Roon Keeps Improving... - Page 2
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Roon Keeps Improving...

I tried HQPlayer but found I preferred to let my Rossini handle my files.
    Jim

D'Agostino Momentum M-400's & Pre-amp
    Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2 speakers
    Digital: dCS Rossini & Clock
    Analog: SME 20/3 with Esoteric E-03 Phono
    Transparent Opus Speaker Cable & Interconnects, PC - Transparent Reference Powerlink MM2x
    Power: Shunyata Denali

Post Thanks / Like

Does your dCS have a playback application or do you use some other software package? Just asking because I do not know ....
    Audio Research LS17 SE, T+A DAC 8 DSD, T+A AMP 8, W4S Recovery, KEF R700, KEF R400b, KEF M500, Ayre Pono
    Oppo BDP-105, Technics ST-9030, MrSpeakers Ether, Richard Gray High Tension Power, Kimber Kable 12TC & 8VS bi-wired
    AudioQuest Niagara 1000, AudioQuest Earth XLR, AudioQuest Anaconda XLR, AudioQuest Coffee USB x2
    Pangea, Wireworld, Gingko, PS Audio, W4S, AQ, Magnum Dynalab, Roon, HQPlayer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Myers View Post
    Does your dCS have a playback application or do you use some other software package? Just asking because I do not know ....
    It has its own app which can be used to play music but the best part is you can also adjust just about all your settings from the app. You can select from multiple filters, choose if you want DXD or DSD upsampling, phase swap and more all from the app. I don't use the app for music as I much prefer Roon for that.
    Jim

D'Agostino Momentum M-400's & Pre-amp
    Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2 speakers
    Digital: dCS Rossini & Clock
    Analog: SME 20/3 with Esoteric E-03 Phono
    Transparent Opus Speaker Cable & Interconnects, PC - Transparent Reference Powerlink MM2x
    Power: Shunyata Denali

Post Thanks / Like

The SQ of the s/w based up-sampling really depends on the DAC and how its designed.

For some DACs, like PS Audio, the s/w up-sampling is just redundant (you are doing up-sampling twice), while for some it kills the SQ, like the Dave and for some it benefits. For DACs that have an internal SRC, s/w based up-sampling can have excellent result if there is a way to bypass it. For DACs if they have an excellent implementation of SRC, like DS or Dave or as Jim suggested in the above post with his Rossini, up-sampling yields no additional benefit and can be detrimental to SQ. So its not necessary that up-sampling in Roon (or other s/w) is required or necessary always.

While s/w based up-sampling can have great results and one can easily choose filters/modulators to their liking with few clicks on a button, it must to used in correct topology - try to isolate the up-sampling server from DAC by not connecting it directly and introduce a high quality streamer in between. This is necessary since up-sampling means high CPU utilization, which means more high freq circuits at play and hence more noise - introducing a streamer will decouple it. In my setup, I use a server and streamer both running Roon - while the server up-samples, the streamer interfaces the DAC is decoupled by optical networking.

5. Thanks Mike thanked for this post
    Likes Mike, Nikhil liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Devg View Post
    The SQ of the s/w based up-sampling really depends on the DAC and how its designed.

For some DACs, like PS Audio, the s/w up-sampling is just redundant (you are doing up-sampling twice), while for some it kills the SQ, like the Dave and for some it benefits. For DACs that have an internal SRC, s/w based up-sampling can have excellent result if there is a way to bypass it. For DACs if they have an excellent implementation of SRC, like DS or Dave or as Jim suggested in the above post with his Rossini, up-sampling yields no additional benefit and can be detrimental to SQ. So its not necessary that up-sampling in Roon (or other s/w) is required or necessary always.

While s/w based up-sampling can have great results and one can easily choose filters/modulators to their liking with few clicks on a button, it must to used in correct topology - try to isolate the up-sampling server from DAC by not connecting it directly and introduce a high quality streamer in between. This is necessary since up-sampling means high CPU utilization, which means more high freq circuits at play and hence more noise - introducing a streamer will decouple it. In my setup, I use a server and streamer both running Roon - while the server up-samples, the streamer interfaces the DAC is decoupled by optical networking.
    Certainly a lot of information that I did not know about. Thank you for sharing. FWIW, i am waiting for a new DAC that can handle and benefits from s/w upsampling (can do DSD512). I am looking forward to that.

Post Thanks / Like

I run HQ player through Roon, so as far as I know, all Roon does is catalog my music and get me to Tidal. I don't hear Roon as a sonic feature.
    First Sound Mark3SI preamp, Altec Lansing 1570B modded by Transition Audio Design and myself, Mojo Audio Server running Win Server 2016 AO HQ and Roon, Mojo Audio Mystic 3 DAC, Custom TT with Vertere Arm, Allnic H1201 phono pre, Pure Audio Project Trio 10 with performance Solen air core chokes and Mundord Supreme oil caps, Power via 10 awg OFC cord from panel to custom distribution strip. Inakustik speaker and interconnect cables.

Post Thanks / Like

This is my understanding also. Roon is the controller and organizer with fantastic meta data, etc., but in turn hands off your chosen music to HQPlayer to up-sample/render. HQPlayer is the play back engine.
    Audio Research LS17 SE, T+A DAC 8 DSD, T+A AMP 8, W4S Recovery, KEF R700, KEF R400b, KEF M500, Ayre Pono
    Oppo BDP-105, Technics ST-9030, MrSpeakers Ether, Richard Gray High Tension Power, Kimber Kable 12TC & 8VS bi-wired
    AudioQuest Niagara 1000, AudioQuest Earth XLR, AudioQuest Anaconda XLR, AudioQuest Coffee USB x2

Post Thanks / Like

I don't upsample ever. Not on my machines.
    First Sound Mark3SI preamp, Altec Lansing 1570B modded by Transition Audio Design and myself, Mojo Audio Server running Win Server 2016 AO HQ and Roon, Mojo Audio Mystic 3 DAC, Custom TT with Vertere Arm, Allnic H1201 phono pre, Pure Audio Project Trio 10 with performance Solen air core chokes and Mundord Supreme oil caps, Power via 10 awg OFC cord from panel to custom distribution strip. Inakustik speaker and interconnect cables.

Post Thanks / Like

HQPlayer is a great playback engine weather you up-sample or not. Roon is the best controller... therefore, an excellent combination that works fantastic together.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't believe one is better than other, weather you up-sample or not. Its all setup & DAC dependent.

I was an avid HQP user (along with Jplay) at one point but after Roon introduction of sox modulator, the SQ advantage is all gone in my setup as my DAC is designed for DSD bypass mode. When I use the other DAC, PSA DS, I don't up-sample and there is no SQ difference between Roon and HQP - I have taken great measures to isolate PC noise from the DAC though.

On library management part, I agree there is nothing like Roon today hands down. PS Audio is coming up with their music s/w - both player and library manager and their design goal is to do something even better than Roon, though it will be closed end system initially.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast