Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
    Audioshark
    Post Thanks / Like

Luxman 509x Review

https://www.stereophile.com/content/...OGv26xRBzZX.01

I sure love mine! Amazing with Harbeth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Audio Research, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Avantgarde Acoustics, Avid HiFi, Ayre Acoustics, Berkeley Audio Design, Bryston, Chord, ClearAudio Turntables & Accessories, Constellation Audio, Esoteric, FirstWatt, Focal Headphones, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Furutech, Gryphon Audio, Hegel, iFi Audio, ISO Acoustics, JL Audio, KEF Loudspeakers, Kimber Kable, KL Audio Record Cleaning Machines, KR Audio Tube & Amps, Kronos, Lampizator, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MicroMega, MIT Cables, MSB Technologies, Naim Audio, Ortofon, Pass Labs, PS Audio, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables, Roon Labs, Shunyata Research, Siltech, Solid Tech Racks, Sony, SRA, Stein Music, Stillpoints, T+A Electronics, Tannoy Loudspeakers, Transfiguration Cartridges, Trenner & Friedl, Triode Corporation of Japan, VAC, Verity Audio Speakers, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

2. Likes 'cisco liked this post
    Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Luxman 509x Review

Excellent review! Looks like a great integrated.
    Joe

Avantgarde Duo XD, JBL L100 (orange), Luxman MQ-300, JBL 4312SE 70th Anniversary,
    Pass XA25, McIntosh MCLK12, Job INTegrated, Cary 300B SE, JBL 4367, Revel Studio 2, JBL 4312D, Klipsch RP-160M, Klipsch RB-75, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES, ASL Wave monos, Kimber Kables, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables, Burmester 948, Linear Tube Audio MZ2, Bricasti M1SE, Naim Supernait 2, Lumin U1 mini.

Post Thanks / Like

My 590aX was pretty awesome. I expected to have it for much longer but there was a real benefit to having more power during my foray with Magnepans. Now that I have moved to high efficiency speakers I miss it. I think this would be even better. Amazing and wonderfully complete products (packaging, features, build, remote, etc.).

Living Room System: Mac Mini > PS Audio PWD MKII/ Marantz TT-15 Turntable w/ Ortofon Cadenza Bronze> Coda CSiB > Klipsch Forte III/JL Audio E110(x2)

5. Likes Mike, joeinid liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. Just to clarify, Mike, for your Harbeth or Tannoy like speakers, the m900u is still a better choice than the 509, or does it not matter?

Post Thanks / Like

Still not sure whether 509x or 590ax mkII. Having listened to 509x driving Triangle Magellan Quators left me with mixed feelings. On vinyl (Luxman PD-171A + E.A.T. Jo N°5 MC cartridge & EQ-500) sounded superb spinning a direct-to-disc sampler. One of the best I've heard, and I've heard some $$$ setups over the years.
    Switching to D-08u as a source, the sound was a bit aggressive and shrill with recessed soundstage, that was nowhere near what I remember hearing almost a year ago with 590ax mkII on my Marten Django L's, but Triangle and Marten are nowhere near in their philosophy so my comparison is way off.
    Don't get me wrong, it was a beautiful presentation but I was expecting the smooth liquid Luxman sound...
    I have to pay more visits to my dealer as phase matching and proper integration of D-08u in a system is paramount, I just plugged-in the D-08u without paying attention to any detail....
    Last edited by hellrider77; May 7, 2018 at 08:33 AM. Reason: several typos

Post Thanks / Like

hellrider77-you will get the desired sound with the L-590AX MKII. It outperforms the 509X by a noticeable margin.

Post Thanks / Like

GreginNH - you might be right, but I must hear them side by side on my Martens. It wont't be long until I do.

Post Thanks / Like

Luxman 509x Review

Though it sounds like the 590aX Mk II improved upon the previous iteration in this regard, I would still expect the 509x to trounce the 590 in its transparency. Obviously the sounds of each are well differentiated and there will be compromises either way. I believe the best choice will be very system dependent. The 590 should be well suited for the Martens. Should be a fun demo!

Edited.

Living Room System: Mac Mini > PS Audio PWD MKII/ Marantz TT-15 Turntable w/ Ortofon Cadenza Bronze> Coda CSiB > Klipsch Forte III/JL Audio E110(x2)

11. Thanks hellrider77 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Would absolutely love to hear this amp. Just read a review which compared it to the 590aX-II. Basically described what I guessed it would...the Class A amp is warmer, richer, but with less detail and transparency. I think what is said above is correct, really different flavors and system dependent.

The 509, however, sounds like it would be a fabulous partner for my Elipsa SE's.
    Kevin

Home
    : VPI Aries 3/Lyra Skala/RSA XR10B, PS Audio DS DAC (networked using Roon) > PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium preamp and HP mono amps > Sonus Faber Elipsa SE's. PS Audio P5 and P10. Transparent Audio, Cardas and Audioquest cables.
    Work: Windows Laptop (Roon) > W4S 2v2SE LE > PrimaLuna Dialogue HP integrated > Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento's and Sennheiser HD800S headphones. Shunyata Hydra. Cardas cables.