Are subwoofers bad for music? - Page 5
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Are subwoofers bad for music?

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph R. View Post
    Sorry you feel that way. I respectfully disagree. I understand Jim’s post but take it from a vantage point of a professional, not a hobbiest. Big difference.
    Uncle..

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry you feel that way. I respectfully disagree. I understand Jim’s post but take it from a vantage point of a professional, not a hobbiest. Big difference.
    I agree with and will use your statement above:

Sorry you feel that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    MBP (3), stripped down for music only; Curious USB; Lush USB; PS Audio LanRover; ISO REGEN w/short Curious USB links; Berkeley Alpha USB; 2 Audioquest Diamond ethernet - 1 3M 1 - 5M; Audioquest Diamond AES; Schiit Yggdrasil - updated; Ayre QB-9 DSD; Ayre Codex; ASR Emitter II Exclusive; all electronics on Grand Prix Audio stands; mass-loaded Tannoy Canterburys on custom stands; Outboard Duelund xover bypassing internal Tannoy xover & Tannoy EQ; bi-wired with Duelund DCA16GA speaker cables; mass-loaded REL 212 SEs; Duelund DCA20GA ICs; Stealth Dream PCs; dedicated custom room; various room treatments; etc.

www.getbettersound.com

Post Thanks / Like

Fair enough, Joseph, but this professional has improved the sound quality of scores of hobbiest’s listening rooms by adding subwoofers to their systems. Just sayin...

Ken
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with
    Two Mono Powerbases, Femto 33 Clock,
    Renderer V2 and Roon Nucleus Plus
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2

4. Likes Everest Audio liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You may have missed my post. I prefer just speakers without a sub for 2-channel music, personally. Just because integrated subs has definitely been in the minority of systems I've heard with subs. Also, listeners tastes are different, most times to boost the bass is just too much a temptation for those using subs.
    However, I know from hearing integration of a sub is not impossible and I wouldn't argue subs are necessarily bad for music.
    Pro's use subs as well. When I worked in the business the company I was at built enough EV folded horns.

So except for me, it seems the general concensus is subwoofers are good for almost all speaker systems. Whether they are good for music may (or may not ) be another story. If I were a manufacturer catering mostly to rich clients, there is no doubt I would pair my quarter of a million dollar TOTL speaker with another quarter of a million dollar subwoofer. But is it remotely possible that this could lead me to design a speaker system that would benefit from a sub of my own design ? Could this be nothing short of a marketing tool ? Just some hypotheticals.

I heard some live music yesterday. The bass player had two instuments on stage. A standup bass and a Fender bass guitar. During the show he never picked up the standup acoustic bass. There was no doulbt in my mind that there was too much bass in the mix. At one time the bass was an accompanying instument. Jack Bruce and others have since made it a “lead instument”. Just as an aside, the lowest note of a bass guitar is 40hz. Playing professional guitar for years, I am enamored by tasty bass players who comprise a rhythm section. As with any musician, playing as a band member and not a solo act is what I look for and enjoy.

It seems to me that the audiophile community is moving in the same general direction. As I visit other people’s systems it is common place for more and more subs to be added to their systems. Like Avant Garde, Scana and other high end manufacturers “the more the merrier”. I have heard systems with six to eight subwoofers. And sometimes placed in rooms other than the main listening room. If audiophiles enjoy this, so be it. After all this hobby is for enjoyment purposes. But I also must stand my ground. For me bass is the flavoring of music and not the main event. Just like drums or cannons. I enjoy listening to true acoustic bass much more than electronic bass guitar bass. The analogy of “playing like a band member” holds true for a speaker system. It is more important to me to have a seemless integrated speaker system than to single out great anything (like bass or high frequencies). For me a speaker designer that does that is what I look for. And to do this in a domestic environment is also important. My modest sound room could never accomodate stereo cannons of the 1812 overture. I would never expect any room of my house to.

To each his own.
    Mark Levinson #512 & 532h, Pass Labs XP10, Hegel HD30, JBL 4367's
    Coda CSX. Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro, AcousTech PH-1P
    All Clarus Crimson cabling, AC to binding post. Surgex
    HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5