Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Where does it all go in the end?

From time to time my wife and I will have another couple over and decide to all go up to my listening room. Every one always seems to have a good time and we stay up much to late and have more wine than normal.

My wife doesn't spend time in the music room other than when friends are over as it is not really her interest other than its a social funcion. The thing that has come up a day or two after a listening session is, "What should I do with your equipment once your are gone".

I am only 65 and have no intentions of going anywhere soon, but I will always have an audio system. It is not asked in a morbid way. She just wonders what I would want.

Every thing we have is covered in our will and trust but nothing specific about my audio equipment.

We don't have any children but do have 11 siblings and 55 nieces and nephews. Even with that I don't think any have an serious interest in this hobby with the exception of possibly a niece that has just married into the family. She is an acoustic engeneer for Harmon International in the auto industry. She and her family live 1500 miles away and we have not seen a lot of each other since first meeting 2 years ago.

And, no I am not interested in adopting and of you. :-)

I've told my wife I'm fine if she were to give it to a family member or a friend that would put it to use or help them move their hobby along.

Have any of you thought of this and where will it go?

I don't mean for this to be a depressing thread but it's one of those unavoidable things.
    Synology 1019D+ - SGC Sonictransporter I9 w Roon/HQ Player- UltraRendu- PBD Stream IF to Playback Designs MPS5 via fiber optic - ARC 40th Anniversary Pre - ARC 610 T's - Martin Logan CLX's - 4 Martin Logan Depth i Subs - Shunyata Hydra, DIY PCOCC interconnects, speaker cables and power cords with Furutech terminations. Blue Jean CAT 6's between front end equipment.
    LHY FMC and Corning Fiber to rebuilt LHY SW-6 switch in listening room.
    Acoustically treated room with one permanent chair.

Audioshark

Re: Where does it all go in the end?

Quote Originally Posted by brad225 View Post
    From time to time my wife and I will have another couple over and decide to all go up to my listening room. Every one always seems to have a good time and we stay up much to late and have more wine than normal.

My wife doesn't spend time in the music room other than when friends are over as it is not really her interest other than its a social funcion. The thing that has come up a day or two after a listening session is, "What should I do with your equipment once your are gone".

I am only 65 and have no intentions of going anywhere soon, but I will always have an audio system. It is not asked in a morbid way. She just wonders what I would want.

Every thing we have is covered in our will and trust but nothing specific about my audio equipment.

We don't have any children but do have 11 siblings and 55 nieces and nephews. Even with that I don't think any have an serious interest in this hobby with the exception of possibly a niece that has just married into the family. She is an acoustic engeneer for Harmon International in the auto industry. She and her family live 1500 miles away and we have not seen a lot of each other since first meeting 2 years ago.

And, no I am not interested in adopting and of you. :-)

I've told my wife I'm fine if she were to give it to a family member or a friend that would put it to use or help them move their hobby along.

Have any of you thought of this and where will it go?

I don't mean for this to be a depressing thread but it's one of those unavoidable things.
    Definitely not a fun conversation, but definitely an important one. Mark (MDP) and myself just went through this with David’s widow. David was a dealer in Texas and Mark and I were very close to him.

David’s wife ended up selling all the gear for about 30 cents on the dollar to a west coast dealer.

I’ve also witnessed this with a few others and what I found is that audiophile friends helped the widow get the most for the gear and music collection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Unfortunately it usually turns into a fire sale netting 30 cents or so on the dollar.
    I've seen the same thing happen many times in the Ham radio clubs for a "silent key".
    Even with club members and friends pitching in.
    Perhaps there is an opportunity for a broker to liquidate such items from an estate. Providing a valuable service.
    My System
    Acoustic Revive RTP-4
    Innuos Pulsar
    Lampizator BALTIC4
    Cary SLP-05
    Pass XA30.5 or
    Line Magnetic 845ia
    Reference 3A Reflector's
    Pr SVS SB3000 Subs
    Cables & Tubes "subject to change without notification".
    Complete system on battery power/solar
    Core Audio Design Rack
    DIY bass traps and custom curved diffusors.

Audioshark

My friend Bart runs this site. Complete concierge selling service (he deals with all the hassle!).

https://playitagainaudio.com

This would be good in this circumstances, but also for those who don’t like dealing with the hassles of selling used gear.

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

I have one daughter with little interest in the system. She appreciates the sound quality, but would never maintain a system this big and complicated. I’m only 56, but suspect I’ll downsize over the years so that she isn’t left with the burden of selling all this stuff (and likely getting taken in the process).

Now, what about my fishing reels? They’re built for the generations too and she has even less interest in them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Amplification: DartZeel 468 (2) // DartZeel NHB18NS Mk. II
    Tuner: MagnumDynalab 108T/SE
    Table/Cart: J.Sikora Reference // Integrity HiFi Tru-Glider - DSAudio GrandMaster EX // Integrity HiFI Tru-Glider - Ortofon A Mono
    Equalizer/Phono Pre: DSAudio Master3
    Speakers: TAD R-1 MkII, REL Six Pack of REL Carbon Specials
    Power: Nordost QBase8 Mk3, QX4, Qkore1, 3 and 6 (chassis), QK1 (2), QV2 (2), Chord GroundAray (signal), Chord Line Aray (3), Chord Professional, AddPOWR EAU2 (2)
    DAC/Serv-stream: LampiZator Horizon/ Taiko Extreme
    Elrod Master Statement Diamond SE Speaker Cables
    Elrod Master Statement Diamond PCs (7), Evolution Acoustics 50 ohm (Zeel Connection), Nordost Odin2 IC (2), Nordost Valhalla II USB, CH Acoustic X20 IC, Final Touch Audio Elara PCs (6)
    AudioDesk Systeme RCM
    CMS Ultra 2.0 Footers TT (2) and TD (2), Revopods (2) and SortKones and EVPs where they work
    Critical Mass Systems Ultra-Q Rack > Silence Focus Amp Stands

Quote Originally Posted by Hounddog View Post
    I have one daughter with little interest in the system. She appreciates the sound quality, but would never maintain a system this big and complicated. I’m only 56, but suspect I’ll downsize over the years so that she isn’t left with the burden of selling all this stuff (and likely getting taken in the process).

Now, what about my fishing reels? They’re built for the generations too and she has even less interest in them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    I also have a daughter and I'm 57. She has a lot of interest in music growing up with me but not in the gear itself. She would be happy with a simple system.

I had a good friend who passed away just a few weeks ago now. His wife knows nothing at all about his gear so I offered to sell it for her. She of course is very happy about that and I'm making sure she gets what the gear is worth. This has caused the same conversation you are having now in that my wife has no idea what to do with my equipment nor what any of it is worth. I told her to contact a couple of my audio friends and have them help her sell it. Since she has seen what I'm doing for my friends wife it all makes sense to her now.

I think this is probably the best solution, give your partner the name of an audio friend and and give him a heads up. That way it is taken care of before you are gone and takes the burden off of the person left behind.

Greg

Very depressing topic. Maybe one advice is don’t keep upgrading as you age.

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by Greg F View Post
    I also have a daughter and I'm 57. She has a lot of interest in music growing up with me but not in the gear itself. She would be happy with a simple system.

I had a good friend who passed away just a few weeks ago now. His wife knows nothing at all about his gear so I offered to sell it for her. She of course is very happy about that and I'm making sure she gets what the gear is worth. This has caused the same conversation you are having now in that my wife has no idea what to do with my equipment nor what any of it is worth. I told her to contact a couple of my audio friends and have them help her sell it. Since she has seen what I'm doing for my friends wife it all makes sense to her now.

I think this is probably the best solution, give your partner the name of an audio friend and and give him a heads up. That way it is taken care of before you are gone and takes the burden off of the person left behind.

Greg
    Sorry to hear of your loss.

I think you handled it best.

My son and daughter are both interested so no issue there. What my wife every so often asks me to do is catalog my LP's and include how much each one is worth. She said she wouldn't know if the LP is worth $1.00 or $1,000.00. I have to admit it is a good idea but to look at cataloging a few thousand LP's is daunting to say the least.

I might just start with the collectible ones.
    Paul

Speakers: Von Schweikert VR-5 Anniversary MK II Front L/R, LCR-35 Center, VR-1 Rear L/R Sub: JL Audio F113
    Amps: PS Audio BHK Signature 300 Mono, McIntosh MC207 Pre-Amp PS Audio BHK Signature and Gold Note PH-10 Phono Stage/PSU-10 Power Supply
    Turntable: VPI HR-X 12.7 TONEARM (2) and SDS, Stillpoints LPI
    Tape Deck Otari 5050B II2
    Music Server: Aurender N100H
    Cartridges: Ortofon Cadenza Black, Lyra Helikon Mono Digital Source: Oppo UDP-205 DAC: Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE
    SSP: Marantz AV8801 Cables: Wireworld Electra 7 (P) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7, Shunyata Delta NR (I) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 (S)
    Wireworld Platinum Starlight 7 (USB)
    AC Power Regeneration: PS Audio DirectStream P15 Power Plant and Shunyata Denali 6000s V2.

Not a problem for me....either one of my sons would be glad to get their hands on my equipment!
    Rance

Synology DS411+II | GigaFOILv4 + Keces P3 Power Supply | Shunyata Alpha Ethernet | Lumin S1 | VAC Master Line Stage | VAC Signature 200 iQ amps | Kharma Elegance dB11-S | SVS PC-4000 subs x 2 | Shunyata 6000/T v2 | Kharma Elegance signal cables| Luminous Audio Technology power cables | Isoacoustics OREA vibration isolators | Solid Tech racks | Vicoustic room treatments | Acoustic Sciences Corporation IsoWall + IsoCeiling construction

My wife knows that my dealer will liquidate it for her.
    Jim

D'Agostino Momentum M-400's MxV’s & HD Pre-amp
    Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2 speakers
    Digital: dCS Vivaldi APEX DAC, Clock & Upsampler
    Analog: SME 20/3 with Esoteric E-03 Phono
    Transparent Opus Speaker Cable & Interconnects & Opus Power Cords
    Power Cords on Digital: Shunyata
    Power Conditioner - Shunyata Everest

I told my wife she should sell what she could. My son would take care of it butI'm not sure how deep his interest is. I'm hoping maybe a grandchild or one of my daughter's might show some interest before the issue comes up. If no one to really appreciate it, liquidating to cash seems the next best option for a survivor.

Then I'm thinking, how long would something like a 70+ pound amp sit at Goodwill, LOL How long would it take for someone to recognize what it was. Could you imagine a set of MBL speakers at Goodwill? What the ...... are those

My youngest daughter is 7, she will sit and listen if I we take turns selecting tracks, so maybe some hope. My grandson plays trumpet in school, still seems more interested in video games than good sound.
    Aurender ACS10 w/Audioquest Diamond USB, Esoteric N05xd
    Mark Levinson #526, 534 & JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart
    Clarus Concerto & their Crimson cables

HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent, Analysis Plus & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP
    Parasound P6, MBL 8006b, Artisan speakers/subwoofer

Quote Originally Posted by Alectiong View Post
    Very depressing topic. Maybe one advice is don’t keep upgrading as you age.

That is actually what I plan on doing. I turn 60 this year and in 7-10 years I will down size my system to a Integrated amp and smaller speakers.
    I am lucky in that my son is into audio and has all my hand me down gear and he will inherit a great system.
    My Gear- Mains System-Pass X250 amp, BAT VK-51se preamp, Luxman DA-06 DAC, Magnepan 1.6's, Thorens TD-145 TT, Dual Martin Logan Subs, Vintage Luxman T-110 Tuner, Cables-WW Platinum 7 USB, Cardas Parsec XLR, AQ Columbia DBS 72v XLR, Belden 8402 XLR.

I just turned 74 so I am dealing with lots of material things that need to go away before I croak. My main focus are shelves of items I have not touched in years. My estate is willed to a University. I guess I have come to the decision to not obsess over where the items I cherish go.

Quote Originally Posted by Audiophilehi View Post
    My son and daughter are both interested so no issue there. What my wife every so often asks me to do is catalog my LP's and include how much each one is worth. She said she wouldn't know if the LP is worth $1.00 or $1,000.00. I have to admit it is a good idea but to look at cataloging a few thousand LP's is daunting to say the least.

I might just start with the collectible ones.
    I’m slowly trying to catalog my collection via Discogs (they have a bar scanner function for those pieces with a bar code). I likely won’t finish any time soon, if ever.

Love the idea to leave the name of an audio buddy to help sell it. Revealing what the stuff costs when new is ... not an option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Table/Cart: J.Sikora Reference // Integrity HiFi Tru-Glider - DSAudio GrandMaster EX // Integrity HiFI Tru-Glider - Ortofon A Mono
    Power: Nordost QBase8 Mk3, QX4, Qkore1, 3 and 6 (chassis), QK1 (2), QV2 (2), Chord GroundAray (signal), Chord Line Aray (3), Chord Professional, AddPOWR EAU2 (2)
    Elrod Master Statement Diamond PCs (7), Evolution Acoustics 50 ohm (Zeel Connection), Nordost Odin2 IC (2), Nordost Valhalla II USB, CH Acoustic X20 IC, Final Touch Audio Elara PCs (6)
    AudioDesk Systeme RCM
    CMS Ultra 2.0 Footers TT (2) and TD (2), Revopods (2) and SortKones and EVPs where they work

In the event that I should pass away before Marlene, I have left her a list of individuals who may be interested in my audio gear. She will most likely leave the living room system intact to maintain the look and feel of that room. The recording studio equipment, two channel studio sound system, and the home theater system represents money in the bank for her if she wishes to liquidate it. She can make that decision when the time comes.

My prayer is that I outlive Marlene so that I can continue to take care of her through her final day. She can no longer drive due to macular degeneration. I have been her chauffeur for the past five years due to her gradually failing eyesight. In addition, I am considerably more proficient at taking care of business and finances, maintaining this home and property, and handling any necessary repairs. It would be beneficial for Marlene that I outlive her. Either way, the inevitable faces all of us.
    Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital coax,
    Sonos Connect, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Ultra Mini, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205 Signal Sleuth, Sonos Connect, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable,
    Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40 w/m505A tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Stillpoints Ultra Mini, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh 4300V, McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

I have an idea !! How about we , "pair up" with people and have a first to die beneficiary. I like the Accuphase gear a few posts ago. If I die first, he can have my set up, if he goes before me, I inherit the Accuphase.....Spooky , but at least we'll know the a fellow enthusiast will get and appreciate our gear!!
    T+A MP3100HV, T+A PA3100HV. Custom made Furutech cables with ETP-609 distributor with NCF outlets, Harbeth 40.2 Anniversaries.

When I retired a decade ago, my wife's concern was my record and tape collection. So I did something about it. I posted this a few days ago explaining what I did with my 15K+ records and 1K+ tapes.

http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...888#post242888

Equipment is another story. My daughter and son-in-law could take some of the choice pieces, but they would need a bigger house to fit anything substantial (like my Avantgarde speakers.). We also have two grand pianos!

Larry
    Analog-VPIClassic3-3DArm,Lyra Skala+MiyajimaZeroMono,2xAmpex ATR-102,Otari MX5050B2, Merrill Trident Tape Preamp, Herron VTPH-2A&BottleheadPhonoPre,
    Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacificMicroso nicsModel2 AD
    Dig Play-Lampi Horizon, mch NADAC Roon/HQPlayer,Oppo105
    Electronics-DoshiPre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps
    Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
    Other-512 Engineering Tim Marutani Symmetrical Power IsoTrans and cables,AudioDiskVinylCleaner,
    Music-2.3KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs,60TBripped files

I spoke with my adult children about this two years ago. I'm 59 now and my living trust states to contact my friend who's an local audio dealer to sell my gear if I should die. I told him also. Neither of my kids has the room or desire for my system. Knowing my daughter she'll keep my music collection. I did the opposite when retiring and went for an all out dream system. I will not deny myself the pleasure of music on good equipment now. I downsized once years ago when I divorced, never again.
    Source component-Esoteric K-01X
    Preamp-
    Audio Research Reference 10
    Amplifier- ​D'Agostino Progression monoblocks
    Speakers-
    Wilson Audio Maxx 3
    Isolation stand-HRS SXR
    Cables-Transparent Reference speaker and Super I/C's.
    Power conditioning-Transparent Power Isolator and Transparent power cords
    Room treatment-Vicoustics

I'm going to be buried with my destination system to enjoy my favorite music for eternity. Just have to arrange for the dedicated power lines!

My hope is, to give my equipment to someone that will enjoy it. I appear to not be alone in not having a family member that would give it a new home.
    Synology 1019D+ - SGC Sonictransporter I9 w Roon/HQ Player- UltraRendu- PBD Stream IF to Playback Designs MPS5 via fiber optic - ARC 40th Anniversary Pre - ARC 610 T's - Martin Logan CLX's - 4 Martin Logan Depth i Subs - Shunyata Hydra, DIY PCOCC interconnects, speaker cables and power cords with Furutech terminations. Blue Jean CAT 6's between front end equipment.
    LHY FMC and Corning Fiber to rebuilt LHY SW-6 switch in listening room.
    Acoustically treated room with one permanent chair.

This is a topic that requires serious conversation with spouses; specially for very expensive equipment and large music collections. Like other assets, having a good and detailed plan with written instructions would be very helpful to the surviving spouse/partner/family member.

My 2 cents.

Mike

Amplification: MBL 6010D, MBL 9008A Monos
    Analog: Kuzma R, Kuzma 4Point (11”), MSL Ultra Eminent EX
    Phono Pre: Pass XP-27
    Digital: Esoteric N01XD Esoteric K05
    Speakers: MBL 101E MKII
    Subwoofers: REL Carbon Specials
    Conditioner: Shunyata Triton 3
    Power Cables: Shunyata Sigma 1 & 2, Alpha 2, Delta and Venom
    ICs and SCs: Wireworld Platinum 8
    Rack: Artesania Exoteryc

Dan, there are a lot of aids that can help your wife in day to day things. Talking clocks, microwaves and the like, hand held or table top magnification devices, they use a camera to read the text and show it on a screen, you can adjust size color etc. There's websites with stuff I probably don't know exist. You can get money readers. If you haven't explored, phones have "accessibility" in settings, you can adjust the icons and different items, or, just have what's on the screen read by using a finger. She can still be independent if so desired. I have software on my computer to read.

You may know all that, but, if I can help, let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
    In the event that I should pass away before Marlene, I have left her a list of individuals who may be interested in my audio gear. She will most likely leave the living room system intact to maintain the look and feel of that room. The recording studio equipment, two channel studio sound system, and the home theater system represents money in the bank for her if she wishes to liquidate it. She can make that decision when the time comes.

My prayer is that I outlive Marlene so that I can continue to take care of her through her final day. She can no longer drive due to macular degeneration. I have been her chauffeur for the past five years due to her gradually failing eyesight. In addition, I am considerably more proficient at taking care of business and finances, maintaining this home and property, and handling any necessary repairs. It would be beneficial for Marlene that I outlive her. Either way, the inevitable faces all of us.

SVS PC13 Ultra
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP

I know a few guys who talk about "down sizing" the system at some point. I personally don't see a point in that. I'm with Sharp 2160, I want to enjoy my system to the end. On the other hand, I'll not say never, but I don't plan to buy another 100+ pound amp again, LOL

SVS PC13 Ultra
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP

Well, I know my wife would not want to deal with the equipment as she has stated she has NO interest at all in dealing with my "audio stuff", including the HT system. My daughters are not interested although they love music and have already spoken for a couple of old Martins I have. Interesting though how easy it is to redirect my other hobbies, like my golf equipment to my son-in-law, my camera equipment to my younger daughter, all my fishing equipment to my brother. I guess "hi-end- audio equipment just doesn't interest the majority of people.
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

Depressing thread, I am going to find a younger forum

My 63 year old neighbor who looked 15 years younger and was the picture of health just died suddenly this week. That really brings home the point of this thread.
    My Gear- Mains System-Pass X250 amp, BAT VK-51se preamp, Luxman DA-06 DAC, Magnepan 1.6's, Thorens TD-145 TT, Dual Martin Logan Subs, Vintage Luxman T-110 Tuner, Cables-WW Platinum 7 USB, Cardas Parsec XLR, AQ Columbia DBS 72v XLR, Belden 8402 XLR.

We never really own anything. We simply stand guard on it until we pass. All of us inevitably leave this Earth, everything else stays behind for the next guard.
    Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital coax,
    Sonos Connect, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Ultra Mini, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205 Signal Sleuth, Sonos Connect, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable,
    Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40 w/m505A tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Stillpoints Ultra Mini, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh 4300V, McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

As long as either my wife or I are alive, it is not an issue as she enjoys and uses our system as much as I do. However, I never thought of this question as to once we are both gone. I guess it is time to update our wills/trusts and/or at least figure out an order of operation as to who would derive enjoyment out of it and thus give it to them.
    Front End: MSB Select II DAC, MSB Reference Transport, Magnum Dynalab MD107T, Aiwa AD-F990
    Amplification: Dan D'Agostino Momentum HD Preamplifier & Momentum M400 MxV Monoblocks, Crown XLS 2502 (x3) (subwoofers)
    Speakers: Scaena La Maitresse Ultime Loudspeaker System
    Cables: Shunyata Aeros Aurora-SP, Shunyata Aeros Aurora-IC, Jungson Golden Dragon
    Power: GigaWatt PC-4 EVO+, GigaWatt LS-2HCEVO, Jungson Pure Power, JPS Labs AC+, Transparent HPPC
    Miscellaneous: ​Bohmer/Legacy Audio Wavelet DSP/Room Correction

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada

True, none of us really own anything. Someone else owns something else ...

We come we go, when we came we came nude, no passport, no cards, no nothing but a cable from the belly button plugged to the main power source. When we went we went dressed inside a box, wireless, Wi-Fi, some underground, others spread to the four corners, to the winds, to the ocean ...
    The ones that came before us, our ancestors, they had similar destinies, with their living times.
    The ones that came after us, our great great great grandchildren, they are outliving some of us. They inherited the connection, the interconnect, the cable of life.

We don't own really anything, but life given from that feed, that cable plugged to the main power transformer, the life source...to our mothers and fathers, sparkles of life. That's what we too give, what was given to us and what we truly own...life.

What we leave when we die is only what we truly own, what we fought for all our lives, ...
    ~ Bob ~
    "And it Stoned me to my Soul" Van Morrison
    ClickAudiophile Audition
    Snoopy as the Red Baron attack
    Avatar = The Alan Parsons Project - Eye in the Sky (1982 - orbiting)

Quote Originally Posted by Ritmo View Post
    This is a topic that requires serious conversation with spouses; specially for very expensive equipment and large music collections. Like other assets, having a good and detailed plan with written instructions would be very helpful to the surviving spouse/partner/family member.

My 2 cents.
    I must respectfully disagree. Face it when your dead, you will hopefully be remembered for all the good you did. Why rock the boat when alive. If I sat down and did estate planning with my wife/kids and my wife in particular ACTUALLY SAW what I paid for this stuff, my funeral would come much sooner than expected.

At least when your dead, #1 you won't have to take sh-t for all you "wasted" and #2 at least for the time of mourning, no one is going to criticize you for the money "wasted" and #3 once the estate is divided up, it will be a nice surprise.

While I am still breathing and my mind still works, there is NO WAY, I am opening up Pandora's box. I want to spend whatever time I have left on this earth in peace.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Audioshark

Agreed. You can’t take it with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Priaptor View Post
    I must respectfully disagree. Face it when your dead, you will hopefully be remembered for all the good you did. Why rock the boat when alive. If I sat down and did estate planning with my wife/kids and my wife in particular ACTUALLY SAW what I paid for this stuff, my funeral would come much sooner than expected.

At least when your dead, #1 you won't have to take sh-t for all you "wasted" and #2 at least for the time of mourning, no one is going to criticize you for the money "wasted" and #3 once the estate is divided up, it will be a nice surprise.

While I am still breathing and my mind still works, there is NO WAY, I am opening up Pandora's box. I want to spend whatever time I have left on this earth in peace.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
    In life, we deal with challenges in different ways. I choose to have clarity and transparency. I don’t find this to be a difficult issue to deal with. However, I don’t want to put my wife through the process of having to deal with this set of decisions.

Now, let’s enjoy some 🎶 ...

Mike

In life, we deal with challenges in different ways. I choose to have clarity and transparency. I don’t find this to be a difficult issue to deal with. However, I don’t want to put my wife through the process of having to deal with this set of decisions.

Now, let’s enjoy some �� ...
    I share all with my wife EXCEPT what I spend on audio, and a few other toys like my boat, my dock renovation, etc.

When she sees the boxes coming and going, speakers coming and going, she just shakes her head and says, "I don't want to know" so as far as I'm concerned I'm acceding to her wishes.

One of the greatest gifts my father gave me was a meticulously organized set of financial records when he died. He found out he had terminal cancer a month before he died. He had always kept very good records, but in that month, he organized them so that when I arrived at their home, everything was in order. I went with my mom to the local bank and she opened the safe deposit box (of course, not saying anything about my father dying) and together with his records and a copy of the Wall Street Journal with the stock prices of when he died, I had just about everything I needed for his estate evaluation, which took me less than a day to do. The only thing missing was an appraisal of their home (not in a community property state) which a local realtor friend did within a few days.

Contrast that with a family friend who passed away about the same time. He left all his financial records in a large number of grocery bags, stuffed with papers of all sorts, important and not. The only clue is that they were consecutively numbered. His children, a lawyer and a CPA took the better part of six months to untangle all the records.

Larry
    Analog-VPIClassic3-3DArm,Lyra Skala+MiyajimaZeroMono,2xAmpex ATR-102,Otari MX5050B2, Merrill Trident Tape Preamp, Herron VTPH-2A&BottleheadPhonoPre,
    Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacificMicroso nicsModel2 AD
    Dig Play-Lampi Horizon, mch NADAC Roon/HQPlayer,Oppo105
    Electronics-DoshiPre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps
    Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
    Other-512 Engineering Tim Marutani Symmetrical Power IsoTrans and cables,AudioDiskVinylCleaner,
    Music-2.3KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs,60TBripped files

I have no delusions that anyone wants my audio system. Despite the value, in the larger scheme of the estate, thankfully, it doesn't matter. It's far as can be from a family treasure with history and emotional significance. I'm just happy knowing if I die tomorrow, everyone will be taken care of. Thank God!

I can't imagine not telling my wife what I spent on audio equipment. Both of us are in this together "until death do us part". I do wish she had more expensive hobbies sometimes. I am happy she likes to travel the world with me, loves a good dinner out, and drinks more than her fair share of a nice bottle of wine every now and then!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Agreed. You can’t take it with you.
    You would be surprised what people are buried with.
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by CPP View Post
    You would be surprised what people are buried with.
    Yes. VTSkier (Jon) says he’s going to be buried with his Raidho C4.1’s. Or was that in the C4.1’s? Can’t remember.

It’s not because he loves them either. Where does it all go in the end?

I am going to turn the tables. What happens if the wife dies before you, what do you do with all the coach purses, jewelry and hundred pair of expensive shoes?

There’s an idea. Prop my head on the pre amp and my feet on the mono blocks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    AudioDesk Systeme RCM

mauidan

Quote Originally Posted by Mechnutt View Post
    I am going to turn the tables. What happens if the wife dies before you, what do you do with all the coach purses, jewelry and hundred pair of expensive shoes?
    My wife died last year.

Other than her wedding ring, everything went to our daughter and two granddaughters.

Quote Originally Posted by Mechnutt View Post
    The same thing your wife would do with your stuff; make room for more purses, high heeled shoes, pot plants, family pictures, flowers, Christian Dior wardrobe, jewelry, soaps, perfumes, ...all that woman jazz.

She'd sell all your gear, music LPs, ...to the highest bidder on eBay, and with the money buy a better car, a Tesla Roadster.
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

Quote Originally Posted by mauidan View Post
    My wife died last year.

Other than her wedding ring, everything went to our daughter and two granddaughters.
    I didn't know that Dan, my sincere condolences.
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

Quote Originally Posted by mauidan View Post
    My wife died last year.

Dan.......I am sorry to hear this news. God bless her soul. May she rest in peace.
    Dan

To both Dans - Sorry about your loses. Never easy to deal with a love one passing.

Mike - Not clear to me there is much more value on this particular thread. Suggest you put this one to rest - no pun intended.

Mike

Audioshark

To both Dans - Sorry about your loses. Never easy to deal with a love one passing.

Mike - Not clear to me there is much more value on this particular thread. Suggest you put this one to rest - no pun intended.
    Agreed on all accounts.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team