Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

DAC/streamer combo with Tidal support

I want to consolidate my current DAC and streamer into a single box. This will only be used to play Tidal in a headphone system. Any ideas besides the Lumin D2 and PS Audio DirectStream Junior? Looking to keep it in that price range. If you've heard the D2 vs the DirectStream Jr I would be interested in hearing your opinions.

Audioshark

Re: DAC/streamer combo with Tidal support

In that price range, Lumin D2 all day long.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    In that price range, Lumin D2 all day long.
    Any particular reason why you like it better than the DSJ? Without hearing either, I'm guessing the DSJ DAC is better but Lumin has better software?

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by vortrex View Post
    Any particular reason why you like it better than the DSJ? Without hearing either, I'm guessing the DSJ DAC is better but Lumin has better software?
    Sonic preference for me. Lumin’s also have very good resale value FWIW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

If just for headphone listening have you considered Astell & Kern? They are able to hook up to your home network and has built in storage. It's more portable so you don't have to be tied down to one area all the time. They use a very good DAC chip. I heard the $1k & $3500 unit, on headphones I'm not familiar with, the sound reminded me a lot of the Direct Stream, neutral and detailed. I didn't have a long audition.

Just an option.
    Aurender ACS10 w/Audioquest Diamond USB, Esoteric N05xd
    Mark Levinson #526, 534 & JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart
    Clarus Concerto & their Crimson cables

HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent, Analysis Plus & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP
    Parasound P6, MBL 8006b, Artisan speakers/subwoofer

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    If just for headphone listening have you considered Astell & Kern? They are able to hook up to your home network and has built in storage. It's more portable so you don't have to be tied down to one area all the time. They use a very good DAC chip. I heard the $1k & $3500 unit, on headphones I'm not familiar with, the sound reminded me a lot of the Direct Stream, neutral and detailed. I didn't have a long audition.

Just an option.
    No I haven't. I already have a flagship headphone amp that I want to keep and prefer something not portable since I sit in one spot to listen with full size headphones.

I have the U1 and the DSD w/ Bridge II. As far as comparing the streaming part of things, to me, the Lumin is solidly above the DSD. U1 to the DSD over USB sounds far better to me than streaming direct to the Bridge II.

As far as the DAC part, well... the U1 has no DAC so I can't say! But I'm very happy with the DSD DAC in general.

The build quality of both is fantastic altho I give the Lumin the edge there.

Software-wise, an important part of the streaming experience, the Lumin app is far far far superior to the main app choices for DS like mControl.
    Main System

Lumin X1 > Boulder 1161 > Scansonic MB3.5 B

Headphones

Home: HiFiMan Susvara > Schiit Lyr+
    Portable: Focal Radiance > AQ Dragonfly Cobalt / Chord Hugo 2

Quote Originally Posted by jmusica View Post
    I have the U1 and the DSD w/ Bridge II. As far as comparing the streaming part of things, to me, the Lumin is solidly above the DSD. U1 to the DSD over USB sounds far better to me than streaming direct to the Bridge II.

As far as the DAC part, well... the U1 has no DAC so I can't say! But I'm very happy with the DSD DAC in general.

The build quality of both is fantastic altho I give the Lumin the edge there.

Software-wise, an important part of the streaming experience, the Lumin app is far far far superior to the main app choices for DS like mControl.
    Technically you can still use the Lumin app with the DSJ, if you run some other UPnP app on a computer on the network. I'm trying to keep a computer out of the mix though, otherwise I would use Roon. I wish there was some talk online about the D2. The only review I can find is in Dutch and there is no user talk about it at all it seems. I do like the size of the Lumin D2 better, but that's not enough to go on alone.

Quote Originally Posted by vortrex View Post
    The only review I can find is in Dutch and there is no user talk about it at all it seems. I do like the size of the Lumin D2 better, but that's not enough to go on alone.
    Several Lumin D2 reviews, not in English though:
    http://www.highfidelity.pl/@main-3171
    https://www.hifi.nl/artikel/26454/Re...nde-klank.html
    https://www.alpha-audio.nl/2018/04/r...in-d2-streamer
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Thanks, already ended up buying one from Mike. It'll be here on Friday. Figured it was best to hear for myself.

Are the digital out for the various lumin differ greatly in sound quality?

Quote Originally Posted by justubes View Post
    Are the digital out for the various lumin differ greatly in sound quality?
    Aside from Lumin U1, the design of the digital outputs for the other Lumin models are rather similar, but there are still differences in power supply.

A number of users bought Lumin D1 (now replaced by D2) to connect to their external DAC via SPDIF to enjoy the convenience of iPad control and streaming. To use USB connection, Lumin U1 is required.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Is the U1's digital outputs i.e spdif and aes very similar to the D1'S A1 etc. when used as a streamer to a external dac?

How about the new X1's digital outputs, will it be an improvement in design over the new range.

Also regarding Android control of Tidal, a search cannot be performed unless i use an ipad?

Is there an android app that can allow stream youtube music to the Lumin, like the Apple's Airplay?

Thanks

Specification wise the U1 SPDIF output is the same as those from other models. However, power supply and design differences can result in a difference in SQ.

X1 can output BNC-SPDIF and USB. Yes, it is an improvement due to improved power supply and hardware.

It's a known issue of the current Android app. We have newer betas that may fix it.

I know there are AirPlay sender and receiver apps on Android, but we never tried them and don't know how well they work with Lumin. Please buy/use an iPad.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Vortex, for your headphone use case:

- the Brinkmann Nyquist is a top shelve DAC
    - streamer with USB and Ethernet input
    - supports Tidal and other services
    - all formats from low to hi-res PCM, native DSD and MQA

...and is a superb tubed headphone amp with volume control and IR remote.

My wild guess is this is the best performing product in the market for your use case, if you are willing to fork out the moolah.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

DAC/streamer combo with Tidal support