Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Why so many DACs?

It just seems like there are far too many DACs. Every day I see a new one being talked about. It just seems crazy... and I assume that it just seems this way to me, but it seems like there are more DACs then other components. Also, many use the same DAC chips, while many of the higher ones appear to use custom chips.

This was the one area of this crazy hobby that was hard for me to gain an understanding of after jumping back in, to a point where I went through a ridicules amount of DACs (I would have to add them back up but I believe it was either 12 or 14?).

It just seems like the amount of companies offering DACs, many that I have never heard of before, is just over whelming. Darn glad that Mike got me to try the T+A!
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Audioshark

Re: Why so many DACs?

Randy, this is an excellent question. The short answer would be, there isn’t any other area of high end audio where the advances over the past 5, 10 or 20 years have been greater. Just think of the DAC’s from 5 years ago. Most have long been surpassed by quite a wide margin. Just look at the sound you’re getting out of that DAC8! Look at what MSB is doing with the perfection of the ladder DAC. Look at what PS Audio can do with firmware updates. Heck, we even have a plethora of tube DAC’s!

The integration of network cards (Roon) is another advancement and of course, we have the ever controversial MQA.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Hehe Mike.... you always clear things up, some what. I just look at the various names mentioned in the threads, even on the first page of Computer/Digital Audio thread... holy crap.... it makes your head spin .... (btw- 10, of which most I have never heard of, and not one of the "big names" are even mentioned on the first page )
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Dac's are like any product when it becomes hot, you'll find plenty of people wanting a piece of the pie.

Look back at the point when higher end cables were discovered to help and became hot, the renaissance of turntables, on and on.

The quick switch to streaming and media servers called for access to the DAC, then stand alone DAC, as it was expected, the listener would just stop playing discs I suppose. Anyway, there was a need, or, at least an opportunity, and companies are taking/filling it. Who can build a better mouse trap.

The chip is just one small part of the overall DAC, that's why Astell & Kearn's portable sounds different than Hegel DAC's, both good, both use the same DAC chip in many of their DAC's. A lot goes into receiving the digital feed before it sees the DAC and a great deal goes into the analog section of a DAC. That's why DAC's can be a cheap as a couple hundred dollars up to the stratosphere.
    Aurender ACS10 w/Audioquest Diamond USB, Esoteric N05xd
    Mark Levinson #526, 534 & JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart
    Clarus Concerto & their Crimson cables

HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent, Analysis Plus & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP
    Parasound P6, MBL 8006b, Artisan speakers/subwoofer

DACs are like cell phones.

Hello my name is Marty and I am a Dacaholic.....
    Marty

Aurender N20 / SonicTransporter i7 / Roon
    MSB Premier
    Constellation Inspiration Preamp 1.0 / Mono 1.0
    Dynaudio Confidence 50 / SVS SB13 Ultra
    PS Audio Powerplant 15

Hey give it another month or so and more dac updates and the next best thing will be out along with the marketing gee wiz wording and the forum accolades. Spend spend spend.
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

I am really really really really really really really hoping that the T+A will fulfill my DAC needs for a while.

I was definitely in need of an intervention ever since Normal convinced me that I HAD to get a DSD DAC. I think you could probably classify him as a DAC pusher from what it has led to .

"God dam the pusher man" ...

ps. if you are too young to know where that came from then I truly feel sorry for you

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

It appears the trend right now in DACs is the ladder conversion types with no oversampling.
    Marty

Aurender N20 / SonicTransporter i7 / Roon
    MSB Premier
    Constellation Inspiration Preamp 1.0 / Mono 1.0
    Dynaudio Confidence 50 / SVS SB13 Ultra
    PS Audio Powerplant 15

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Myers View Post
    I am really really really really really really really hoping that the T+A will fulfill my DAC needs for a while.

I was definitely in need of an intervention ever since Normal convinced me that I HAD to get a DSD DAC. I think you could probably classify him as a DAC pusher from what it has led to .

"God dam the pusher man" ...

ps. if you are too young to know where that came from then I truly feel sorry for you
    oh yes, 1968
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

Bingo... one of my favorite bands growing up! (Opening credits for a fairly famous movie also)... starring ...

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Randy, I have the LP, fold out cover, For Ladies Only. I've got other albums by them as well. I always wondered if that car ever was driven down the street

Bingo... one of my favorite bands growing up! (Opening credits for a fairly famous movie also)... starring ...
    Aurender ACS10 w/Audioquest Diamond USB, Esoteric N05xd
    Mark Levinson #526, 534 & JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart
    Clarus Concerto & their Crimson cables

HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent, Analysis Plus & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP
    Parasound P6, MBL 8006b, Artisan speakers/subwoofer

I have a DSD download of the first album (where The Pusher, Born to be Wild, etc. came from), 192kHz versions of 3-4 other albums... actually listened to one the other night

Oh btw---- the car....

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

It just seems like there are far too many DACs. Every day I see a new one being talked about.
    ............ and one could say the same about different flavors of ice cream !
    Cheers ! …. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Mikado463 View Post
    ............ and one could say the same about different flavors of ice cream !
    True but ice cream doesn't cost you $85,000

Quote Originally Posted by CPP View Post
    Which DAC costs $85k?!

Quote Originally Posted by CPP View Post
    true and anyone spending 85k on a DAC is goofier than a 3 dollar bill !
    Cheers ! …. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by nc42acc View Post
    Hello my name is Marty and I am a Dacaholic.....
    Welcome Marty!
    Paul

Speakers: Von Schweikert VR-5 Anniversary MK II Front L/R, LCR-35 Center, VR-1 Rear L/R Sub: JL Audio F113
    Amps: PS Audio BHK Signature 300 Mono, McIntosh MC207 Pre-Amp PS Audio BHK Signature and Gold Note PH-10 Phono Stage/PSU-10 Power Supply
    Turntable: VPI HR-X 12.7 TONEARM (2) and SDS, Stillpoints LPI
    Tape Deck Otari 5050B II2
    Music Server: Aurender N100H
    Cartridges: Ortofon Cadenza Black, Lyra Helikon Mono Digital Source: Oppo UDP-205 DAC: Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE
    SSP: Marantz AV8801 Cables: Wireworld Electra 7 (P) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7, Shunyata Delta NR (I) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 (S)
    Wireworld Platinum Starlight 7 (USB)
    AC Power Regeneration: PS Audio DirectStream P15 Power Plant and Shunyata Denali 6000s V2.

Quote Originally Posted by nicoff View Post
    Which DAC costs $85k?!
    http://www.msbtechnology.com/dacs/select-features/

Which DAC costs $85k?!
    I think it was answered already, one of the MSB dacs,

Audioshark

And if you can afford it, worth every dime! It’s on an entirely different level even from others costing similar. We have a few members with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikado463 View Post
    true and anyone spending 85k on a DAC is goofier than a 3 dollar bill !
    It might save someone from having to spend $60k on a Nagra pre-amp.
    Jim

D'Agostino Momentum M-400's MxV’s & HD Pre-amp
    Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2 speakers
    Digital: dCS Vivaldi APEX DAC, Clock & Upsampler
    Analog: SME 20/3 with Esoteric E-03 Phono
    Transparent Opus Speaker Cable & Interconnects & Opus Power Cords
    Power Cords on Digital: Shunyata
    Power Conditioner - Shunyata Everest

Quote Originally Posted by still-one View Post
    yes, just for little more money to behave like a true preamp with multiple analog inputs - they don't come for free like Nagra does

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by Devg View Post
    yes, just for little more price to behave like a true preamp with multiple analog inputs - they don't come for free like Nagra does
    How many digital inputs on the Nagra?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    How many digital inputs on the Nagra?

None but Nagra preamp that we are talking about is NOT a DAC either

mauidan

The $22K Playback Designs MPD-8 DAC doesn't need a pre-amp.

A lot of DACs do not "need" a pre-amp, but many people prefer using a pre-amp. My T+A DAC 8 DSD (retail $4200) has an excellent pre-amp with an excellent volume control.

"A volume control is another unusual feature in a DAC, but it makes good sense if the user wishes to install active loudspeakers, or employ the DAC 8 DSD as a pre-amplifier in conjunction with external power amplifiers. The volume control is of highly refined design, and exploits analogue control elements down to low volumes, as they avoid any loss of dynamic quality even at low listening levels. Two gold-contact relays are provided to by-pass the volume control, i.e. it can be removed entirely from the signal path when not required."

However I still prefer using my ARC pre-amp.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Audioshark

Until the MSB, I thought all volume controls in DAC’s weren’t even at the level of a cheapie preamp like the JOB. The one on the Berkeley and others was just not good. Preamp definitely needed. The Lampi, as the exception, wasn’t all that bad.

The MSB changed my view on this. It can hang or beat some of the best I’ve heard. I will admit, a preamp can add some certain characteristics, not the least is dynamics, tonal coloration, etc. Will be interested to see how the Premier sounds as a VC.

I agree with the comments that there have been major improvements in DACs in the last 10 years.

As the digital technology has become better understood, more companies are capitalizing on that knowledge and are bringing out more digital products such as music players and DACs.

A $10k top of the line digital preamp from 8 years ago with a premium DAC (at that time), can now be bested by products costing a tenth of that. That is good news for consumers.

Also today there are music players that can do file upsampling and add filters previously unavailable to a regular consumer. Several of the new DACs can process those files and make digital music sound like it never had before. It is good news in the digital front.

Also today there are music players that can do file upsampling and add filters previously unavailable to a regular consumer. Several of the new DACs can process those files and make digital music sound like it never had before. It is good news in the digital front.
    Not only s/w based upsampling with different taste of filters/modulators, a true 64-bit dsd wide volume control can also be achieved in the s/w that can potentially eliminate the need for a preamp if you don't need multiple analog inputs.

Digital is advancing very fast and its an interesting time for the consumers. Recently released iFI iDSD Pro can do DSD1024

Randy,

I agree with the concept of the hot market and everyone jumping into the market to cash in.

In your case, the reason why you have or had so many is that you can't make up your mind.

Hope all is well with you!
    MICHAEL
    Main|Samsung QLED 4K|McIntosh MC501 - MX151 - MR85 - D100|Aerial Acoustics|Roon|RPI|
    Sitting Room|Yamaha|Oppo|NHT|
    Glass Studio|Yamaha|JBL|
    Shop|Sony|

Moore's Law, which I don't think applies to any other part of hifi.

Larry
    Analog-VPIClassic3-3DArm,Lyra Skala+MiyajimaZeroMono,2xAmpex ATR-102,Otari MX5050B2, Merrill Trident Tape Preamp, Herron VTPH-2A&BottleheadPhonoPre,
    Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacificMicroso nicsModel2 AD
    Dig Play-Lampi Horizon, mch NADAC Roon/HQPlayer,Oppo105
    Electronics-DoshiPre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps
    Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
    Other-512 Engineering Tim Marutani Symmetrical Power IsoTrans and cables,AudioDiskVinylCleaner,
    Music-2.3KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs,60TBripped files

Quote Originally Posted by Yamaki View Post
    Randy,

I agree with the concept of the hot market and everyone jumping into the market to cash in.

In your case, the reason why you have or had so many is that you can't make up your mind.

Hope all is well with you!

yea, yea ... the T+A is something very special!

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

yea, yea ... the T+A is something very special!
    100% agree!

Because of the “dac of the month” club?
    Brinkmann Bardo w/ EMT HSD-006 cart, MSB Reference DAC --> Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL --> Ampzilla 2000, 2nd Edition --> Fyne Audio F1-12

Quote Originally Posted by mauidan View Post
    The $22K Playback Designs MPD-8 DAC doesn't need a pre-amp.
    And it does't play in the same sandbox as the top of the line MSB or dCS nor as good of a pre-amp as the Nagra.
    Jim

D'Agostino Momentum M-400's MxV’s & HD Pre-amp
    Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2 speakers
    Digital: dCS Vivaldi APEX DAC, Clock & Upsampler
    Analog: SME 20/3 with Esoteric E-03 Phono
    Transparent Opus Speaker Cable & Interconnects & Opus Power Cords
    Power Cords on Digital: Shunyata
    Power Conditioner - Shunyata Everest

mauidan

And it does't play in the same sandbox as the top of the line MSB or dCS nor as good of a pre-amp as the Nagra.
    Jim, I haven't heard the top of the line MSB*, dCS or the Nagra preamp, and probably never will, but I don't play in sandboxes either.

Have you heard the MPD-8 DAC in your system?

*I did hear a DAC IV, when Nick Bedworth was on Maui.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Why so many DACs?