Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Thread: $10k Hot Spot

$10k Hot Spot

Can you think of a more competitive price point now than $10k? Just off the top:

Magico A3
    B&W 804 B3
    Revel F228
    Focal Kanta #2
    I believe one of the new Dynaudio Contour

I"m sure you can add others. It just seems $10k is a hotly competitive price point. Does $10k stand out or am I just noticing this due to all of those being relatively new models?
    Aurender ACS10 w/Audioquest Diamond USB, Esoteric N05xd
    Mark Levinson #526, 534 & JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart
    Clarus Concerto & their Crimson cables

HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent, Analysis Plus & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP
    Parasound P6, MBL 8006b, Artisan speakers/subwoofer

Re: $10k Hot Spot

Magnepan MG 3.7i

Vandersteen Treo CT
    Orangutan O/93
    DeVore Fidelity Gibbon Super 9
    focal sopra 1
    Harbeth M30.1
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

Mr. Peabody,

You can say same for 20K price range. Competition is intense. For 10K range, add spendor D9, Aerial Acoustic 7T, Proac D48R

Does Wilson have a $10K contender?

I think the new Tater Tot is in the $10k range

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzie View Post
    Does Wilson have a $10K contender?
    Marty

Aurender N20 / SonicTransporter i7 / Roon
    MSB Premier
    Constellation Inspiration Preamp 1.0 / Mono 1.0
    Dynaudio Confidence 50 / SVS SB13 Ultra
    PS Audio Powerplant 15

It's probably just coincidence that there's a lot of activity at 10k right now. The Revel F228 and Magico A3 have, I think, brought a lot of new attention to that price point.

It also seems that, after letting their prices explode over the last 10-15 years, companies are starting to fill in the gaps.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelZ View Post
    It's probably just coincidence that there's a lot of activity at 10k right now. The Revel F228 and Magico A3 have, I think, brought a lot of new attention to that price point.

It also seems that, after letting their prices explode over the last 10-15 years, companies are starting to fill in the gaps.
    It seems when one company introduce new model in particular price range and found success, other companies follow the same path. They come up with speaker in the same price range to grab a market share. I think at each and every price point(whatever that may be, $5K, $10K, $20K), competition gets intense. Look at 20K price range speakers - KEF Ref. 5, Focal Sopra 3, B&W 802D3, Revel Ultima Salon 2, Dali epicon 8, proac K6.

Also companies have realized that there are so many $40K, $50K speakers they can sell. Seriously, how many people can afford that? When Wilson Sasha 2 price crossed $30K limit, they introduced Yuvette to fill the gap between $20-30K range and Sabrina to below $20K range. It is good strategy to get people into buying botique brands.

Blumenhofer GENUIN FS 3 MK II
    Raidho XT1
    Magico A3
    KEF ??
    Focal Diablo Utopia

Something like this maybe.
    Pre amp: Ocatve Phono Module Power amps: Octave MRE130 Turntable: SAC Girati Grande. Tonearm: Dynavector 507mkII Cartridge: Dynavector Ikeda 9TT Streamer: Aurender A10 Power Distributor: Anzus Mains D8 Speakers: Raidho X-3 Speaker Cables: AudioQuest Rocket 88 XLR Interlink: Ansuz A2, [B]XLR Interlink: [B]Phono interlink: Cammino Serie 1.0 - PH 1.0s Power cables: Anzus Mains Ceramic, two Pom, Aluminium, X series Audio Rack: Rack of Silence 4 and 2.

I'd add the MartinLogan Impression 11A to this list.
    Squeezebox Touch/Bel Canto DAC 3.5VB + Oppo 205 > Conrad Johnson CT5 preamp and Premier 350 amp > Martin Logan Expression 13A's and two ML BF210 subs. Audience Au24e I/C's & speaker cable. Member of the Suncoast Audiophile Society.

Quote Originally Posted by nc42acc View Post
    I think the new Tater Tot is in the $10k range
    Its name is actually Tune Tot
    Flemming

Lumin X1
    Rotel Michi S5
    Focus Audio FS788

Inter connect : Nordost Tyr 2 ( 2 Meter )
    LS cable : Yter
    Power Cables : Nordost Frey 2 ( 2 Meter )
    Nordost QB8
    Fibercable for feeding the Lumin X1
    Rack : Finite Elemente Pagode

Quote Originally Posted by ben View Post
    Also companies have realized that there are so many $40K, $50K speakers they can sell. Seriously, how many people can afford that? When Wilson Sasha 2 price crossed $30K limit, they introduced Yuvette to fill the gap between $20-30K range and Sabrina to below $20K range. It is good strategy to get people into buying botique brands.
    I know that, with my income, I will never be able to afford a $30,000 speaker. For me, $5k is reasonable (but still expensive!), and $10-15k is the aspiration range that maybe I'll be able to swing once the kids get through college. So any increased activity in that range makes me very, very happy.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelZ View Post
    I know that, with my income, I will never be able to afford a $30,000 speaker. For me, $5k is reasonable (but still expensive!), and $10-15k is the aspiration range that maybe I'll be able to swing once the kids get through college. So any increased activity in that range makes me very, very happy.
    Even I though I'm single, currently can't afford expensive gears. May be someday. Last night I had a dream of having Vandersteen 7 MK II, Wilson Alexia 2 and Big Avalons along with Big Audio Research gears in dedicated audio room

Tune, Tater, anything that cost $10k shouldn't be a Tot, LOL How about a Tune Tater?

Quote Originally Posted by FDPDK View Post

SVS PC13 Ultra
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    Tune, Tater, anything that cost $10k shouldn't be a Tot
    I couldn't agree more!

Just purchased the new Magico A3, blown away by how good a $10K speaker can sound. I paid more that that for a pair of Martin Logan Summits in 2007.

These realistic price points mat attract more to the hobby. When I tell my non-audio geek friends the price point of some gear, they think anyone who'd pay that is crazy ... probably some truth to that!

Super Moderator

Congratulations!

Welcome to the forum, thank you for joining.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyl Lives View Post
    Just purchased the new Magico A3, blown away by how good a $10K speaker can sound. I paid more that that for a pair of Martin Logan Summits in 2007.

These realistic price points mat attract more to the hobby. When I tell my non-audio geek friends the price point of some gear, they think anyone who'd pay that is crazy ... probably some truth to that!
    Vinyl Lives, Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the forum. Are you in possession of the speakers or on a waiting list?

Audioshark

Congrats! This is why I’m now ordering them in bunches, typically three or four pairs at a time. Right now the wait is about 6 months. By ordering stock, I can help customers stay a little ahead of the wait. Woot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

And have only listened to them through youtube , but they for sure seems interesting. If the price or name is what one would like or expect is another thing.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgPorJrzTsQ
    I find them interesting but also agree that the price seem steep.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    Tune, Tater, anything that cost $10k shouldn't be a Tot, LOL How about a Tune Tater?
    Flemming

Lumin X1
    Rotel Michi S5
    Focus Audio FS788

Inter connect : Nordost Tyr 2 ( 2 Meter )
    LS cable : Yter
    Power Cables : Nordost Frey 2 ( 2 Meter )
    Nordost QB8
    Fibercable for feeding the Lumin X1
    Rack : Finite Elemente Pagode

Quote Originally Posted by FDPDK View Post
    I like Tater Tot better!
    George
    -----------------------

Aurender ACS10 Music Server > Holo Audio May KTE R2R Ladder DAC > Pass Labs XP-30 Preamp > Pass Labs XA160.5 Class A Mono Blocks > Martin Logan Renaissance ELS 15A Speakers

Powered By 2X BPT 3.5 Signature Plus Ultra Isolators | Shunyata Research Hydra Triton + Typhon | Shunyata Hydra 2 Power Conditioner

Attached Images Attached Images
    Marty

Aurender N20 / SonicTransporter i7 / Roon
    MSB Premier
    Constellation Inspiration Preamp 1.0 / Mono 1.0
    Dynaudio Confidence 50 / SVS SB13 Ultra
    PS Audio Powerplant 15

Had them now about three weeks & they are breaking in nicely - I'm impressed!

Have a pair of REL's on order to help with the low end, can't wait to hear them together.

I am also presently in the $10k market. I have been for two years. Unfortunately after two years the $10k market is now the $15k market. Regardless of how many dealers deny it. Am interested in what others have to say about what is available in this range. Is there any real difference between a $10k speaker and a $20k speaker ? Except for the greater reduction in the bank account I don’t see any.
    == Joe ==

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph R. View Post
    Is there any real difference between a $10k speaker and a $20k speaker ? Except for the greater reduction in the bank account I don’t see any.
    I guess the question is...do you hear any...

Why go "shopping" based on price anyway...
    Do not ask price & ignore price completely...
    Why not find a pair of speakers you really love the sound of...
    Then work out a way to obtain them...

Quote Originally Posted by Rob181 View Post
    I guess the question is...do you hear any...

Why go "shopping" based on price anyway...
    Do not ask price & ignore price completely...
    Why not find a pair of speakers you really love the sound of...
    Then work out a way to obtain them...
    The answer to the first question is generally “no”. The answer to the second question is a bit more complicated. Because shopping for a YG Anat or for an Advant Garde Trio is a waste of time. If the only way to “work out a way” is to break into Fort Knox, I’ll pass.
    == Joe ==

The answer to the first question is generally “no”. The answer to the second question is a bit more complicated. Because shopping for a YG Anat or for an Advant Garde Trio is a waste of time. If the only way to “work out a way” is to break into Fort Knox, I’ll pass.
    Me thinks you have missed the point...
    If you listen to something in a negative head space...
    You will NOT hear on positives...

Secondly both YG & AG speakers have a "house" sound...
    If you like the "house" sound there are other - less expensive models...
    Or a variant that is a couple of years old - at a fraction of Retail...

Had them now about three weeks & they are breaking in nicely - I'm impressed!

Have a pair of REL's on order to help with the low end, can't wait to hear them together.
    You are very lucky to get yours so quickly. Why the RELs? Are you using the A3s for home theater?

I am also presently in the $10k market. I have been for two years. Unfortunately after two years the $10k market is now the $15k market. Regardless of how many dealers deny it. Am interested in what others have to say about what is available in this range. Is there any real difference between a $10k speaker and a $20k speaker ? Except for the greater reduction in the bank account I don’t see any.
    I mean, we've mentioned new speakers in the $10k bracket, like the Magico A3 and the Revel F228Be. So there are speakers in that range.

As for whether a $20k speaker is twice as good as a $10k speaker? Frankly, it isn't (imo at least). You're well into the law of diminishing returns at that point. Whether that incremental increase in performance is worth the extra cost is a value judgment that has to be made by the individual purchaser.

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by Audioseduction View Post
    I like Tater Tot better!
    I would say what I really think, but I best bite my tongue on this one.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzie View Post
    You are very lucky to get yours so quickly. Why the RELs? Are you using the A3s for home theater?
    No for music only. I like a little more weight to my music than any 7” woofer can provide.
    Also, IMO the sub actually adds more to the mid / high ranges, I had two Martin Logan Descent I’s before, and enjoy the slam of a live performance.

Pretty soon 10K will be desk tops only

What are you replacing ..? New or used 10K Budget ..

Quote Originally Posted by a.wayne View Post
    Pretty soon 10K will be desk tops only
    You certainly said a mouthful brother. Agree.

Attempting to upgrade a one-off pair of Shahinian prototypes. No easy task. Pretty much given up.
    == Joe ==

I just replaced my AUD$78k speakers with AUD$5000 as in loaners with the wait for my speakers to arrive. I almost thought I had it....I was listening to a box!!!! So now I wait for my new speakers & realise the closest I thought I could get to the best was smoke & mirrors,... didn't quite keep my attention let alone hold it for any manner of decent time. Always listen for yourself & remember the warm fuzzy trigger that makes you swoon when you hear a system that to your ears that just gives!!

I think the Pure Audio Project speakers will blow away a lot of contenders here. So will many brand and models that are not the flavour of the month. Speaker design is not really an advancing art, except for maybe DSP/DRC applications.

https://www.pureaudioproject.com/pro...ffle-speakers/
    NORMAN
    Custom PC with Memory Player Software Suite/ Modded Denon CD transport>Lampi GG1 (and sometimes PACIFIC) DHT tube Dac> Rowen 850W Isolating Transformer/ Rowen SS Preamp and PA1 monoblocs/Lampi Silk power cond. with Phase flipper> Heil AMT KITHARA & Syrinx in parallel hookup. Swiss cables (Reference line) for PC/interconnects and speaker cables. Goldmund Sweetcord PC. FTA Callisto unpowered USB cable. Basic analog: vintage Lenco L78 TT with Rowen mat, Denon MM cart, iFi iPhono2 with 15v Hynes SR3 LPSU. Synology 12 TB NAS. 2nd system:KenWin Bluetooth speaker 3rd system TBI Millemnium amp with Aulos speakers and SB Duo hookup.

Not that some aren't trying. Seems to be more open baffle type speakers these days, Line arrays and the Gobel seem to be unique.

Quote Originally Posted by wisnon View Post
    I think the Pure Audio Project speakers will blow away a lot of contenders here. So will many brand and models that are not the flavour of the month. Speaker design is not really an advancing art, except for maybe DSP/DRC applications.

https://www.pureaudioproject.com/pro...ffle-speakers/

SVS PC13 Ultra
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP

Another option to the PAP speakers in the same price range also utilizing the AMT if you don't want to do the assembly yourself.

http://www.spatialaudio.us/x2-modular
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

I am looking in this price range as well. Considering the Magico A3, Joseph Audio Perspective and the Spendor D9's. Hard choice!

I set my $10k limit new or used and I listened to the f228be, persona3f, contour 60, f208, kanta2, and then bought a pair of Salon2's very slightly used and went a little over budget, started looking for advice on amp's and placement and was startled at the disregard for decent amplification many of these owners had! A $22k pair of speakers connected to an emotiva amp! yamaha ht receiver!! unless there's an upgrade plan I doubt the salon2 would sound better than an f208 connected to an emotiva.
    KEF Blade, Mc-611's, C49 rega jupiter, roon nucleus, revox tuner. Meridian dsp8000 se upgrade, meridian 218 zone controller VA Beethoven's, Hegel h360.

Quote Originally Posted by steve59 View Post
    I set my $10k limit new or used and I listened to the f228be, persona3f, contour 60, f208, kanta2, and then bought a pair of Salon2's very slightly used and went a little over budget, started looking for advice on amp's and placement and was startled at the disregard for decent amplification many of these owners had! A $22k pair of speakers connected to an emotiva amp! yamaha ht receiver!! unless there's an upgrade plan I doubt the salon2 would sound better than an f208 connected to an emotiva.
    Steve59,

Heard those salons need some serious juice to make them sing. If not seperate then may be good quality used integrated would do nice job with those power hungry speakers.

Thanks Ben, I actually preferred the C60 of all the $10k speakers I heard, but they were connected to Dan D momentum amps. I owned a pair of kef R105/3 bought new and it took me years to find,afford, amplification that made them sing. Affordable power is much better now then it was 25 years ago, but that magic that happens when speakers and amps are matched is still real and makes threads like this one incomplete. Somebody posted a thread suggesting amplification is more important than speakers and $10k is probably where component matching starts paying off.
    KEF Blade, Mc-611's, C49 rega jupiter, roon nucleus, revox tuner. Meridian dsp8000 se upgrade, meridian 218 zone controller VA Beethoven's, Hegel h360.

Quote Originally Posted by steve59 View Post
    Thanks Ben, I actually preferred the C60 of all the $10k speakers I heard, but they were connected to Dan D momentum amps. I owned a pair of kef R105/3 bought new and it took me years to find,afford, amplification that made them sing. Affordable power is much better now then it was 25 years ago, but that magic that happens when speakers and amps are matched is still real and makes threads like this one incomplete. Somebody posted a thread suggesting amplification is more important than speakers and $10k is probably where component matching starts paying off.
    I see you own Hegel h360. Have you tried your salons with it? how's the result?

I haven't heard the Salons with Hegel. I have heard the Revel 228's with the 360 & 590, seems Revel and Hegel do have a good synergy.

I've had the 360 on my JBL, seems like a strong amp, never a waver at high volumes.

SVS PC13 Ultra
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP

I actually bought it for the Salon1's as the H360 really opened up the mids and low treble on those speakers. With the Salon2s I've only used the h360 with them so have no comparison in the same room. The best sound in my listening room yet! Bass detail and piano really make listeners pay attention and I love the imaging and detail the combination deliver tho' getting placement took time. I did activate the H 360 thermal protection after about 40 minutes of red hot chili peppers with the volume turned way up but they played cleanly thru it and the amp was working normally after a half hour cool down.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

k Hot Spot