Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Backup power for music servers and DAC's

CyberPower manufactures a variety of uninterruptible power supply units. Several of their UPS deliver clean sinewave output and come in a component style configuration that makes them convenient for audio rack applications. I recently discovered the CyberPower PR750LCDRTXL2U model, a 750VA, 675W UPS that I find quite interesting. It is 3.5" high, 17" wide, and 15.75 inches deep. In addition to the battery backup, it provides automatic voltage regulation and surge protection. The batteries are user replaceable when that time comes. They are more expensive than typical APC or TrippLite UPS units but appear to be more substantial in features, build quality, and form factor.

In my living room system I currently use an APC UPS-650 but its enclosure does not lend itself to being installed in a component rack so it sits on the floor next to the audio rack. The APC UPS does not produce pure sinewave output, nor does it provide voltage regulation. I use it to backup the power for my Auender N100H music server, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil DAC, and the Simaudio MOON 260D transport The server is the only component that truly requires backup in order to maintain its operating system without requiring a hard boot after a power interruption, but I keep the DAC and transport powered to keep them at normal operating temperature.

At this time I am giving serious consideration to ordering the CyberPower PR750LCDRTXL2U. It would look good in my audio rack while providing clean sinewave power and voltage regulation to the connected components. I thought perhaps there may be others who might find this UPS of interest.
    Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital coax,
    Sonos Connect, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Ultra Mini, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205 Signal Sleuth, Sonos Connect, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable,
    Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40 w/m505A tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Stillpoints Ultra Mini, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh 4300V, McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

Re: Backup power for music servers and DAC's

Is this something that would be used in lieu of, say, a PS Audio P10 or P5? Like a cheaper alternative?

Quote Originally Posted by nicoff View Post
    Is this something that would be used in lieu of, say, a PS Audio P10 or P5? Like a cheaper alternative?
    nicoff.......No. The CyberPower UPS is an altrnative AC power source during loss of utility power. The fact that the model I mentioned also provides voltage regulation and surge protection does not mean it provides ultra clean AC that has harmonic distortion stripped from the sine wave. My current power connection for my APC 650 UPS is my PS Audio P10 AC power regenerator. In that way I am feeding clean power to the UPS, although the APC 650 UPS does not produce pure sine wave output when on battery power, rather it produces simulated sine wave power which is a stepped type sine wave. This is not the perfect power that comes from the P10, but as a backup power source to maintain power to the Aurender N100H music server for short intervals it is satisfactory. In actuality the American Power Conversion 650 UPS works fine for my primary purpose of keeping the operating system in the N100H music server online, but the CyberPower UPS is considerably more sophisticated in many ways and it would allow it to be installed in my audio rack. The CyberPower PR750LCDRTXL2U UPS is more of a want than a need.
    Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital coax,
    Sonos Connect, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Ultra Mini, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205 Signal Sleuth, Sonos Connect, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable,
    Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40 w/m505A tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Stillpoints Ultra Mini, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh 4300V, McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

I don't know if this is the direct equivalent of the CyberPower but I've been using the APC Smart UPS range for over 8-10 years now both at home and in my offices. I have my audio gear running off an APC 2KVA SURT model which is now discontinued but was at the time of introduction used for providing backup for servers and hospital equipment.

https://www.apc.com/shop/us/en/categ...-line/N-pgx5ae

I do remember the APC significantly improving the sound back then but it's been many years and the sound is now "set" in my ears. Back then the features of regenerating a sine wave by double conversion topology and the fine adjustment of the output frequency was a big deal. APC did go down briefly but has now come back after being taken over by Schneider Electric.

Regards.
    2 Channel Stereo :
    Custom Win10 Transport | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Acoustic Portrait Thiyaga | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

Nikhil.......The new APC backups look very nice. I am surprised how similar the new APC Smart-UPS SRT 1000 appearance is to the CyberPower UPS units I have been researching. The pricing on APC has skyrocketed.

I have seen several audio systems using the APC AV Black 1kVA S Type power conditioner and battery backup unit that provides pure sine wave power, voltage regulation, EMI/RFI filtering, and surge protection. It seems to be popular with audio enthusiasts. Its price is similar to the APC SRT model UPS units, typically near $1K.

Dan

This morning
    I ordered the American Power Conversion APC SMC1000-2U uninterruptible power supply for my living room system. I bought it from B&H Photo for $385.00 with free 3-day shipping. I should have it this Friday. B&H Photo beat NewEgg and Amazon prices by $40.00.

I am looking forward to installing this UPS. It will look attractive sitting on a shelf in my Salamander rack, something my present APC Smart UPS 650 isn't able to do. In addition, this UPS delivers pure sine wave AC when on battery. It is rated at 1000VA/600 watts and should easily support my Aurender N100H, Sonos ZP9 zone player, and a NetGear WiFi Extender for over an hour on battery backup. I decided last night to power the Yggdrasil DAC and the Simaudio MOON 260D transport directly from the PS Audio P10. I moved their power cables last night to the P10.

I will power the new UPS from an always active receptacle on the P10 AC regenerator. The APC SMC1000-2U features automatic voltage regulation but since the P10 also regulates its output voltage to exactly 120 volts the APC UPS will not have to work hard adjusting AC voltage. The APC UPS also provides EMI/RFI filtering and surge protection, both features also being taken care of in advance by the P10. This should certainly mean the power to the Aurender N100H will be squeaky clean and stable on both utility power and battery backup power. I am excited to have the new UPS in my living room audio rack.
    Dan

Congratulations Dan...looks like a fine unit at a very attractive price. I’m might order one myself. I lost power twice in the last few days. Lucky my Aurender N100H came back up without any issues.
    Paul

Speakers: Von Schweikert VR-5 Anniversary MK II Front L/R, LCR-35 Center, VR-1 Rear L/R Sub: JL Audio F113
    Amps: PS Audio BHK Signature 300 Mono, McIntosh MC207 Pre-Amp PS Audio BHK Signature and Gold Note PH-10 Phono Stage/PSU-10 Power Supply
    Turntable: VPI HR-X 12.7 TONEARM (2) and SDS, Stillpoints LPI
    Tape Deck Otari 5050B II2
    Music Server: Aurender N100H
    Cartridges: Ortofon Cadenza Black, Lyra Helikon Mono Digital Source: Oppo UDP-205 DAC: Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE
    SSP: Marantz AV8801 Cables: Wireworld Electra 7 (P) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7, Shunyata Delta NR (I) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 (S)
    Wireworld Platinum Starlight 7 (USB)
    AC Power Regeneration: PS Audio DirectStream P15 Power Plant and Shunyata Denali 6000s V2.

Quote Originally Posted by Audiophilehi View Post
    Congratulations Dan...looks like a fine unit at a very attractive price. I’m might order one myself. I lost power twice in the last few days. Lucky my Aurender N100H came back up without any issues.
    Paul.......You're right, an extremely attractive price that represents a lot of peace of mind for sensitive digital music servers. Cheap insurance in my opinion.
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by jdandy View Post

This morning
    I ordered the American Power Conversion APC SMC1000-2U uninterruptible power supply for my living room system. I bought it from B&H Photo for $385.00 with free 3-day shipping. I should have it this Friday. B&H Photo beat NewEgg and Amazon prices by $40.00..
    Dan, that is a really good price.
    Like you said, really good practical insurance for your gear.

You may also want to check with your vendor on the battery pack supplied.
    Check if the APC SMC 1000 can use a 9AH battery instead of the 7AH battery they usually come with.
    The 9AH has a better discharge characteristic apart from the longer battery backup.
    2 Channel Stereo :
    Custom Win10 Transport | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Acoustic Portrait Thiyaga | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

Quote Originally Posted by Nikhil View Post
    Dan, that is a really good price.
    Like you said, really good practical insurance for your gear.

You may also want to check with your vendor on the battery pack supplied.
    Check if the APC SMC 1000 can use a 9AH battery instead of the 7AH battery they usually come with.
    The 9AH has a better discharge characteristic apart from the longer battery backup.
    Nikhil.......I will check into the higher capacity battery. I appreciate the advice. If the APC SMC1000 can use a 9AH battery, I will most likely wait until the first battery replacement becomes necessary, then make the upgrade. As it stands I will have less than a 50 watt load on the UPS which should give me in excess of 90 minutes of backup run time. That is far more than I will require because I shut down the music servers manually if the utility power is not restored within 15 or 20 nimutes. The backup power serves my purpose by allowing the music server to remain energized during short term power interruptions. Where I live power interruptions are quite often momentary, less than 5 or 10 seconds. That is what I am most concerned with while protecting my music servers.
    Dan

Nikhil.......Good news. I contacted the seller about the batteries in the APC SMC1000-2U UPS. The batteries are 9Ah rated, good for 3 to 5 years.

Thanks again or the tip.

Dan

Dan, that's great!

Looks like APC has standardized the 9AH batteries.
    With the way you plan to use them they should last a long time.

Regards.
    2 Channel Stereo :

Dan I have that APC SMT1000C in the tower, its been a few years and going strong. I use it in my office, computer,NAS, monitor etc..
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

Not sure about these new models but on the APC S20BLK power conditioner that I have, when the unit kicks into battery back up an alarm mode is activated. It,s a timed interval beeping. Haven't looked into the ability to disabling it but it is not acceptable for continued musical enjoyment. But it does alert you to a power issue and gives you plenty of time to shut things down.
    As Nikhil stated, I believe these units have primarily been designed for computer/server usage and not specifically designed for audio purposes.
    However, for the most part they do a good job for us, just with a few quirks.
    My System
    Acoustic Revive RTP-4
    Innuos Pulsar
    Lampizator BALTIC4
    Cary SLP-05
    Pass XA30.5 or
    Line Magnetic 845ia
    Reference 3A Reflector's
    Pr SVS SB3000 Subs
    Cables & Tubes "subject to change without notification".
    Complete system on battery power/solar
    Core Audio Design Rack
    DIY bass traps and custom curved diffusors.

Quote Originally Posted by jadedavid View Post
    Not sure about these new models but on the APC S20BLK power conditioner that I have, when the unit kicks into battery back up an alarm mode is activated. It,s a timed interval beeping. Haven't looked into the ability to disabling it ...
    The units can be programmed to stay silent. That's how I have mine set.
    The default setting is set to beep.
    2 Channel Stereo :

Not sure about these new models but on the APC S20BLK power conditioner that I have, when the unit kicks into battery back up an alarm mode is activated. It,s a timed interval beeping. Haven't looked into the ability to disabling it but it is not acceptable for continued musical enjoyment.

Dave.......
    The APC SMC1000-2U UPS has a Mute feature that allows the alarm beep to be silenced. When pressed, the lower left button mutes the alarm beep and the speaker symbol in the display changes to show a hash mark across the speaker.

Dan

I have the older APC which does sine wave regeneration.

Quote Originally Posted by CPP View Post
    Dan I have that APC SMT1000C in the tower, its been a few years and going strong. I use it in my office, computer,NAS, monitor etc..
    Chris.......Through the years I have gotten excellent service from my APC UPS units. I presently use a total of seven APC 650, 750 and 1000 Smart-UPS. I back my office computer and monitor, three satellite receivers and 4K TV's, my Aurender N100H in the living room, my security system cameras and hard drive, and a PC and PowerMac computer in my studio control room. They have all provided me excellent service through many years. I put fresh batteries in them every three years to keep their performance reliable. It is my confidence in APC's long term reliability that was the determining factor to purchase the APC SMC1000-2U UPS instead of the CyberPower PR750LCDRTXL2U.

The new APC SMC1000-2U UPS will replace a Smart-UPS 650 in the living room sound system. It is the first pure sine wave UPS I have owned.
    Dan

Thanks to both for the info on silencing the beep. Maybe if I were to have actually read the 87 page manual I would have noticed that. Duh.
    My System
    Acoustic Revive RTP-4
    Innuos Pulsar
    Lampizator BALTIC4
    Cary SLP-05
    Pass XA30.5 or
    Line Magnetic 845ia
    Reference 3A Reflector's
    Pr SVS SB3000 Subs
    Core Audio Design Rack

Thanks to both for the info on silencing the beep. Maybe if I were to have actually read the 87 page manual I would have noticed that. Duh.
    Dave.......Unless you were joking, I don't have a clue which 87 page manual you are talking about. The manual for the APC SMC1000-2U is only 20 pages.

http://www.apc.com/salestools/AHUG-8...N8PL_R5_EN.pdf
    Dan

Dan, I initially didn't check the actual amount of pages but knew it was a lot. Just checked, there are 54 pages for the S20blk. Whew
    My System
    Acoustic Revive RTP-4
    Innuos Pulsar
    Lampizator BALTIC4
    Cary SLP-05
    Pass XA30.5 or
    Line Magnetic 845ia
    Reference 3A Reflector's
    Pr SVS SB3000 Subs
    Core Audio Design Rack

The BEEP

it might not cover all units, but I though it was helpful
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

Chris.......That video was helpful. Thanks.

Just checked the FedEx site. My APC SMC1000-2U is out for delivery.
    Dan

Northern California Coast & San Francisco

I see little need to worry about this. I own two UPS/regenerators which are no longer in use, as I consider cleansing (Shunyata Typhon) my incoming AC far more worthwhile. I live where power interruptions are common and have never had a problem with my gear.
    Tom
    Ultimate Audio
    SoundLab Dealer

Country System:
    SoundLab Ultimate-1PX Electrostatic Speakers
    Pass Labs XP-32 pre, Pass Labs XA60.8 Amps
    Pass Lab XP-27 phono stage
    SME 20/2 table with SME V arm, Stillpoints LPI
    Minus-K BM-8 passive vibration control under tt
    Dynavector XV-1s, Koeitsu Rosewood Signature cartridges, Klaudio RCM
    Roon Nucleus+ powered by Keces P-8 LPS
    Lumin X-1 Network Music Player
    3 dedicated AC lines
    Shunyata Omega PC to Everest for all source devices
    Typhon for each amp powered by 2 dedicated circuits
    Various Shunyata Alpha & Sigma PC's throughout.
    Stillpoints under everything.

City System:
    Ayre KX-R Twenty Preamp
    Pass Labs X-260.8 Monoblocks
    Esoteric K-03 SACD Player
    Roon Nucleus+powered by UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS
    Sound Lab Ultimate-545PX Speakers
    Shunyata Hydra 8, Typhon QR
    Various Shunyata Alpha & Sigma PC's throughout
    Stillpoints under everything. Multiple room acoustic panels.

Quote Originally Posted by MtnHam View Post
    I see little need to worry about this. I own two UPS/regenerators which are no longer in use, as I consider cleansing (Shunyata Typhon) my incoming AC far more worthwhile. I live where power interruptions are common and have never had a problem with my gear.
    Tom.......I agree with you that clean power is essential and important for an audio system. My need for battery backup power stems from having music servers with internal hard drive that store not only the music files but the operating system. Sudden loss of power at an inopportune time has the potential for corrupting files. Employing battery backup power to support the music servers solve the issue of momentary utility power drop outs, and also allows me time to properly shut the music servers down manually should there be an extended power outage. It was never my intention to support the entire living room system with backup power.

Looking at your signature I see you have two Lumin A1 network players, one each in your two systems. I assume you are operating a NAS in each location to feed music file to the Lumin players. If so, are you not supporting the NAS in each location with a UPS?
    Dan

Northern California Coast & San Francisco

Hi Dan. Yes, I have a Synology NAS in each system, and no UPS in either, and other than having to restart each NAS after an interruption, no problems.
    Tom
    Ultimate Audio
    SoundLab Dealer

Country System:
    SoundLab Ultimate-1PX Electrostatic Speakers
    Pass Labs XP-32 pre, Pass Labs XA60.8 Amps
    Pass Lab XP-27 phono stage
    SME 20/2 table with SME V arm, Stillpoints LPI
    Minus-K BM-8 passive vibration control under tt
    Dynavector XV-1s, Koeitsu Rosewood Signature cartridges, Klaudio RCM
    Roon Nucleus+ powered by Keces P-8 LPS
    3 dedicated AC lines
    Shunyata Omega PC to Everest for all source devices
    Typhon for each amp powered by 2 dedicated circuits
    Various Shunyata Alpha & Sigma PC's throughout.
    Stillpoints under everything.

City System:
    Ayre KX-R Twenty Preamp
    Pass Labs X-260.8 Monoblocks
    Esoteric K-03 SACD Player
    Roon Nucleus+powered by UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS
    Sound Lab Ultimate-545PX Speakers
    Shunyata Hydra 8, Typhon QR
    Various Shunyata Alpha & Sigma PC's throughout
    Stillpoints under everything. Multiple room acoustic panels.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Backup power for music servers and DAC's