Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What does Everybody do?

I’m a business owner, owned by the business. Afforded some luxuries, but at an extreme high cost.

I see many on here are retired doing there thing, probably no different where I am at a later stage.

We all come to this site to hangout, banter a bit and go back to our daily lives.

I’ve never done forums until the last year or so, keep telling myself what a waste of time but still drawn back, and cannot help but wondering why?

Am I rambling after a few Knob Creek, perhaps but as I look around not sure if it’s a ramble or a wake up call for a new look at all this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Source Analog: Kuzma Stabi R w/4point 11 arm | Kuzma 50 Cartridge
    Source Digital: Aurender N10 | Brinkmann Nyquist MK II
    Amplification: Dan D’Agostino Momentum HD and M400’s | Boulder 508
    Speakers: Wilson Alexias
    Cabling: Nordost Leif, Norse, V2 and Odin
    Power and Isolation: Audio-Ultra Home & Room Power Foundation Performance Package with StromTank S1000 | HRS

Re: What does Everybody do?

Quote Originally Posted by UltraFast69 View Post
    I’m a business owner, owned by the business. Afforded some luxuries, but at an extreme high cost.

I see many on here are retired doing there thing, probably no different where I am at a later stage.

We all come to this site to hangout, banter a bit and go back to our daily lives.

I’ve never done forums until the last year or so, keep telling myself what a waste of time but still drawn back, and cannot help but wondering why?

Am I rambling after a few Knob Creek, perhaps but as I look around not sure if it’s a ramble or a wake up call for a new look at all this.
    Ed.......Interesting post. My first dabble into the virtual world of online audio forums began around 2005 over on AK. Since that time I have expanded my inquisitiveness by participating in several audio forums. I retired in 2007, thus gaining endless free time, so posting in audio forums became a form of entertainment in my leisure. Posting also brought a connection for me to other audio enthusiasts that I do not have in the rural area of north Florida where I live. My audio interests came with me when I settled in this area, but I have not met anyone in over two decades here that has any serious interest in high fidelity music reproduction in their homes. Heck, my closest neighbor down the road thinks the music channels on DirecTV are the cat's meow. At any rate, sharing conversations with people who have the same interests and immersion in high-end audio has been very satisfying. Online audio forums provide a plethora of useful and valuable information that has helped me solve issues or advance my system performance on more than one occasion over the years. In addition, I have developed several personal friendships through my activities. Then there is the cash I have spent in the past 13+ years being exposed to the latest and greatest gear. I would no doubt have a considerably higher savings account balance had I never joined any audio forum. All in all, my time and effort expended participating in online audio forums has been entertaining, beneficial, and fun. I enjoy being a contributor as well as a consumer of information, and I like the connections made with like minded people. I guess that's what keeps me returning to see what's going on.
    Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital coax,
    Sonos Connect, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Ultra Mini, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205 Signal Sleuth, Sonos Connect, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable,
    Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40 w/m505A tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Stillpoints Ultra Mini, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh 4300V, McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

I've been involved with forums not just audio for a long time. Fishing, Photography and Car and now audio forums all give me a form of entertainment while at the same time learning a little from others but the biggest take away for me is the friendships that do start. FYI; I retired back in 2010 after 37 1/2 years from upper management in the telecommunication design and engineering field, so right now I do my best to handle the yard work, the honey do list, and try stay out of my wife's hair who retired from the DOJ.
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

I am a Board Certified Emergency Medicine Physician and worked 25 years in Emergency Medicine. I then worked in an Urgency Room for 5 years and the last 2 years I have worked in an Urgent Care which is my retirement job, until I decide to fully retire in 5-7 years.

My hobbies are cycling, boating and fishing, playing basketball and racquetball up until recently when my knee's protested. Living here in Minnesota, I spend the most time listening to music during the long cold winters. You have to be outside during the warmer months because the warm season is so short. I also enjoyed saltwater fish and corals for many years up until a few years ago when I got tired of the maintenance. My wife and I also enjoy fine dining and ethnic foods.

I have been on forums for about 10 years now. Made some nice friends along the way.
    My Gear- Mains System-Pass X250 amp, BAT VK-51se preamp, Luxman DA-06 DAC, Magnepan 1.6's, Thorens TD-145 TT, Dual Martin Logan Subs, Vintage Luxman T-110 Tuner, Cables-WW Platinum 7 USB, Cardas Parsec XLR, AQ Columbia DBS 72v XLR, Belden 8402 XLR.

I was a Toolmaker and Machine Designer for 25 years. At 42 I went to college and got a degree in Network Engineering.
    Since then I have been supporting Regulatory Submission Software having all the big Pharma companies around the world as my clients. My title is Principal Support Analyst, but hardy describes the job.

I have been involved with forums since the early 90s. Spent lots of time arguing about cables before moving into the Music forums, where I was introduced to more new music than one could imagine. For years, 20 or so of us traded compilations of favorite, new, themed or whatever music we wanted to share. From that I purchased so much music.
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -
    Rotel RCD-1572 / Rega P3 > Luxman 505UX Mark II > Fyne Audio F502SPs > Synergistic Cables

Secondary - OPPO 93 > VAC CLA 1 MKII Pre > Odyssey Stratos > Dynaudio Audience 82s > Tara Labs Cables

I work for a real estate developer in Dallas. I've been with the same guy for the last 33 years. Some day he will call it quits, I guess thats when I'll retire, although I really can't imagine that day. But it will happen someday.

AS is the only online forum that I participate in, although I do read several.
    Jock

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

---------

House: Naim ND555/2PS, Naim 552, Naim 500, Studer A80/Doshi V3, Magico M2s, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Lumina IC/SC, Shunyata Everest and Omega PCs.

Workshop: Naim ND555/2 PS, VAC Master Pre, VAC Sig 200iQ, Border Patrol pre/power, Avant Garde Duo Mezzo XD, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Shunyata IC/SC, Shunyata Typhon QR/Triton V3/Sigma PCs.

What does Everybody do?

Similar perspective to the OP. Do run a business, enjoy audio for relaxing. Nowhere close to retirement What does Everybody do?.

I do like the practitioner perspective at AS, people who are actually owning good quality gear and do speak from experience, usually having experienced a system change or two. Music recommendations are my favorite feature.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

Not a business owner - only a worker bee! Hope to retire in a few years. I've been on various forums for a little over 10 years now. I do it for the fun of it when I have time. Made some good friends that share the same interests.
    George

Aavik U300 - Borresen 03 with optional Supreme D-TC feet - Naim unitiserve 2tb - Ansuz DTC digital cable with power box - Ansuz Mainz8 D-TC with 1 Ansuz Supreme D-TC and 1 Ceramic V2 power cords - Ansuz Ceramic V2 speaker cables - Ansus X Ethernet - pARTicular Novus full suspension rack.

Audioshark

For over twenty years, I've been an entrepreneur. My first company, which I still own today, I started over 20 years ago. When there was a big move away from mainframes towards client/server environments, coupled with some North American success of ERP implementations (like SAP, PeopleSoft, ORACLE, etc.), I saw an opportunity. I started this company with $800 to my name and a borrowed computer (which I sold to my Dad and borrowed back a few days later ) and within only a few years had been recognized by Profit Magazine as "hottest startup" and a few years later, "fastest growing". Sales quickly were north of $10 million. It was a great time to be in IT! The Y2K craze accelerated growth, that's for sure.

Over the 20+ years, my team and I have worked on over 200 ERP implementations, including many multi-billion dollar companies like Coca-Cola, Bristol-Myers Squibb, Nike, the US Army, US Navy, Northrop Grumman, NASA, Novartis, Lockheed Martin, various Biotech, Pharma, Manufacturing, Aerospace and Defense, Retail and Oil & Gas companies and numerous others. Recently, we have become involved in LIMS (Laboratory Information Management Systems), CTMS (Clinical Trial Management Systems) and a few FDA Regulatory System implementations. We are also active in Business Process Reengineering, along with specialized staff augmentation and staffing services.

I still own 100% of this company today and have over 20 employees. I try to do as little with this company during the week as I can. 30 minutes max, or less if possible! I have empowered a small team of trusted managers to make the day to day decisions so I can focus on more enjoyable things, like Suncoast Audio.

When I lost both my parents in 2013/2015, it was a wake up call for me. I was burned out with the IT world. It had changed so much in the past 20-25 years, and not for the better IMO. It has gone from doing the best project work possible, to offshoring and the cheapest bid wins (often only to have to redo the project later). This is why I started Suncoast Audio.

Today, I own 6 companies involved in IT, real estate investments and audio, including, as many know, Suncoast Audio. I am enjoying things MUCH more these days doing what I love (this time around). It has been fascinating working in high end audio, having spent over 20 years dealing with multi-billion dollar, Fortune 100 companies. It's an industry full of mostly great people, and far more personal than the impersonal large enterprise world.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

I was going to put $800 in Amazon over 20 years ago, but instead lent it to some guy who was starting some company.

I think he'll pay me back.

Someday.

Until then, I mostly listen to my Walkman.
    Jon

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by VT Skier View Post
    I was going to put $800 in Amazon over 20 years ago, but instead lent it to some guy who was starting some company.

I think he'll pay me back.

Someday.

Until then, I mostly listen to my Walkman.
    LOL. Good thing I didn't know you back then. I would have surely become a lawyer if I did.

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

I’m a native of Philadelphia and a graduate of the University of Pennsylvania. I’ve been an attorney for 32 years, the last 25 of which I’ve resided in Chicago, where I’m a partner in a 20 attorney firm whose practice is limited exclusively to matrimonial law (a nice way of saying I’m a divorce lawyer)! Audio is a good release from the daily stressors one feels from dealing with clients all day going through some of the worst times of their lives. I’ve been lurking on audio forums for around five years. My first rig as a teenager was a Technics receiver and turntable with small Advent speakers. I returned to the audio hobby five years ago and immediately went out and bought a monster Technics receiver. Ever since then I’ve been an equipment junkie.

I also collect watches, have a vintage (2800cs) and modern (i8) BMW and continue to love golf (played on college team). That about sums up my life (other than talking about my two kids, one who just graduated from Vanderbilt University and moved to NYC for her first real job and the other a rising sophomore at University of Wisconsin-Madison).

I am currently retired. Previously I owned and operated a small (5 employees) Heating and Cooling business.
    I have been in and out of being an audiophile since the early 70's.
    I was always very hands on, building many Heathkits, Haflers, speakers etc.
    I got into the forums to get ideas on how to do certain mods and see what other builders were up to.
    Back in the day to get a schematic or obtain information you would have to write or call (if possible) the person and then wait for the mail to receive the manual or schematic.
    Then faxing came of age and it was possible to receive the info the same day.
    Now with the internet and the forums you can be directed and find what you need almost instantly.
    The forums, and in particular this one, are a good place to share information, get new ideas and meet new friends
    Recently I was in need of a schematic and posted here. Shortly afterwords I received a PM with the information I needed.
    It's a great forum and a great time to be alive.
    My System
    Acoustic Revive RTP-4
    Innuos Pulsar
    Lampizator BALTIC4
    Cary SLP-05
    Pass XA30.5 or
    Line Magnetic 845ia
    Reference 3A Reflector's
    Pr SVS SB3000 Subs
    Cables & Tubes "subject to change without notification".
    Complete system on battery power/solar
    Core Audio Design Rack
    DIY bass traps and custom curved diffusors.

Quote Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
    Ed.......Interesting post. My first dabble into the virtual world of online audio forums began around 2005 over on AK. Since that time I have expanded my inquisitiveness by participating in several audio forums. I retired in 2007, thus gaining endless free time, so posting in audio forums became a form of entertainment in my leisure. Posting also brought a connection for me to other audio enthusiasts that I do not have in the rural area of north Florida where I live. My audio interests came with me when I settled in this area, but I have not met anyone in over two decades here that has any serious interest in high fidelity music reproduction in their homes. Heck, my closest neighbor down the road thinks the music channels on DirecTV are the cat's meow. At any rate, sharing conversations with people who have the same interests and immersion in high-end audio has been very satisfying. Online audio forums provide a plethora of useful and valuable information that has helped me solve issues or advance my system performance on more than one occasion over the years. In addition, I have developed several personal friendships through my activities. Then there is the cash I have spent in the past 13+ years being exposed to the latest and greatest gear. I would no doubt have a considerably higher savings account balance had I never joined any audio forum. All in all, my time and effort expended participating in online audio forums has been entertaining, beneficial, and fun. I enjoy being a contributor as well as a consumer of information, and I like the connections made with like minded people. I guess that's what keeps me returning to see what's going on.
    Aren't u a moderator on several forums?

Before doing what I do now, I had a career in clandestine services—and thats all can say about that. Returned to high end audio about a decade back, and have been assembling and upgrading all along the way. Apparently, there is no end...

I started visiting the forums to learn what others had gone through with hopes of avoiding mistakes in purchase decisions. Met a lot of great folks along the way.

I run the Minneapolis and Miami offices of a nationwide multi family lender. We provide financing utilizing Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, Hud, as well as our balance sheet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Preamp/Digital: Meitner MA3
    HT Processor: Bryston SP3
    Amps: Bryston 14b3, Bryston 4b3
    Speakers: Kef Reference 5, Kef Reference 4c
    Sub: REL Carbon Special
    Power: Shunyata Denali, Bryston BIT15
    Wires: Wireworld Silver Eclipse XLR & SC, Ethernet - WW Platinum USB
    Other: Stillpoint Ultra SS, ISO-Acoustics ISO Pucks

-Kyle

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    For over twenty years, I've been an entrepreneur. My first company, which I still own today, I started over 20 years ago. When there was a big move away from mainframes towards client/server environments, coupled with some North American success of ERP implementations (like SAP, PeopleSoft, ORACLE, etc.), I saw an opportunity. I started this company with $800 to my name and a borrowed computer (which I sold to my Dad and borrowed back a few days later ) and within only a few years had been recognized by Profit Magazine as "hottest startup" and a few years later, "fastest growing". Sales quickly were north of $10 million. It was a great time to be in IT! The Y2K craze accelerated growth, that's for sure.

Over the 20+ years, my team and I have worked on over 200 ERP implementations, including many multi-billion dollar companies like Coca-Cola, Bristol-Myers Squibb, Nike, the US Army, US Navy, Northrop Grumman, NASA, Novartis, Lockheed Martin, various Biotech, Pharma, Manufacturing, Aerospace and Defense, Retail and Oil & Gas companies and numerous others. Recently, we have become involved in LIMS (Laboratory Information Management Systems), CTMS (Clinical Trial Management Systems) and a few FDA Regulatory System implementations. We are also active in Business Process Reengineering, along with specialized staff augmentation and staffing services.

I still own 100% of this company today and have over 20 employees. I try to do as little with this company during the week as I can. 30 minutes max, or less if possible! I have empowered a small team of trusted managers to make the day to day decisions so I can focus on more enjoyable things, like Suncoast Audio.

When I lost both my parents in 2013/2015, it was a wake up call for me. I was burned out with the IT world. It had changed so much in the past 20-25 years, and not for the better IMO. It has gone from doing the best project work possible, to offshoring and the cheapest bid wins (often only to have to redo the project later). This is why I started Suncoast Audio.

Today, I own 6 companies involved in IT, real estate investments and audio, including, as many know, Suncoast Audio. I am enjoying things MUCH more these days doing what I love (this time around). It has been fascinating working in high end audio, having spent over 20 years dealing with multi-billion dollar, Fortune 100 companies. It's an industry full of mostly great people, and far more personal than the impersonal large enterprise world.

Wow, well travelled Mike and you still found the time for Suncoast ...

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by a.wayne View Post
    Wow, well travelled Mike and you still found the time for Suncoast ...
    That’s what Joe says to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ex British Armed forces technician, now work for a multi-national Co. Still a technician, just on different stuff these days.

International Trade attorney.
    Anthony
    Analog: VPI Clearaudio Innovation Wood/Kuzma 4Point/Ortofon A95> ASR Basis Exclusive HV---->

Digital: Antipodes CX (Oladra Upgrade)> Cary DMS-600 DAC/Streamer---->
    ...........Cary 306 SACD Professional Disc Player---->

===> Cary SLP-05 (Ultimate Upgrade edition)----> Clayton M-300----> MARTIN LOGAN SPIRES/REL 212SX x2

[Synergistic Research/Nordost/Wireworld/Furutech/SRA/Adona/Stillpoints/Track Audio/GIK Acoustics]

Avionics Tech by trade. Now I'm a Production Superintendent at a depot facility for RSAF jets in Riyadh, KSA.

This is one of my favorite forums to read each day.

I m pilot, 42 yrs old, 2 kids, work as a captain in an airline in the gulf, my hobby started very early~13~14 yrs old, but aggravated these 5 yrs!
    Enjoy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Painter (artist). Haven't reached retirement age, but probably will never retire anyway.

Used to frequent another forum when I was more into vintage gear; seldom go there now. This is the one I visit now.
    Antipodes EX…Schiit Yggdrasil...Coda 07x…Peachtree GaN400...Vivid V1.5
    Intona Premium USB…Cerious Graphene Extreme XLR...Double Helix Cables Chaperone XLR...Acoustic Revive SPC-PA
    Torus RM15...Shunyata Alpha HC…Mad Scientist First...HF Reveal...XLO Ref 3

Formerly USAF, IT executive in telecom and retail, and international CIO for a large multinational. Semi-retired as I do a little bit of consulting. Moved to the gulf coast of FL last year. Blessed to have the ability to spend quality time with family and friends here in FL. Have enjoyed music and stereo systems since my teenage years.

Mike

Amplification: MBL 6010D, MBL 9008A Monos
    Analog: Kuzma R, Kuzma 4Point (11”), MSL Ultra Eminent EX
    Phono Pre: Pass XP-27
    Digital: Esoteric N01XD Esoteric K05
    Speakers: MBL 101E MKII
    Subwoofers: REL Carbon Specials
    Conditioner: Shunyata Triton 3
    Power Cables: Shunyata Sigma 1 & 2, Alpha 2, Delta and Venom
    ICs and SCs: Wireworld Platinum 8
    Rack: Artesania Exoteryc

Super Moderator

You guys are all awesome. Thank you so much for being here.

I work for the local police department and process crime scene and homicide photos. The music helps me unwind after work. Needless to say we unfortunately we get busy too often.
    Last edited by joeinid; June 4, 2018 at 10:45 AM.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Electronics design, engineer first and foremost but doing a lot of managerial work now. Mainly flash memory for the last 15 years. AS has always been my go to forum for audio ever since I started frequenting audio forums.

I spent 42 years in the auto industry. The first twenty at GM (actually 20 since Uncle Sam drafted my ass where I spent a couple years as a Military Police Sergeant) then the next 22 at one of the top two auto suppliers in the world. Several positions including VP with Global Operational responsibility for one product line. With plants on five continents I was always in the air. Fortunate to have retired a bit early to start spending time with family and music.
    Jim

D'Agostino Momentum M-400's MxV’s & HD Pre-amp
    Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2 speakers
    Digital: dCS Vivaldi APEX DAC, Clock & Upsampler
    Analog: SME 20/3 with Esoteric E-03 Phono
    Transparent Opus Speaker Cable & Interconnects & Opus Power Cords
    Power Cords on Digital: Shunyata
    Power Conditioner - Shunyata Everest

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    You guys are all awesome. Thank you so much for being here.

I work for the local police department and process crime scene and homicide photos. The music helps me unwind after work. Needless to say we unfortunately we get busy too often.
    So Joe would your title be a Forensic Photographer
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

Super Moderator

Some of my work involves Forensic photography which is shared with the Evidence Specialists and Detectives. I process the photos and make court displays, photograph police functions and graduations as well.

Quote Originally Posted by CPP View Post
    So Joe would your title be a Forensic Photographer
    Last edited by joeinid; June 4, 2018 at 11:40 AM.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

I retired about a year and a half ago after a long career in large system mainframe sales. I've been into audio off and on since before graduating college when I had a small monaural system - JBL (8" driver) speaker, Bogen integrated amp, turntable/arm/cartridge (don't remember the brands) - I couldn't afford stereo! I've been in the process of updating my vintage mid-90s system and music for the past year and enjoying the process. This forum has been a great source of knowledge and a lot of fun.
    The backgrounds of people on this thread are impressive. A special thanks to Mike for starting and contributing (with many others) to AudioShark and making it a welcoming place to visit.

I own a couple of brothels in Nevada, business has been picking up as of late ...........
    Cheers ! …. Dave

Super Moderator

Any discount codes I could mention on the way in?

I’m sure the competition is stiff

NAD C 658 streamer.

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    Any discount codes I could mention on the way in?

I’m sure the competition is stiff
    LOL Joe........just come as you are!
    Cheers ! …. Dave

Super Moderator

Hahahahaha, no problem.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikado463 View Post
    I own a couple of brothels in Nevada, business has been picking up as of late ...........
    Does the customer always come first?

Still working as a software engineer developing automation for testing network features, functions, and products. It keeps my brain sharp, keeps me out of trouble (at least during the week), and gives me money to help support Mike.
    Bud

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR for source, Denali 2000 (2) for amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson four shelf maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.

Lawyer. Sorry. Inveterate audiophile longer than I’ve been a lawyer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Amplification: DartZeel 468 (2) // DartZeel NHB18NS Mk. II
    Tuner: MagnumDynalab 108T/SE
    Table/Cart: J.Sikora Reference // Integrity HiFi Tru-Glider - DSAudio GrandMaster EX // Integrity HiFI Tru-Glider - Ortofon A Mono
    Equalizer/Phono Pre: DSAudio Master3
    Speakers: TAD R-1 MkII, REL Six Pack of REL Carbon Specials
    Power: Nordost QBase8 Mk3, QX4, Qkore1, 3 and 6 (chassis), QK1 (2), QV2 (2), Chord GroundAray (signal), Chord Line Aray (3), Chord Professional, AddPOWR EAU2 (2)
    DAC/Serv-stream: LampiZator Horizon/ Taiko Extreme
    Elrod Master Statement Diamond SE Speaker Cables
    Elrod Master Statement Diamond PCs (7), Evolution Acoustics 50 ohm (Zeel Connection), Nordost Odin2 IC (2), Nordost Valhalla II USB, CH Acoustic X20 IC, Final Touch Audio Elara PCs (6)
    AudioDesk Systeme RCM
    CMS Ultra 2.0 Footers TT (2) and TD (2), Revopods (2) and SortKones and EVPs where they work
    Critical Mass Systems Ultra-Q Rack > Silence Focus Amp Stands

I am 59 years old, nearly 30 years of private business, before I worked for big state companies.
    Very succesful during Polish transition time in 90’s in coffee business I am financially independent , still own some small businesses ( real estate, production of windows , small hotel)and want to be active as long as possible.
    Since 1972 or so I had a mono turntable , then alwyas music was important to me, but I didn’t know that I was audiophile.
    My first „audiophile setup” comes from 1995, still own PS 5.1 in my second system.
    Last edited by Marslo; June 5, 2018 at 12:35 AM. Reason: Typo
    Aurender W20->Lampizator Pacific SE/Audio Aero La Fontaine->Ayon Crossfire III or Circle Labs A100-> Avantgarde Acoustic Trio LE 26, 4x REL Carbon Special Subwoofers
    Analog : Fat Bob S with SME 5, Shelter Harmony, Tom Evans Groove+ SRX mk2, Muarah PSC with InteliClamp
    cabling: Duelund DCA 16GA, Acrolink, Vovox, Siltech, Transparent, Audio Phase , NxLT The Flame, FTA Callisto and Sinope usb, Fadel Art , Argentum , REL Bassline Blue

HT : Sony HW 50 ES, Oppo 93 EU, Darbee DVP-5000 ,Yamaha Aventage RX-A 3010 , B&W 9.1, screen 120 inches matt white

I'm 64. Retailer of office furniture for the past 37 yrs. I still play hockey year round twice a week. I been into audio since around 19. Bought a Marantz 1060 and loved it still own it. I'm currently renovating which has been a very long process. Presently close to completion. Hopefully mid July I will open the dedicated HT. I have been amassing this over the last few years. Can't wait to open.
    About 5 years ago I was auditioning speakers and wondered why I wasn't meeting people like myself I attempted to join a local club who rejected me because I was HT. I stumbled on AS and it was like the lights turn on. I do appreciate everyone's comments and the knowledge I have gained is SOTA you can't buy this kind of knowledge. I read a few other forums but participate in this one the most by far. You folks are the best. Big thanks to Mike who keeps this all going.
    Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post

Lol

Good story!
    NORMAN
    Custom PC with Memory Player Software Suite/ Modded Denon CD transport>Lampi GG1 (and sometimes PACIFIC) DHT tube Dac> Rowen 850W Isolating Transformer/ Rowen SS Preamp and PA1 monoblocs/Lampi Silk power cond. with Phase flipper> Heil AMT KITHARA & Syrinx in parallel hookup. Swiss cables (Reference line) for PC/interconnects and speaker cables. Goldmund Sweetcord PC. FTA Callisto unpowered USB cable. Basic analog: vintage Lenco L78 TT with Rowen mat, Denon MM cart, iFi iPhono2 with 15v Hynes SR3 LPSU. Synology 12 TB NAS. 2nd system:KenWin Bluetooth speaker 3rd system TBI Millemnium amp with Aulos speakers and SB Duo hookup.

Mikaado! brothels!!! ha!!!!!!!!!!!!

i just retired, still quite an adjustment! molecular biology at a great company for 38 years. i miss work, and the people. i was watching "Elementary" on TV and noticed all the McIntosh gear he has, and decided to build a great system. somehow i found this forum.

i ended up asking a LOT of DUMB questions of Mike, who was always very nice. then i found out he ran this forum. i got to meet Mike last fall for a great dinner. from him i got my GREAT Triode corporation tube integrated amp and ASTOUNDING Harbeth speakers. also two REL subs. this is a GREAT forum, run by a GREAT guy and very intelligent and helpful members. highlights include Mike himself, shark mouth, jade david and especially JDandy. many thanks guys!! best regards, Bob
    stereo: integrated amp: Triode TRX 88pp with KT 88 tubes. oppo 105 CD player, Schiit yggdrasil DAC, Harbeth 30.2 speakers., two REL T/5 subwoofers.

Active Duty U.S. Navy for 25 years. Am a Head & Neck Pathologist and Forensic Odontologist...basically look at biopsies and identify casualties by dental comparisons. Thankfully, the former skills are being used a lot more often than the latter.
    Kevin

Main: VPI Aries 3/Grado Reference3, and Aurender N200 > PS Audio DS DAC. Luxman L-509Z integrated amp. Sonus Faber Elipsa SE speakers. PS Audio P10 power. Transparent Audio, Cardas and Audioquest cables.

Bar: EAT C-sharp/Hana MH, and exaSound s82 > Luxman L-595SE amp. GolderEar One.R speakers. Shunyata power, Audioquest cables.

Retired in 2007 (I was a Fed in DC). Currently, add chlorine tabs to the pool every now and then. Other main hobbies besides audio and live music include motorcycling and working out at the gym. Enjoy going to brewpubs with family and also watching my grandkids grow up. I read a few sites and learn something every now and again. I like to post up what music I listen to sometimes. We have some good people on this site. Life is good.
    Regards,
    Steve

https://www.audionirvana.org/forum/t...geezr-s-system
    I only do what the voices in my wife's head tell her to tell me to do.

DSkip

I'm a baby. 33 years old and taught high school math until last year when I quit to focus on AudioThesis full time. I got into teaching and my entire life fell apart... literally. My first wife passed away during my second year of teaching and I've struggled to find the purpose of teaching again. AudioThesis keeps me grounded as my favorite thing in this hobby is introducing people to new gear that I fall in love with. The fact that I can maintain enough income combined with survivors benefits to make it work is something I don't take for granted.

Technically, I'm more stay at home dad right now as I have three young kids to take care of.

Super Moderator

So sorry for your loss Skip. Thank you for sharing.

NAD C 658 streamer.

retired specialist nurse in NHS , miss it a lot but the hours were getting horrendous and constant fear of being sued drummed into you . now involved in property and supporting folks in their own homes . great forum this although some of the gear i am not familiar with as US based but still very interesting . family have banned me from talking about speakers as i am rather nuts about them so i come on here and you guys don`t mind !!!
    1]bel canto EIX/ F5 monoblocks . BC cd2, tannoy eaton legacy 2]bel canto pre 5 ,arcam a85 , black ice modded dac
    modded dac , marantz sa8005, Verity audio Rienzi

retired a few years now from a 30-year wall street career. i now have a mix of projects in progress which keep me sane and out of trouble. retirement was a change that ultimately required me to accept that now having reached the other side of the ocean, there is no going back and the ships must be burnt! so, i am well along in the process of dismantling my former life and ruthlessly discarding anything unneeded in the new world.

in a few years, we will set out to a new and very different location from which to continue rebooting and for the adventure of it. our collective list of locations is long but the overlap is small... so, maybe we start working our way down the list and stay when it feels like home.

one of the projects has been to upgrade my audio system which is how i came across this forum - thanks so much to mike and everyone else here for making it such a great place. i enjoy every aspect here - technology, gear, music discovery, etc.

an analog photography forum is the only other one i actively participate in.
    viking acoustics berlin r mk2 | air tight atc-5 + atm-300r | clearaudio concept + virtuoso v2 MM | t+a dac8 dsd + kanjiroba diy transport + roon rock
    alp-tone audio analog cables | core audio designs plyKraft 3L | hifi racks ltd podium t5-iii

Electrician. Still working. Own my own business. Wife really makes the money. I am working on a new power delivery from the panel to all our gear. Just ordered some new wire. Currently run OFC cord from panel to a dist strip. By far exceeds NMB in the wall. Working on getting rid of all the plugs and receptacles. Were building a formula sports car here, right.

I'm a 43 year old maintenance planner at a pharmaceutical company. I make sure that equipment (scales, pipettes, analytical equipment) and utilities (HVAC, PSG, PW etc) gets their maintenance, calibration or validation in time. I've been doing this for about 13years. I have been into audio for about 15 years. Maybe one day I might like to work in audio. When I'm 50-60ish. The current shop owner is in his 60s and might retire in 10-20 years.

I live in a Leyden.

The job is not exciting but it pays the bill. Will probably retire in 25 years, will have worked for 45 years. If retirement still exists around that time.

Girlfriend since 2001, no children (by choice).
    Pre amp: Ocatve Phono Module Power amps: Octave MRE130 Turntable: SAC Girati Grande. Tonearm: Dynavector 507mkII Cartridge: Dynavector Ikeda 9TT Streamer: Aurender A10 Power Distributor: Anzus Mains D8 Speakers: Raidho X-3 Speaker Cables: AudioQuest Rocket 88 XLR Interlink: Ansuz A2, [B]XLR Interlink: [B]Phono interlink: Cammino Serie 1.0 - PH 1.0s Power cables: Anzus Mains Ceramic, two Pom, Aluminium, X series Audio Rack: Rack of Silence 4 and 2.

I tried retirement in 2007 for 4 months, drove myself crazy, my wife even crazier and my 3 dogs even crazier. They all kicked me out of the house and told me to go back to work. Retirement was the toughest job I ever had.

I may try retirement again in a couple of years as I just turned 65 and just had twin (boy and girl) grandchildren. However, my wife wants to be near the grandkids in NYC. There lies the rub! I clawed my way out of that place in 87 having grown up there, gone to med school and did my residency there and couldn't wait to get out. I break out in cold sweats every time the plane approaches LaGuardia or JFK. The only thing worse than flying into NY is trying to get out.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

What does Everybody do?