PS Audio budget power cord
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

PS Audio budget power cord

I just bought a budget power cord for my DAC. There was a 3.5 meter used PS Audio AC3 power cord for sale on the AC forum and I bought it to replace the stock power cord on my Luxman DAC. The PC on the Lux is of high quality and heavy gauge but I wanted one that has some shielding. We will see if it makes a difference. I will report back in a couple of weeks.
    My Gear- Mains System-Pass X250 amp, BAT VK-51se preamp, Luxman DA-06 DAC, Magnepan 1.6's, Thorens TD-145 TT, Dual Martin Logan Subs, Vintage Luxman T-110 Tuner, Other systems- Parasound A21 amp,Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid tube DAC and Preamp, Magnepan MMG's, Monitor Audio S1's, PSB B6's, Def Tech Pro Monitor 1000's, Velodyne sub, Adcom GFR-700 AVR, Music Hall 25.2 modified CDP, Cables by Cardas Parsec, AQ Columbia DBS 72v, Wire World.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: PS Audio budget power cord

PS Audio never built a 3.5m power cord.

Post Thanks / Like

He may have meant to say 1.5m.

I bought 2 of these earlier in the year fro Audio Advisor for the 1m price.
    PSPWAC3 1.5 PS Audio PerfectWave AC 3 Power Cable 1.5 Meter

I have them on my Pre and Amp. I replaced all PCs in the same time frame so can't say much other than together, they all worked. For the money new, just go with Cullen Golds or better.
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System - Rotel 1072 > VAC CLA1 MKII > Couterpoint NPS-400 > Clearfield Continentals > Synergistic Cables
    Secondary
    - OPPO 93 >
    Hafler 945 Pre-Tuner > Odyssey Stratos > Dynaudio Audience 82s > Tara Labs Cables

Post Thanks / Like

a DAC doesn't need a heavy power cord. Only big amps and receivers need heavy cords.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Speedskater View Post
    a DAC doesn't need a heavy power cord. Only big amps and receivers need heavy cords.
    While that may be true, I know my Lampizator DAC really upped it's performance when I put a large gage KAPLAN HC power cord on it.
    So perhaps it might be the synergy of the two more than the size of the wire.
    My System:
    A trusty old Pioneer PD-65 as a Transport, A MicroRendui, a Merrill Heirloom T.T. as sources. A Lampizator DAC to PAD Cables to a SP-14 Tubed PreAmp, Coincident Frankenstein 300B monoblocks, & or Valvet E-2, Fusion speaker cables, AudioKinesis Zephryn 46 Speakers. pair Rythmik F-12 subs, EP2050, DCCA Furutech and Kaplan Power cables, APC power conditioner, Two dedicated 20Amp power lines. DIY corner traps and Acoustic Geometry Curves for room treatment.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, meant 1.5m cable. Just hooked it up to my BAT preamp tonight and wow! The sound is more vibrant and clear. Now it could be that I am just in a good listening zone tonight but I am stunned at the improvement. I was using an older AQ cable that had a large ferrite on it, maybe it was affecting the sound. I decided not to use the cable on my Luxman DAC. The Luxman cable is a premium cable of heavy gauge (it even says so printed on the cable LOL). I never noticed this before but the Luxman cable has a 3 prong socket that plugs into the 3 prong IEC on the DAC but the plug end is only 2 prong without the ground. Strange.

I will see how the system sounds tomorrow just to make sure that it is because audio stars are aligned tonight.

By the way, I feel that any digital peice of geat can benefit from a cable that has excellent sheilding.
    My Gear- Mains System-Pass X250 amp, BAT VK-51se preamp, Luxman DA-06 DAC, Magnepan 1.6's, Thorens TD-145 TT, Dual Martin Logan Subs, Vintage Luxman T-110 Tuner, Other systems- Parasound A21 amp,Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid tube DAC and Preamp, Magnepan MMG's, Monitor Audio S1's, PSB B6's, Def Tech Pro Monitor 1000's, Velodyne sub, Adcom GFR-700 AVR, Music Hall 25.2 modified CDP, Cables by Cardas Parsec, AQ Columbia DBS 72v, Wire World.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought the PS Audio cables have a removeable ground pin that just screws in. Might this be the case on your cable?
    My System:
    A trusty old Pioneer PD-65 as a Transport, A MicroRendui, a Merrill Heirloom T.T. as sources. A Lampizator DAC to PAD Cables to a SP-14 Tubed PreAmp, Coincident Frankenstein 300B monoblocks, & or Valvet E-2, Fusion speaker cables, AudioKinesis Zephryn 46 Speakers. pair Rythmik F-12 subs, EP2050, DCCA Furutech and Kaplan Power cables, APC power conditioner, Two dedicated 20Amp power lines. DIY corner traps and Acoustic Geometry Curves for room treatment.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mechnutt View Post
    ..I never noticed this before but the Luxman cable has a 3 prong socket that plugs into the 3 prong IEC on the DAC but the plug end is only 2 prong without the ground..
    If you're using a Luxman power cable with a Luxman DAC I wouldn't be too concerned about no earth pin on the PC plug. The DAC is probably double insulated. Have a look at the chassis ID label and see if the double insulated logo is showing there.

9. Thanks Mechnutt thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jadedavid View Post
    I thought the PS Audio cables have a removeable ground pin that just screws in. Might this be the case on your cable?

Yes that is correct, they are removable
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System - Rotel 1072 > VAC CLA1 MKII > Couterpoint NPS-400 > Clearfield Continentals > Synergistic Cables
    Secondary
    - OPPO 93 >
    Hafler 945 Pre-Tuner > Odyssey Stratos > Dynaudio Audience 82s > Tara Labs Cables

11. Thanks jadedavid, Mechnutt thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bigger is not always better. Properly twisted cable can reject noise without a shield. I actually replaced 10 awg Cullen cable to my monoblock amps with a 14awg cable from Found Music. Same dynamics and so forth. The Found Music just removed an uncomfortable edge.

I agree, DAC and music servers are very sensitive to source power. My point, a better lighter gauge cable IMO is better than a larger gauge lower quality cable.
    First Sound Mark3SI preamp, Altec Lansing 1570B modded by Transition Audio Design and myself, Mojo Audio CAT Server running Win Server 2016 AO HQ and Roon, Mojo Audio Mystic 3 DAC, Linear Solution Ethernet Switch, Custom TT with Vertere Arm, Denon 103R Midas with sapphire cantilever line contact diamond, Allnic H1201 phono pre, Pure Audio Project Trio 10 with performance Solen air core chokes and Mundord Supreme oil caps, Power via 10 awg OFC cord from panel to custom distribution strip, Inakustik speaker and interconnect cables, Genesis Interconnect.

13. Likes Mechnutt liked this post

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast