Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Marantz NA-11S1 Reference Network Audio Player and DAC Review

It is absolute bs what naim charge for their power supplies, but , then again, that is yesterdays story

I found out that Buffalo Techonology has NAS product which supports DSD streaming via ethernet and they have DAC compatibility list where Marantz NA11S1 is in that list.

I would like to know if anyone already successfully stream DSD files to NA11S1 via ethernet.
    I am considering to buy a network streamer, but I prefer my audio setup without a pc/mac for playing DSD for simplicity reason.

Welcome to AS!

I'm interested in this also.
    Jock

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

---------

House: Naim ND555/2PS, Naim 552, Naim 500, Studer A80/Doshi V3, Magico M2s, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Lumina IC/SC, Shunyata Everest and Omega PCs.

Workshop: Naim ND555/2 PS, VAC Master Pre, VAC Sig 200iQ, Border Patrol pre/power, Avant Garde Duo Mezzo XD, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Shunyata IC/SC, Shunyata Typhon QR/Triton V3/Sigma PCs.

Audioshark

The NA11S1 Ethernet does not support DSD. I recommend investigating the Lumin. The Weiss MAN301 might also be worth while investigating.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

That's right. It's the Marantz that doesn't support it, not the NAS.

I got my hopes up for nothing.
    Jock

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

---------

House: Naim ND555/2PS, Naim 552, Naim 500, Studer A80/Doshi V3, Magico M2s, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Lumina IC/SC, Shunyata Everest and Omega PCs.

Workshop: Naim ND555/2 PS, VAC Master Pre, VAC Sig 200iQ, Border Patrol pre/power, Avant Garde Duo Mezzo XD, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Shunyata IC/SC, Shunyata Typhon QR/Triton V3/Sigma PCs.

I hope Mr. Ishiwata monitor this thread and immediately ask his programmer team to update NA11S1 firmware with ethernet DSD capability...
    NA11S1 can only display DSD songs from NAS (DSD compatible), I think it's just need one more step from Marantz to make it playable via ethernet.

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by adelphi View Post
    I hope Mr. Ishiwata monitor this thread and immediately ask his programmer team to update NA11S1 firmware with ethernet DSD capability...
    NA11S1 can only display DSD songs from NAS (DSD compatible), I think it's just need one more step from Marantz to make it playable via ethernet.
    I am fully confident he is.

Speaking of Marantz and Ken Ishiwata:

http://www.hfxsystems.com/siteimgs/HFC_KI_01-02.pdf

http://www.hfxsystems.com/siteimgs/HFC_KI_03-04.pdf
    ~ Bob ~
    "And it Stoned me to my Soul" Van Morrison
    ClickAudiophile Audition
    Snoopy as the Red Baron attack
    Avatar = The Alan Parsons Project - Eye in the Sky (1982 - orbiting)

Mike, first off a wonderful review. I have been planning a review of my own on the SA11S3, which I have had now for about 4 months. The only thing is, with two very young kids and a small house, I have not really had a chance to conclude on my opinion of both the SA11S3 and PM11S3.

My question is, how is the DAC in the NA11S1 compared to the one in the SA11S3? I know the SA11S3 doesn't do DSD, but besides that, are there huge difference between the two?

Thanks
    Tuan

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum Tuan!

Thank you for joining!
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Audioshark

Marantz NA-11S1 Reference Network Audio Player and DAC Review

Welcome Tuan. Thank you. I have not reviewed or even heard the SA11S3. I would expect a lot of similarities with high res and redbook.

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Welcome Tuan. Thank you. I have not reviewed or even heard the SA11S3. I would expect a lot of similarities with high res and redbook.
    Mike, well, I've had the Marantz SA11S2 and this S3 version is a LOT better! More air, details, micro and macro dynamics, bass extension and the lot, a little less "warm" than the S2. I think the SA11S3 uses the same DAC Chip as the NA11, however, the implementation maybe a little different.

I wanted to ask your thoughts on the MM7025. How do you like it and is the fan "hearable" from the listening position?
    Thanks

Tuan

Audioshark

Oh man, don't buy that amp. I use it only for my height speakers. It has the cheesiest speaker terminals I've ever seen. Sound wise, it's ok, but the crummy speaker terminals drive me crazy. They look like something out of a candy machine and are not effective for anything but bare wire (which is what I have to use with them).

Thanks, I don't plan to. The PM11S3 drive my speakers fine. To be honest, I had a pre/amp combo with the Pass X1 and X250 and I like the Marantz better! That's saying a lot! I was really surprise for sure!

Audioshark

Marantz makes some nice products. However, I'm definitely a Nelson Pass fan! I'm anxious to hear the new XA.8 series.

I too love the Pass stuff, but maybe I needed the X350.5, but it's way out of my price range! Would be nice to have the .8 series with say and XP20.

Mike, are you still using the NA-11S1? I don't see it in your sig anymore? How's the Meitner MA-1 compared to the Marantz?

Super Moderator

Hi Tommy!

Welcome to the forum. I love my NA-11S1.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Thanks Joe,

How would you rate the NA-11S1 compared to the EAR Acute 3?

Super Moderator

Hi Tommy,

For anything other than DSD, my EAR Acute III is absolutely perfect to me. I love it. It has a tremendous 3D sound stage and sounds so natural. I think the EAR was almost twice the price of the Marantz but well worth it in my book. It has USB and SPDIF inputs and had I known it would have been so good, I may have gone for the EAR stand alone dac instead. It's amazing.

NAD C 658 streamer.

I just purchased The NA-11s1 from Music Direct, a B-Stock unit for $2500 with warranty, 60 day trial, and free shipping. I was trying to decide between the Marantz and a Cary DAC 100t. I have read where people prefer that Marantz over the Cary. The 100t does not do DSD which was another consideration. I would really like to get the Cary 200t as it does wireless streaming but it is a little more than I want to spend. I will probably get a wireless access point so I can stream Pandora etc.
    My Gear- Mains System-Pass X250 amp, BAT VK-51se preamp, Luxman DA-06 DAC, Magnepan 1.6's, Thorens TD-145 TT, Dual Martin Logan Subs, Vintage Luxman T-110 Tuner, Cables-WW Platinum 7 USB, Cardas Parsec XLR, AQ Columbia DBS 72v XLR, Belden 8402 XLR.

Super Moderator

Congratulations! That's a great DAC. I miss mine. I should have kept it.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Thanks Joe. I will post a review in May after I get back from Axopona and I get my BAT preamp back. I am replacing all 12 of the output caps. I bought them directly from Jensen in Denmark and should have them in 2 days. BAT wanted $900 for all 12. Jensen makes the caps for BAT and is only asking $270 that includes shipping. I have a friend that repairs audio gear that is doing the work for free. The BAT was making a pop through the speakers when you would switch inputs or turn off the unit and it was becoming annoying. The newer caps are more reliable and should not have the same failure rate.

Larry
    My Gear- Mains System-Pass X250 amp, BAT VK-51se preamp, Luxman DA-06 DAC, Magnepan 1.6's, Thorens TD-145 TT, Dual Martin Logan Subs, Vintage Luxman T-110 Tuner, Cables-WW Platinum 7 USB, Cardas Parsec XLR, AQ Columbia DBS 72v XLR, Belden 8402 XLR.

The Marantz gets delivered on Thursday. Any tips on how to stream wireless from my computer?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team