Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Magico M3 v Gryphon Trident II v YG Sonja 2.2

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi_1282001 View Post
    AJR, have you talked to Magico owners or better yet visited their homes in Singapore? If not I would urge you to speak with Alvin or Cecil to request they connect you to local Magico owners – before you commit to the purchase. Beyond the loudspeakers bass, you need to be confident about the Magico / Gryphon synergy. By meeting Magico M3 and M-Project owners you get insight into their choices of amplification [one of them swears by a tube amplifier; another swears by Soulution] and their thoughts on the necessity (or otherwise) to supplement the Magico’s bass by purchasing Q sub(s).
    great idea. Thanks.
    Digital: Innuos Zenith Mk3 Server + MSB Premier DAC with Powerbase
    Amp: Gryphon Pandora + Gryphon Antileon Evo Stereo
    Speakers: Magico S3 MkII
    Cables: MIT SL-Matrix 36 XLR interconnect cables + 70 speaker cables; AQ Diamond & Vodka ethernet cables
    Power: AQ Niagara 5000 + AQ Tornado power cables
    Headphones (travel): Sennheiser Momentum + Chord Mojo

To wrap this up: I love my S3 mk2s. With my Gryphon amps I get crunch with my rock/grunge (so long as I am on low or medium Class A Bias) and what I consider to be amazing sound for all other genres. My only question at this stage is this: does the M3 deliver bass at least as deep as the S3 mk2s? I know that all other sounds are a big step up. I plan to get subs eventually, but would prefer to decide on speakers without subs being necessary.
    Cables: MIT SL-Matrix 36 XLR interconnect cables + 70 speaker cables; AQ Diamond & Vodka ethernet cables

Quote Originally Posted by AJR View Post
    To wrap this up: I love my S3 mk2s. With my Gryphon amps I get crunch with my rock/grunge (so long as I am on low or medium Class A Bias) and what I consider to be amazing sound for all other genres. My only question at this stage is this: does the M3 deliver bass at least as deep as the S3 mk2s? I know that all other sounds are a big step up. I plan to get subs eventually, but would prefer to decide on speakers without subs being necessary.
    Your Singapore dealer should be able to answer the bass question. Can I ask which sub are you going to get? Q sub?

I am agnostic re subs. Naturally predisposed to Magico (so Q-sub) but REL seems like a viable (and cheaper) alternative. Do you have any view on this? And I need two, right?

I am agnostic re subs. Naturally predisposed to Magico (so Q-sub) but REL seems like a viable (and cheaper) alternative. Do you have any view on this? And I need two, right?
    Qsub offers much more flexibility in terms of parameters. I would also suggest to consider JL Audio F112.

You have these?

I got good results using JL F113v2 with my S3.

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by kzhtoo View Post
    I got good results using JL F113v2 with my S3.
    Agreed. Highly recommend the JL Audio over REL for Magico. YMMV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Funny, i'm quite the opposite. I think the new tweeter is super natural, while the older one was hot on certain music and required careful amplifier matching.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinist View Post
    If you are considering YG Acoustics, I would honestly buy a pair of demo Sonja 1.2 over a new pair of Sonja 2.2. I heard the Sonja 2.2 in two different systems and I didn’t like the new silk dome tweeter with the aluminum bracing. It may have a higher power handling capacity before breakup but the old silk dome tweeter in the Sonja 1.2 is much smoother sounding and more pleasing to the ears in my honest opinion. It may also have something to do with changes in the crossover frequency with the new tweeter.

Ken
    Brinkmann Bardo w/ EMT HSD-006 cart, MSB Reference DAC --> Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL --> Ampzilla 2000, 2nd Edition --> Fyne Audio F1-12

I know that all other sounds are a big step up. I plan to get subs eventually, but would prefer to decide on speakers without subs being necessary.
    I agree that any $70k speaker system shouldn't need subs.
    Brinkmann Bardo w/ EMT HSD-006 cart, MSB Reference DAC --> Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL --> Ampzilla 2000, 2nd Edition --> Fyne Audio F1-12

Quote Originally Posted by KeithR View Post
    Funny, i'm quite the opposite. I think the new tweeter is super natural, while the older one was hot on certain music and required careful amplifier matching.
    Keith,

At what volume levels were you playing? Hard to imagine the original silk dome sounding hot unless it was being pushed to very high volume levels. I listened to the 1.2 and 2.2 on Audionet and MSB monoblocks.

Ken
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps; MSB M204 Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

Quote Originally Posted by KeithR View Post
    I agree that any $70k speaker system shouldn't need subs.
    M3 is not a full range speaker (that goes flat to 20Hz). Want a super deep bass ? - fork out for the bigger M6.

M3 is a reference class speaker for small and medium sized rooms.

Sure, there are plenty $70k speakers which could be called full range, but none of them will match the mid and treble purity and resolution of the M3. To each his own.
    Adam

Speakers: Magico M3
    Amp: Dagostino Momentum Stereo
    Digital: Lampi Horizon + Lampi DSD Komputer

Hi AJR,

Can I ask you a couple questions? Have you been happy with the sound of your Magico S3 MK2‘s? Do you wish you had gone with another brand instead?

If the answer is yes to the first question and no to the second, then why wouldn’t you be thrilled with the sound of the Magico M3, which sound significantly better than the S3 Mk2 in every way? They are the most logical upgrade path from where you are right now.

P.S. - I am not a Magico owner nor do I have a dog in this hunt.

Best,
    Ken
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

Quote Originally Posted by Elberoth View Post
    M3 is not a full range speaker (that goes flat to 20Hz). Want a super deep bass ? - fork out for the bigger M6.

M3 is a reference class speaker for small and medium sized rooms.
    His room is medium.

Adding subs in this case is not about super deep bass. It's about increased presence & spatial quality.
    DPT4ME - Dynamics, Presence & Tone for Musical Engagement; MBP (3) - stripped down for music only; Shunyata Omega & Sigma USBs; ISO REGEN w/short Curious USB links; Berkeley Alpha USB; Aqua La Scala II Optologic DAC; Schiit Yggdrasil - fully updated; Ayre Codex dac - updated; Pass Labs INT-60 integrated amp; Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE-2 preamp, Quicksilver Mono 120 amps w/Tung-Sol KT150s; Quicksilver Mid Mono amps w/Gold Lion KT77s; Fyne Audio 703s; Symposium Svelte Plus & Ultra Platforms; REL S-812 subwoofers; Duelund DCA12GA speaker cables; AV Room Service EVPs, Stein Music Harmonizers, Duelund DCA16GA & 20GA ICs; Shunyata Denali 6000S/V2; Tripp Lite PCs; Wyred 4 Sound power cords; AudioDharma cable cooker; dedicated custom room; various GIK & ASC room treatments; etc.

www.getbettersound.com

Hi Ken,

More than happy with my S3 mk2s, including the bass, and the Magico brand, and agree that the M3 is the logical upgrade path. As long as the M3’s bass is at least as low as the S3 mk2, then the M3 tops my shortlist. I will start trying to actually listen to these different options soon.

Cheers

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Smith View Post
    His room is medium.

Adding subs in this case is not about super deep bass. It's about increased presence & spatial quality.
    Is it a general statement or specific advice to owners of M3?

Mike (and anyone else who knows both speakers) - do the M3s go as low as the S3 mk2s? Specs say yes but what is your experience?

Audioshark

Mike (and anyone else who knows both speakers) - do the M3s go as low as the S3 mk2s? Specs say yes but what is your experience?
    Yes. Definitely. They also can play in a much larger room and fill it. But they’re also happy in a smaller room too.

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

Good enough for me

Will still try to audition them all but M3s are the front-runner.

My Magico dealer has offered me an insanely generous trade-in on my S3 mk2s too (for M3s with M-pods). It is so good I doubt he will make anything at all on the re-sale. Takes away the stress and time of me re-selling them. A good dealer is so valuable!

Audioshark

My Magico dealer has offered me an insanely generous trade-in on my S3 mk2s too (for M3s with M-pods). It is so good I doubt he will make anything at all on the re-sale. Takes away the stress and time of me re-selling them. A good dealer is so valuable!
    So true! Congrats.

Very true , and congratulations with your new speakers
    Flemming

Lumin X1
    Rotel Michi S5
    Focus Audio FS788

Inter connect : Nordost Tyr 2 ( 2 Meter )
    LS cable : Yter
    Power Cables : Nordost Frey 2 ( 2 Meter )
    Nordost QB8
    Fibercable for feeding the Lumin X1
    Rack : Finite Elemente Pagode

Congrats Andrew! I think you will be over the moon with your choice.

Enjoy,
    Ken

Let us know how M3 sounds in your room.

I must have given the wrong impression - I haven’t committed yet! I am still recovering from the Gryphon and MSB purchases.

Am hoping to hear them and also the YGs. Doubt I will be able to hear the Tridents.

But I think we all know where this is heading!

@AJR So I guess you aren't interested in my Q3's then...

Isn't the Vivid G1 Spirit worth a look? The Singapore dealer is pretty good.

One thing I'd consider is the volume you want to play music at. When I was searching, I found the sealed box designs (Magico, YG) needed to be played at a decent volume with plenty of power behind them to come alive. Below that they became flat / lifeless. If you're happy with every listening session being flat-out then no problem, but if not, then worth considering.

To my mind, Magico and YG are cut from the same cloth (FWIW I prefer YG), so it may be worth throwing in a different design into the mix to test the above point re: volume. Vivids should def be on your list - the bass is stunning for rock music, esp on the Spirit. I ended up with Wilson Benesch Resolutions + Torus - they are stunning speakers for all the reasons Roy G outlines, and in the UK at least, look very good value compared to non-UK produced speakers (which include Vivid).

Audioshark

Here in the U.S., Vivid has fallen off the map. They decided to terminate their U.S. Distributor about a year ago and go in a completely different direction (working with home designers, home decorators, CI guys, etc.). It’s most certainly not a direction I would have gone with.

IMO, the G1 Spirit is probably the best current "Cone & Dome" loudspeaker that I have voiced to a room in the past 10 years or so. In that respect, it's also significantly beyond the performance of the lower Vivid models.

However - aside from their appearance - there is a real question of their ultimate staying power with the direction they seem to be taking with their marketing.

It's enough of a conundrum that I would have to have plentiful spare funds around that I could use in case the worst happens.
    DPT4ME - Dynamics, Presence & Tone for Musical Engagement; MBP (3) - stripped down for music only; Shunyata Omega & Sigma USBs; ISO REGEN w/short Curious USB links; Berkeley Alpha USB; Aqua La Scala II Optologic DAC; Schiit Yggdrasil - fully updated; Ayre Codex dac - updated; Pass Labs INT-60 integrated amp; Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE-2 preamp, Quicksilver Mono 120 amps w/Tung-Sol KT150s; Quicksilver Mid Mono amps w/Gold Lion KT77s; Fyne Audio 703s; Symposium Svelte Plus & Ultra Platforms; REL S-812 subwoofers; Duelund DCA12GA speaker cables; AV Room Service EVPs, Stein Music Harmonizers, Duelund DCA16GA & 20GA ICs; Shunyata Denali 6000S/V2; Tripp Lite PCs; Wyred 4 Sound power cords; AudioDharma cable cooker; dedicated custom room; various GIK & ASC room treatments; etc.

www.getbettersound.com

IMO, the G1 Spirit is probably the best current "Cone & Dome" loudspeaker that I have voiced to a room in the past 10 years or so. In that respect, it's also significantly beyond the performance of the lower Vivid models.

However - aside from their appearance - there is a real question of their ultimate staying power with the direction they seem to be taking with their marketing.

It's enough of a conundrum that I would have to have plentiful spare funds around that I could use in case the worst happens.
    In your opinion, G1S is better than M3?

Quote Originally Posted by Adyc View Post
    In your opinion, G1S is better than M3?
    On an absolute basis - aside from the concerns noted in my previous post - I would say yes, with the proviso that the room is large enough. It's not a speaker for a middle-to-small room, where the M3 would reign supreme. Also would not place other Vivid models above M3.

I state this not as some incontrovertible fact, but merely my opinion.

www.getbettersound.com

Listening to my Vivid G3 now. Absolutely love it still. The G1S at my dealer's place was noticeably better. But I do agree on the room size requirement. If you have the space, I would think its hard to beat.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Short wall. AT LEAST 31 inches from the middle of the speaker to the side wall. 40-42 inches is better,

Mike, I noticed that MBL recommends that the distance between the speakers (on center) not exceed 3.5 meters (roughly 11'-6"). Do you feel that to be the case?
    If that is true, in a room with a front wall that is 20 feet long, then the minimum distance to the side wall would be about 51 inches. Thats because in a large room the controlling dimension would become the distance center-to-center between speakers as opposed to distance to side wall?

Audioshark

Magico M3 v Gryphon Trident II v YG Sonja 2.2

Yes. I agree with that. Min distance to side wall is 31 inches from middle of Speaker to wall.

Quote Originally Posted by GSOphile View Post
    The Wilson Alexia II has been getting almost universally strong reviews. I'd check this one out. Rockport is also a very strong brand but unsure of availability in Singapore.
    Get with Ron Ong at Coherence Audio. As I remember they are a Rockport dealer. Ron is a great guy. While there check out the MBL's.
    Jim

D'Agostino Momentum M-400's MxV’s & HD Pre-amp
    Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2 speakers
    Digital: dCS Vivaldi APEX DAC, Clock & Upsampler
    Analog: SME 20/3 with Esoteric E-03 Phono
    Transparent Opus Speaker Cable & Interconnects & Opus Power Cords
    Power Cords on Digital: Shunyata
    Power Conditioner - Shunyata Everest

Always thought the bass was wacky on the big Vivids; I don’t buy the “they need a big room” argument, these speakers need to work in a room, in a house, not a ballroom (They had bass issues in Munich as well, where the rooms are big). It’s merely a problematic design, that is all. Midrange is beautiful, but highs are raspy.

Quote Originally Posted by LVB View Post
    Always thought the bass was wacky on the big Vivids; I don’t buy the “they need a big room” argument, these speakers need to work in a room, in a house, not a ballroom (They had bass issues in Munich as well, where the rooms are big). It’s merely a problematic design, that is all. Midrange is beautiful, but highs are raspy.
    ...whatever...

www.getbettersound.com

...whatever...

https://www.stereophile.com/content/...r-measurements

Look at the measurements, almost 15 db more output below 150Hz (in-room, but what start with a 5 db boost anechoic can get out of control in-room in a compromised design). Interesting, you can also see the tweeter "less then optimal” performance.

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by LVB View Post
    https://www.stereophile.com/content/...r-measurements

Look at the measurements, almost 15 db more output below 150Hz (in-room, but what start with a 5 db boost anechoic can get out of control in-room in a compromised design). Interesting, you can also see the tweeter "less then optimal” performance.
    The G3 S2 was even too much in a 19 x 25. I heard the G1 in a small room at Axpona and it sounded like 12 cheap subwoofers were in the room. They need a very big room or a lot of patience.

His room is medium.

What is considered a small, medium or big room? Small I would say is 3*4meters, medim anything up to 6*8meters large would be above that.
    Pre amp: Ocatve Phono Module Power amps: Octave MRE130 Turntable: SAC Girati Grande. Tonearm: Dynavector 507mkII Cartridge: Dynavector Ikeda 9TT Streamer: Aurender A10 Power Distributor: Anzus Mains D8 Speakers: Raidho X-3 Speaker Cables: AudioQuest Rocket 88 XLR Interlink: Ansuz A2, [B]XLR Interlink: [B]Phono interlink: Cammino Serie 1.0 - PH 1.0s Power cables: Anzus Mains Ceramic, two Pom, Aluminium, X series Audio Rack: Rack of Silence 4 and 2.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Magico M3 v Gryphon Trident II v YG Sonja 2.2