Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Viola Audiolabs

Re: Viola Audiolabs

Vitus RS-100 with my Tad cr-1 Review
    Completed my second four hour session and as recommended left amp for last 4 days. Tried my most favorite most familiar music as well as some classical to give a fair well round trial. Amp is demo unit, runs nice and barely warm even after four days. Very attractive and simple look with a front standbye button on left and a second right button to switch outputs from RCA or Xlr(which I used)
    Music like well recorded Krall, S. Lynne or Boz Scaggs-just beautiful , sounded very nice with no stridency or difficulty producing rich treble or pleasant midrange. Bass was adequate but not as palpable as some other amps I have tried. On Brian Bromberg or electric bass by Marcus Miller just would have preferred more oomph.
    The one somewhat odd quality I noted relates to soundstage width and presentation. I have several recordings both red book and hi-Rez that you can almost see and hear the individual performers. Vocal center, bass left and guitar and drums sort of right of stage. All appear in my listening triangle both with eyes open or shut to b about a 3-4 foot width firmly centered between the speakers with many of the wonderful amps I have demoed. However with this Vitus class AB amp sound appeared to b coming from individual speakers not from that imaginary center area between the speakers. At first i thought
    It was just a very wide sound stage but after putting my old amp back in loop, without touching speaker positions at all , my more favorable soundstage returned. To me a true 3-d holographic soundstage, as if a central wall of sound is coming at you is one of the most desirable qualities I look for. This amp made it feel like music was coming from two individual speakers on most tracks I repeatly listened to. On less well blues tracks, no extra warmth was instilled. Perhaps there class A amps can provide this ..
    I never suffered fatigue while listening but for now, viola symphony is still the finest sound I have heard with my speakers. The rep still thinks I should try the new Viola concerto, as my listening room is not huge. My new tube preamp trial begins in August. Nagra Jazz vs. Zanden 3100. I think these will match very well with whatever solid state amp I end up with.

Nick
    Nick

Main system :TAD CR1 speakers, Viola Labs Symphony amp,Pass XP-20 preamp., MSB Discrete DAC with twin power supplies and V2 Renderer module, Gigafoil V4 inline ethernet filter with uptone LPS-1 power supply with Ghent audio Gotham 2.1mm to 2.5mm cable and AG diamond ethernet cable, Sonicorbitor Roon Audiophile 6 TB network server-player , MG Audio Design Planus III jumpers & speaker cables, Zitron Cobra power cords, Shunyata Hydra AV, and acoustic zen absolute copper IC,. Room treatment ASC tower traps, Vicoustic absorber premium cinema wall and ceiling panels, and MSR acoustic trifusser side wall panel

Nick,

congratulations on the test ... I was participated in a test like this in the house of a friend, we tested Symphony and Vitus 50W Class A, and the Dynaudio Temptation.

On this occasion I had also preferred Symphony.

In your opinion, is the Symphony an upgrade to Viola Forte?

Nice regards,
    Ricardo.
    Ricardo Nonato!!!
    ----------------------
    SOURCE: Esoteric K-03 / Gryphon Kalliope / MacMini
    INTEGRATED: Gryphon Diablo
    SPEAKERS: Gryphon Mojo
    CABLES: Power Cords: Douglas Cables Mirage / Interconnects: Douglas Cables Mirage / Speakers: Douglas Cables Hair Angel / Digital: Douglas Cables Mirage / USB: Light Harmonic

Yes
    More power
    More flexibility if you move to a bigger room
    More headroom and not a huge difference in price
    What did u think of the class A Vitus. Did it Add some warmth to the music.

Nick
    Nick

Main system :TAD CR1 speakers, Viola Labs Symphony amp,Pass XP-20 preamp., MSB Discrete DAC with twin power supplies and V2 Renderer module, Gigafoil V4 inline ethernet filter with uptone LPS-1 power supply with Ghent audio Gotham 2.1mm to 2.5mm cable and AG diamond ethernet cable, Sonicorbitor Roon Audiophile 6 TB network server-player , MG Audio Design Planus III jumpers & speaker cables, Zitron Cobra power cords, Shunyata Hydra AV, and acoustic zen absolute copper IC,. Room treatment ASC tower traps, Vicoustic absorber premium cinema wall and ceiling panels, and MSR acoustic trifusser side wall panel

Nick,

I found the monos Vitus with great dynamics, micro details and an excellent soundstage. I felt the Vitus a little warm yes. But I still prefer the Symphony.

My friend is selling your Symphony, and I'm thinking about buying it and swap my Viola Forte.
    Ricardo Nonato!!!
    ----------------------
    CABLES: Power Cords: Douglas Cables Mirage / Interconnects: Douglas Cables Mirage / Speakers: Douglas Cables Hair Angel / Digital: Douglas Cables Mirage / USB: Light Harmonic

Other than its huge size it's is an outstanding amp in all aspects
    Enjoy!
    Nick
    Nick

Nick,

Thanks so much for posting your impressions! Given all I read about Vitus, I was expecting to hear something a little more positive. But we tell it like it is here at the Shark, so thanks again!

The Viola's sound like the amp to beat. Going to give the Concerto's a try?

Allen

Quote Originally Posted by veindoc View Post
    Other than its huge size it's is an outstanding amp in all aspects
    Enjoy!
    Nick

Thank you.

I will take some pictures of my system and post here.

Nice regards,
    Ricardo Nonato.
    Ricardo Nonato!!!
    ----------------------

Viola Audiolabs

I think perhaps Vitus class A amps r in a more upscale territory. The only review on their aB amps is a single review for the rI-100.
    Nick

Guys,

some photos of an event that happened in last october here in Rio de Janeiro. The marketing director of Elac and Herve of darTZeel were present.

01.JPG02.JPG03.JPG04.JPG
    Ricardo Nonato!!!
    ----------------------

Audioshark

Thanks for sharing. What speakers are those and how did it all sound?
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Super Moderator

Ricardo,

Any updates on when Herve will be announcing his updates to the Dartzeel gear and the new amps? I know Dartzeel time moves slow so I don't expect to see them anytime soon.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Mike,

the speakers are Elac 249 and 509. I like darTZeel, but the combination with Elacs was not good. In my opinion, the problem was the cables and speakers, the sound seemed cold, emotionless. However, very detailed.
    Ricardo Nonato!!!
    ----------------------

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    Ricardo,

Any updates on when Herve will be announcing his updates to the Dartzeel gear and the new amps? I know Dartzeel time moves slow so I don't expect to see them anytime soon.

Joe,

I'm not sure about this, but I learned the darTZeel will launch an integrated cheaper than the CTH-8550 with a DAC.

Do you know of any more amp to be released?
    Ricardo Nonato!!!
    ----------------------

Super Moderator

Yes. I heard Herve plans on introducing mono block amps below the 458 and above the 108. I have no other details.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Excellent information!!!!!!: D
    Ricardo Nonato!!!
    ----------------------

Friends,

some photos of my HT room. In the next time i will post some photos of my stereo system room.

DSC_0004.JPGDSC_0010.JPGDSC_0011.JPGDSC_0012.JPGDSC_0016.JPGDSC_0017.JPGDSC_0033.JPG
    Ricardo Nonato!!!
    ----------------------

Audioshark

Nice room. What Classe product is that?

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

Behavior Moderator (be nice police!)

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo Nonato View Post
    Friends,

some photos of my HT room. In the next time i will post some photos of my stereo system room.

DSC_0004.JPGDSC_0010.JPGDSC_0011.JPGDSC_0012.JPGDSC_0016.JPGDSC_0017.JPGDSC_0033.JPG
    Beautiful room Ricardo !!!
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs XP32......incoming
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    VPI Avenger with Magnetic Drive
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    Ortofon Cadenza Black cartridge
    Kharma Elegance speaker cables
    Kharma Elegance interconnects
    REL Subs

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Nice room. What Classe product is that?

Mike,

thank you... the Classe is a SSP-300 processor!
    Ricardo Nonato!!!
    ----------------------

Quote Originally Posted by MDP View Post
    Beautiful room Ricardo !!!
    Mark,

thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Ricardo Nonato!!!
    ----------------------

Super Moderator

Ricardo,

Very, very beautiful. Thank you for the photos.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Joe,

thank you!!!!
    Ricardo Nonato!!!
    ----------------------

Very nice room, Ricardo! Love the little knick knacks around the room, gives it a lot of character!

Allen

Thanks Allen... I like too... I feel a very pleasant when I'm in the room.
    Ricardo Nonato!!!
    ----------------------

Guys,

Has anyone done an A x B test for Siltech Prince and 770L speaker cables?

Best regards,
    Ricardo Nonato.
    Ricardo Nonato!!!
    ----------------------

Friends,

In your opinion, could play well Viola Forte with the Amati Futura? I have a good opportunity to purchase Amati Futura.
    Ricardo Nonato!!!
    ----------------------

Ricardo,

That combo sounds wonderful to me! My only question would be would the Forte's have enough juice to drive the Futura's when you really want to crank it.

Allen

Super Moderator

Friends,

In your opinion, could play well Viola Forte with the Amati Futura? I have a good opportunity to purchase Amati Futura.
    Ricardo,

I am interested in your opinion of the Futura. That speaker is on my short list of ones I am considering. I really love my Evolutions and I think the Futura would be a logical step up.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Quote Originally Posted by socfan12 View Post
    Ricardo,

That combo sounds wonderful to me! My only question would be would the Forte's have enough juice to drive the Futura's when you really want to crank it.
    That is the question?????

A one year ago I heard the Amati Anniversary with the LS27 and Viola Forte, and the result was very good.

The problem is that right now I can only buy the speakers or the amplifier, not both at the same time.
    Ricardo Nonato!!!
    ----------------------

Joe,

I the Futura!!!!!!

I have two friends who own Amati Futura, and the two setups the result is fantastic. In my opinion, they are very balanced speakers with bass well articulated, and great focus and resolution.

ps. Sorry for my bad english.
    Ricardo Nonato!!!
    ----------------------

Super Moderator

Ricardo,

Please, no need to apologize. Your English is perfect. I fully understand you.

What amps/preamps are your friends using with their Futura speakers.

Joe,

I the Futura!!!!!!

I have two friends who own Amati Futura, and the two setups the result is fantastic. In my opinion, they are very balanced speakers with bass well articulated, and great focus and resolution.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Joe,

thank you for your warmth.

Setup 1: preamp Burmester 808MKV and MC601 mono powers. In this case my friend is waiting for the arrival of 1.2KW and CD Player Einstein The Source.

Setup 2: preamp C1000 solid state and MC601 mono powers.
    Ricardo Nonato!!!
    ----------------------

Audioshark

Joe,

I the Futura!!!!!!

I totally agree!! And the best looking!

Super Moderator

Joe,

thank you for your warmth.

Setup 1: preamp Burmester 808MKV and MC601 mono powers. In this case my friend is waiting for the arrival of 1.2KW and CD Player Einstein The Source.

Setup 2: preamp C1000 solid state and MC601 mono powers.
    Wow! That's interesting. Thank you.

Agreed.

NAD C 658 streamer.

In my opinion, the biggest problem is that I will not have to test the Amati Futura on my system in my room before buying. Although I know well the speakers and know their qualities. Do you think that the Amati Anniversary are harder to play than the Amati Futura?
    Ricardo Nonato!!!
    ----------------------

Mike,

thanks!!!!!

Do you have any consideration about my setup with the Amati Futura? I would like your comments.
    Ricardo Nonato!!!
    ----------------------

Audioshark

In my opinion, the biggest problem is that I will not have to test the Amati Futura on my system in my room before buying. Although I know well the speakers and know their qualities. Do you think that the Amati Anniversary are harder to play than the Amati Futura?
    The Futuras are harder to drive than the Anniversarios. For one, the efficiency (90db vs 92db for the Anniversarios) and the impedance curve of the Futuras.

But - I wouldn't sweat it. I think as long as your amp is north of 150 watts/channel - you should be fine. I would suggest 250+ watts into 4 ohms if you can and it is my personal opinion that the Futuras would sound best with a clean, balanced amp. D'Agostino would be marvelous. ARC too and quite possibly Classe, DartZeel and others.

What I wasn't fond of with the Futuras was the Accuphase. Too much of a good thing - if you know what I mean. The Accuphase Class A topology combined with a warm speaker was too much.

The neutrality and sweetness of the Soulution was incredible on the Futuras.

Since D'Agostino amps are often demoed with the Futura's big brothers (Aida's) - I would suspect that's another great combination.

And personally....I would bet heavily that the Futuras and REF250/DS450M's in a biamp configuration would be incredible.

Lastly, I have seen the Futuras twice in red and once in graphite. They are spectacular in either color. They have a presence about them which is so unlike any other speaker. I just can't explain it. Like when a gorgeous woman walks into the room.

WOW Mike,

thank you so much.

I appreciate your opinion, and I understand perfectly your points. I'm afraid to buy the Amati Futura and get frustrated because of the low power of Viola Forte.
    Ricardo Nonato!!!
    ----------------------

Audioshark

WOW Mike,

thank you so much.

I appreciate your opinion, and I understand perfectly your points. I'm afraid to buy the Amati Futura and get frustrated because of the low power of Viola Forte.
    You're very welcome Ricardo!

Your amps are 150 watts/channel into 4 ohm loads right?

How big is your room?
    How loud do you listen?
    What kind of music do you listen to?

These are all key factors in determining if the amps are powerful enough.

FWIW - I think you'll be fine. Down the road - you can always upgrade/change.

Mike,

yes, 150W into 4ohms.

The measurements of my room: 5,0m x 6,5m.

I listen to music at medium volume, never too high. I like jazz, blues, classical...
    Ricardo Nonato!!!
    ----------------------

Super Moderator

I think you will be fine with those amps Ricardo.

Forte Mono Power Amplifier

The Viola Forte is a compact high quality mono power amplifier developed from the advanced circuitry used in the Viola Symphony, Bravo, and Legacy amplifiers. It is rated at 75W into 8 ohms, or 150W into 4 ohms. 2 units may be bridged to give 300W into 8 ohms, or 550W into 4 ohms. These ratings are conservative. The Forte will comfortably exceed them under most conditions.
    Don’t be deceived by the unit’s compact dimensions. Like its big brothers, the Forte will effortlessly deliver large amounts of power without sacrificing the ability to accurately reproduce the subtle threads in a musical performance. Dynamics reproduced without compression; stereo images re-created with excellent focus, and accurate and well controlled bass, all contribute to portraying the emotion that is the essence of a musical performance. A generously rated choke input power supply allows the Forte to easily drive even difficult speakers.

Forte Mono Power Amplifier Specifications

Output Power 75W per channel into 8 ohms
    20Hz to 20kHz , THD < 0.25%
    150W per channel into 4 ohms
    20Hz to 20kHz , THD < 0.5%
    All power figures quoted are continuous average power
    Inputs 2 x XLR in parallel
    Input Impedance 1M ohm
    Outputs 1 pair of WBT terminals per channel
    Frequency Response 10Hz to 20kHz ± 0.15dB at 1W into 8 ohms
    5Hz to 100kHz -3dB at 1W into 8 ohms
    Power Bandwidth 5Hz to 100kHz +0, -3dB
    Intermodulation Distortion (SMPTE) 1W to 75W into 8 ohms <0.075%
    1W to 150W into 4 ohms <0.1%
    SN Ratio -105dB @ 1kHz 75W, C weighted
    Dimensions 22.5cm W x 11.0cm H x 42.3cm D
    Weights 15.9 kg

NAD C 658 streamer.

Joe,

thank you to the information.

Just out of curiosity, I had put my MC402 HT alongside Viola Forte to do some tests. And to my surprise the Viola Forte sounded better than the 402. It is logical that this test was done with the 25th Dyn, but the impression I had was that the high current of Viola Forte compensate their low power. In this test they remained virtually the same dynamics, air between the instruments and the aeration than 402. And still more refinement.
    Ricardo Nonato!!!
    ----------------------

Super Moderator

Great news. I am sure the Viola amps sound great. I have a dealer after me to try Viola on my TADs. I think he's on to something.

Joe,

thank you to the information.

Just out of curiosity, I had put my MC402 HT alongside Viola Forte to do some tests. And to my surprise the Viola Forte sounded better than the 402. It is logical that this test was done with the 25th Dyn, but the impression I had was that the high current of Viola Forte compensate their low power. In this test they remained virtually the same dynamics, air between the instruments and the aeration than 402. And still more refinement.

NAD C 658 streamer.

In Brazil we have a serious problem with equipment that level, here they cost more than twice around the USA. And Viola here it is almost impossible to find.

I'm very curious to hear D'Agostino, but do not know of any here in Brazil in order to listen. And from what everyone says is an excellent amplifier.
    Ricardo Nonato!!!
    ----------------------

Super Moderator

In Brazil we have a serious problem with equipment that level, here they cost more than twice around the USA. And Viola here it is almost impossible to find.

I'm very curious to hear D'Agostino, but do not know of any here in Brazil in order to listen. And from what everyone says is an excellent amplifier.
    It is excellent but I think it's very important to match speakers and amplifiers. Not every amp works great on every speaker.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    It is excellent but I think it's very important to match speakers and amplifiers. Not every amp works great on every speaker.
    It's true!!!!!
    Ricardo Nonato!!!
    ----------------------

Joe,

I think you will like to see this pic.

Ricardo Nonato!!!
    ----------------------

Super Moderator

Very nice Ricardo. That's the dealer. Very nice.

Joe,

I think you will like to see this pic.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Hi Chr. R.,

Welcome!!!!!!!!!!!
    Ricardo Nonato!!!
    ----------------------

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Viola Audiolabs