Mid Range
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Thread: Mid Range

Post Thanks / Like

Mid Range

I just got a Rockford Fosgate P3 and a 12 inch Kicker. I have them hooked up to a 1000w 2ch amp. They have NO mid or high range. I want to get some mid ranges and tweeters, but I donít know what wattage to look for. Does anybody know what wattage I should get?

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mid Range

Welcome to the forum. Thank you for joining.
    Joe

JBL 4312SE 70th Anniversary,
    Pass XA25, McIntosh MCLK12, Job INTegrated, Cary 300B SE, JBL 4367, Revel Studio 2, JBL 4312D, Klipsch RP-160M, Klipsch RB-75, KEF LS50, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES, ASL Wave monos, Kimber Kables, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables, Burmester 948, Metric Halo LIO-8, Linear Tube Audio MZ2, Bricasti M1SE, Naim Supernait 2.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd go for at least 1000 watts so they can match your amp
    My System:
    A trusty old Pioneer PD-65 as a Transport, A MicroRendui, a Merrill Heirloom T.T. as sources. A Lampizator DAC to PAD Cables to a SP-14 Tubed PreAmp, Coincident Frankenstein 300B monoblocks, & or Valvet E-2, Fusion speaker cables, AudioKinesis Zephryn 46 Speakers. pair Rythmik F-12 subs, EP2050, DCCA Furutech and Kaplan Power cables, APC power conditioner, Two dedicated 20Amp power lines. DIY corner traps and Acoustic Geometry Curves for room treatment.

Post Thanks / Like

Rayven, it sounds like you're looking to build a car audio system. Most of this board is dedicated to home audio, so I'm not sure how much real help you'll find here - the two scenes do cross over, but not that often. Are you looking just for amplifiers for speakers you already have, or are you looking to buy both speakers and the matching amps? What is your ultimate goal with the system? Overall sound quality? High-end competition sound? Something loud to impress the crew? Bass to wake the dead, and enough mids so it still sounds like there's music? Also, what kind of vehicle (i.e. a smaller car or a big SUV)? Oh, and of course budget is always a consideration. We don't want to suggest something that costs your entire budget for a single speaker.

Focal Audio makes nice products for both home and auto, and they have the advantage of producing their own drivers. They're known for being very accurate in sound reproduction, and work well in sound quality competition auto rigs, but might not be the last word in bold and loud. They also tend to be on the more expensive end.
    Jeff

My System
    Streamer/Server: Aurender N100H; Disc Player: Oppo UDP-205; DAC: PS Audio Directstream Jr; Preamp: Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE Stage 2; Power Amp: ATI AT542NC; Speakers: Focal Sopra No. 3; Cables: Cullen Cable, Wireworld, Kimber; Power: Ansuz Mainz8 X-TC, PS Audio Dectet, Furutech outlets

Post Thanks / Like

what brand is your amp? You typically won't blow a speaker as long as they receive clean power, within reason. I doubt you find any midrange that will handle 1,000 watts. Generally, it will take more power to recreate the bass frequencies to the sub than those going to the mids/highs.

You'll definitely need a crossover, if one isn't built in. This will allow you to keep frequencies below a certain point from reaching the mids/highs. Often times a crossover is built into the head unit but then you'd need another amp for the mids/highs, which is probably a good idea if in your budget, for the reasons above, too much power for mids. Pulling the low frequencies out will also allow them to handle more power.

I recently went to help my friend pick out some car speakers at a big box store, JBL was one of the best sounding in the board. I had an Alpine system at one point and really liked their speakers, efficient too.
    Mark Levinson #512 & 532h, Pass Labs XP10, Hegel HD30, JBL 4367's
    Coda CSX. Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro, AcousTech PH-1P
    All Clarus Crimson cabling, AC to binding post. Surgex
    HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP