Audiophile listening rooms - Page 6
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6
Results 51 to 58 of 58
  1. #51
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    1,148
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Audiophile listening rooms

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Smith View Post
    FWIW - Although your room truly looks great, I can tell from your images that there is entirely another level of immersive musical involvement & emotional response to your music that you could be experiencing - without changing components or spending money on room treatments - or hiring a set-up guy either...
    Jim - It would be helpful to know if your comment is specific to one system shown above or in general to these setups, and would be of much more value if you could share some further details of what specifically you have in mind. I normally wouldn't ask since I realize it's part of your business, but since you stated "without hiring a set-up guy" I thought you might be willing to do so. TIA for sharing your valuable insight with AS forum members!

  2. Likes Audio 1 liked this post
  3. #52
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    304
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Audiophile listening rooms

    Great space Randy! I really like your new equipment rack setup.
    Marty
    Main system: Aurender N10, T&A DAC8 DSD, Perfectwave, Kitsune, Audio Research REF5SE - REF75, Von Schweikert VR5 Anniversary MKII, JPS, Neotech and Furutech cabling and connectors.
    Office System: Linn LP12, Aurender N100H, Audio Research LS27, Oppo Sonica, Nord NC500, KEF R500

  4. Thanks Randy Myers thanked for this post
  5. #53
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Nipomo, CA
    Posts
    2,292
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Audiophile listening rooms

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Smith View Post
    FWIW - Although your room truly looks great, I can tell from your images that there is entirely another level of immersive musical involvement & emotional response to your music that you could be experiencing - without changing components or spending money on room treatments - or hiring a set-up guy either...


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hey Jim,

    I would love to know what came to your mind when reviewing my photos. I also understand this is your business, therefore I would not want to ask more than a quick opinion. I am sure you know that I always very much appreciate and value others opinions and inputs .

    Randy
    Audio Research LS17 SE, T+A DAC 8 DSD, T+A AMP 8, W4S Recovery, KEF R700, KEF R400b, KEF M500, Ayre Pono
    Oppo BDP-105, Technics ST-9030, MrSpeakers Ether, Richard Gray High Tension Power, Kimber Kable 12TC & 8VS bi-wired
    AudioQuest Niagara 1000, AudioQuest Earth XLR, AudioQuest Anaconda XLR, AudioQuest Coffee USB x2
    Pangea, Wireworld, Gingko, PS Audio, W4S, AQ, Magnum Dynalab, Roon, HQPlayer

  6. #54
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    218
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Audiophile listening rooms

    I would be willing interested to hear what Jim has to say also.

  7. #55
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    412
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Audiophile listening rooms

    Quote Originally Posted by audio.bill View Post
    Jim - It would be helpful to know if your comment is specific to one system shown above or in general to these setups, and would be of much more value if you could share some further details of what specifically you have in mind. I normally wouldn't ask since I realize it's part of your business, but since you stated "without hiring a set-up guy" I thought you might be willing to do so. TIA for sharing your valuable insight with AS forum members!
    I actually see issues that restrict - often dramatically - the system's ultimate potential in almost every system image that I see here and on other forums. The exception might be Mike Lavigne's set-up, though without hearing it, I couldn't state it for certain. Even though he has fabulous equipment, IMO, it's not nearly as much about the equipment as it is how it works with (rather than against) the room.

    Mike Bovaird's set-up requirements are quite different, as he has multiple systems on hand to demo. Even so, of the many dealers I've visited, going way back to when I worked in Sales & Marketing at ARC, and then National Sales Mgr. at Magnepan, etc., Mike's set-ups are among the best - if not THE best - store demos I've heard. When I say best, I mean in the realm of musical involvement, not some technically-excellent-but-musically-boring set-up.

    I replied privately to Randy. There was enough to discuss (not really negative, just some insights) that I recommended to him that it'd be much more efficient if we first communicated via e-mail, and then via a brief phone call to cover the info supplied. As with most installations, some straightforward - often free - steps can be taken to lift the system's performance to a higher realm of musical involvement.

    So my reply here is that each set-up has issues, and one public reply to the owner - even if it was OK to do so - does not necessarily apply across the board to others. In retrospect, I probably shouldn't have made the post. Interestingly, it was a system shown and positively commented upon earlier in the thread that got my attention re publicly mentioning these issues, but Randy's was there when I thought of actually commenting.

    FWIW - this is one of the reasons that I created the (relatively) affordable one-on-one StraightTalk sessions:

    http://getbettersound.com/st.html

    Thanks for your question - sorry that I couldn't answer it here.




    MBP (3), stripped down for music only; Curious USB; Lush USB; PS Audio LanRover; ISO REGEN w/short Curious USB links; Berkeley Alpha USB; Audioquest Diamond ethernet; Audioquest Diamond AES; Schiit Yggdrasil - updated; PS Audio Direct Stream DAC & Transport; Ayre QB-9 DSD; Ayre Codex; ASR Emitter II Exclusive; all electronics on Grand Prix Audio stands; mass-loaded Tannoy Canterburys on custom stands; Outboard Duelund xover bypassing internal Tannoy xover & Tannoy EQ; bi-wired with Duelund DCA16GA speaker cables; mass-loaded REL 212 SEs; Duelund DCA20GA ICs; Stealth Dream PCs; dedicated custom room; various room treatments; etc.

    www.getbettersound.com

  8. Thanks Mike, Randy Myers, Mike Lavigne, audio.bill thanked for this post
    Likes Mike, Randy Myers, asindc, rrwmd liked this post
  9. #56
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    218
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Audiophile listening rooms

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Smith View Post
    I actually see issues that restrict - often dramatically - the system's ultimate potential in almost every system image that I see here and on other forums. The exception might be Mike Lavigne's set-up, though without hearing it, I couldn't state it for certain. Even though he has fabulous equipment, IMO, it's not nearly as much about the equipment as it is how it works with (rather than against) the room.

    Mike Bovaird's set-up requirements are quite different, as he has multiple systems on hand to demo. Even so, of the many dealers I've visited, going way back to when I worked in Sales & Marketing at ARC, and then National Sales Mgr. at Magnepan, etc., Mike's set-ups are among the best - if not THE best - store demos I've heard. When I say best, I mean in the realm of musical involvement, not some technically-excellent-but-musically-boring set-up.

    I replied privately to Randy. There was enough to discuss (not really negative, just some insights) that I recommended to him that it'd be much more efficient if we first communicated via e-mail, and then via a brief phone call to cover the info supplied. As with most installations, some straightforward - often free - steps can be taken to lift the system's performance to a higher realm of musical involvement.

    So my reply here is that each set-up has issues, and one public reply to the owner - even if it was OK to do so - does not necessarily apply across the board to others. In retrospect, I probably shouldn't have made the post. Interestingly, it was a system shown and positively commented upon earlier in the thread that got my attention re publicly mentioning these issues, but Randy's was there when I thought of actually commenting.

    FWIW - this is one of the reasons that I created the (relatively) affordable one-on-one StraightTalk sessions:

    http://getbettersound.com/st.html

    Thanks for your question - sorry that I couldn't answer it here.




    Very thorough and understandable response.
    I am sure that Randy will be happy too.

  10. #57
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Nipomo, CA
    Posts
    2,292
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Audiophile listening rooms

    I appreciate all of the insight, opinions, and suggestions that I have received from everyone since jumping back into this crazy hobby. Getting thoughts and opinions from someone as experienced, and with the renowned reputation that Jim has is simply fantastic.

    You guys are always great! I could not ask for better input then what you all have given me ...

    Thank you to all AS members ...
    Audio Research LS17 SE, T+A DAC 8 DSD, T+A AMP 8, W4S Recovery, KEF R700, KEF R400b, KEF M500, Ayre Pono
    Oppo BDP-105, Technics ST-9030, MrSpeakers Ether, Richard Gray High Tension Power, Kimber Kable 12TC & 8VS bi-wired
    AudioQuest Niagara 1000, AudioQuest Earth XLR, AudioQuest Anaconda XLR, AudioQuest Coffee USB x2
    Pangea, Wireworld, Gingko, PS Audio, W4S, AQ, Magnum Dynalab, Roon, HQPlayer

  11. #58
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    233
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Audiophile listening rooms

    Quote Originally Posted by nc42acc View Post
    Have you noticed when you see pictures of fellow audiophiles sound rooms they are usually devoid of wall art, reasonable furniture, knick knacks and such? Most of the time I see an equipment rack and maybe some sound deadening panels or devices. Very spartan and stark to say the least. Is this because these are typically our "man caves" that the wife or significant other have no entry or say? I am not bashing this look just wondering why we never see our rooms decorated like the elaborate rooms in the audio equipment advertisements of what we typically buy. Maybe we spent all our dead presidents on the equipment and have none left for the fluff. Things that make you go hhhhmmmm.
    Here are two photos of my formal living room in an 18th century colonial house. My goal is to get the compressor for the Vibraplanes into the basement as well as perhaps the amps and stands and then run all cabling through the floor. My wife is a saint for tolerating the intrusion of the stereo system.



    Attached Images Attached Images
    My system link on WBF: http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showth...-Sublime-Sound
    My system link on Audiogon: http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr...&4&5#Peterayer
    Analog: SME 30/12, SME V-12, MSL Signature Gold, AirTight Supreme, VDH Colibri Platinum
    Electronics: Pass XA160.5, Pass XP-22, Pass XP-25
    Speakers: Magico Q3 and Mini II
    Cables: Transparent REF XL
    Essentials: Jim Smith RoomPlay, 3 Vibraplanes

  12. Likes Jim Smith, a.wayne liked this post
 

 
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6