Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Thread: D2 or U1 Mini

D2 or U1 Mini

I currently am using a Bluesound Node2 streamer and do enjoy some tracks through MQA. I recently purchased a Bryston BDA 3 Dac and I'm not sure if I should purchase the U1 and not have the final rendering done or purchase the D2?

I am primarily using Tidal and may think about downloading Hi Res files in the future.

Option 1: I keep my BDA and use it on Hi Res files in the future and plug my CD player into it.
    Option 2: I get rid of the BDA and buy the D2 or even maybe the T1.

Would a better sounding DAC without MQA rendering give you better results then all in one D2?

System:
    Bryston 4b3
    Rogue Audio RP5 Pre-amp
    Bryston BDA 3 Dac
    Bluesound Node 2
    Marantz 6005 CD Player
    Goldnote PH10 and PSU Phono Pre-amp
    Acoustic Solid/ Solid Wood Table with Dynavector 20x2 Cartridge
    XLO Signature and BIS Maestro Cables

Thanks for your comments!

Super Moderator

Re: D2 or U1 Mini

Welcome to the forum, thank you for joining.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Welcome! If you're happy with the DAC, you could get the U1 mini. It (the mini) is $300 less than the D2. I'm all file playback (I have transports in most of the systems if someone comes over and plays a disc). If disc playing is going to be going on for a bit, then you're probably better off with a separate DAC.
    Main System - Lumin U2, Modwright LS36.5 DM Preamp, VTV Purifi 1ET-7040SA with tube buffer, EMM Labs DAC 2X (ver. 2), Torus RM-20, Thiel CS 3.7s, 2 Rel S/812 subs
    Back-up 1 - Premium Audio mini Gan Amp, Oppo 103D, 2 Richard Gray cond, Selah SA-2s, Sumiko S5 sub, Teac UD-503 DAC, Carver (modded) C-9
    Back-up 2 - Onkyo TX-NR797, Panasonic DP-UB820, Vansevers cond, B&W P6s, PowerSoundAudio S1500 sub

Thanks Phil! I appreciate your comments. I would like to start getting into more file playback but would need to set up some sort of NAS drive.

Super Moderator

I’m going with the U1 mini so I can use a variety of dacs.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

What are your thoughts about MQA? Have you heard it hooked up to a non-MQA dac?

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Cipper View Post
    What are your thoughts about MQA? Have you heard it hooked up to a non-MQA dac?
    I love MQA but not everyone will agree. If I remember correctly with the original U1, you are able to get the first unfold up 24/96 but my memory is a little foggy. With the D2 and other Lumins, you will get full MQA unfolding up to the maximum built into the file. The D2 and others is attractive because it’s an awesome all in one solution that sounds great. I like the flexibility of the U1 allowing me to use any dac but I think you sacrifice a little MQA resolution. Either way both are wonderful because no computer is needed, they offer frequent updates and have supported their products from day one. Few other manufacturers can claim that kind of record.

NAD C 658 streamer.

If you like blues, jazz, world music, and especially classical, I'd say: go with the U1 mini, keep your Bryston DAC and stream Qobuz as soon it is available in the US.
    I use Tidal and Qobuz.
    Qobuz has much more choice in all the styles I mentioned, but my mild OCD state tells me to keep Tidal as well, because some of its albums are not on Qobuz.
    Vivid Audio - Burmester - Hegel - Marantz - Oppo - Pioneer 60" - Wireworld

I mainly listen to Jazz, Classical,World and some Independent music. I'm sure one day Qobuz will be available for us and will more than likely subscribe to that as well. Cheers Bart and thanks for your thoughts!

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    I love MQA but not everyone will agree. If I remember correctly with the original U1, you are able to get the first unfold up 24/96 but my memory is a little foggy. With the D2 and other Lumins, you will get full MQA unfolding up to the maximum built into the file. The D2 and others is attractive because it’s an awesome all in one solution that sounds great. I like the flexibility of the U1 allowing me to use any dac but I think you sacrifice a little MQA resolution. Either way both are wonderful because no computer is needed, they offer frequent updates and have supported their products from day one. Few other manufacturers can claim that kind of record.
    Joe - You are correct that the U1 and new U1 Mini will provide the first unfold of MQA (also known as MQA Core) which typically gets you to 24/88 or 24/96. Then if you connect a DAC which can provide MQA rendering (the second unfold) or full MQA decoding you would get full MQA resolution. Other Lumin products which include an onboard DAC give you full MQA decoding from their analog outputs.

Wondering... the Lumin D2 has the option to bypass the internal Dac and use an external one still providing the first unfold. So, can I use both analogue and digital outs hooked up at the same time and use the settings in the Lumin to have the option of using full MQA and switch to using the BDA 3? If so, then would I be correct in saying the U1 Mini would bring a better resolution then the D2 in non MQA mode?

Yes you can have them both connected at the same time. Peter recommends toggling the digital ouput off in App when not in use. The only output on the Mini likely to sound better than the coax on the D2 is the AES\EBU.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

I have heard that the AES\EBU does give a better performance. As with anything there has to be some compromise. Thanks Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by Cipper View Post
    Wondering... the Lumin D2 has the option to bypass the internal Dac and use an external one still providing the first unfold. So, can I use both analogue and digital outs hooked up at the same time and use the settings in the Lumin to have the option of using full MQA and switch to using the BDA 3? If so, then would I be correct in saying the U1 Mini would bring a better resolution then the D2 in non MQA mode?
    Yes, Lumin D2 (and any Lumin player with analog outputs) can be chosen to output fully decoded (renderered) MQA to analog output, or the MQA Core (first unfold) to SPDIF to another DAC. In case of MQA or DSD, these outputs are not active simultaneously - but you may switch between analog or SPDIF to do some A/B comparison if you want to.

If you have a chance to listen to D2, see if you like it. If you like how your DAC sounds, get the U1 MINI. You'll have AES and USB outputs - see which sounds better in your setup. As a network transport U1 MINI is better than the D2.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Thanks Peter, from what I understand I will be able to have both analog and SPDIF connected but have to use the application software to change the setting to do an A/B comparison... right? Or do I have to physically plug and unplug the connections?

In case of Lumin D2 / D1 / T1 / A1 / S1:
    - PCM will be output to both analog and SPDIF (note: X1 is different)
    - DSD will be output to either analog or SPDIF
    - MQA will be output to either analog or SPDIF

Selection of output is based on app setting only. There is no need to physically plug / unplug the connections.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

So I am still undecided as to which Lumin product to go with. What would be the difference if I purchase a U1mini to my Bryston Dac vs. a D2 and bypassing the onboard Dac? Would it be the AES connection?

If you would rather use another DAC instead of D2 analog outputs for most types of music playback, you should get a U1 MINI. You can experiment with whether AES or USB sounds better (both are only available from a U1 / U1 MINI, not D2).
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

I am leaning more towards the U1 mini. Only compromise will be I will not get the full MQA unfold with my Bryston DAC. Thanks Peter.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

D2 or U1 Mini