films which hold little or no interest for the general public; ie foreign films with subtitles, cerebral etc. On the occasions when I have looked for titles in a Redbox, I find nothing but junk- action, animation, car chases, etc. Much like what finds at the local cineplex. Here's one from Netflix you will never find at Redbox!
    70267830.jpg
    Those Redbox machines; how many Blu-ray movies they hold? ...And someone keeps replacing some titles every week?
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

My cost per BR disc with Netflix is based on how quickly I turn them around. The $15/mo allows two discs out at a time. For us, this means we average about 12 discs per month. This is possible because we live close enough to their distribution center that it is one day in the mail, and 1-2 days on the return. If I put one in the mail on Monday, they get it on Tuesday and immediately mail out the next on in my queue. I then receive it on Wednesday, watch it that evening, and it goes back in the mail, being received by NF on Friday or Saturday and so on. If we don't watch one immediately, that slows the process, and we get fewer for the month, and thus a higher average cost. How quickly your mail service works, and from where they would be mailed, I don't know. Thus, YMMV. In any case, you should visit their website, as it is a terrific resource to look up films or information about any actor, director, etc. Try it for a month, and then you will know. There is no commitment.

Oh, and there are no problems with substandard picture, rez, sound, dropouts etc!
    Tom
    Ultimate Audio
    SoundLab Dealer

Country System:
    3 dedicated AC lines

City System:
    Ayre KX-R Twenty Preamp

That is excellent Tom!

For 36 Blu-ray movies (three months) that you watch and your total cost, for me it costs the same for only one Blu-ray (Disney BD title)!

My guess though is that it isn't the same for everyone because as you just said you are living close to one of their distribution centers.
    But still, even at the very worst, that is a lot of money saving.

That truly stops me on my steps, and makes me rethink my strategy.
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

Question: How many members here download their movies, for free, and illegally?

Number two: How many members here don't bother to post in this thread because they are afraid?

Number three: What is the true price of freedom in the year 2014?
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

Question: How many members here download their movies, for free, and illegally?

Number two: How many members here don't bother to post in this thread because they are afraid?

Number three: What is the true price of freedom in the year 2014?
    1) NA, not here.
    2) NA
    3)?
    Tom
    Ultimate Audio
    SoundLab Dealer

Country System:
    3 dedicated AC lines

City System:
    Ayre KX-R Twenty Preamp

Page 19 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91415161718192021222324 ... LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

What are you watching?