Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Does anyone make an amp with super smooth mid/topend and powerfull “D Class” bass?

I have come to the conclusion that I like silky smooth top end that is extended, and midrange that is pretty much typical of SET’s and the bass of a D class amp.... anyone know of such an amp?
    Last edited by Doug; August 16, 2018 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Typo

Audioshark

Re: Does anyone make an amp with super smooth mid/topend and powerfull “D Class” bass?

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    I have come to the conclusion that I like silky smooth top end that is extended, and midrange that is pretty much typical of SET’s and the bass of a D class amp.... anyone know of such an amp?
    http://www.mbl.de/n15-mono-poweramp/?lang=en
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Audioshark

Re: Does anyone make an amp with super smooth mid/topend and powerfull “D Class” bass?

My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Does anyone make an amp with super smooth mid/topend and powerfull “D Class” bass?

To me, Bryston amps also fit this bill pretty well. Smooth mids and highs with strong bass.

Some might not use the term “SET-like” exactly but definitely not bright or analytical.
    Sean

Lumin T2
    Gryphon Diablo 333
    Magico A3 w/ A-Pods
    AudioQuest Hurricane HC
    Shunyata PS8 & Defender & Cabling
    HRS E1

We live in the golden age of high-end electronics. There are so many great amplifiers available from many sources. What is probably more important is ampflifer to specific speaker synergy. This really requires very knowledgeable dealers with a breadth of experience.

Just off the top top of my head any of these fit the bill.

Constellation, CH Precision, Soulution, Pass Labs, Berning

There are others but I haven’t heard everything available.
    Caelin Gabriel
    President
    Shunyata Research

http://shunyata.com

I think you should do it differently. Fond speakers that have a smooth sounding top end and match amps accordingly.
    Pre amp: Ocatve Phono Module Power amps: Octave MRE130 Turntable: SAC Girati Grande. Tonearm: Dynavector 507mkII Cartridge: Dynavector Ikeda 9TT Streamer: Aurender A10 Power Distributor: Anzus Mains D8 Speakers: Raidho X-3 Speaker Cables: AudioQuest Rocket 88 XLR Interlink: Ansuz A2, [B]XLR Interlink: [B]Phono interlink: Cammino Serie 1.0 - PH 1.0s Power cables: Anzus Mains Ceramic, two Pom, Aluminium, X series Audio Rack: Rack of Silence 4 and 2.

What price point Doug ?
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

Quote Originally Posted by Mordante View Post
    I think you should do it differently. Fond speakers that have a smooth sounding top end and match amps accordingly.
    respectfully, i disagree here. i think its always easier to go with a neutral speaker and use amps/pres to add coloration as desired. personal bias is that i think i prefer neutrality over all. that said, there are no absolutes in this hobby (take that, _absolute_ sound! lol). case in point: i love neutrality but symphonic line+raidho is an amazing and end-game combo

Quote Originally Posted by Mordante View Post
    I already have my speakers, Soundlabs... M1's right now... I am thinking about getting new ones...

Quote Originally Posted by CPP View Post
    What price point Doug ?
    No more than $10k.... Not retail...

I would take a look at the new NuPrime Evolution amp with a 1M ohm input impedance. The reviews are great and it may have the sound you are looking for.

https://totallywired.nz/nuprime-2/nu...evolution-one/

https://sonicunity.com/pages/the-nup...tening-session

http://nuprimeaudio.com/product/evol...v=7516fd43adaa

I have not heard this amp but a good friend has a Nuforce Model 9se v3 mono's (Now called NuPrime) that has been upgraded by Bob at TDSS. I believe it is supposed to sound like the newer amps. I love the sound of this amp and it has the attributes you are looking for. I have heard it many times in a system with a Parasound JC2 preamp, PS Audio DSD DAC and PSB Synchony One speakers.
    My Gear- Mains System-Pass X250 amp, BAT VK-51se preamp, Luxman DA-06 DAC, Magnepan 1.6's, Thorens TD-145 TT, Dual Martin Logan Subs, Vintage Luxman T-110 Tuner, Cables-WW Platinum 7 USB, Cardas Parsec XLR, AQ Columbia DBS 72v XLR, Belden 8402 XLR.

Didn't NuForce name get sold and Jason (formerly of NuForce) start NuPrime? I may have all the facts wrong, but I am sure that NuForce still sells products but what they used to stand for is now NuPrime, but are a different line of equipment. By the way, Jason is fantastic at standing behind his products. I have dealt with him directly and have been very impressed.
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Wyred 4 Sound ISO Recovery, DC Recovery | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

That's correct the Nuforce name was sold to Optoma the projector company. They were not interested in the two channel gear so they sold the rights to it back to Jason and some other former employees at the OEM factory who created Nuprime. And you are right Randy, Jason is a good guy.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Guys ,

Jack is pretty much spot-on. I can tell you whatever you want to know because my team and I at TDSS worked for Jason/Casey/NuForce from about 2009 until the fall of 2014 when they closed their doors. Why they went belly-up is a long story and I won’t get into that, but as part of the sell-off, they sold what they were calling their “Home” (HT products and small amps like the STA-100, DDA-100, etc.) & “Consumer” lines (portable DACs, Desktop products & Headphones) to Optoma.

At the time, Optoma wanted to diversify into audio because the video projector market was shrinking, but they didn’t want the high-end products. As a side note, I went to work for them as electro-acoustic design engineer from 2014 until just last May of 2017. Most of my work centered around the new “Balanced Armature” headphone products. Casey Ng (Jason’s former partner) went to work for them too and was their VP of the Audio Division (aand my boss) until he left the year before I did. Together we developed what is now their whole HEM Series of BA Headphones.

Anyway, back before NuForce started going under they had already racked up a pretty good bill with their OEM manufacturer in Taiwan, so as partial payment they transferred the IP rights of their high-end line to the factory, which goes by the name of Hontron LTD (after the last name of the two brothers that own it).

So now Hontron owns the IP rights and since they couldn’t use the name NuForce anymore because that had been sold to Optoma, they came up with the name NuPrime. I’m not sure if Jason actually owns any stock in NuPrime at this point or not, but I do know that Hontron decided to hire him on as CEO because he had the knowledge and background they needed to keep marketing the high-end products. Since that all transpired, NuPrime brought on a new engineer, and that guy REALLY knows his stuff. Hence, all of the new gear that they have been marketing under the NuPrime name, with the latest thereof being the new Evolution One.

BTW – To get a little plug in for myself here, I even had a bit of a hand in the development of the Evo-1 too. Under our ongoing agreement, they ended up using some of the same treatments in the Evo-1 that I had developed as part of the upgrades that we offer for the older NuForce Reference Series amps (Ref-9, 18 & 20) and their other newer products. So besides the Evo-1's super-fast 700 KHz switching frequency and its 1 M-ohm Input Impedance, maybe now you have a little more insight into why it is getting the rave reviews that it is.

Back to the point: The upshot of it all is that yes, Jason is a great guy and I have known and done business with him since clear back in 2006 when my old company SP Technology Loudspeakers designed and built what became the NuForce S-9 loudspeakers (PS. I have a couple of pair left if anybody is interested :-). I also designed a number of other things for them like their Magic Cube accessory (now my Aether Audio "Vortex Filters") and was their Technical Marketing Manager and Support Manager during those 5 years. In that, I can tell you one thing - Jason doesn’t “play around” as he works 24/7 seeing to it that things get done. So... he can be a bit tough to work for, but he’s an honest man and does his very best to deliver a good product and treat his customers right. That and the fact that you just can’t beat the sound quality and value that their products offer is why I’ve stuck by him all these years. He’s a good friend that has always done right by me, and you can trust that he will do the same for you too.

I hope the above helps. While it doesn’t tell you how the Evo-1 or any of their other gear sounds, at least you know a little more about who you’d be dealing with.

Take care all,
    -Bob
    Bob @ TDSS

If you are using a tube pre? A very good combination would be the NuPrime ST-10 which has a very tube like mid to begin with. I had my ST-10 TDSS modded (factory authorized) and when I introduced my new Pro-Ject RS Box preamp it was like a family reunion. Your mileage may vary... But that is how you get the kind of bass you desire and tubes playing the music...
    Gene

Schiit Yggdrasil DAC / Pangea Audio Premier XL twin lead USB cable/ WyWires Blue balanced cables/ Schiit Freya S Preamp /TDSS modified NuPrime ST-10 amplifier/ Audience 1+1 V3 speakers / Audience Ar6 TSSD power conditioner. NoNoise Fanless SDD computer/ BBE 282ir / Litz cabling all around.

Doug: I think if you found such an amp you would hate it. For an amp to present different characteristics based on frequencies is a mistake. If a designer wanted the bass, mids and HF to sound differently, where would the line be drawn ? And how could the thing possibly play music ? Remember music ? In real recordings bass is supposed to sound like the instrument. A standup bass certainly does not have the characteristics of a solid body Fender Precision, or a bass drum for that matter. Find the amplifier that can reproduce the instrument and not bass, mids and extended high frequencies.
    == Joe ==

One of the better deals/values that I have seen is the NuForce STA200. I recently found out about this amp and had to grab one. My plans are to bi-amp it with the T+A.

Most people on this forum have heard of and are familiar with the Job 225, by Goldmund. A way of getting a true Goldmund amp, without this glitz and expense of a Goldmund. Fantastic amp and great value at only $1699.

Well from what I have been told and my understanding researching into this amp, Goldmund was looking for a way of moving into a lower end, more value oriented line of equipment, but they did not want to do this under the Goldmund name. They already had a relationship with the company that owns the NuForce name so they open discussions. As a test of the theory they design a new small amp... basically a slightly lower powered version of the Job 225 (80 WPC). It feels exactly the same as the 225, and reviews, including TAS say that it is the exact same sound. For only $1299.

Excellent deal for sure... however Audio Advisor has them on sale for only .....................

$499.... dam, what a deal....

Goldmund/Job are very fast, very dynamic amplifiers. I really enjoyed the sound of the Job when I owned one (actually twice). Very good bass, as fast of an amp as I have ever heard. So the Goldmund/NF at 80 WPC should be a very nice match with the T+A amplifier. People who buy them seem to love them!
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Wyred 4 Sound ISO Recovery, DC Recovery | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Myers View Post
    One of the better deals/values that I have seen is the NuForce STA200. I recently found out about this amp and had to grab one. My plans are to bi-amp it with the T+A.

Most people on this forum have heard of and are familiar with the Job 225, by Goldmund. A way of getting a true Goldmund amp, without this glitz and expense of a Goldmund. Fantastic amp and great value at only $1699.

Well from what I have been told and my understanding researching into this amp, Goldmund was looking for a way of moving into a lower end, more value oriented line of equipment, but they did not want to do this under the Goldmund name. They already had a relationship with the company that owns the NuForce name so they open discussions. As a test of the theory they design a new small amp... basically a slightly lower powered version of the Job 225 (80 WPC). It feels exactly the same as the 225, and reviews, including TAS say that it is the exact same sound. For only $1299.

Excellent deal for sure... however Audio Advisor has them on sale for only .....................

$499.... dam, what a deal....

Goldmund/Job are very fast, very dynamic amplifiers. I really enjoyed the sound of the Job when I owned one (actually twice). Very good bass, as fast of an amp as I have ever heard. So the Goldmund/NF at 80 WPC should be a very nice match with the T+A amplifier. People who buy them seem to love them!
    Hey Randy - This amp sounds like quite the find with its Goldmund legacy especially at its reduced price! I just did a bit of research on it and found one post in another forum that raised an issue which could have an impact on its ability to work in a bi-amp configuration with your T+A. Just posting that info here for your reference in case you weren't already aware of it.

"Keep in mind the STA 200 amp has an input sensitivity of .45 volts and a gain of 34.5 db. It was designed with the intent of the user to feed straight into it, the Nuforce dac, which puts out just a bit under 1.5 volts. Using any preamp, with gain ( non passive ), it is likely you will be using just a small movement of the volume control."

Not sure how you planned on implementing your bi-amp setup and whether you have a way to match relative levels of the two amps, but sounds like it might be an issue if you were planning on using them both directly with no level matching. I recall that you had some in line RCA attenuators which may be of use to put in line with the 'hotter' amp (likely to be the NuForce).

Best of luck with the new setup and please let us know how it works out, keeping my fingers crossed for you with your latest endeavor!

Yea, I figured this might be an issue. Job is pretty much the same. Was talking with Jack as well about this. The Rothwell's bring the STA200 back in line nicely .

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

The Rothwell's should take the SE gain of the LS17 down to 2db which is lower than that of the Job preamp.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

The Rothwell's seem to work very nicely. I do not understand the numbers behind like you guys do, I just know it really seems to match very nicely with the T+A handling the HF chores!

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada

No more than $10k.... Not retail...
    http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews2/nord/1.html

https://www.nordacoustics.co.uk/prod...k-black-single
    ~ Bob ~
    "And it Stoned me to my Soul" Van Morrison
    ClickAudiophile Audition
    Snoopy as the Red Baron attack
    Avatar = The Alan Parsons Project - Eye in the Sky (1982 - orbiting)

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team