Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Lehmannaudio Black Cube SE II question:

I recently purchased the Black Cube SE II for my secondary system consisting of Spendor S 100 speakers, Rega Planar 25 TT with Rega Exact cart. and a Pathos Classic integrated amp. I have found the instructions for adjusting the dip switches extreamly difficult to understand. I couldn't find the switch that turns the cube from MM or MC (The Exact is MC), so I turned all the switches to 'on'.
    I found the sound to be very 'brash' and in your face loud at a very low volumn level. On the Pathos the volumn level was about 25, whereas when playing a CD, for the same volumn level, it reads about 60. This leaves me to believe the Cube is not adjusted correctly, and I don't know how to do it. I need help from anyone here that uses a Black Cube. Thank you.

Re: Lehmannaudio Black Cube SE II question:

JPM - First of all the Rega Exact is a MM cartridge (high output). According to the manual I found here I can see why you find the settings a bit confusing! MM/MC basic gain settings are made via DIPs 1&2, and for MM just set all 4 switches on DIP 1&2 to OFF (actually for MM switch 1 has to be OFF and 2-4 don't matter). That will give you standard MM gain of 54dB with 47kOhm loading which is standard for MM cartridges. Set DIPs 3&4 to OFF for all switches (1 ON would give you 10dB additional gain and switches 2&3 allow you to set filters for additional gain). DIPs 5&6 also deal with filter settings so just leave their switches OFF. So to sum up for standard MM gain of 54dB with no filters or additional gain set all DIP switches to OFF. Hope this helps and let us know how it goes!

Quote Originally Posted by audio.bill View Post
    JPM - First of all the Rega Exact is a MM cartridge (high output). According to the manual I found here I can see why you find the settings a bit confusing! MM/MC basic gain settings are made via DIPs 1&2, and for MM just set all 4 switches on DIP 1&2 to OFF (actually for MM switch 1 has to be OFF and 2-4 don't matter). That will give you standard MM gain of 54dB with 47kOhm loading which is standard for MM cartridges. Set DIPs 3&4 to OFF for all switches (1 ON would give you 10dB additional gain and switches 2&3 allow you to set filters for additional gain). DIPs 5&6 also deal with filter settings so just leave their switches OFF. So to sum up for standard MM gain of 54dB with no filters or additional gain set all DIP switches to OFF. Hope this helps and let us know how it goes!
    Thank you! Your instructions made a vast improvement!!

I aim to please, glad that I was able to assist you getting it properly configured. Now enjoy the music in the best of health!!!

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Lehmannaudio Black Cube SE II question: