DAC/streamer combo with Tidal support - Page 2
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: DAC/streamer combo with Tidal support

Are the digital out for the various lumin differ greatly in sound quality?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by justubes View Post
    Are the digital out for the various lumin differ greatly in sound quality?
    Aside from Lumin U1, the design of the digital outputs for the other Lumin models are rather similar, but there are still differences in power supply.

A number of users bought Lumin D1 (now replaced by D2) to connect to their external DAC via SPDIF to enjoy the convenience of iPad control and streaming. To use USB connection, Lumin U1 is required.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Post Thanks / Like

Is the U1's digital outputs i.e spdif and aes very similar to the D1'S A1 etc. when used as a streamer to a external dac?

How about the new X1's digital outputs, will it be an improvement in design over the new range.

Also regarding Android control of Tidal, a search cannot be performed unless i use an ipad?

Is there an android app that can allow stream youtube music to the Lumin, like the Apple's Airplay?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Specification wise the U1 SPDIF output is the same as those from other models. However, power supply and design differences can result in a difference in SQ.

X1 can output BNC-SPDIF and USB. Yes, it is an improvement due to improved power supply and hardware.

It's a known issue of the current Android app. We have newer betas that may fix it.

I know there are AirPlay sender and receiver apps on Android, but we never tried them and don't know how well they work with Lumin. Please buy/use an iPad.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Post Thanks / Like

Vortex, for your headphone use case:

- the Brinkmann Nyquist is a top shelve DAC
    - streamer with USB and Ethernet input
    - supports Tidal and other services
    - all formats from low to hi-res PCM, native DSD and MQA

...and is a superb tubed headphone amp with volume control and IR remote.

My wild guess is this is the best performing product in the market for your use case, if you are willing to fork out the moolah.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: AMG V12 with Benz Micro Gullwing SLR MC/ Stillpoints LPI/ Grandinote Celio/ Aurender N100H with Curious USB/ Synology NAS with Roon with AQ Vodka RJ45/ Brinkmann Nyquist/ Ayre KX-5 Twenty/ Pass Labs X250.8/ WyWires Platinum IC + speaker + power cables/ Magico S3 mk2/ REL S5 SHO/ REL Blue/ Shunyata Triton+AlphaHC+Alpha Analogue+Alpha Digital/ Finite Elemente Pagode/ Stillpoints Ultra SS.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Ayre Codex/ Auralic Aries Mini/ Sbooster PSU/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 3PSR2/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Audirvana/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ HD Plex linear PSU/ Charleston Cable Company Cardas Custom/ Sennheiser HD800/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ AudioTekne Blue.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2