Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Re: Lumin X1 Fiber Optic Network Discussions

Quote Originally Posted by vinci92 View Post
    The brand new Lumin X1. Impressive even with ethernet connexion (Oxco router wow!), but I got noise issue between tracks when resampling.
    I've tested this issue independently from Li On, who has already replied your e-mail. No tick sound is heard with resampling turned off (as default). No tick sound is heard when upsampling PCM gapless albums (e.g. concert) to DSD either. With non-gapless albums, only with the pre-amp volume turned high could a really faint tick sound be heard at the end of some tracks.

This is a difficulty that the DSD format brings. If we pick two random separate tracks from DSD album and concatenate them together using a computer, there can be a tick sound at the merge point when played back by any DAC too.

If you're not satisfied with the Lumin internal upsampling, I recommend you play them with resampling turned OFF (as default), or use Roon DSP Engine to upsample on an i7 PC. With a powerful CPU more sophisticated upsampling can be done.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Quote Originally Posted by wklie View Post
    I've tested this issue independently from Li On, who has already replied your e-mail. No tick sound is heard with resampling turned off (as default). No tick sound is heard when upsampling PCM gapless albums (e.g. concert) to DSD either. With non-gapless albums, only with the pre-amp volume turned high could a really faint tick sound be heard at the end of some tracks.

This is a difficulty that the DSD format brings. If we pick two random separate tracks from DSD album and concatenate them together using a computer, there can be a tick sound at the merge point when played back by any DAC too.

If you're not satisfied with the Lumin internal upsampling, I recommend you play them with resampling turned OFF (as default), or use Roon DSP Engine to upsample on an i7 PC. With a powerful CPU more sophisticated upsampling can be done.
    I understand... As I said, I'm going to investigate: It's maybe my files or other devices in my setup like my NAS electrical connection. I'm going to install my new router and power supply first. Thank you for your intervention.

Envoyé de mon LG-H933 en utilisant Tapatalk

A Hong Kong audiophile forum moderator has written his impression of Lumin X1 copper LAN vs Fiber network:

LAN - Smooth, separation, comfortable
    Fiber - Dark background, texture, treble and bass extension

Edit: This setup uses the modified Cisco switch in post #45.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Audioshark

A Hong Kong audiophile forum moderator has written his impression of Lumin X1 copper LAN vs Fiber network:

LAN - Smooth, separation, comfortable
    Fiber - Dark background, texture, treble and bass extension
    Very similar to my findings after nearly 400 hours here. I would not say the Fiber is a hands down winner either, but there are subtle differences between the Fiber and Ethernet, not totally apparent at first, which are now starting to arise.

After 400 hours, very impressed with what we are hearing. There is treble extension without harshness. Great separation. 3D. Musical, without being forward, aggressive or processed sounding.

Definitely a step up over the S1 IMO.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

I hope I don't step on any toes, but I've been in and around this discussion from day one. I have some close friends who have a thread on a computer audio site and they've been demoing equipment etc... for a few years now. I personally have heard most of the 'home made' solutions etc... I have an EMO EN-70e coming any day now. When you already have a top LPS, this maybe the best solution going and it's 135 delivered. It's a filter, but it doesn't touch the music. Two of my friends like this set up better than using their audiophile switches with a top LPS on the conversion end of the optical connection etc.... This is for any streaming feed and not only a Lumin that seems to have it built in.

My close friend also is the US distributor for Waversa. They are making a true audiophile switch with everything built in along with a TOP router. The thing is that everyone's set up is going to sound different. Just like electrical, we all have different issues when using an ethernet feed. Cables too, are very very important. I've sent Mike the Waversa info and maybe he'll get in touch with my friend to try it out to see if he hears a positive difference or not.

For me, in order, my favorite servers are the The Memory Player, Aurender N10 and then it's a toss up between the Lumin (a bit soft for my taste, but musical and a top choice), The Music Vault and Antipodes. That said, I like my Mac mini with Paul Hynes LPS better than all, but the Aurender and TMP (it was hand built by Steve Nugent of Empirical Audio for his showing off his DAC at shows). Everything is turned off, but the ethernet. Even bluetooth is turned off when I'm not making selections as everything adds noise and the more programs working in the background makes noise etc....

This is why each set up is so different. Hope I haven't stepped on any toes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ctsooner View Post
    II have an EMO EN-70e coming any day now. When you already have a top LPS, this maybe the best solution going and it's 135 delivered. It's a filter, but it doesn't touch the music. Two of my friends like this set up better than using their audiophile switches with a top LPS on the conversion end of the optical connection etc....
    One of the reasons for the audio benefit from LAN isolator and LPS may possibly be related to reduction of leakage current in Ethernet. (Leakage current is also eliminated by the fiber optic network in X1.) I hope it works well for you.

When you have a chance to listen to the Lumin X1, please do. I have a customer who prefers X1 to the QX-5 he has been using.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Totally different sounds. Lumin a bit softer, QX5 a bit more detailed, but still tonally nice. Both are good units. I'm actually having a DAC built into my Memory Player. They are using the newest quad chip by AK and using stealth caps and top power supplies etc... I haven't heard it yet, but they think it will match the LH DAvinci mk 2 that a couple of my friends own and use with their Memory Player (used only as a server).

Brinkman is one of the most listenable DAC's I've ever heard. They too have done a wonderful job. I"m very very picky. I don't like the Chord Dave as so many do. I also find the DCS stack to be a bit dry for my tastes. I did like Mike's top of the line MBL stack and I didn't like their first DAC's before the new one.

I'll listen to the Lumin again when I'm around one. I always keep an open ear and mind. Good sound can always make me change my thoughts, lol.

There is now an audiophile version of the Cisco SG112-24 Compact switch modified with Connor Winfield OCXO. This dealer also supplies CORNING ClearCurve glass fiber for Lumin X1 as well:

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hiendy.com%2Fhififorum%2Fforu m.php%3Fmod%3Dviewthread%26tid%3D118289&edit-text=&act=url

https://www.clonesaudio.com/product-page/sg112-24-mod

Price is HKD5899 ~ roughly USD756. Power supply for the switch needs to be purchased separately.
    I bought the "Cisco SG112-24 Mod" and a pair of "Cisco GLC-ZX-SMD Compatible 1000BASE-ZX SFP 1550nm 80km DOM Transceiver Module".

Now I want the best optic cord to link between the Cisco and the X1. In your opinion, what kind of cord and what brand would be the best in your option?

Now I want the best optic cord to link between the Cisco and the X1. In your opinion, what kind of cord and what brand would be the best in your option?
    We use 3M Volition simply because it's available for us to purchase locally. A dealer claims that he finds Corning ClearCurve single-mode glass fiber to be the best - however, it's not clear to me from where can one purchase it with the proper connectors, as a google search mostly shows bare fiber only.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

I bought the "Cisco SG112-24 Mod" and a pair of "Cisco GLC-ZX-SMD Compatible 1000BASE-ZX SFP 1550nm 80km DOM Transceiver Module".

Those optics may be too "hot" for your short connection between X1 and switch. You bought extend long range (ZX class) transceivers rated for up to 80km. I would check with Lumin before plugging those in.

Quote Originally Posted by vortrex View Post
    Those optics may be too "hot" for your short connection between X1 and switch. You bought extend long range (ZX class) transceivers rated for up to 80km. I would check with Lumin before plugging those in.
    I think they've been tested... posted a couple weeks ago in this thread

We have tested different single mode SFT modules and we found out different wavelengths have different sound signature.

LUMIN / WestminsterLab

Hello, since I bought the Clones CiscoSG112-24 MOD and that I got now a pair of identical FSP (Cisco GLC-ZX-SMD Compatible 1000BASE-ZX SFP 1550nm 80km DOM Transceiver Module), I still need to know what kind of fiber cord (Duplex / Simplex / UPC / APC) connectors (SC / SC / LC / ST / FC). It should be the same connectors at both ends. Can someone from Lumin show me an precise exemple with a link?

Thank you verry much!

Vincent
    Attached Images Attached Images

You want single mode, duplex, LC connectors, UPC polish. Same on both sides.

Thank you Vortrex

I'll reiterate though, I would either get different SFPs or put attenuators on both sides.

From Fiberstore...

"* A 10 dB optical attenuator should be inserted between the fiber-optic cable plant and the receiving port on the SFP at each end of the link whenever the fiber-optic cable span loss is less than 8 dB."

Optical loss is about .25 dB per km and .35 dB per connector. You will have only about 1 dB of loss. This is going to create a bad quality connection.

I'll reiterate though, I would either get different SFPs or put attenuators on both sides.

From Fiberstore...

"* A 10 dB optical attenuator should be inserted between the fiber-optic cable plant and the receiving port on the SFP at each end of the link whenever the fiber-optic cable span loss is less than 8 dB."

Optical loss is about .25 dB per km and .35 dB per connector. You will have only about 1 dB of loss. This is going to create a bad quality connection.
    Ok so wich one is the best?

The correct SFP from a networking perspective would be multimode, which is short range and intended for inside wiring.

https://www.fs.com/products/11774.html

I don't know why Lumin is suggesting long range for SFPs. A question for them I suppose. If you have to get a long range for some reason I would get https://www.fs.com/products/48928.html.

Guys, now that the cost to do this is getting into the $800 plus range you may want to look at the $134 delivered EMO filter or even the $780 Waversa device that does the optical conversion. I have had two separate optical isolation switches in the were audiophile grade from Cisco and the filter I just installed had down the same thing. Doesn’t change the sound a bit. Lowered the. Lose floor big time. I use the Ethernet connection on my Ayre QX5 and stream. Their Ethernet internal board already has broken up the connection and uses optical and it also has a built in power conditioning unit. I have a few friends who have also switched to the EMO filters and say they get the same great results.

Just saying there may or may not be a couple of easier ways to do this and possibly for less. That waversa unit also has usb connections etc. I don’t know that much about the waversa other thank the distributor is a good friend, but ketch would never have taken it on if he didn’t feel it was the best. Keep posting as I love learning more. Thanks guys.

$800?

Two SFPs = $22, one media converter = $23, one patch cable = $3. I come up with $48.

There is now an audiophile version of the Cisco SG112-24 Compact switch modified with Connor Winfield OCXO. This dealer also supplies CORNING ClearCurve glass fiber for Lumin X1 as well:

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hiendy.com%2Fhififorum%2Fforu m.php%3Fmod%3Dviewthread%26tid%3D118289&edit-text=&act=url

https://www.clonesaudio.com/product-page/sg112-24-mod

Price is HKD5899 ~ roughly USD756. Power supply for the switch needs to be purchased separately.
    This is about 8k usd? Then you need an external LPS to max it out. Is this correct? Curious. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ctsooner View Post
    This is about 8k usd? Then you need an external LPS to max it out. Is this correct? Curious. Thanks
    No it's 800 USD... Yes I got my own LPS.

I don't know why Lumin is suggesting long range for SFPs. A question for them I suppose.
    We recommend single mode SFP based on subjective listening test results. That's consistent with similar findings in computeraudiophile when doing optical network isolation with different DACs. A dealer has done listening tests of different SFP modules. I'll see if I can find out more about his results next week.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Hello Peter,

I hope you are well. I spent several hours this week reading about SFPs and Fiber Cables in order to buy the right combination. Unfortunately, I bought several products that do not seem combatible or, as Vortrex mentioned, could damage the Lumin or the SG112-24 MOD if no attenuator is added. I think all these products will end up in the trash.

Please, could I have an example of an SFP / Cables Combination that allows me to reach a single mode connection safely?

I would prefer a Cisco SFP and the best quality cable. My budget can be stretched up to 1000 USD.

Thank you very much in advance.

The most common 10km and anything below should not cause any damage to the SFP for short length without attenuation. We've also tested various models from fs.com with no problem. In particular, we have been using TP-Link TL-SM311LS (single mode 1310nm) for a long time.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Hello Peter,

I hope you are well. I spent several hours this week reading about SFPs and Fiber Cables in order to buy the right combination. Unfortunately, I bought several products that do not seem combatible or, as Vortrex mentioned, could damage the Lumin or the SG112-24 MOD if no attenuator is added. I think all these products will end up in the trash.

Please, could I have an example of an SFP / Cables Combination that allows me to reach a single mode connection safely?

I would prefer a Cisco SFP and the best quality cable. My budget can be stretched up to 1000 USD.

Thank you very much in advance.
    Honestly, I'm just going to task my computer guy. He's much more knowledgable than I am, lol. I'd like to share this link for some folks. Was told that this is a special device, but that most folks screw up the batteries. If they just leave the unit on, they'll be fine. It's a 1500 unit, but go read about what it does. There are also youtube vid's on it.

http://www.waversasystemsusa.com/wav...xuhaquuc1v043a

Audioshark

I’ve been patiently waiting while I got over 500 hours on the X1. Since that time, I’ve been experimenting with the Ethernet Vs Optical connection. I find the Optical connection gives you greater clarity and focus, with more energy in the highs, but with that, comes an increase in sibilance.

I like them both and it depends on the speakers, personal preferences and the rest of the system as to which someone will ultimately chose. But, never the less, having choices is good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I’ve been patiently waiting while I got over 500 hours on the X1. Since that time, I’ve been experimenting with the Ethernet Vs Optical connection. I find the Optical connection gives you greater clarity and focus, with more energy in the highs, but with that, comes an increase in sibilance.
    Last night we had a Lumin X1 event at Volent Speaker Hong Kong office. The host played the same music after switching among copper LAN, multi-mode SFP, single-mode 1310nm SFP, and single-mode 1550nm SFP available from fs.com. The host and the guests agreed that different SFP modules sound different. (Note: single mode and multi mode require different types of fiber.)

Although there is no universal consensus on which sounds best (which is normal and a necessity for different manufacturers in the industry to exist), this finding implies that it is possible to tune the sound of Lumin X1 for different preferences and systems by trying different inexpensive SFP modules.

Going forward I'd recommend the use of optical network switch instead of non-SFP fiber media converter (FMC), to allow for the flexibility of using different SFP modules. Typical FMC is not that much cheaper than optical network switch anyway.

As for why different SFP module can contribute to different SQ, my hypothesis is that different electronics with different noise profile may impact SQ. Inserting an SFP module is actually adding electronics to the player. As Mike says, choice is good. There will be users who prefer specific types of SFP, and there will be users who prefer copper LAN (in a really well optimized network setup with LPS for everything.)

A visitor who heard the same setup two weeks ago said that with the Lumin X1 burned in, he heard improved details this time.

We also demonstrated Roon DSD512 upsampling for playback by Lumin X1.

Details of the setup:
    - Lumin X1
    - Volent x Clones Cisco SG112-24 OCXO modified network switch
    - Plixir LPS for the network switch
    - Bespoke passive preamplifier
    - WestminsterLab mono amp
    - WestminsterLab cables (including WestminsterLab Lumin X1 DC cable at GBP1000).
    - Volent Paragon VL-3.5 speakers
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Sounds like just one more reason to directly attach the music to the X1.
    Bud

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR for source, Denali 2000 (2) for amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson four shelf maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
    Sounds like just one more reason to directly attach the music to the X1.
    A small flash drive may be fine, but a larger spinning or SSD drive introduces its own electric noise, EMI, and vibration (for spinning drive), and draws power from Lumin player, so it exerts additional demand to the power supply. As we know power supply is of utmost importance to audio SQ...

Several Lumin app browsing features are unavailable with the use of direct attached USB drive. Browsing of large drives will also be slow. So we always recommend the use of MinimServer or Lumin L1.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Sounds like you need to fix the power supply to handle a direct attached drive, which uses milliamps.
    Bud

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR for source, Denali 2000 (2) for amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson four shelf maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.

Previously Corning ClearCurve single mode fiber was mentioned.
    I got this link from computeraudiophile:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/2m-LC-LC-Duplex-9-125um-Corning-ClearCurve-Single-Mode-Bend-Insensitive-Fiber/232757309843?hash=item36316ab193:g:9~QAAOSwzFVa7Oc o

Note: This is LC-LC duplex i.e. for use with a pair of SFP modules with one in an Ethernet switch with SFP, and the other one in Lumin X1.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Previously Corning ClearCurve single mode fiber was mentioned.
    I got this link from computeraudiophile:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/2m-LC-LC-Duplex-9-125um-Corning-ClearCurve-Single-Mode-Bend-Insensitive-Fiber/232757309843?hash=item36316ab193:g:9~QAAOSwzFVa7Oc o

Note: This is LC-LC duplex i.e. for use with a pair of SFP modules with one in an Ethernet switch with SFP, and the other one in Lumin X1.
    Yeah, I got the cleancurve Single Mode Patch Cable from FOSCO. I think I found the perfect combo for my Clones Audio SG112-24 MOD with a pair of high quality transceivers. Still waiting for the Linear Solution LPSUs (even for the modem and NAS) to complete the picture. My comments to come.

Yeah, I got the cleancurve Single Mode Patch Cable from FOSCO. I think I found the perfect combo for my Clones Audio SG112-24 MOD with a pair of high quality transceivers. Still waiting for the Linear Solution LPSUs (even for the modem and NAS) to complete the picture. My comments to come.

The Clones Audio Cisco SG112-24 MOD is finally in place with the CleanCurve duplex in single mode bridging between both electrical circuits (modem/home theater circuit to my music dedicated circuit)

Better sound!

I would say the music is better defined and the attacks (the beginning of each note) are more detailed but softer at the same time. I would not say compressing, but "polishing". I think the reclocking has something to do with it.

Hope not to have confuse or lost somebody with this description.

HDMI optical cables have been an effective alternative to HDMI copper cables for a few years. However, what exactly is the difference between them? One thing hard to ignore is the difference of material under the coating, in which there is fiber for HDMI optical cable and copper for HDMI copper cable. Taking reference from the DAC and AOC, there are facts such as the transmission of fiber is faster and the signals on fiber are more reliable.

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum Frank, thank you for joining.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankwang View Post
    HDMI optical cables have been an effective alternative to HDMI copper cables for a few years. However, what exactly is the difference between them? One thing hard to ignore is the difference of material under the coating, in which there is fiber for HDMI optical cable and copper for HDMI copper cable. Taking reference from the DAC and AOC, there are facts such as the transmission of fiber is faster and the signals on fiber are more reliable.
    Based on reports from videophile forums, HDMI optical cables typically offer much better signal integrity over long distance (e.g. 10m) for projector setups. More importantly, most report these cables to bring improved video quality (likely due to electrical noise isolation). However, the HDMI optical converter embedded in the cables draw power from the devices they connect to, so occasionally certain models of such cables have compatibility issue with certain devices. Since conversion is involved, they absolutely do not work over their spec unlike good quality copper cables - if you buy a 10.2Gbps HDMI optical cable they definitely will not work at 4K/60p.

Two guys in our company also use HDMI optical cable (brand FIBBR) in their home projectors. In fact I'm planning to get one such cable from a cheaper brand and see if I can observe video quality improvement in my LCD TV setup. When buying such a cable, make sure it supports HDMI 2.0a 18Gbps.

Some readers here may not know that our company actually started as a professional video(phile) scaler manufacturer (this is why our staff e-mail address is pixelmagic.com). In the old days good deinterlacing and good upscaling of DVD to the native resolution of the projector brought a huge improvement. This is analogous to upsampling in music, but DVD upscaling brings a much more pronounced improvement on a big screen. We could also make 24p output from DVD, when 24p was not part of the DVD standard, and no DVD player in that era could provide that.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

I need to connect an EdgeSwitch 8-150w up to a long MM fiber path (1 km). At that distance, I have to use 100mb fiber transceivers,

The question is whether the Edge switch hardware will support a 100mb SFP transceiver and run at 100mb?

The transceivers I have found are not on the compatibility list, but I didn't see any 100mb transceivers on the list so far.
    BTW, you guys always take form amazon?
    can i take this one: https://www.sfpcables.com/sfp-copper...t-cat-6a-7-20m
    factory outlets.

Quite unusual to have MM fiber run that distance. Why is your X1 1km away from the switch? The EdgeSwitch should support 100M SFPs but I would confirm with Ubiquiti.

The link you provide is for a 10G copper SFP with 30m distance.

The question is whether the Edge switch hardware will support a 100mb SFP transceiver and run at 100mb?

can i take this one: https://www.sfpcables.com/sfp-copper...t-cat-6a-7-20m
    SFP+ and 10GBASE are both NOT supported in Lumin X1, so the linked product will not work.

We only tested 1000BASE SFP.

We believe there is a chance 100BASE SFP may work, but we have not tested it and do not guarantee it.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

SFP+ and 10GBASE are both NOT supported in Lumin X1, so the linked product will not work.

We only tested 1000BASE SFP.

We believe there is a chance 100BASE SFP may work, but we have not tested it and do not guarantee it.
    Many thanks, so what is fit it?

We've tested several 1000BASE SFP: 850nm multi mode, 1310nm single mode and 1550nm single mode transceivers from fs.com and they work fine. The multi mode SFP we tested are limited to a distance of 550m I think. For 1km distance, consider 1000BASE 1310nm single mode.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Hello,
    second-hand 10Gb/s network adapter for Intel X520-DA2.
    Orig price: $95+$30 shipping fee(with code 5%)
    Now sale: $88
    10Gtek runs 10 years, quality 100% warranty.
    PM if you need.

second-hand 10Gb/s network adapter for Intel X520-DA2.
    10Gb/s is not compatible with Lumin X1.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

hey brother, where i can find guys who need it?

Will you try if 40Gbps QSFP+ BiDi transceiver can support with lower cost?how 10Gtek Migrate to a 40Gbps Data Center on 10Gbps Cabling Infrastructure?
    https://myfiberoptical.blogspot.com/2018/10/migrate-to-40gbps-data-center-on-10gbps.html

This article introduces how the 10Gtek® 40Gbps QSFP+ BiDi transceiver reduces overall costs and installation time for customers when migrating data center aggregation links to 40Gbps connections.

In today's data center networks, most fiber cabling is built for 10Gbps connectivity. The problem we all face is how to migrate from 10Gbps to 40Gbps at low cost when the data center needs to upgrade. The 10Gbps cabling uses a two-core LC patch cord, while the 40Gbps cabling uses an 8-core MPO patch cord. So to support 40Gbps connectivity, data center architects are challenged by the need for a major upgrade of the cabling infrastructure, which can be too expensive or disruptive to allow data centers to quickly adopt and migrate to the 40Gbps technology.

10Gtek solves this problem with innovative 40Gbps Quad Small Form-Factor Pluggable (QSFP) bidirectional (BiDi) technology that allows reuse of existing 10-Gbps fiber infrastructure for 40Gbps connections. It greatly saves investment in fiber cabling and avoids waste of fiber resources.

1. Troubles Confronting with Existing 40Gbps Transceivers

Standard short reach (SR) 40Gbps transceiver is QSFP+ SR4. The SR4 transceiver is available in a QSFP form factor with separate transmitter and receiver. Each transceiver has four parallel fiber optic transmitters, plus four parallel fiber optic receivers, requiring eight fibers for signal transmission. The QSFP SR4 operates over an MPO 8-core fiber.

The figure below shows how the 40G QSFP+ transceiver works.

The connection between two 40G QSFP+ transceivers requires an MPO to MPO 8-core fiber patch cord. A problem arises when the data center network cabling is built for 10Gbps transmission. The 40G QSFP+ transceiver cannot directly use LC to LC fiber to transmit 40Gbps, and requires 8-core fiber patch cord, while the LC to LC patch cord is 2 cores. Due to this characteristics of the 40G QSFP+ transceiver, customers need to invest 4 times the cost of fiber to migrate their existing data center from 10Gbps to 40Gbps.

2. 10Gtek 40G QSFP+ BiDi Transceiver Solution

The 10Gtek QSFP+ Bidi transceiver can speed up the transmission rate from 10Gbps to 40Gbps through the dual-core multimode fiber connected to the LC interface. 10Gtek BiDi transceiver can achieve a transmission rate from 10Gbps to 40Gbps through a dual-core multimode fiber connected to the LC interface. In other words, the QSFP+ Bidi transceiver can realize 40Gbps transmission based on the existing 10Gbps optical fiber cabling without any extra investment in fiber. The following picture shows the 10Gtek 40Gb/s QSFP+ Bidi transceiver.

The 10Gtek QSFP BiDi transceiver has two 20-Gbps channels, each transmitted and received simultaneously over two wavelengths (850nm/890nm) on a single MMF strand. The result is an aggregated duplex 40-Gbps link over a MMF duplex LC-terminated fiber cable. The connection can reach 100 meters on OM3 MMF or 150 meters on OM4 MMF, which is the same as 40-Gbps SR4. It complies with the MSA standard.

The following figure shows how the 10Gtek 40G QSFP+ Bidi transceiver works.

Conclusion

The 10Gtek 40G QSFP+ Bidi technology solves the problem of fiber-optic cabling update from 10Gbps to 40Gbps in data center networks. Compared with other 40G QSFP+ transceivers, the 10Gtek 40G QSFP+ Bidi transceiver can save 4 times of fiber investment while meeting 40Gbps transmission rate, and can save a lot of labor costs. The 10Gtek QSFP+ Bidi transceiver can realize 40Gbps transmission on the existing 10Gbps cabling, and the transmission rate can be upgraded by a low investment. Clearly, the 10Gtek 40G QSFP+ Bidi transceiver is the most cost-effective solution for migrating your existing 10Gbps transmission to 40Gbps.

This article introduces how the 10GtekLumin X1 Fiber Optic Network Discussions 40Gbps QSFP+ BiDi transceiver reduces overall costs and installation time for customers when migrating data center aggregation links to 40Gbps connections.

In today's data center networks, most fiber cabling is built for 10Gbps connectivity. The problem we all face is how to migrate from 10Gbps to 40Gbps at low cost when the data center needs to upgrade. The 10Gbps cabling uses a two-core LC patch cord, while the 40Gbps cabling uses an 8-core MPO patch cord. So to support 40Gbps connectivity, data center architects are challenged by the need for a major upgrade of the cabling infrastructure, which can be too expensive or disruptive to allow data centers to quickly adopt and migrate to the 40Gbps technology.

10Gtek solves this problem with innovative 40Gbps Quad Small Form-Factor Pluggable (QSFP) bidirectional (BiDi) technology that allows reuse of existing 10-Gbps fiber infrastructure for 40Gbps connections. It greatly saves investment in fiber cabling and avoids waste of fiber resources.

1. Troubles Confronting with Existing 40Gbps Transceivers

Standard short reach (SR) 40Gbps transceiver is QSFP+ SR4. The SR4 transceiver is available in a QSFP form factor with separate transmitter and receiver. Each transceiver has four parallel fiber optic transmitters, plus four parallel fiber optic receivers, requiring eight fibers for signal transmission. The QSFP SR4 operates over an MPO 8-core fiber.

The figure below shows how the 40G QSFP+ transceiver works.

The connection between two 40G QSFP+ transceivers requires an MPO to MPO 8-core fiber patch cord. A problem arises when the data center network cabling is built for 10Gbps transmission. The 40G QSFP+ transceiver cannot directly use LC to LC fiber to transmit 40Gbps, and requires 8-core fiber patch cord, while the LC to LC patch cord is 2 cores. Due to this characteristics of the 40G QSFP+ transceiver, customers need to invest 4 times the cost of fiber to migrate their existing data center from 10Gbps to 40Gbps.

2. 10Gtek 40G QSFP+ BiDi Transceiver Solution

The 10Gtek QSFP+ Bidi transceiver can speed up the transmission rate from 10Gbps to 40Gbps through the dual-core multimode fiber connected to the LC interface. 10Gtek BiDi transceiver can achieve a transmission rate from 10Gbps to 40Gbps through a dual-core multimode fiber connected to the LC interface. In other words, the QSFP+ Bidi transceiver can realize 40Gbps transmission based on the existing 10Gbps optical fiber cabling without any extra investment in fiber. The following picture shows the 10Gtek 40Gb/s QSFP+ Bidi transceiver.

The 10Gtek QSFP BiDi transceiver has two 20-Gbps channels, each transmitted and received simultaneously over two wavelengths (850nm/890nm) on a single MMF strand. The result is an aggregated duplex 40-Gbps link over a MMF duplex LC-terminated fiber cable. The connection can reach 100 meters on OM3 MMF or 150 meters on OM4 MMF, which is the same as 40-Gbps SR4. It complies with the MSA standard.

The following figure shows how the 10Gtek 40G QSFP+ Bidi transceiver works.

Conclusion

The 10Gtek 40G QSFP+ Bidi technology solves the problem of fiber-optic cabling update from 10Gbps to 40Gbps in data center networks. Compared with other 40G QSFP+ transceivers, the 10Gtek 40G QSFP+ Bidi transceiver can save 4 times of fiber investment while meeting 40Gbps transmission rate, and can save a lot of labor costs. The 10Gtek QSFP+ Bidi transceiver can realize 40Gbps transmission on the existing 10Gbps cabling, and the transmission rate can be upgraded by a low investment. Clearly, the 10Gtek 40G QSFP+ Bidi transceiver is the most cost-effective solution for migrating your existing 10Gbps transmission to 40Gbps.
    New SOTM switch. I'm very happy with my Clones Cisco SG-112/24 switch, but this switch is very interesting as well. https://www.sotm-audio.com/sotmwp/en...-item/snh-10g/

Home: Focal Scala Utopia, Primaluna HP Premium, Lumin X1

Cottage: Cabase Altura Bahia, Pathos TT Aniversary, Lumin D1

New SOTM switch. I'm very happy with my Clones Cisco SG-112/24 switch, but this switch is very interesting as well. https://www.sotm-audio.com/sotmwp/en...-item/snh-10g/
    If one believes in the benefit of audiophile clock in a network switch, beware that the clock module costs extra.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Whew! This is a lot to wade through so I thought I'd ask Peter Lie, Mike Boviard or anyone else who would like to help to distill this down if possible into what are the current thoughts regarding best practices for networking the X1.

I have an X1 inbound from the distributor in California to replace my S1. The S1 is currently connnected to the QNAP 879 music server via copper through an unmanaged Netgear 16 port POE switch mounted within a meter or so of where the X1 will reside. I would like to divorce myself of the copper connection to the QNAP in as efficient a manner as possible with and improvement in audio quality a prime metric.

I have the option of installing another network card in the QNAP NAS that has one or two SFP+ ports and possibly going directly to the X1 via the appropriate SFP+ modules and fiber. That seems to be the most direct but I am not sure how exactly the QNAP's new SFP+ ports would get their I.P. addresses from the ASUS RT-AC5300 router that I am currently using but it might be as simple as installing the card in the QNAP and doing a little bit of configuration in QTS.

The other option is to take one of the Ethernet ports that I am currently using, convert it to fiber via either a 4-port fiber switch or a media converter or something of that nature, and heading off to the X1 via the appropriate optical cabling.

I also realize there are very high end switches out there with OCXO or Femto oscillators and I may consider that in the future but not right now.

What is the current thinking about how to accomplish what I want to do?

Your thoughts are much appreciated!

Joe

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Lumin X1 Fiber Optic Network Discussions