4K all the way
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 4K all the way

Post Thanks / Like

4K all the way

It is apparent to me that I have some self-control issues. Take my interest in 4K television as an example. I started out thinking it was time to upgrade the living room TV from a 52" 1080P set. After some procrastination, which I'm fairly good at, I decided to purchase a new 65" Sony 4K television and an Oppo UDP-203 4K Ultra Blu-ray player. That's a nice upgrade for the living room. When I got to the store to buy the 65" television I could not resist the urge to upgrade the 42" bedroom TV while I was at it, so I also bought a 49" Sony 4K set for the bedroom. Okay, now all is well. I got everything installed and was thoroughly impressed with the 4K televisions. A couple weeks went by and I kept thinking about the 52" Sony 1080P television in the studio, so like a house of cards in a stiff breeze I crumbled and purchased a 55" Sony 4K set for the studio and ordered another Oppo UDP-203 to go with it. Things are looking good, but something was still nagging at me. Things were not quite 100% complete, that is until today when my third Oppo UDP-203 arrived for the bedroom. Finally, the cherry on top. I am now enjoying 4K TV and Ultra Blu-ray discs in the living room, the bedroom, and the studio.

Phew, I think I'm good, at least for a little while. .
    Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Ultra Mini, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC452, MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205 Signal Sleuth, Sonos Connect, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40 w/m505A tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Stillpoints Ultra Mini, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh 4300V, McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

2. Likes Mike, rrwmd liked this post
    Audioshark
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 4K all the way

Dan, Iím still jonesing for the A1E 77 inch baby from Sony.

I still remember my 32 inch CRT and thought it was huge. I now have a 40 inch in the bedroom and think itís small. Ha!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Audio Research, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Avantgarde Acoustics, Avid HiFi, Ayre Acoustics, Berkeley Audio Design, Bryston, Chord, ClearAudio Turntables & Accessories, Constellation Audio, Esoteric, FirstWatt, Focal Headphones, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Furutech, Gryphon Audio, iFi Audio, ISO Acoustics, JL Audio, KEF Loudspeakers, Kimber Kable, KL Audio Record Cleaning Machines, KR Audio Tube & Amps, Kronos, Lampizator, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MicroMega, MIT Cables, MSB Technologies, Ortofon, Pass Labs, PS Audio, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables, Roon Labs, Shunyata Research, Siltech, Solid Tech Racks, Sony, SRA, Stein Music, Stillpoints, T+A Electronics, Tannoy Loudspeakers, Transfiguration Cartridges, Trenner & Friedl, Triode Corporation of Japan, VAC, Verity Audio Speakers, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Dan, I’m still jonesing for the A1E 77 inch baby from Sony.

I still remember my 32 inch CRT and thought it was huge. I now have a 40 inch in the bedroom and think it’s small. Ha!
    Mike.......I know what you mean. I originally had a 21" 4x3 CRT television in the bedroom, then went to the 36" 16x9 Sony HD CRT. That television weighted damn near 200 lbs. Then I went to a 42" 720P widescreen hung on the wall, and now a 49" in the same place. I would have gone bigger in the bedroom but sliding closet doors won't let that to happen. The Sony 49" is a nice step up from the 42", and the 4K resolution is eye popping good.
    Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Ultra Mini, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC452, MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205 Signal Sleuth, Sonos Connect, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40 w/m505A tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Stillpoints Ultra Mini, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh 4300V, McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

Post Thanks / Like

Normally, Marlene is the last to notice differences in television picture quality. She is more into the programming, so picture clarity and resolution aren't at the top of her priority list. Last night we watched the 4K movie of Passengers. Within the first couple of minutes she said to me that the picture looked so much sharper and brighter than DVD movies we watch. I was surprised she was impressed enough to comment on the picture quality because normally those things don't concern her viewing enjoyment. Now that she is aware of just what 4K can deliver on the screen I think she will be quicker to identify picture quality differences between the various video sources. I was pleased she noticed the improvement.

By the way, the movie Passengers was filmed and edited in 4K, not upconverted from 2K like many of the so-called 4K movies coming out. The color saturation, black levels, HDR, and picture clarity are exceptional.
    Dan

6. Likes Mike liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Some day I will upgrade my basic TV from a 1998 Panasonic 32Ē CRT to a new TV with an HDMI input. My original plan was to use the Oppo 103 I have stored in the garage with it, but reading this thread reminded me of how much I love the Oppo 203 with my 75Ē Sony Z9D TV in the HT. So, I just ordered another 203. Now I have both a spare, and am ready to go when I get a new TV.

Anybody want a free TV?
    Bud

Lumin S1
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR source, Denali 2000 (2) for amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Dan, I’m still jonesing for the A1E 77 inch baby from Sony.
    Get the A8F instead. Reportedly the panel is improved to slightly reduce the risk of burn-in. (We have an A1 in our office for testing of our other products.)

I've recently purchased Panasonic 65" EX750 - being the very last 3D TV model from a major brand. In fact I'm typing this using this TV as my computer monitor.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

9. Thanks Mike thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The A8F doesn’t come in 77”.

Quote Originally Posted by wklie View Post
    Get the A8F instead. Reportedly the panel is improved to slightly reduce the risk of burn-in. (We have an A1 in our office for testing of our other products.)

I've recently purchased Panasonic 65" EX750 - being the very last 3D TV model from a major brand. In fact I'm typing this using this TV as my computer monitor.
    Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento
    Crystal Cable Absolute Dream, Dreamline Plus
    Furutech GTX-D NCF (R), GTX Wall Plate, 104-D

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wklie View Post
    Get the A8F instead. Reportedly the panel is improved to slightly reduce the risk of burn-in.
    Peter.......I agree with you. I made the same suggestion to Mike in another thread. If I were going for an OLED, the Sony A8F would be the one. The largest A8F screen is 65" at this time but that may change as the year progresses.
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like

A8F

Wait for it , wait for it
    Chris

(2 Chl): Kef 201/2, Pass xa30.5, W4S STP-SE Lumin D1, VPI Classic 1, Manley Chinook, Dynavector DV20x2L.exaSound e32, Marantz SA11S2. ( computer) Win7, Synology DS413 NAS ,Vincent SP-331MKII , Quicksilver LS,Vapor Audio Breeze, Rythmik F12se. Cables: Acoustic Zen, DL Labs, Blue Jean.. ,Bryston BCD-1,Timbernation Rack,

Post Thanks / Like

I was looking at 4K TVs but most of them are HUGE. I was disappointed that oled only comes in 55" or bigger. My Current TV is a 42" 1080p Panasonic Plasma TV. I was hoping I for maybe a 40" to 45" oled. But alas it is not to be so.

Not sure what to do now. Maybe I should wait a few more years.
    Integrated amp: Symphonic Line La Music Turntable: SAC Girati Grande. Tonearm: Dynavector 507mkII Cartridge: Dynavector Te Kaitora Rua Streamer: Auralic Aries LE DAC: Schiit Gungnir Multibit Phono amp: RCM Sensor Prelude Power Distributor: Anzus Mains D8 Speakers: Raidho X-3 Speaker Cables: AudioQuest Rocket 88 Interlinks Ansuz X Digital Interlinks Anzus Digitals A USB Phono interlink: Cammino Serie 1.0 - PH 1.0s Power cables: Anzus Mains Ceramic, POM, Aluminium, and two X series Audio Rack: Solid Steel H6

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast