Lumin X1 Fiber Optic Network Discussions - Page 2
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lumin X1 Fiber Optic Network Discussions

Welcome to the forum, thank you for joining.
    Joe

Audio Research Ref 10 preamp, D'Agostino Momentum M400 monos, McIntosh MCLK12, Luxman C900u, Job INTegrated, Accuphase A-36, Cary 300B SE, JBL 4367, Revel Ultima Studio 2, JBL 4312D, Klipsch RP-160M, Klipsch RB-75, KEF LS50, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES, ASL Wave monos, Kimber RCA and XLR cable, VPI Classic 3, VPI SDS, Lyra Kleos, Burmester 948, Metric Halo LIO-8, Linear Tube Audio MZ2 - MicroZOTL2.0 Preamplifier, Bricasti M1SE dac.

2. Thanks vinci92 thanked for this post
    Likes vinci92 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vinci92 View Post
    As you can see in the picture, I already use an optical bridge: Two TP-Link MC200CM (Multi mode, not single mode MC210CS) with an optic duplex, allowing me to connect an isolated secondary router for my streamer from my HIFI dedicated electrical circuit and this without pollution = Optical conversion and back to Ethernet conversion.

In my case, this new Lumin X1 optical port would allow me to eliminate my secondary network (and one TP-Link converter) for a purer sound.

My only technical question: Do I really need a TL-SM311LM since my duplex cable is only one meter long?

If I understand your network topology correctly, and if you buy an X1 in the future, yes you'd need the TL-SM311LM SFP (note: not tested yet) to be plugged into the X1 SFP port

This way one of your MC200CM units can be eliminated. The other MC200CM to be used with X1 SFP needs to be changed from Force mode to Auto mode for connection to SFP. Your existing fiber cannot be used due to connector mismatch (and probably insufficient length). You would need a multi mode LC-SC duplex 50/125um fiber.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

4. Thanks vinci92 thanked for this post
    Likes vinci92 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you very much for the valuable information. If I buy the X1, I'm going to proceed to a long-term comparison between my current configuration and the TL-SM311LM SFP with the LC-SC duplex 50 / 125um. I will post all my impressions on this in this thread.
    Primary System:

• Source: Lumin D1
    • Intergrated: Primaluna Dialogue Premium HP
    • Speakers: Focal Scala Utopia
    • Headphones: Sennheiser 800 HD S
    • Cables: Furutech Power Flux, Furutech Flux-50 NFC passive filter, Furutech Lineflux interconnect, Wireworld Supernova 7 optic toslink, Lavricable Master Silver headphone cable, Bis Audio powerbar, Optical Bridge TP-Link MC200CM with duplex optic cable, 6 iFi Purifiers, 4 Wireworld Starlight Cat8 Ethernet Cables, Entreq Tellus II Ground Box
    • Other: Multiples absortion panels, IsoAccoustic OREA Pucks, IsoAcoustics GAIA

Cottage System:

• Source: MacBook Pro + Chord 2Qute DAC + ROON
    • Intergrated: Pathos TT Aniversary
    • Speakers: Cabasse Altura Bahia
    • Headphones: Astell&Kern AK T8iE MK II
    • Source: Chord Mojo
    • Cables: Bis Audio Maestro Interconnect, AudioQuest Type 4 speaker cables, IsoTek EVO3 Titan Power block and Power bars, 3 iFi Purifiers, AudioQuest Diamond USB Cables.
    • Other: IsoAccoustic OREA Pucks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wklie View Post
    Is Lumin the first to support fiber optic network in a network streamer? I think practically it is, excluding DIY products. If I'm not mistaken, MSB and Bel Canto use fiber for proprietary signal connections but not standard fiber optic network. (If I'm wrong please feel free to correct me.)

Note: Fiber optic network is totally different from TOSLINK - these are different things. Audiophiles typically do not use toslink because it usually results in jitter unless your DAC does a good job to reclock it.
    Sorry Peter, I hate to say this but Lumin may not be the first to do this. I bought a streamer from Mivera called Superstream 2 yrs back which had ST fiber port. Its not a DIY product but he stopped producing anymore units.

Having said this, I am curious to know if the Transceivers are native to the MAC or does it go through an internal FMC ?

Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info. The SFP socket is directly connected to our network hardware, so the answer is native.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,
    sorry my stupid question but i'm very "new" with streamer&music server....
    Peter can you plaese say me as is to be connected the Mini 1x 10/100/1000Base to the router? i need 2 pcs.? what gove me this "operation" really in my system?
    thank you very much for your understanding..
    b rgds

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure the question is not stupid, but I'm not sure I understand your question. Anyway, to upgrade from S1 to X1 it's a drop-in replacement with no other required changes, including your existing Ethernet setup.

Only if you want to try the optical network, and your WiFi router has 1000Mbps gigabit Ethernet port, then you can try the configuration in post #3. With the X1, you only need one FMC and one SFP, not two. The router is connected to the FMC via an Ethernet cable, and the FMC is connected to the SFP plugged into X1 via a duplex fiber.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wklie View Post

Only if you want to try the optical network, and your WiFi router has 1000Mbps gigabit Ethernet port, then you can try the configuration in post #3. With the X1, you only need one FMC and one SFP, not two. The router is connected to the FMC via an Ethernet cable, and the FMC is connected to the SFP plugged into X1 via a duplex fiber.
    Or better yet, get a switch with a SFP slot

https://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-Swit...+with+sfp+port

Post Thanks / Like

I try to be sure about the configuration... Is it possible to know were the TL-SM311LS sould be connected (into the MC210CS ok into the X1)? Thank you!
    Primary System:

• Source: Lumin D1
    • Intergrated: Primaluna Dialogue Premium HP
    • Speakers: Focal Scala Utopia
    • Headphones: Sennheiser 800 HD S
    • Cables: Furutech Power Flux, Furutech Flux-50 NFC passive filter, Furutech Lineflux interconnect, Wireworld Supernova 7 optic toslink, Lavricable Master Silver headphone cable, Bis Audio powerbar, Optical Bridge TP-Link MC200CM with duplex optic cable, 6 iFi Purifiers, 4 Wireworld Starlight Cat8 Ethernet Cables, Entreq Tellus II Ground Box
    • Other: Multiples absortion panels, IsoAccoustic OREA Pucks, IsoAcoustics GAIA

Cottage System:

• Source: MacBook Pro + Chord 2Qute DAC + ROON
    • Intergrated: Pathos TT Aniversary
    • Speakers: Cabasse Altura Bahia
    • Headphones: Astell&Kern AK T8iE MK II
    • Source: Chord Mojo
    • Cables: Bis Audio Maestro Interconnect, AudioQuest Type 4 speaker cables, IsoTek EVO3 Titan Power block and Power bars, 3 iFi Purifiers, AudioQuest Diamond USB Cables.
    • Other: IsoAccoustic OREA Pucks

Post Thanks / Like

The TL-SM311LS is an SFP module and looks like this:

The SFP is to be plugged into the Lumin X1. See the top-left part of the below image. The silver socket with some circular holes is the SFP socket. You see the SFP module (TL-SM311LS) inside the socket, and a silver part of the SFP module that extends outside the socket with an extraction lever. The SFP connects to a duplex fiber with a LC connector (blue). The other end of the fiber (not shown) is connected to a MC210CS.

Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast