Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AMP8

AMP8

I am seriously considering getting a T+A AMP8 to go along with my DAC8 DSD. Absolutely love the DAC!!!

I have the new PS Audio M700's. They are pretty nice amps and sound great. However, even though I cannot put my finger on it they just are not giving me the warm and fuzzy feeling. The DAC8 DSD does so in spades!

Has anyone tried this amp? The reviewers are saying that it basically is a direct trickle down from their higher amps in a small lower power variety. Fine by me... if anything the M700's have way too much power. I just do not use it and have to find ways to reduce the gain in order to have more control from my pre-amp.

Opinions are very much welcomed....
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Re: AMP8

I think you'll like it, and the amp may have some synergy with your DAC. It seems they make exceptional products.
    T+A MP3100HV, T+A PA3100HV. Custom made Furutech cables with ETP-609 distributor with NCF outlets, Harbeth 40.2 Anniversaries.

Randy

No mention anywhere in their specs of input sensitivity so it may or may not solve you high gain issue with the ARC.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Here is from their manual. I do not understand how gain works in the interaction between pre and the amp. If I am reading this correct the the spec is 1.4v.

I could have this incorrect though. Would this be good or bad?

McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Super Moderator

Mike wants me to try the T+A gear. He thinks it’s my kind of sound. Build quality looks awesome. I might have to give into temptation.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Hehe Joe. The DAC has impressed the heck out of me. I am thinking their little amp may do the trick for me. They seem like a company doing things the right way!

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Myers View Post
    Opinions are very much welcomed....
    > in terms of the gain, have you enabled the volume control on the dac8 dsd so as to reduce the line-level voltage being sent to the pre-amp? might be something to try.

> with respect to the PSA M700s, the amp8 might do the trick and i suspect it will... however, the lack of warm-and-fuzzy might also be attributable to the pre-amp alone and/or its synergy with the M700s. if you can its probably best to demo the amp8 in your system before committing.

also, not sure how much china you want to break here but i am running my dac8 dsd through an integrated amplifier and could not be happier... so, that might be something to throw in the mix - a tubed one but that is just me, ymmv!

if something of interest, check this thread... Do you use an integrated in your main system?
    viking acoustics berlin r mk2 | air tight atc-5 + atm-300r | clearaudio concept + virtuoso v2 MM | t+a dac8 dsd + kanjiroba diy transport + roon rock
    alp-tone audio analog cables | core audio designs plyKraft 3L | hifi racks ltd podium t5-iii

Thanks for the input. When I am talking warm and fuzzy here I am speaking more of a feeling I get then the actual sound. The M700's sound fantastic, no complaints at all.

For me to be totally happy with my gear I need to both love the sound, but also the feeling I get from the gear, the sound, the look and feel (design), quality put into the unit, but mostly simply the feeling that the piece gives me. I am also quite sure that Class D comes into play here (which is a complete illogical bias I am sure). I also know this is simply my problem here because the PS Audio amps are simply great and seem to live up to the fantastic reviews they have been receiving.

My pre-amp gives me this feeling, my KEFs do (man do they), and the T+A DAC8 DSD is simply my favorite piece I have ever owned. I love the design, the build, that it is designed and built in Germany, how solid it feels... from everything I can find, reviews, reading about the unit, etc., the amplifier appears to be cut from the same cloth as the DAC. Design is an exact match. I love that they use no plastics at all. They make a point about that they use metal throughout in their units! I love that they state that they design their units to not last years, but instead decades. This is the warm and fuzzy stuff I am talking about, and I totally understand this is for sure my issue and not the gear.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Those are the input sensitivities for the RCA and XLR inputs: 0.7V for RCA and 1.4V for XLR, IOW the amp needs these voltage levels for full power output.

...For me to be totally happy with my gear I need to both love the sound, but also the feeling I get from the gear, the sound, the look and feel (design), quality put into the unit, but mostly simply the feeling that the piece gives me.
    ahhh... totally get that and can relate!
    viking acoustics berlin r mk2 | air tight atc-5 + atm-300r | clearaudio concept + virtuoso v2 MM | t+a dac8 dsd + kanjiroba diy transport + roon rock
    alp-tone audio analog cables | core audio designs plyKraft 3L | hifi racks ltd podium t5-iii

Well I think I am going to get an AMP 8... I think it should do the trick for me in every way.

I will be selling my 3 month old PS Audio M-700's... great amps, just way too much power for me... and I really like T+A so thinking in my setup should make me happier.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Audioshark

Congrats Randy. It should go great with your DAC8DSD.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Thx Mike,

Really looking forward to it.

Anyone looking for some brand new M700's (3 months old).... I know a pair that will be available very soon... Really nice amps that deserve the great reviews they have been receiving ... incredible amount of power and excellent sounding (fantastic sound stage)... I just feel the T+A will fit my needs better (the PS Audio are just too darn much power for me)....

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

wow, congrats! i will definitely be following your impressions / review of the amp8 closely.

...maybe make it a hat-trick and add in the MP8 !?

Randy, I've heard almost all the T+A lines.
    Terrific products: excellent sound, build quality,...
    I'm really looking forward to hear their new speakers also (similar to but a bit cheaper than the Magico A3 here).
    Vivid Audio - Burmester - Hegel - Marantz - Oppo - Pioneer 60" - Wireworld

Quote Originally Posted by aKnyght View Post
    ...maybe make it a hat-trick and add in the MP8 !?
    Yea... NO.... ... if it could play SACD then it might be worthy of considering, and its other functions are next to useless to me... FM-HD and Internet Radio might be nice (although for the limited FM I do the old classic Technics Pro I have is just fine), I don't stream so that is not important....

I just can't see anything that the MP8 would give me ... as a spinner the Oppo gives me all I need, allowing me to get my SACDs to my music server ...

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

I have a lot of experience with the AMP 8. Honestly, it should get way more attention than it does. Easily my favourite amp I've used at anywhere near that price point. Power, control and articulation well beyond what you'd ever think. Had mostly used it directly driven by a DAC8 DSD. For one customer he felt it made even more of a difference in his system than the DAC 8 DSD. I even drove ATC SCM40 with one for a good while. Plenty of amps can fall short with these speakers, but shockingly, the AMP 8 drove them very well. I've tried it via the preouts of a Hegel Rost as well with excellent results. I'm sure you'll love it.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
    Everest Audio
    www.everestaudio.com
    Facebook

bel canto, Hegel, Vimberg, Opera, MoFi, Acoustic Energy, JL Audio, Innuos, Vertere, Meze Audio, Origin Live, GutWire, Wireworld, Furutech, IsoAcoustics and more

Thank you. This makes me even more excited to get this amp! I can't wait...

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Congrats! Very happy for you. Looking forward to the review!!!
    T+A MP3100HV, T+A PA3100HV. Custom made Furutech cables with ETP-609 distributor with NCF outlets, Harbeth 40.2 Anniversaries.

Randy I am going to go a different direction. Why not try the PS Audio BHK amp? If you bought the M700 from a dealer they might work you a deal in a swap. I have the LS50 and the R500 speakers and mine like a more rich lush sounding amp driving them and they like LOTS of power too. The M700 amps use the older generation class D modules which were not known for their rich sound quality. The AMP8 is not a very high powered amp either. Just a different perspective. Good luck on your search.
    Marty

Aurender N20 / SonicTransporter i7 / Roon
    MSB Premier
    Constellation Inspiration Preamp 1.0 / Mono 1.0
    Dynaudio Confidence 50 / SVS SB13 Ultra
    PS Audio Powerplant 15

Congrats Randy!

Thank you everyone. I am really looking forward to the T+A amp. If my DAC is any indication then I know I will like this amp. I am confident from other amps I have tried that the AMP 8 will have more than enough power for me.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Agreed. I'm sure the AMP 8 will have more than enough power. The problem with the AMP 8 is that people don't take it seriously enough because of the size and power spec. It sounds way more powerful than the specifications would suggest and is very dynamic as well.
    Everest Audio
    www.everestaudio.com
    Facebook

bel canto, Hegel, Vimberg, Opera, MoFi, Acoustic Energy, JL Audio, Innuos, Vertere, Meze Audio, Origin Live, GutWire, Wireworld, Furutech, IsoAcoustics and more

Super Moderator
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Thanks Everest... nice link Joe! You guys are getting me even more excited!

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

AMP8

Randy,
    You tried many DACs before choosing the A+T DS8. Would you mind sharing which were the other DACs you tried?
    Also, would you recommend the A+T DAC even without HQPlayer?

Yes, I would recommend the T+A DAC 8 DSD with or without HQPlayer. It used 4 BurrBrown chips for PCM and their own chipless 1 bit converter for DSD. HQPlayer is just another music playback software/engine that is renowned for both it's customization and upsampling capabilities. The T+A just happens to be first on HQPlayers list of recommended DACs. Besides amazing DSD abilities it can handle virtually any resolution you could throw at it up to DSD512, even using a 48 base clock.... that is 24.6MHz... simply wow. For those who don't follow the numbers DSD64 is 2.8MHz (44.1 base clock), DSD128 is 5.6, DSD256 is 11.2... you get the idea...

Hmmm, DACs I have used... McIntosh, Teac, NuPrime, Marantz, Pono, Denon, Oppo, Wyred 4 Sound DAC-1, Wyred 4 Sound DAC2v2 SE, Benchmark DAC2 HGC, Benchmark DAC3 HGC,.. hmmm, seems like I am forgetting a couple... the T+A DAC 8 DSD is in a higher league in my opinion!

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

My Amp 8 is on it's way. I am looking forward to getting this little amp in my system. It appears to be universally reviewed as an amazing amp, I guess even more amazingly because of its size... every review and every person I have talked to mentions to not let it's size fool you.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Randy, I’m excited for you to receive your new amp. I hope you love how it integrates into your system and am looking forward to reading your thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sean

Lumin T2
    Gryphon Diablo 333
    Magico A3 w/ A-Pods
    AudioQuest Hurricane HC
    Shunyata PS8 & Defender & Cabling
    HRS E1

Yes, I would recommend the T+A DAC 8 DSD with or without HQPlayer. It used 4 BurrBrown chips for PCM and their own chipless 1 bit converter for DSD. HQPlayer is just another music playback software/engine that is renowned for both it's customization and upsampling capabilities. The T+A just happens to be first on HQPlayers list of recommended DACs. Besides amazing DSD abilities it can handle virtually any resolution you could throw at it up to DSD512, even using a 48 base clock.... that is 24.6MHz... simply wow. For those who don't follow the numbers DSD64 is 2.8MHz (44.1 base clock), DSD128 is 5.6, DSD256 is 11.2... you get the idea...

Hmmm, DACs I have used... McIntosh, Teac, NuPrime, Marantz, Pono, Denon, Oppo, Wyred 4 Sound DAC-1, Wyred 4 Sound DAC2v2 SE, Benchmark DAC2 HGC, Benchmark DAC3 HGC,.. hmmm, seems like I am forgetting a couple... the T+A DAC 8 DSD is in a higher league in my opinion!

I made a small mistake, there are 8 Burr-Brown chips for PCM, not 4 in the T+A DAC 8 DSD.

Thank you Sean. I am looking forward to it. Every review I read gets me more excited waiting ...

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Randy,
    A few more questions:
    1. Is the T+A DAC 8 DSD a roon-ready device?
    2. Can you use an Ethernet cable to connect it to your server?
    3. You mentioned built your own Windows server to run HQplayer Can you provide any details?
    Thanks!

Hello nicoff,

Well Roon Ready is more of a term for music servers then DACs, unless you are talking about a combined unit that is a server or streamer and a DAC. Roon runs on my custom music server and the server sends the digital signal to the T+A DAC which in turn converts it to analog in preparation to sending it out to the pre-amp. Units such as the T+A DAC 8 DSD can also be used as a stand alone pre-amp if you prefer (I prefer using my ARC pre-amp).

So I guess you could say that it is Roon ready as such because you can use Roon. Roon Ready really refers to the ability to run Roon Core, therefore referring to a music server/computer.

I do use Roon, but it runs on the music server/computer as the organizer, meta data, information provider, controller. I then have Roon send its signal to HQPlayer as the over clocker/playback engine. To use Roon and HQPlayer it is highly recommended to use a Windows machine. T+A DAC 8 DSD appears to only work with Windows from HQPlayer. Here is the list of recommended DACs by HQPlayer:

Recommended hardware:

The T+A does not have Ethernet inputs therefore it can not be attached to your server via Ethernet ...

The only way to get DSD into the DAC is through the USB connection and a Windows machine is required to play DSD256 and DSD512 as indicated by the chart below from their owners manual:

• USB Socket for connecting a PC or MAC computer.
    • At this input the DAC 8 DSD accepts digital PCM stereo signals with sampling rates in the range 44.1 to 384 kHz
    • Digital DSD stereo signals from 2,8 /3,1 MHz (DSD64) to 22,6 / 24,6 MHz (DSD512)**
    • 11,2 / 12,3 MHz (DSD256) and 22,6 / 24,6 MHz (DSD512) only with a Windows PC.
    • If you wish the DAC 8 DSD to convert audio files from a Windows PC connected to it, you must first install the appropriate drivers on the computer.
    • No drivers are required if you are using a MAC computer.

HQPlayer is very demanding software and therefore requires a fairly robust Windows computer to perform at its best. I highly recommend very high quality power supplies (Gold Standard is the best). When I re-configured my machine to be a dedicated music server I removed all unnecessary software and verified that nothing that was not absolutely required was running. I use Roon Headless Server version and HQPlayer. I loaded the T+A Windows drivers and choose these from the HQPlayer menus when setting it up.

I should be getting my NVidia card back from our one son this weekend therefore I will also install NVidia's latest drivers. HQPlayer can use the NVidia Cuda Cores to off load some of the processing, and the card I am getting back has, I believe, 256 Cuda Cores on it.

There are some companies that offer pre-configured Windows music servers. I could not recommend any in particular, but certain lean toward high performance machines. Of course realize that these companies will charge many times more than you could build a machine yourself.

I seriously do not worry about USB. For the highest best digital music processing you will want to use USB. Ethernet does not give any advantage at this level and in many ways can hinder the system. I also choose to use a Wyred 4 Sound Recovery unit to assure the best USB signal leaving my server gets to my DAC.

It sounds a ton more daunting then it really is...

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Hello nicoff,

Well Roon Ready is more of a term for music servers then DACs, unless you are talking about a combined unit that is a server or streamer and a DAC. Roon runs on my custom music server and the server sends the digital signal to the T+A DAC which in turn converts it to analog in preparation to sending it out to the pre-amp. Units such as the T+A DAC 8 DSD can also be used as a stand alone pre-amp if you prefer (I prefer using my ARC pre-amp).

So I guess you could say that it is Roon ready as such because you can use Roon. Roon Ready really refers to the ability to run Roon Core, therefore referring to a music server/computer.
    Randy - I don't use Roon so I have much less expertise about it than you, but with all due respect I don't think your definition of "Roon Ready" is correct. From what I can find the term refers to devices which can be used as Roon Endpoints which includes many network players. Roon Core can be run on a PC server like you have but the term Roon Ready refers more specifically to devices at the output. I'm sure there are some other members that can add more clarity to this than I can.

Now, that I think about it, you are probably right; Roon Server is the term for a device that can run Roon Core.... never the less, my point to Nicoff is that the DAC does not actually run any version of Roon. It receives the signal further up the line then Roon. Therefore it would not be truly classified as Roon Ready, nor does it have to be, the computer is on Roon duty.

It is funny, when I wrote that reply I was in the middle of working on code, but needed to get my mind off it for a few... my mistake ... but I had to chuckle about that.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by audio.bill View Post
    Randy - I don't use Roon so I have much less expertise about it than you, but with all due respect I don't think your definition of "Roon Ready" is correct. From what I can find the term refers to devices which can be used as Roon Endpoints which includes many network players. Roon Core can be run on a PC server like you have but the term Roon Ready refers more specifically to devices at the output. I'm sure there are some other members that can add more clarity to this than I can.
    I agree with audio.bill’s observations.
    Let me rephrase my question: when using Roon, does the T+A show as a zone?

Of course it does, if you install the Windows driver and select it in Roon audio, as you would with any device and Roon. I assume it does on a Mac. I would not be able to use Roon otherwise.

In my system thread, because of other peoples request I did a bunch of screen shots of my Roon and HQPlayer settings. T+A Zone in Roon is showing and T+A device is showing in the HQPlayer settings.

New photos of Randy's system ...

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

No, in the DAC8 DSD there are 4 STEREO DAC BB chips, which means 8 DACs. They have those gold covers over them.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I know I am probably reading it wrong, but I swear that it says eight Burr-Brown converters on their web-site.... I guess that will teach me to try and be helpful and giving as full of explanations as I know how....

" eight 32-bit converters from Burr-Brown in a double symmetrical circuit"

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Yes because a stereo DAC chip has 2 converters.

I know I am probably reading it wrong, but I swear that it says eight Burr-Brown converters on their web-site.... I guess that will teach me to try and be helpful and giving as full of explanations as I know how....

" eight 32-bit converters from Burr-Brown in a double symmetrical circuit"
    From a review ; you are reading it right, the Burr Brown is PCM only

"For PCM conversion, T+A uses their Quadruple Converter circuit, which uses a total of four DACs per channel in a double-differential configuration claimed to perfectly cancel out converter errors and nonlinearities while increasing dynamic range by 6dB. On the DSD side, a proprietary T+A discrete-component design is used, avoiding the conversion to PCM performed by most converters."https://www.stereophile.com/content/ta-elektroakustik-dac-8-dsd-da-processor
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

The T+A amp arrived. First listening is pretty good. More than enough power, lots of dynamics and obvious very wide band width and speed. It is a tad "tight", or a slight "harshness". This is typical of every new amp I have tried until they break in a little.

So my question is, how much breaking in can I expect with a T+A amp?

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Audioshark

The T+A amp arrived. First listening is pretty good. More than enough power, lots of dynamics and obvious very wide band width and speed. It is a tad "tight", or a slight "harshness". This is typical of every new amp I have tried until they break in a little.

So my question is, how much breaking in can I expect with a T+A amp?
    250 hours.

My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

It will change quite a bit and those problems will go away. I find it to be quite a smooth amp with a neutral to perhaps slightly warm balance.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
    Everest Audio
    www.everestaudio.com
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    250 hours.

Let’s see...
    250 hours / 24 hours =
    10 days + 10 hours

AMP8

Randy, I look forward to your continued thoughts as your amp breaks in. Congrats!
    Sean

Lumin T2
    Gryphon Diablo 333
    Magico A3 w/ A-Pods
    AudioQuest Hurricane HC
    Shunyata PS8 & Defender & Cabling
    HRS E1

Thank you. I am not one who runs a new piece 24/7 to break in. I will just play it and listen to music. If everything holds true I will notice it improving every few days and I will get happier and happier with this amp. ....

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by Everest Audio View Post
    It will change quite a bit and those problems will go away. I find it to be quite a smooth amp with a neutral to perhaps slightly warm balance.
    This has been my experience as well. I find that most every amp I have tried started out a bit harsh and bright and smoothed out to their "sound" after about 100 hours. Most continued to improve for the next couple hundred hours. It appears that the T+A will probably do the same!

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Listening just a few hours and I definitely have noticed some characteristics of this gorgeous little amp. It has a lot more breaking in to go, but I can definitely see what I believe is the family sound.

Very open... very musical... one thing that I have already noticed is the sound stage. The PS Audio amps had excellent separation but the center image seemed to wander... not really stable. Almost like the singer, or the instrument moved around a bit. But with the T+A the sound stage is very very stable. A lot of depth and does not appear to wander at all. I guess I never realized how much this was going on with other amps until I heard how utterly stable the T+A sound stage is. Very nice indeed.

Still lots of breaking in to go ...

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Can you compare it to the Job 225?

Quote Originally Posted by Anatta View Post
    Can you compare it to the Job 225?
    I was thinking this exact thing. The Goldmund Job 225 is a fine amp and the T+A AMP 8 is similar, only everything is stepped up to a higher level. Both are very dynamic and very fast amplifiers. I would compare the two as being of the same design concept, typical European open dynamic and musical.

Both are compact and produce a ton more than their diminutive sizes would indicate that they would be capable of. Of all the amplifiers I have tried in my quest to get "the one", these two are two of my favorites.

While the Job is Goldmunds lower level, with cheaper connectors and only SE inputs, the T+A appears to be of the same build quality that is used through out their products. Therefore I would say the T+A AMP 8 is of higher build quality than the Job 225. Better connectors, fully balanced, interfacing with the DAC 8 DSD's controller; all in all top quality construction. The Job is a great little amp, the T+A is definitely better built.

It is too early to give an honest sound comparison. At this point I would say that the T+A produces a ton more power than the ratings (80 WPS 8 ohm Nominal, 110 WPC 8 ohm peek), and is extremely dynamic. It is the only amp I have had that I would say is as fast as the Job was. The one area that it is already showing its superiority is in the soundstage. I have never heard an amplifier with as stable and deep soundstage. Not only separation, but what really has surprised me is how the center fill does not appear to wander as other amps I have had do.

It has a ton more breaking in to go, but it is already showing what I would imagine is the T+A family sound... and I like what I hear so far.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

AMP8