digital cable of choice for N10 coaxial vs USB
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi there
    New owner of a N10 here, wondering what do you guys use as digital cable to your DACs.
    Do you prefer USB or SPDIF interface?
    Of course using USB the DAC's clock takes control and on coax the N10's clock steps into action.
    If you also can name your cable brand of choice, that would be very interesting.
    I for myself compared an Ultra USB from Transparent vs a (borrowed, unknown brand) coaxial. The results are mixed on my side, to be honest, that's why I want some advise from your experience.
    I use an Accuphase DC37, don't know which clock is more refined, Accu's vs N10's.
    Cheers, thanks in advance.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: digital cable of choice for N10 coaxial vs USB

Welcome to the forum, thank you for joining.
    Joe

Luxman MQ-300, JBL 4312SE 70th Anniversary,
    Pass XA25, McIntosh MCLK12, Job INTegrated, Cary 300B SE, JBL 4367, Revel Studio 2, JBL 4312D, Klipsch RP-160M, Klipsch RB-75, KEF LS50, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES, ASL Wave monos, Kimber Kables, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables, Burmester 948, Metric Halo LIO-8, Linear Tube Audio MZ2, Bricasti M1SE, Naim Supernait 2.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice to meet you

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your question. Clearly each person will have his/her own preference here and itís important to draw your own conclusions based on the unique attributes of your own system and listening environment. This said...

I have a N10 and have been using both the USB and the AES/EBU outputs for quite some time.

In the past I think I preferred AES/EBU when listening to PCM. Today however I use an Ansuz D2 USB cable exclusively going to my dac, a Lampizator Pacific. I also use a Kubala Sosna Realization USB cable from time to time. Another top performing cable in my opinion...

Iíll leave you with this thought... if you feel you have a world class dac and are confident in its clock you may satisfied with the USB connection. If however you feel you want to derive max benefit from the capabilities of the N10, coax may be your preferred choice. Hope this helps and congrats on a great component such as the N10!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

AES should have a more consistent sound , due to there being less non spec compliant makers.
    what most don't know or don't care is that there is specs for all we use . What makes them sound diffent mostly has to do with jitter caused by a host of reasons . The Dac and your aurendar each have an imp the difference of them and what the cables change by being off spec make the sound vary greatly .
    If your dac does not need usb power , use a power cutter. Next I would buy a simple sub 2.0 and 3.0 printer cable. They will give you a baseline to use.
    After this if usb try one that has the least effect again a baseline to guide you.
    After this begins what you feel you need. Others may have other views on this too.

Post Thanks / Like

@La_Dolce_Vita, @Alrainbow: Thank you very much for your input. I use an Accuphase DC37 DAC, unfortunately no AES. Still experimenting, for me USB has more detail, but Coax it's more... musical, should I say.