Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

My Select II DAC Journey

My MSB Select II DAC journey began on a Sunday morning at Axpona in April 2017. I arrived at the MSB room first thing in the morning and I had one hour of uninterrupted listening, spinning all of my own CDs and SACDs. The sound I heard that morning was a true revelation. I knew that somehow I needed to have this component in my system.

Fast forward to Summer 2018, the Select II DAC remained right at the top of my wish list. However, I was locked into my digital gear, the very fine sounding Esoteric Grandioso K1 Player and G1 Clock. It wasn’t until I spoke with Mike Bovaird and he offered me a very fair trade-in on my Esoteric gear, that I came to the realization that the Select II DAC would become a reality.

As Mike and I carefully worked through a plan as to what options I would require, it became clear that if I wanted to get a loaded Select II DAC (with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock), I would need to concentrate on just one digital input and that would be the Renderer II input module. However, I had minimal experience with computer audio and knew very little about the Router, NAS and Roon Nucleus Plus I would need to get this show on the road. Mike told me not to worry, just to ship the NAS down to him and he would install the two additional circuit boards I had purchased in the NAS and get it up and running. Once all the components arrived at my house, Mike spent three days and countless hours on the telephone with me working through the Router, NAS and Roon Nucleus Plus configuration and explaining how each of these, along with the Roon software and Tidal music service operated. I have never seen anyone go above and beyond to this degree until everything was working perfectly and I was totally satisfied.

Now I am enjoying the best sound I have ever heard in my listening room by a huge degree. The resolution, layering, imaging, dynamics and wholeness of the music are the best I have ever heard from a source of any type. The sound quality of everything from Redbook CDs to DSD, high resolution and MQA files is simply stunning! There is a lifelike quality to the music that I am unable to put into words. The nearest thing I could compare it to would be listening to Master Reel-To-Reel Tape with the music coming from an entirely black background.

The Roon software is so easy to use with the ability to seamlessly jump back and forth between my stored music files and Tidal. The software is very intuitive and building playlists is a snap. There is also wonderful information about each album, composer, lyricist as well as the lyrics of each song!

So, if you are thinking of going with MSB Technology, I would highly recommend buying from Mike as he knocked down every single barrier until beautiful music was playing in my listening room. If you decide to go with the Renderer and Roon Nucleus Plus or any other configuration, he will get you up and running. Thank you Mike, so greatly appreciated!

Ken
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps; MSB M204 Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

Re: My Select II DAC Journey

Humm.....Mike is so close by.........already fell in love with his Vac gear...salivating for a IQ200......or should I try an Msb entry Dac.....I am happy with my Chord Dave....or get the tubes as an additional sound flavor? Which would you go with?...have a Diablo 300 presently.
    Larry

Lumin U1
    Chord Dave Dac
    Vac Master Preamp
    Vac 200IQ Amp
    Magico S3 Mk2 in Mcast Pewter
    Denali 6000S
    Ansuz and MIT cabling
    Timbernation walnut racks

Finland, that´s somewhere in Northern Europe

Terrific story Ken, thank you. Have heard the Select II twice, just astonishing reality and non-digitality. Unfortunately not in my ballpark, money-wise.

When I break that price point barrier for buying digital Mike will be the only person I go to for a MSB DAC. Maybe next year Mike.....
    Marty

Aurender N20 / SonicTransporter i7 / Roon
    MSB Premier
    Constellation Inspiration Preamp 1.0 / Mono 1.0
    Dynaudio Confidence 50 / SVS SB13 Ultra
    PS Audio Powerplant 15

Quote Originally Posted by Dguitarnut View Post
    Humm.....Mike is so close by.........already fell in love with his Vac gear...salivating for a IQ200......or should I try an Msb entry Dac.....I am happy with my Chord Dave....or get the tubes as an additional sound flavor? Which would you go with?...have a Diablo 300 presently.
    Hi Larry,

In my opinion, the Diablo 300 is so good, you may get more improvement to your system by moving to the Discrete DAC. Of course, best to stop at Suncoast and listen for yourself.

Cheers,
    Ken
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinist View Post

Now I am enjoying the best sound I have ever heard in my listening room by a huge degree. The resolution, layering, imaging, dynamics and wholeness of the music are the best I have ever heard from a source of any type. The sound quality of everything from Redbook CDs to DSD, high resolution and MQA files is simply stunning! There is a lifelike quality to the music that I am unable to put into words.
    Ken
    +1. Revolutionary technology.
    Wadax Reference DAC and Server
    CH Precision L10 PreAmp
    CH Precision M10 Amplifier
    Rockport Orion speakers
    Nordost ODIN 2 speaker cables and interconnects
    StromTank 2500 Power Supply
    Shunyata Sigma QR power cords
    Shunyata Everest power conditioner
    Vicoustics Room Treatments

Quote Originally Posted by Cincy2 View Post
    +1. Revolutionary technology.
    I wholeheartedly agree! The Select II DAC is the source component on some mighty fine systems here on AudioShark. Your D’Agostino Momentum M400 monoblocks and Magico M3’s; Kingsrule’s Nagra HD monoblocks and Magico M6’s; Mike Lavigne’s darTZeel NHB-458 monoblocks and Evolution Acoustics MM7’s; and my (modest in comparison) Vandersteen M7-HPA monoblocks and Model 7 Mk2.

Ken

Ken

Congratulations. If I was willing to spend 6 figures on a DAC the Select II would probably be at the top of my list.
    Jim

D'Agostino Momentum M-400's MxV’s & HD Pre-amp
    Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2 speakers
    Digital: dCS Vivaldi APEX DAC, Clock & Upsampler
    Analog: SME 20/3 with Esoteric E-03 Phono
    Transparent Opus Speaker Cable & Interconnects & Opus Power Cords
    Power Cords on Digital: Shunyata
    Power Conditioner - Shunyata Everest

great read- thanks, Ken. MSB is in a category of its own since the Select was introduced!
    Brinkmann Bardo w/ EMT HSD-006 cart, MSB Reference DAC --> Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL --> Ampzilla 2000, 2nd Edition --> Fyne Audio F1-12

Ken,
    Congrats on the Select II! I see myself moving in this direction as well. The Esoteric gear has treated me well but I loved what I heard with the Ref Dac and can't overlook their modular design that keeps a digital piece relevant for some time. Anyone using the select transport with the select II? I still like cd spinners
    Speaker: Rockport Avior & Mira, B&W 803 D
    Amp: Nagra HD Monos, McIntosh Mc303 & 601
    Pre: Nagra HD pre
    Source: Esoteric K-01X & G-01, Aurender W20
    Cable: Transparent Ref Gen 5 SC & Ref XL PC
    Grounding: Tripoint Elite, Thor SE, Emperor Mkii

Congratulations on the new DAC. I can also attest that Mike goes all out trying to help his clients. Well done to both!

Ken - Congratulations on your Select II! It is definitely at the top of the digital music domain. Buying from Mike is always a pleasure. Enjoy in good health.

Mike

Amplification: MBL 6010D, MBL 9008A Monos
    Analog: Kuzma R, Kuzma 4Point (11”), MSL Ultra Eminent EX
    Phono Pre: Pass XP-27
    Digital: Esoteric N01XD Esoteric K05
    Speakers: MBL 101E MKII
    Subwoofers: REL Carbon Specials
    Conditioner: Shunyata Triton 3
    Power Cables: Shunyata Sigma 1 & 2, Alpha 2, Delta and Venom
    ICs and SCs: Wireworld Platinum 8
    Rack: Artesania Exoteryc

Quote Originally Posted by SuperDave View Post
    Ken,
    Congrats on the Select II! I see myself moving in this direction as well. The Esoteric gear has treated me well but I loved what I heard with the Ref Dac and can't overlook their modular design that keeps a digital piece relevant for some time. Anyone using the select transport with the select II? I still like cd spinners
    Thanks Dave! Mike Bovaird has the Reference Transport to go with his Select II DAC. The only difference between the Select Transport and the Reference Transport is the matching casing. The transport mechanism and all internal components are exactly the same. So, you can save a lot of money by purchasing the Reference Transport, which still looks really fine. I heard the Reference Transport several times with the Select II DAC. It brings the fullest potential out of the Select II DAC as does their new Renderer input module.

Cheers,
    Ken

It’s the middle of the night and I’m listening to Simon & Garfunkel’s Concert in Central Park on the Select II DAC. Just a redbook CD rip but the sound quality is supernatural. Total immersion. I’m magically transported back in time to the Great Lawn. Not getting much sleep lately but I’m enjoying my music more than ever before. It’s become much more of an emotional experience.

Ken

It’s the middle of the night and I’m listening to Simon & Garfunkel’s Concert in Central Park on the Select II DAC. Just a redbook CD rip but the sound quality is supernatural. Total immersion. I’m magically transported back in time to the Great Lawn. Not getting much sleep lately but I’m enjoying my music more than ever before. It’s become much more of an emotional experience.

Ken
    IMHO this is what it is all about.....The music and having the system take you to magical places, emoting old memories, forging new feelings, or just getting you closer to whatever your concept of infinity is.

Congratulations on your journey so far and whatever the future brings.
    Front End: MSB Select II DAC, MSB Reference Transport, Magnum Dynalab MD107T, Aiwa AD-F990
    Amplification: Dan D'Agostino Momentum HD Preamplifier & Momentum M400 MxV Monoblocks, Crown XLS 2502 (x3) (subwoofers)
    Speakers: Scaena La Maitresse Ultime Loudspeaker System
    Cables: Shunyata Aeros Aurora-SP, Shunyata Aeros Aurora-IC, Jungson Golden Dragon
    Power: GigaWatt PC-4 EVO+, GigaWatt LS-2HCEVO, Jungson Pure Power, JPS Labs AC+, Transparent HPPC
    Miscellaneous: ​Bohmer/Legacy Audio Wavelet DSP/Room Correction

Ken
    IMHO “just redbook” is as good as it gets on the SELECT II.

I love my Select II and was an early adopter. One of my first observations about this incredible DAC and which I had many conversations with Vince of MSB was just how much better redbook was than anyone could have ever imagined. Sony belived and maybe still does that redbook was “perfect” and maybe they were right but no dac was capable of reproducing it the way it was meant.

Congrats and enjoy. It’s an amazing DAC and am glad people are getting in on what I was raving about for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Priaptor View Post
    IMHO “just redbook” is as good as it gets on the SELECT II.

I love my Select II and was an early adopter. One of my first observations about this incredible DAC and which I had many conversations with Vince of MSB was just how much better redbook was than anyone could have ever imagined. Sony belived and maybe still does that redbook was “perfect” and maybe they were right but no dac was capable of reproducing it the way it was meant.

Congrats and enjoy. It’s an amazing DAC and am glad people are getting in on what I was raving about for a long time.
    Thanks Priaptor. Yes, redbook is indeed very special on the Select II DAC.

I forgot you on my list of Select II owners on AudioShark. You have CH Precision M1 monoblocks but I can’t remember the speakers.

Best,
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by laynesaddiction View Post
    IMHO this is what it is all about.....The music and having the system take you to magical places, emoting old memories, forging new feelings, or just getting you closer to whatever your concept of infinity is.

Congratulations on your journey so far and whatever the future brings.
    And if you live in Colorado, it's much easier to go to magical places with a little help from mother nature!

Thanks Priaptor. Yes, redbook is indeed very special on the Select II DAC.

I forgot you on my list of Select II owners on AudioShark. You have CH Precision M1 monoblocks but I can’t remember the speakers.

Best,
    Ken
    I have Gobels Epoque Aeon Fine. Just took delivery of them today. Have been using Elliot’s demo until mine were ready. Elliot Goldman aka Bending Wave USA became the US distributor of them as well as a CH dealer. His showroom opens next week.

Great sound.

Next “upgrade” is on Nov 7 when Ch upgrades the M1 to the M1.1 which utilizes new caps.

Enjoy
    Howie

Ken
    What a terrific album . . . And I dreamed I was flying . . . high up above my eyes could clearly see . . . the Statue of Liberty . . . Sailing Away to Sea . . . And I dreamed I was flying

Quote Originally Posted by Priaptor View Post
    I have Gobels Epoque Aeon Fine. Just took delivery of them today. Have been using Elliot’s demo until mine were ready. Elliot Goldman aka Bending Wave USA became the US distributor of them as well as a CH dealer. His showroom opens next week.

Great sound.

Next “upgrade” is on Nov 7 when Ch upgrades the M1 to the M1.1 which utilizes new caps.

Enjoy
    Howie
    Congratulations Howie on your new Gobels speakers! Definitely a big day for you. Also terrific news about the CH Precision M1.1 mono amps. Enjoy that upgrade as well!

Ken

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

My Select II DAC Journey