Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

In market for a new CD player or Transport and DAC - would like some opinion/suggestions

Hi All,

Forgive me for not saying a formal hello in the introduction thread, but I won't be participating much arounf here in the various areas. (Just sort of in and out on occasion).

I’m in market for either a CD player or Transport DAC combo for a home system. (Not interested in portable or desktop computer systems).
    I currently have a Marantz CD5003…I think, could be a 5004, I think they are on number 5005 now or something. I don’t know it changes every 6 months. It is a good player and I am keeping it for another system.
    That said, I want to see if I can get something a bit nicer for the current system I am working on, if possible. (I may find the Marantz a small challenge to beat, but I want to explore options). I’m not telling what other gear I have as it is irrelevant.
    While I love my vinyl records and prefer them, I do have around 900 CDs, which is mostly comprised of stuff not available on vinyl and the rare “just better produced” than what is available on vinyl….rare, but it happens.

Anyway, my budget is up to a max of around $1000 (give or take). I can’t use top-loaders because it is going into a shelf rack, so I need either a drawer load (preferable) or a slot load. I can handle any ports (unbalanced, balanced, coax, toslink).

So what can I do for a CD player or Transport/Dac combo within my budget? (Transport and DAC do not have to be the same brand).
    I am not concerned with SACD ability, nor am I concerned about MQA, DSD or what have you. I don’t use Tidal or NAS and such, so no concerns there either. (I do use Spotify for background and research).
    Of course, I realize I will get 99% opinion, but that is the point. It can give ideas or help me narrow the field.

Thank you

Super Moderator

Re: In market for a new CD player or Transport and DAC - would like some opinion/suggestions

Welcome to the forum, thank you for joining.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Re: In market for a new CD player or Transport and DAC - would like some opinion/suggestions

Submit your contact info at the Oppo site in the event they decide to do a final production run on their UDP-205. You might get lucky. Oppo price prior to withdrawal was $1299. They're now going for up to $3000 on the black market. In the specified price range, a single box solution is the way to go.

given your budget and CD only, one word ........ Rotel
    Cheers ! …. Dave

Yamaha CD-S700 $799

Onkyo C-7030 transport $199 + Schiit Gungnir DAC $849

Quote Originally Posted by GSOphile View Post
    Submit your contact info at the Oppo site in the event they decide to do a final production run on their UDP-205. You might get lucky. Oppo price prior to withdrawal was $1299. They're now going for up to $3000 on the black market. In the specified price range, a single box solution is the way to go.
    Yes, I have been thinking about Oppo and I did submit my info to them about a month ago. $1300 is pushing the envelope, but if it was the ultimate machine, I'd pull a muscle making the stretch to get one. I was looking at the 203, but it is a totally different sonic animal, the 205 is better. However, if they do decide to do a final run, I'm sure it will be at black market prices because of its scheduled obscurity. Upon further thinking it makes less sense to get the Oppo strictly for CD playback. Multi-taskers usually don't hold up well. If I did get one I would use for more than CD of course. Then there is the lack of warranty and service to consider.
    So I concluded that the Oppo is a mixed bag, though still appealing.

Thank you for all the suggestions so far. I do have the Rotel RCD 1572 on the list and the Yamaha CD-S700.
    I had not considered the Onkyo because I have had poor performance from their CD players in past. I'll look into the one listed though and the Schiit dac of course.

My question is in the suggestions so far, what makes any of them a step up from the Marantz? I'm not challenging anything, all fine suggestions to look into, but I did ask originally about getting something a bit better than my Marantz 5003. So I am just wondering in what ways any of these suggestions thus far are a step up. Is it the transport? The dac implementation? The build?
    It is that info that seems to be elusive.

Quote Originally Posted by AnonHiFi View Post

My question is in the suggestions so far, what makes any of them a step up from the Marantz? I'm not challenging anything, all fine suggestions to look into, but I did ask originally about getting something a bit better than my Marantz 5003. So I am just wondering in what ways any of these suggestions thus far are a step up. Is it the transport? The dac implementation? The build?
    It is that info that seems to be elusive.
    the Marantz is no longer being produced I believe, regardless I've owned the Rotel in a second system of mine for many years, performs flawlessly every time with the super fast load time.
    Cheers ! …. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Mikado463 View Post
    the Marantz is no longer being produced I believe, regardless I've owned the Rotel in a second system of mine for many years, performs flawlessly every time with the super fast load time.
    The Marantz is still being produced indeed, it is just called the CD5005 now, which just means my 5003 is two years old.
    I do like the looks and all of the Rotel, not to mention the reputation. I just don't have any details on what makes it different (outside of looks) and an upgrade from the Marantz, if it is, out of curiosity.
    That is the info I am seeking on all the machines on my list: Which are upgrades and why?

Yes, I have been thinking about Oppo and I did submit my info to them about a month ago. $1300 is pushing the envelope, but if it was the ultimate machine, I'd pull a muscle making the stretch to get one. I was looking at the 203, but it is a totally different sonic animal, the 205 is better. However, if they do decide to do a final run, I'm sure it will be at black market prices because of its scheduled obscurity. Upon further thinking it makes less sense to get the Oppo strictly for CD playback. Multi-taskers usually don't hold up well. If I did get one I would use for more than CD of course. Then there is the lack of warranty and service to consider.
    So I concluded that the Oppo is a mixed bag, though still appealing.
    Prior to buying my Esoteric, I had a UDP-205 in my system for a few days playing CDs. Excellent player. Heavy duty construction with build quality equal to or better than players costing 2-3 times the 205's MRSP (e.g., other premium players are using the Oppo 20x transport). If I'm not mistaken, Oppo has said they will honor existing warranty commitments.

I owned a Marantz SA8005. It was/is fantastic. Sold to a club member and he is loving it. I picked up an Oppo for a "special purpose" since I rarely if ever spin disks any more. The Marantz was a better pure music player in my view, also can be used as a solid DAC. They sell for $1199.
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Myers View Post
    I owned a Marantz SA8005. It was/is fantastic. Sold to a club member and he is loving it. I picked up an Oppo for a "special purpose" since I rarely if ever spin disks any more. The Marantz was a better pure music player in my view, also can be used as a solid DAC. They sell for $1199.
    Yes, I have the SA8005 on the list too, but not sure I would use it to its full potential as I have no SACDs and won't be getting any and I don't buy music files or anything except vinyl records and CDs (and CD buying is waning severely these days). The Marantz is no slouch, that's for sure, but it doesn't have balanced ports, then again I'm not sure I'd notice the benefit of balanced unless I was noticing interference or noise from the player.

Ah yes, I wish I had the scratch for an Esoteric, if nothing else it is a beautiful looking machine.

ModWright's two favorite players to custom modify are the Oppo UDP-205 and the Marantz 8005, which, IMO, says a lot about the quality of these two machines.

If you like your 5003 seems logical just to move up the Marantz line. My impression is Marantz pretty much dominates that under $1k player market.

I like the Schiit suggestion. That combo would be more neutral than your 5003 yet remain musical. If you haven't yet, read about their bit technology. The Schiit DAC's perform beyond their price range.
    Aurender ACS10 w/Audioquest Diamond USB, Esoteric N05xd
    Mark Levinson #526, 534 & JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart
    Clarus Concerto & their Crimson cables

HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent, Analysis Plus & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP
    Parasound P6, MBL 8006b, Artisan speakers/subwoofer

One thing that I would add... you say you have no interest in SACD. I would highly encourage you to try one.... but be warned, there is no turning back... when you go down the DSD rabbit hole... so much to the point that it has led me to buying a DAC that specializes in DSD, purchasing HQPlayer and upsampling all of my music to DSD512.

It all started from getting a couple SACDs... yea they are that good compared to their CD versions.
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    If you like your 5003 seems logical just to move up the Marantz line. My impression is Marantz pretty much dominates that under $1k player market.

I like the Schiit suggestion. That combo would be more neutral than your 5003 yet remain musical. If you haven't yet, read about their bit technology. The Schiit DAC's perform beyond their price range.
    That makes sense, although, I do like the build of the 5003 and all, I was hoping for something different than just moving up the Marantz line, not that there is anything wrong with that (especially considering Modwright's position on Marantz....I would never have anything modded though, but that is irrelevant).

Now I am thinking if I have to stay in Marantz (although I am strongly considering Rotel and Yamaha as well) I wonder if I decide down the road to get a seperate DAC, I need to figure out if there would be a way to bypass the DAC in the player. Not saying that would happen, just thinking out loud.

One thing that I would add... you say you have no interest in SACD. I would highly encourage you to try one.... but be warned, there is no turning back... when you go down the DSD rabbit hole... so much to the point that it has led me to buying a DAC that specializes in DSD, purchasing HQPlayer and upsampling all of my music to DSD512.

It all started from getting a couple SACDs... yea they are that good compared to their CD versions.
    Well, I have no doubt they are fantastic, no question there, its just that there is nothing on SACD I want. Most dacs today handle DSD, it is almost standard, even on a couple of sub $1k dacs. If I end up with a player that handles SACD, no worries, I just don't think I will ever use that ability unless they come out with an SACD I want, but I don't see that happening sadly. I do see a couple of Rush SACDs out there, but only one can I afford and it is not my first choice in the Rush discography, but then I am a big fan anyway. The problem is that the rest of the discography is not on SACD. I have other favorites, but they all sound best on vinyl....I digress.

Hi, these days it's difficult to find a player where you can't bypass the internal DAC. When reading features you should see terms like; optical out, toslink out, coaxial out, etc. In other words to bypass th internal DAC just use one of the digital outputs on the back into the external DAC.

That makes sense, although, I do like the build of the 5003 and all, I was hoping for something different than just moving up the Marantz line, not that there is anything wrong with that (especially considering Modwright's position on Marantz....I would never have anything modded though, but that is irrelevant).

Now I am thinking if I have to stay in Marantz (although I am strongly considering Rotel and Yamaha as well) I wonder if I decide down the road to get a seperate DAC, I need to figure out if there would be a way to bypass the DAC in the player. Not saying that would happen, just thinking out loud.

SVS PC13 Ultra
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP

I have had several Audio Club Buddies, who are huge vinyl fans, say without reservation, that my digital setup will compete with any of their turntables, without the hassle. But that is neither here nor there.

There is a huge selection of SACDs (and their digital download partners, DSD) available. I cannot find every single album I used to love and cherish, but a surprising amount. Check out Acoustic Sounds, or even Mobile Fidelity.

The bottom line, SACD/DSDs are out there.... you may not see them in your local store, but they certainly are easy enough to find.

I can find virtually anything I want in other high resolution digital downloads, HD Tracks, Acoustic Sounds, etc., so there is a huge selection of virtually any kind of music you prefer in high res downloads and many of which are available in DSD.

Bottom line, your playback preference is what matters. If you prefer vinyl that is fine, but please don't say it is because what is available in high res and DSD is limited. I believe even my CD rips sound as good if not better when played through HQPlayer, upsampled and converted through my T+A. If you prefer vinyl it is because you prefer vinyl, not because it sounds better or that music can not be found in digital formats...

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

SimAudio Moon 260 DT - you can thank me later.
    McIntosh/Sonus Faber/SimAudio, Woo Audio and Sennheiser stuff.

Well, I have no doubt they are fantastic, no question there, its just that there is nothing on SACD I want. Most dacs today handle DSD, it is almost standard, even on a couple of sub $1k dacs. If I end up with a player that handles SACD, no worries, I just don't think I will ever use that ability unless they come out with an SACD I want, but I don't see that happening sadly. I do see a couple of Rush SACDs out there, but only one can I afford and it is not my first choice in the Rush discography, but then I am a big fan anyway. The problem is that the rest of the discography is not on SACD. I have other favorites, but they all sound best on vinyl....I digress.
    I hardly ever play CDs anymore as all my CDs have been ripped and stored in a NAS. But if I were in the market for a CD player today I would not buy anything that cannot do SACDs. Not having SACD capability will definitely limit the value of the unit in the future if you ever want to sell it.

That said, of the units mentioned, my vote goes to the Oppo 205.

I have had several Audio Club Buddies, who are huge vinyl fans, say without reservation, that my digital setup will compete with any of their turntables, without the hassle. But that is neither here nor there.

There is a huge selection of SACDs (and their digital download partners, DSD) available. I cannot find every single album I used to love and cherish, but a surprising amount. Check out Acoustic Sounds, or even Mobile Fidelity.

The bottom line, SACD/DSDs are out there.... you may not see them in your local store, but they certainly are easy enough to find.

I can find virtually anything I want in other high resolution digital downloads, HD Tracks, Acoustic Sounds, etc., so there is a huge selection of virtually any kind of music you prefer in high res downloads and many of which are available in DSD.

Bottom line, your playback preference is what matters. If you prefer vinyl that is fine, but please don't say it is because what is available in high res and DSD is limited. I believe even my CD rips sound as good if not better when played through HQPlayer, upsampled and converted through my T+A. If you prefer vinyl it is because you prefer vinyl, not because it sounds better or that music can not be found in digital formats...
    I don't know why or where you got that this is about vinyl vs CD vs digital, etc. In my world obviously, there is plenty of room for both. I do not have a DAC capable of High-rez or DSD, etc. It is not important to me right now. If I happen to get one down the road, then wonderful, I certainly would not avoid such a thing. (Actually, it is next to impossible to avoid DSD capable DACS these days, even the lowest priced ones now have that ability. Again, I don't see why one would want to avoid anyway).
    Sure, I don't buy music "files" for a few reasons, but none of them have to do with sound quality.
    If I ran across a SACD that was say one of my all time favorite albums and was reasonably priced to me (assuming I had the playback ability), I would definitely pick it up. I have looked at those places you listed, but have not found any SACD versions of my favorites, at in a cursory search. If I end up with SACD ability, I will take a deeper look.

Quote Originally Posted by DogsPart2 View Post
    SimAudio Moon 260 DT - you can thank me later.
    Beautiful looking player and no doubt a performer, but well out of my financial range

Quote Originally Posted by nicoff View Post
    I hardly ever play CDs anymore as all my CDs have been ripped and stored in a NAS. But if I were in the market for a CD player today I would not buy anything that cannot do SACDs. Not having SACD capability will definitely limit the value of the unit in the future if you ever want to sell it.

That said, of the units mentioned, my vote goes to the Oppo 205.
    I don't sell gear. I buy gear to use and I hope to last a long time (realistically), so I do not worry about resell value. I have no issue if whatever I end up with can do SACD. I'm not opposed, I just don't know if I would ever have the need, but if I do then there I have it.

Here is my short list so far:
    Marantz CD5005 (clone of what I already have if I must)
    Marantz SA8005
    Marantz HD-CD1
    Marantz ND8006
    Yamaha CD-S700
    Yamaha CD-S1000
    Rotel RCD1572
    Emotiva ERC3
    Any of those on that list I should reject straight away and why?

I have heard a couple of complaints about motor noise regarding the ERC3, but I question the complainers, something sounds off with them.

What did not make or dropped off my list:

Arcam CDS27 – While I like the fact that it has balanced and unbalanced and all manner of hook-up options, I also found out that it is plagued with problems and Arcam knows about them and acknowledges them. Why would I want that and I take issue with any company that knowingly tries to pawn off inferior goods on people.

Cambridge = Of course the Topaz players are bested by other players in the same price range. While Cambridge has now priced their Azur players out of my stretch ability, the bigger issue I have is getting information from them about the build. I don’t get into the weeds, but Cambridge was unable to tell me anything about the drive or the dac and its implementation and even why they think that their machine might be better than any of the others on my list or even the same. I have had this problem before talking to them in past, it’s like they know nothing about what they are producing? Don’t get me wrong, I like the looks of the units and all, but looks (like price), does not equate to performance in any way.

Banned

Print your list, pin it on the wall, throw a dart. Of course, that is just my opinion. In market for a new CD player or Transport and DAC - would like some opinion/suggestions

Here is my short list so far:
    Marantz CD5005 (clone of what I already have if I must)
    Marantz SA8005
    Marantz HD-CD1
    Marantz ND8006
    Yamaha CD-S700
    Yamaha CD-S1000
    Rotel RCD1572
    Emotiva ERC3
    Any of those on that list I should reject straight away and why?

I have heard a couple of complaints about motor noise regarding the ERC3, but I question the complainers, something sounds off with them.

What did not make or dropped off my list:

Arcam CDS27 – While I like the fact that it has balanced and unbalanced and all manner of hook-up options, I also found out that it is plagued with problems and Arcam knows about them and acknowledges them. Why would I want that and I take issue with any company that knowingly tries to pawn off inferior goods on people.

Cambridge = Of course the Topaz players are bested by other players in the same price range. While Cambridge has now priced their Azur players out of my stretch ability, the bigger issue I have is getting information from them about the build. I don’t get into the weeds, but Cambridge was unable to tell me anything about the drive or the dac and its implementation and even why they think that their machine might be better than any of the others on my list or even the same. I have had this problem before talking to them in past, it’s like they know nothing about what they are producing? Don’t get me wrong, I like the looks of the units and all, but looks (like price), does not equate to performance in any way.
    Was not trying to make this a debate on various formats. Was only suggesting that you consider having SACD capability because I feel it is worth it.

Weather some one is a fan of vinyl or other formats has no bearing one way or the other to me .... as long as enjoying the music is primary...

Of those on your list, I own an Oppo 105 (because it has one very special purpose that very few had)... However I previously had a Marantz SA8005 and in my honest opinion, I felt it was a more musical spinner than my Oppo.

I also had purchased a Yamaha CD-S1000 prior to getting the Marantz. I really liked the look and feel of the machine, but unfortunately it was defective and they did not have a replacement, so I went with the Marantz.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by nicoff View Post
    Print your list, pin it on the wall, throw a dart. Of course, that is just my opinion. In market for a new CD player or Transport and DAC - would like some opinion/suggestions
    I know your kidding around, but actually, that is not a half-bad idea!

Was not trying to make this a debate on various formats. Was only suggesting that you consider having SACD capability because I feel it is worth it.

Weather some one is a fan of vinyl or other formats has no bearing one way or the other to me .... as long as enjoying the music is primary...

Of those on your list, I own an Oppo 105 (because it has one very special purpose that very few had)... However I previously had a Marantz SA8005 and in my honest opinion, I felt it was a more musical spinner than my Oppo.

I also had purchased a Yamaha CD-S1000 prior to getting the Marantz. I really liked the look and feel of the machine, but unfortunately it was defective and they did not have a replacement, so I went with the Marantz.
    Yes, the Marantz SA8005 and ND8005 are serious contenders for me, but the jury is still out of course. From what I am hearing about "service" or standing behind the product (lack thereof), concerning Yamaha, the Yamaha units are losing their footing on my list.

I have been using the HD-CD1 for over a year now as a transport into various DAC's and it does a good job. Only listened to the internal DAC for a few discs and it acceptable though not outstanding. But at the price on sale at Accessories4Less you could pair it with a DAC and be within your budget. It's half size chassis is also a plus.

https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...-player/1.html
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

You have to listen to what you buy, so it's a terrible idea I'd recommend trying a couple of the top contenders in your system buying from a place that will allow a return, which is almost all online retail.

Years ago I bought an ERC-1, not heavy use any more but still going. I bought it over a slightly more expensive NAD player, I Compared thw two side by side. The ERC had a larger sound stage and more neutral, however, it lacked tonal color. The ERC was more substantially built and had an aluminum remote that also helped the decision. I haven't always had that type of luck with their products though.

I am not a fan of most anything Rotel, the sound don't appeal to me at all.

I hate to hear Yamaha may have QC issues or customer service. I did a shootout between an entry level changer between them, Denon and Onkyo. The Yamaha was cheaper and I preferred it's more natural midrange. The other two had better bass control.

I have yet to heard a Marantz I couldn't sit and enjoy listening to.

The point of all that, yes they are players in the same price range, yet there are sonic differences if that's important to you.

Schiit's return policy sucks but maybe they were having people take advantage. The Gundnir is a good sounding DAC if wanting to shed a bit of the warmth of Marantz yet retain musicality.

I know your kidding around, but actually, that is not a half-bad idea!

SVS PC13 Ultra
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP

You have to listen to what you buy, so it's a terrible idea I'd recommend trying a couple of the top contenders in your system buying from a place that will allow a return, which is almost all online retail.

Years ago I bought an ERC-1, not heavy use any more but still going. I bought it over a slightly more expensive NAD player, I Compared thw two side by side. The ERC had a larger sound stage and more neutral, however, it lacked tonal color. The ERC was more substantially built and had an aluminum remote that also helped the decision. I haven't always had that type of luck with their products though.

Schiit's return policy sucks but maybe they were having people take advantage. The Gundnir is a good sounding DAC if wanting to shed a bit of the warmth of Marantz yet retain musicality.
    Ha ha.....I know, I had my tongue firmly planted in cheek when I replied to the dart idea as well. Blind purchasing should always be avoided whenever it can for anything, not just audio and especially at the dollar amount we are talking.

Glad to hear about your experience with the ERC-1, that means it stays on my list.

Yes, I will try to listen to whatever I can on my list of course, but keeping in mind it also depends on the downstream gear all the way to the speakers. Sadly, I only have one small HiFi shop near me and I don't know what they have, but I am about to find out this weekend.
    As for purchase and return to demo gear, that is a bad and costly idea I can not afford. First, there is shipping both ways, then you have restocking fees, so buy the time I got through 4 items I would have blown around half my budget. Sure, Amazon is easiest, but they are starting to crackdown and rightfully so. I have returned all of 2 items legitimately, in all the years I have used Amazon, but still, I do not want to fall into the abuser category as there is heavy penalty for that.
    So as is the case for the 99% of us out there, home demo is pretty much not an option. That makes it a challenge when it comes to speakers moreso.

I like your Gundnir idea, something to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I have been using the HD-CD1 for over a year now as a transport into various DAC's and it does a good job. Only listened to the internal DAC for a few discs and it acceptable though not outstanding. But at the price on sale at Accessories4Less you could pair it with a DAC and be within your budget. It's half size chassis is also a plus.

https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...-player/1.html
    Good idea to consider, thanks

Well, as it goes in HiFi, I just learned the last remaining HiFi shop near me is no more. Damn!
    So now I have decided to travel 35 miles to a shop that used to be near me. I hate that because I will have to make a separate trip to purchase possibly (better than having it shipped). The upside though is that they have most of the units I want to look at....I think. Still, I would rather spend the expensive gas, time and travel and make an informed purchase than a costly blind purchase. The only caveat is that should I need to bring it back in or something, it could get quite cumbersome. Of course I do not anticipate needing to do such a thing.

In market for a new CD player or Transport and DAC - would like some opinion/suggestions

35 miles is nothing. If you don't have the time or money to travel 35 miles one way to demo equipment intended for purchase then you really cannot complain about shipping cross country, inability to demo locally and all the inherent issues both cost and time wise to buy site unseen or heard.

For most of us there has never been a situation when it's convenient to walk next-door (or be separated by just a couple of miles) and buy stereo gear.
    Avanti Audio

arc sp-11 or ls27 | arc d130 | vpi classic 2 w/periphery ring w/Si3N4 bearing & sapphire thrust plate & 2x jmw 10.5i | phoenix engineering eagle & road runner | ortofon cadenza bronze, miyajima zero mono | sentec eq11 w/ Sylvania 5751 TMBP & CBS 7318 | auditorium a23 | canton ref 9 dc | 2x m&k v125 | oppo bdp-95 | chord qutest | lumin d1 & sbooster | avanti audio vivace cables

Quote Originally Posted by MikeCh View Post
    35 miles is nothing. If you don't have the time or money to travel 35 miles one way to demo equipment intended for purchase then you really cannot complain about shipping cross country, inability to demo locally and all the inherent issues both cost and time wise to buy site unseen or heard.

For most of us there has never been a situation when it's convenient to walk next-door (or be separated by just a couple of miles) and buy stereo gear.
    +1

Yes, 35 miles is nothing, there is nothing to complain about! My dealer is 29 miles away, and I always felt blessed that he was "just around the corner", as opposed to be at a great distance. I feel lucky that I have it so much easier than many other audiophiles. But it's a matter of perspective I guess. Glass half full or half empty, and all that jazz.
    Simaudio Moon Neo 260 DT CD Transport / MIT SL-Matrix Plus AES/EBU digital cable / Schiit Yggdrasil Analog 2 DAC / Octave HP 700 preamp / Octave RE 320 stereo amp with Super Black Box / Reference 3A Reflector monitors on Sound Anchors Signature Stands / dual JL Audio Fathom 112 v2 subwoofers on ASC SubTraps / ZenWave Audio D4 and SMSG cables / Acoustic treatment: tube traps, Tri-panels, window plugs, ceiling diffusers (all ASC), large absorbing panels (Acoustics First), diverse carpets chosen for acoustic properties: wool, polypropylene basket-weave

My last reply. I thank everyone for their suggestions. I did not come to get jumped on. I was not really "complaining" about having to travel the miles to the shop, I included all the pros about it as well, which I can see were all conveniently ignored to meet some stupid agenda.
    I travel 27 miles each way to work everyday for the last 12 years. It is not easy getting time off to do such things, so "convenience" is only part of it.
    All I was doing was pointing out that the shop used to be much closer, now it is quite far just for audio gear, but it is important to demo when one can. My pros about it and willingness to do so are being ignored and the rest taken out of context. I don't have time for games.

I'm gone.

My last reply. I thank everyone for their suggestions. I did not come to get jumped on. I was not really "complaining" about having to travel the miles to the shop, I included all the pros about it as well, which I can see were all conveniently ignored to meet some stupid agenda.
    Count me confused.
    Simaudio Moon Neo 260 DT CD Transport / MIT SL-Matrix Plus AES/EBU digital cable / Schiit Yggdrasil Analog 2 DAC / Octave HP 700 preamp / Octave RE 320 stereo amp with Super Black Box / Reference 3A Reflector monitors on Sound Anchors Signature Stands / dual JL Audio Fathom 112 v2 subwoofers on ASC SubTraps / ZenWave Audio D4 and SMSG cables / Acoustic treatment: tube traps, Tri-panels, window plugs, ceiling diffusers (all ASC), large absorbing panels (Acoustics First), diverse carpets chosen for acoustic properties: wool, polypropylene basket-weave

OP: “Hi...please advise me on subject X.”
    AS Community: “ABC to XYZ”
    OP: “ I didn’t come here to be told what to do. I’m outey!”In market for a new CD player or Transport and DAC - would like some opinion/suggestions

In market for a new CD player or Transport and DAC - would like some opinion/suggestions🧐🤯🤯

Is it me or has there been a spate of very thin-skinned participants recently who have taken offense to reasonable comments/feedback from ASers??

I am similarly confused and a bit bemused tbh!

Ah well...it iz what it iiiiiizz In market for a new CD player or Transport and DAC - would like some opinion/suggestions
    Cyril
    Speakers/Amp/Preamp: Thiel CS2.4 / ARC Ref 110 / ARC Ref 3
    Sources: Basis 2001/Graham2.2/Nagra BPS/Benz Micro Glider SL, Dynavector 20X2-L, ARC CD7, Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Cables/Power/Other: Nordost Heimdall ICs, SCs / Shunyata Hydra 8, Shunyata Python Helix PC / VPI 16.5, HRS Nimbus isolation system

Mom used to say, it's not what you say so much as how you say it.

On the other hand, written words don't have inflexion or facial expression, it's better to give someone the benefit of doubt opposed to assuming something negative. In addition, you have to hang out a while to get a feel for folks on a forum.

I do have to say I've been on forums since the early 2k's, if someone can't take it hear, they will eat you alive on most other forums. (I had to say most as I haven't been to every audio forum on the web, I'm sure )

SVS PC13 Ultra
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP

make sure you listen to the yamaha first , occassionally they have excessive drive noise . i am using a marantz sa8005 for a fair while , it replaced a cd player much more expensive and its been excellent , in fact if i see another i will buy . built well and sounds good .

modwright can mod the 8005 too if you look on their forum

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=145646.0
    1]bel canto EIX/ F5 monoblocks . BC cd2, tannoy eaton legacy 2]bel canto pre 5 ,arcam a85 , black ice modded dac
    modded dac , marantz sa8005, Verity audio Rienzi

Quote Originally Posted by Al M. View Post
    Count me confused.
    Agreed... I wish I could actually travel to any audio store. The closest to me is 4-5 hours.

One other thing I feel like saying here.... when I make a post requesting others opinions I really value the responses, all of the responses. Each and every response may not be exactly what I want to hear, but there are many times that another ASer points out something that I have not even considered!

So please, when I again post a thread asking for opinions, which I surely will, please know that I value your input!

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

On the other hand, written words don't have inflexion or facial expression, it's better to give someone the benefit of doubt opposed to assuming something negative. In addition, you have to hang out a while to get a feel for folks on a forum.

I do have to say I've been on forums since the early 2k's, if someone can't take it hear, they will eat you alive on most other forums. (I had to say most as I haven't been to every audio forum on the web, I'm sure )
    Now I take that as an insult.... you certainly have been on every forum

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

And don't forget, " two Wrongs, Don't Make it Right " which means , it is not acceptable to do something bad to someone just because they did something bad to you first
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital coax,
    Sonos Connect, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Ultra Mini, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205 Signal Sleuth, Sonos Connect, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable,
    Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40 w/m505A tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Stillpoints Ultra Mini, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh 4300V, McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

thin skin will never make on the internet, but I get your point.

I'm gone.
    where did you go ?
    Cheers ! …. Dave

Question about the AMR CD-777. Has anyone owned one or heard one? It has been around for 10 years or so, but I've read great things about it as both a CD player and a DAC. Thanks.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team