Low watt (SET) amps with long speaker cables?
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Low watt (SET) amps with long speaker cables?

As I have little experience with single digit and low watt SET amps, whatís the consensus regarding long speaker cables and how long is too long?

For example, my Supernait2 requires 3-4 meters at a minimum and as long as 7+ meters (with 5M being close to optimum) for better sound. I know thatís part of the design and probably not typical.

Other moderate to higher power amps Iíve used, I was never concerned about using up to about 6-7M in my own system with great results. I try and stay around 3M depending on system and configuration.

What do you think is the absolute maximum speaker cable length for 2-4wpc and as much as 10wpc? Are the rules a little different with SET?
    Joe

Luxman MQ-300, JBL 4312SE 70th Anniversary,
    Pass XA25, McIntosh MCLK12, Job INTegrated, Cary 300B SE, JBL 4367, Revel Studio 2, JBL 4312D, Klipsch RP-160M, Klipsch RB-75, KEF LS50, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES, ASL Wave monos, Kimber Kables, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables, Burmester 948, Metric Halo LIO-8, Linear Tube Audio MZ2, Bricasti M1SE, Naim Supernait 2.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Low watt (SET) amps with long speaker cables?

The SuperNait needs 5m of NACA5 cable. Other cables wouldnít fit this requirement for supernait. Ideally speaker cable should be as short as possible. 3m for a Low power SET is okay.

Post Thanks / Like

Btw, what do you think about SuperNait vs Job amplifiers ?

Audioshark
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pani View Post
    The SuperNait needs 5m of NACA5 cable. Other cables wouldnít fit this requirement for supernait. Ideally speaker cable should be as short as possible. 3m for a Low power SET is okay.
    AudioQuest also makes special ďNAIMí cables to be used with NAIM amps. Thatís what Iíve been using with great results.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Audio Research, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Avantgarde Acoustics, Avid HiFi, Ayre Acoustics, Berkeley Audio Design, Bryston, Chord, ClearAudio Turntables & Accessories, Constellation Audio, Esoteric, FirstWatt, Focal Headphones, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Furutech, Gryphon Audio, iFi Audio, ISO Acoustics, JL Audio, KEF Loudspeakers, Kimber Kable, KL Audio Record Cleaning Machines, KR Audio Tube & Amps, Kronos, Lampizator, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MicroMega, MIT Cables, MSB Technologies, Naim Audio, Ortofon, Pass Labs, PS Audio, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables, Roon Labs, Shunyata Research, Siltech, Solid Tech Racks, Sony, SRA, Stein Music, Stillpoints, T+A Electronics, Tannoy Loudspeakers, Transfiguration Cartridges, Trenner & Friedl, Triode Corporation of Japan, VAC, Verity Audio Speakers, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pani View Post
    Btw, what do you think about SuperNait vs Job amplifiers ?
    I absolutely love my Supernait2. Job and Naim are similar in that they have a great open sound, great image placement and sweet vocals. The Job is a little cleaner but not overly so. The Naim is a little thicker with a little more meat on the bone. Depending on speakers, either can shine. I’ve wanted to go up the Naim ladder but along with a hugely expensive outlay, tweaky-ness necessarily increases to maximize performance.

If I had to choose, Naim would be first but I love my Job equally in a different way.
    Joe

Pass XA25, McIntosh MCLK12, Job INTegrated, Cary 300B SE, JBL 4367, Revel Studio 2, JBL 4312D, Klipsch RP-160M, Klipsch RB-75, KEF LS50, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES, ASL Wave monos, Kimber Kables, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables, Burmester 948, Metric Halo LIO-8, Linear Tube Audio MZ2, Bricasti M1SE, Naim Supernait 2.

Post Thanks / Like

With Naim sticking to their own preamp becomes paramount whereas with job you can probably use the ZOTL preamp and add that tube infusion to the sound.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, Naim is more of a system play. You really need to stay within its own ecosystem.
    Joe

Post Thanks / Like

Wait, short, heavy speaker cables are about accurate reproduction. While 'SET' amps are about euphonic reproduction. You might enjoy longer cables more.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    As I have little experience with single digit and low watt SET amps, what’s the consensus regarding long speaker cables and how long is too long?
    Joe, I think it would come down to specifics, like what SET amp connected to what speaker. There are a lot of variations in SET and speaker designs in the world of audiophile exotica, so there won't be any hard/fast rules for series cabling. What is connected at both ends matter. "System".

cheers,

AJ

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you AJ. Makes perfect sense.

Speedskater, I usually don’t like “the truth” or overly critical sounding systems. I’m looking forward to some extra sweetness.
    Joe

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast