Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
    Super Moderator

DHT (directly heated triode) preamps - who makes them?

I think Vinnie Rossi makes one, can you recommend others? They are supposed to be wonderfully musical.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Re: DHT (directly heated triode) preamps - who makes them?

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    I think Vinnie Rossi makes one, can you recommend others? They are supposed to be wonderfully musical.
    Allnic - but while I like their 3000 and 5000 phono, and their A5000 amp is also musical, I do not like their L5000 DHT pre. We tried a Soulution 720 instead of a L5000 between the Allnic phono and the power amp, and the Soulution was much better. Another friend replaced his L5000 with a NAT Magnetostat (which I know well) and he preferred the NAT, sold on the Allnic. His phono was the Allnic 5000 and the power amp was the Alieno OTL. The pre while trying to be beautiful gives up on drive, dynamics, space, separating all the nuances of opera or orchestra. I think their phono is the best of the line and is seriously good, once the recti is rolled. I would like to listen to the new push pull m3000 mk2 from Allnic.

Joe, Vinnie's DHT is supposed to be awesome but expensive, around $10K or so. Lots of info on the Audiocircles forum.
    My Gear- Mains System-Pass X250 amp, BAT VK-51se preamp, Luxman DA-06 DAC, Magnepan 1.6's, Thorens TD-145 TT, Dual Martin Logan Subs, Vintage Luxman T-110 Tuner, Cables-WW Platinum 7 USB, Cardas Parsec XLR, AQ Columbia DBS 72v XLR, Belden 8402 XLR.

Super Moderator

I fell in love with the Rossi gear on Voltis several years ago. That may have been before the DHT series of preamps. I think a basic setup starts around $8800 but that could have been an old reference to price. DHT seems to be getting more attention these days.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Have a look at First Sound Audio... http://www.firstsoundaudio.com/

Joe

There is a loaded unit for sale on AC for $6900. The amp module should be enough for the 4367's. You can just the DHT pre otherwise.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Thomas Mayer makes one
    Coincident linestage is dht and is amazing
    Another small outfit known as Lyrita Audio makes dht preamp and sounds very good too

Confirm the Coincident linestage is amazing...
    I have heard it through a Gryphon Antileon I owned...
    The sound was stunning...

Super Moderator

Coincident appears to make great gear as well. Both the Statement preamp and the 300b amp are favorites.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Bottlehead sells a 300B DHT preamp kit that is excellent.
    Analog source: AMG Viella 12; Ortofon Anna cartridge, van den Hul Crimson Stradivarius XGW
    Digital source: Totaldac d1-twelve Mk2 DAC, Totaldac d1-player, Totaldac d1-streamer, Totaldac Live Power supply
    Pre amp: VAC Master with phono
    Phonostage: ​Constellation Andromeda
    Amps: VAC 200iQ monoblocks
    Speakers: Magico M3 with MPods
    Cables: Synergistic Research Galileo SX speaker, phono, analog and digital interconnects
    Power products: Synergistic Research Galileo PowerCell SX and Transporter Ultra. Galileo SX and SRX power cords. Keces P3 LPS for cable modem and router.

Audioshark

Viva. 2A3’s.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

If you would like one made to your specification get in touch with Radu Tarta - https://simplepleasuretubeamps.wordpress.com/

He made my 4P1L Preamp and the sound is wonderful. I know he has made couple of preamp's which was switchable similar to Vinnie Rossie's preamp. He is located in Norwalk, CT.

Super Moderator

Thank you for the link!

NAD C 658 streamer.

Joe,

Someone is selling the Vinnie Rossi DHT Integrated on Audio Circle.

Super Moderator

Thanks! I think Jack pointed that out. Looks like a great deal. Even has an amp inside? I wasn't expecting to get something so quickly. I'll have to contact the guy and ask some questions.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Joe

That one is fully loaded including DAC, Phono and Amp modules all of which can be removed and sold separately if you don't need them. Or you could just remove them to eliminate any possible extra noise. Should be great with any of the JBL's and for low level listening might be just fine with the Studio 2's.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Super Moderator

Actually the amp module might be nice. I sent a pm with a few questions. I'm tdinut on AC.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Joe

The one shadowlight linked is the second one just listed today. The one I linked has been up a while and is loaded. The one today is just amp and preamp so contact them both.

Allnic Joe.
    Last edited by joeinid; October 1, 2018 at 10:18 PM.
    Paul

LS: Vienna Acoustics Klimt "The Music"
    PowerAmp: Nagra VPA
    PreAmp: Tobian Soundsystems SC12
    DAC: LampizatOr Horizon
    Server: LDMS Maximus Music Server
    CDT: CH Precison D1
    Switch: Edison Creation Silent OCXO Extreme, FiberBox
    Power: LampizatOr Kraftwerk 10
    Cabling: Signal Projects loom

Super Moderator

NAD C 658 streamer.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    Allnic Joe.

What model is that Paul?

NAD C 658 streamer.

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    What model is that Paul?
    http://allnicaudio.com/?page_id=1030
    Paul

My LIO friend tried the DHT upgrade and returned back to the normal AVC tube output stage. YMMV.

The Manley DHT preamp has been in production for 20 years or so?
    Brinkmann Bardo w/ EMT HSD-006 cart, MSB Reference DAC --> Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL --> Ampzilla 2000, 2nd Edition --> Fyne Audio F1-12

Super Moderator

Thank you Keith. I’m a little confused at this point. I want to try and borrow something before I commit. I’ll start to narrow down a few and post for everyone’s thoughts. Maybe it doesn’t necessarily have to be DHT but I’m seeing a trend where people are going out of their way to get DHT preamps.

NAD C 658 streamer.

I have the coincident on home demo at the moment. it's stunning but not the quietest pre out there. I heard the Mayer today and was very impressed.

Super Moderator

Thank you.

I NEED quiet. Hmmm. Very interesting.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Joe, have you considered a custom Don Sachs tube preamp? You can have one built with Deulund or Jupiter caps and Khozmo stepped attenuater. His preamps are supposed to be awesome.
    My Gear- Mains System-Pass X250 amp, BAT VK-51se preamp, Luxman DA-06 DAC, Magnepan 1.6's, Thorens TD-145 TT, Dual Martin Logan Subs, Vintage Luxman T-110 Tuner, Cables-WW Platinum 7 USB, Cardas Parsec XLR, AQ Columbia DBS 72v XLR, Belden 8402 XLR.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Mechnutt View Post
    Joe, have you considered a custom Don Sachs tube preamp? You can have one built with Deulund or Jupiter caps and Khozmo stepped attenuater. His preamps are supposed to be awesome.
    I have, many times. Don makes great gear, according to his customers.

I am also thinking again about Keith Herron's 360 preamp. Low/high gain switch with tube biasing. I respect Keith's gear as well.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Joe

Keith's combo of the 360 and the M2 mono's looks like an interesting combo to try.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Joe

Keith's combo of the 360 and the M2 mono's looks like an interesting combo to try.
    I think so too.

NAD C 658 streamer.

I know this thread is a couple weeks old, but wanted to know what you think. I believe that my Dennis Had Dragon Inspire might qualify here. The one I have has the pre-amp outs on it. It is suppose to be a fantastic very back to basic pre-amp. It certainly is an amazing headphone amp.

At some point I am thinking about running it out to the McIntosh to see. It would be a basic configuration; no sub, no bi-amping.

Thoughts?
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Super Moderator

Could be awesome Randy. I’m using my Linear Tube Audio MZ2 as a preamp these days and I have to say that I am more than happy with its performance.

Now I’m considering the upgraded LTA model, even though it’s not a DHT preamp. I have a short list of about 5 preamps that I’m thinking about and interested in trying/buying. Maybe one or two are DHT.

Ps, I love Dennis Had gear and am sure what you have is great.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Thanks Joe... so what is your short list .....

I am seriously thinking about trying it... Just wish it had more than one output (to be able to use the subwoofer also). Even though it is SE I am not too worried about that even though my two best interconnects are XLR.

Also, the bi-amping is working very well with the ARC. I love having three outputs for both amps and the sub, but curious about how the Had would work as a pre... I know it is DHT and it works superbly as my headphone amp.

I actually did try the DAC direct to amps at one point and like the sound better going through the pre-amp... but always thinking about different configurations to try...

One of the things that I love about the Dennis Had Dragon is that they are hand built and he literally signs each one on the bottom, with the production date! Here is from their website:

"Each amplifier is hand-built with point to point wiring by Dennis Had himself. Each amplifier is hand signed by him on the bottom plate. Dennis considers this his form of art. Each amp is like a newly sculpted masterpiece.He personally listens to each amplifier, both in the shop listening room and his home listening room, before it is shipped out."
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

So I decided to try the Dennis Had as a preamplifier. So no bi-amping, no subwoofer, SE cables only. My best cables are XLR . For now I hooked it using only the classic McIntosh amp.

Well, it took about 20-30 minutes for the Had to warm up... then... oh my....so musical. I am so impressed that I pulled the ARC, subwoofer and all the assortment of cables out and am just running a much more basic setup. But dam, the system has never sound so inviting, musical. Not as powerful, maybe not as dynamic, certainly not as bone rattling bass... but oh so open, natural, just plain musical. Imaging is out of this world.

So now I got to decide moving forward. Maybe selling off a few items, selling/trading cables, etc. We will see, but after a couple hours I am thoroughly impressed.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Super Moderator

That’s what it’s all about. The simpler setup to me, and the way you describe it, is what I look for in my system. You could possibly ask Dennis to add an extra pair of outputs for the subs.

NAD C 658 streamer.

I have tried back and forth with the ARC pre-amp, subwoofer, bi-amping and better XLR cables, versus the basic setup using the Dennis Had unit as the DHT pre-amp and the classic McIntosh amplifier.

I also talked at length with my friend who runs our local audio club. His point of view was that a DHT unit might be a bit less flexible with various types of music and knowing I do listen to classic rock also at times... his other point was that I can switch whenever my mood wants.

I just put the Had unit back as the controller and really do love the sound. I do also see his point because more acoustic music and vocals do definitely shine, while rock music may not have the full punch. My view is that the most important serious listening definitely shines with the DHT.

Been thinking about maybe looking into SET amps and going full bore musically inclined emphasis... I guess it is nice having the option .

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

As an update, I bought the Mayer and dropped it into my system on Sunday, replacing the Coincident. In short, it is stunning. Whisper quiet, great soundstaging, detail, transparency, natural timbre. To date, the best pre I've heard in my system has been the CH Precision L1 and my sense is that the Mayer is as good if not better, certainly in some areas. I get the L1 back next month, along with the X1 power supply so I'll know for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by heihei View Post
    As an update, I bought the Mayer and dropped it into my system on Sunday, replacing the Coincident. In short, it is stunning. Whisper quiet, great soundstaging, detail, transparency, natural timbre. To date, the best pre I've heard in my system has been the CH Precision L1 and my sense is that the Mayer is as good if not better, certainly in some areas. I get the L1 back next month, along with the X1 power supply so I'll know for sure!
    Those are phenomenal devices. Congrats on the purchase!
    LS: Vienna Acoustics Klimt "The Music"
    PowerAmp: Nagra VPA
    PreAmp: Tobian Soundsystems SC12
    DAC: LampizatOr Horizon
    Server: LDMS Maximus Music Server
    CDT: CH Precison D1
    Switch: Edison Creation Silent OCXO Extreme, FiberBox
    Power: LampizatOr Kraftwerk 10
    Cabling: Signal Projects loom

Quote Originally Posted by heihei View Post
    Any update on the comparison between these two?

The WBA Blazebird pre uses 2A3 tubes

Super Moderator

I think that these are not DHT preamps but my GAT2 and more importantly, my Misho Wooden preamp are just outstanding. I especially love my Misho preamp and if I had to pick only one, this would be it. No nonsense and solid design. Sounds beautiful with the quietness, depth and layering of the best and super reasonably priced especially compared to my GAT2. Tube life up to 10K hours - holy cow how can you beat that?

NAD C 658 streamer.

malvern audio research are getting into making these with Ming da

Following the successful launch of the 211 Mono blocks, Mark is now working on a matching DHT(Directly Heated Triode) Pre- amplifier to compliment them. His aim from the very begining has always been to design artisan valve based products for the 21st century.

https://www.hifirehab.com/post/audio...88?trail=30#19
    1]bel canto EIX/ F5 monoblocks . BC cd2, tannoy eaton legacy 2]bel canto pre 5 ,arcam a85 , black ice modded dac
    modded dac , marantz sa8005, Verity audio Rienzi

Hi Phil, I compared his power amp with thoress hybrids and silvercore 833c on the horns Universum. His was better. His then preamp for 2k was better than the thoress even with the thoress power amp. His new one with 101d I am really looking forward to hear.

We also compared various 211 valves in his amp. KR, Psvane, RCA, GE, and Amperex. The amperex just killed everything else but they are too rare and impossible to get.

Very intriguing preamp: http://www.audiodetail.com/valve-pre-amps-malvern.html
    Thanks for calling attention to these.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

DHT (directly heated triode) preamps - who makes them?