Are subwoofers bad for music?
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Steve Guttenberg

Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Ultra Mini, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC452, MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205 Signal Sleuth, Sonos Connect, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40 w/m505A tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Stillpoints Ultra Mini, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh 4300V, McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Are subwoofers bad for music?

Been there, done that. No thank you.

Audioshark
    Post Thanks / Like

Dan, itís definitely an interesting topic. I had REL G1 Mk2 subs and Jim and I tried integrating them with the Magico M3ís and we gave up after hours of trying. The RELís were slow and sluggish and were ďtaking awayĒ and didnít have any new technologies for room integration. Basically, move them around and hope for the best. They failed to integrate with the fast Magicoís.

Over the years, Iíve had sunfire subs with my Maggieís and they worked great and many other subs. Some were good and some, not so much.

Iíve heard several Magico setups with JL Audio subs and those were always awesome and wicked fast. JL Audio, like Magico and others have superb room integration technology.

But the best subs Iíve ever heard, are the Magico Q-Subs and the Avantgarde long bass horn subs. Paradigm makes a cool looking sub too.

Personally, I havenít found a desire to add a sub to many of my setups over the years. I know subs are more about the midrange than the bass, but Iíve still never found a need too often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Audio Research, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Avantgarde Acoustics, Avid HiFi, Ayre Acoustics, Berkeley Audio Design, Bryston, Chord, ClearAudio Turntables & Accessories, Constellation Audio, Esoteric, FirstWatt, Focal Headphones, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Furutech, Gryphon Audio, iFi Audio, ISO Acoustics, JL Audio, KEF Loudspeakers, Kimber Kable, KL Audio Record Cleaning Machines, KR Audio Tube & Amps, Kronos, Lampizator, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MicroMega, MIT Cables, MSB Technologies, Naim Audio, Ortofon, Pass Labs, PS Audio, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables, Roon Labs, Shunyata Research, Siltech, Solid Tech Racks, Sony, SRA, Stein Music, Stillpoints, T+A Electronics, Tannoy Loudspeakers, Transfiguration Cartridges, Trenner & Friedl, Triode Corporation of Japan, VAC, Verity Audio Speakers, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

4. Likes Mechnutt, AJR, the professor, Ritmo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I definitely love my Martin Logan dual subs with my Magnepans. They are fast, musical and integrate flawlessly. They disappear and you only know that they are their if you turn them off. They have enhanced the music and my enjoyment. But not all subs match well with all speakers. I have a velodyne sub that sounds like crap with my Magnepans. However, I am not so sure that I will be using my subs when I get my PSB T3's.

I can certainly relate to live music having too much bass. 2 or 3 years ago, Stevie Wonder came to town and we had great seats at his concert. The bass was way too loud and drowned out his voice. It ruined the concert.
    My Gear- Mains System-Pass X250 amp, BAT VK-51se preamp, Luxman DA-06 DAC, Magnepan 1.6's, Thorens TD-145 TT, Dual Martin Logan Subs, Vintage Luxman T-110 Tuner, Other systems- Parasound A21 amp,Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid tube DAC and Preamp, Magnepan MMG's, Monitor Audio S1's, PSB B6's, Def Tech Pro Monitor 1000's, Velodyne sub, Adcom GFR-700 AVR, Music Hall 25.2 modified CDP, Cables by Cardas Parsec, AQ Columbia DBS 72v, Wire World.

6. Likes Mike, the professor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I turned off mine just to see what happened.
    My conclusion is that, at this moment, i canīt live without the sub.
    At first seconds there is a false sensation of further detail, but after 2 or 3 minutes it is clear that something is missing. Yes, my electronics need the crutch of the subwoofer

8. Likes Mike, the professor, Mechnutt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The dual powered 12 inch subwoofers built into each of my Vandersteen 7 Mk2 speakers are huge winners in my opinion. Deep bass extension, perfect integration and a strong foundation for the music.

The same goes for the outboard Vandersteen Sub Nine subwoofers that I have auditioned, which seamlessly roll over from the internal subs below 100 Hz.

The 11 band equalization on each of the subwoofers allow them to perfectly integrate into my challenging listening room. Richard V. really has it figured out.

Ken
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with
    Two Mono Powerbases, Femto 33 Clock,
    Renderer V2 and Roon Nucleus Plus
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2

10. Likes the professor, Mechnutt, AJR, Ritmo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I was never a fan of subwoofers, and still not a fan to this day. My first experience was my brothers attempt to match his DQ10’s with a sub. He finally purchased the Dahlquist sub and it was horrible !!! Recently I joined two audiophile societies. Almost every member utilizes subs regardless of the hierarchy of the mains. Even speakers well over $20k are matched with subs. And some do not stop at a stereo pair. Four or more subs are commonly used. I understand why audiophiles use subs. It certainly accomplishes the goal of deeper and more robust bass. i can also understand it’s ability to enhance mids and high frequencies. But my gripe comes with trying to match dedicated subwoofer brands with other brand mains. If you want to knock yourself out, be my guest. But IMHO I have heard more situations where subs denigrate the sound rather than enhance it. In some cases they “steal” imaging, focus and soundstaging from the mains. Something the mains designer worked so hard to achieve. And why would someone want to combined a great selection of mains and amplifiers with class ‘D’ active subs, DSP, equalizers, volume pots and other hocus pocus ?
    == Joe ==

12. Likes Mr Peabody liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure subs can be integrated properly, like Joe, I've heard subs not integrated well for the most part.

I personally choose not to go down that road.

The best I've heard subs done, and, I honestly would have not known they were there unless I was told, the first time I heard Kinergetic with their swarm. The subs were audible, just blended the best I've ever heard, seamless.

My friend has six JL in his 2-channel rig, they're blended pretty well, the subs have room correction, I think even with a microphone. Then he also uses a Wavelet.
    Mark Levinson #512 & 532h, Pass Labs XP10, Hegel HD30, JBL 4367's
    Coda CSX. Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro, AcousTech PH-1P
    All Clarus Crimson cabling, AC to binding post. Surgex
    HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP

Post Thanks / Like

If properly integrated, subs can give much more than low end extension and impact.

The sense of realism increases markedly and it is almost as if you can hear the air of the recording venue.

I'm truly happy with my pair of REL R528SEs.
    I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member - Groucho Marx

Fanless SSD Netbook/ Cambridge CD Transport/ Chromecast Audio->Mytek DAC->Gamut Amp->Monitor Audio Speakers+ REL Subwoofers=

15. Likes octadyndude liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

For my needs for music soundfield recreation, subs are a must. YMMV.

As a side note I use Foobar for my music player, which has a spectrum graphic showing exactly how deep the music goes, no guesswork. The guesswork folks might be surprised if they understood what they saw, although some sort of spin would be likely. Or not.

17. Likes the professor liked this post

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast