AudioQuest Niagra and Storm Power Cable Review - Page 2
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: AudioQuest Niagra and Storm Power Cable Review

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Glad you guys are enjoying these power cords. I’m not sure if you recall, but I have had a full set of Thunder, Hurricane and Dragon (source and power) in the store since December. They’re wonderful power cables - all of them.

The jump from thunder to Hurricane is subtle, but worth it. The jump from Hurricane to Dragon is substantial - but so is the cost!

I found putting Dragon on the source components (DAC or CD) made the greatest impact. But I heard improvements on the preamp, amp and Niagra 7000 as I went down the line.

Back in January, I held a blind power cord shootout. Customers brought WW platinum, Nordost Odin/Odin 2, Valhalla 2, Ansuz Diamond and three or four others, including a DIY cable. Rance (from the forum was there too). Hopefully he will chime in. Anyway, they wanted to compare Thunder and Hurricane to all these other power cables they had brought because Rick and I had been raving about them. I didn’t bring the Dragon.

It was unanimous. The AQ cables won. Hurricane specifically. Let’s just say, I sold an awful lot of Hurricane’s and Thunders that day.

Mike,

how does Thunder/Hurricane compare to Shunyata Alpha NR. does either brand work better with tube gear, and also are the AQ cords flexible enough for tighter spots (behind a rack)

2. Likes sam5 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I got to hear them at Mike's and was blown away. I heard the top three with Garth when they were in prototype and was blown away. I was in shock at how much better the Dragon's were. Its one of the rare times in high end, that I can honestly say it's not a subtle upgrade. I've heard the Enkleins and Elrods. The Enkleins are used by many of the uber high end systems and I know why. They really are special. That said, I will be doing a shootout soon (hopefully) with the top David and a Hurricane and Dragon if I can get them. It will be with a Rockport Lyra system and we will be using a rebuilt Revox reel to reel unit. I'll keep you posted.

4. Thanks johndoe21ro thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ctsooner View Post
    I got to hear them at Mike's and was blown away. I heard the top three with Garth when they were in prototype and was blown away. I was in shock at how much better the Dragon's were. Its one of the rare times in high end, that I can honestly say it's not a subtle upgrade. I've heard the Enkleins and Elrods. The Enkleins are used by many of the uber high end systems and I know why. They really are special. That said, I will be doing a shootout soon (hopefully) with the top David and a Hurricane and Dragon if I can get them. It will be with a Rockport Lyra system and we will be using a rebuilt Revox reel to reel unit. I'll keep you posted.
    Anxious to hear your comparison!
    Triangle Magellan Cello II < AudioQuest Everest < BAT VK-600SE < AudioQuest Hurricane High Current < AudioQuest NRG-10 < AudioQuest WEL Signature XLR < exaSound e22 DAC w Paul Hynes SR3-12 LPS < UpTone ISORegen w UltraCap LPS1.2 & USPCB A-B < AudioQuest Diamond USB < MacMini i5 w UpTone DC Conversion Kit, Samsung 860EVO 1TB SSD w Squeezelite & Logitech Media Server < Solid Tech Hybrid Platforms < Stillpoints Ultra SS < Omicron Harmonic Stabilizer & Gold SE < IsoTek Sigmas GII w Optimum EVO3 < Furutech FT-SWS < HiFi Tuning Supreme 3

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by johndoe21ro View Post
    Anxious to hear your comparison!
    I am too, lol. My buddy takes me to his clients when I feel up to it.

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone have any views on how the AQ Hurricane's compare to the Shunyata Sigma NR cables?
    Audio Research REF6 | Dan D'Agostino Momentum S250 | PS Audio Directstream DAC + Transport + P10 | Wilson Audio Alexia + Mezzo | Krix Atmospherix A20 | Bryston SP3 + 9BSST2 | Velodyne DD15 | JVC X7900 | Panasonic UB900 | Wireworld Gold SC + Platinum IC

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Glad you guys are enjoying these power cords. I’m not sure if you recall, but I have had a full set of Thunder, Hurricane and Dragon (source and power) in the store since December. They’re wonderful power cables - all of them.

The jump from thunder to Hurricane is subtle, but worth it. The jump from Hurricane to Dragon is substantial - but so is the cost!

I found putting Dragon on the source components (DAC or CD) made the greatest impact. But I heard improvements on the preamp, amp and Niagra 7000 as I went down the line.

Back in January, I held a blind power cord shootout. Customers brought WW platinum, Nordost Odin/Odin 2, Valhalla 2, Ansuz Diamond and three or four others, including a DIY cable. Rance (from the forum was there too). Hopefully he will chime in. Anyway, they wanted to compare Thunder and Hurricane to all these other power cables they had brought because Rick and I had been raving about them. I didn’t bring the Dragon.

It was unanimous. The AQ cables won. Hurricane specifically. Let’s just say, I sold an awful lot of Hurricane’s and Thunders that day.
    Hi Mike, During the cable shoot out, what kind of power distribution did you use, in my "experience" the Ansuz power cables start to play there strenghts when used with one of the mainz 8 power distribution blocks. (earthing 10mm)

Olaf

When reading again I see it was the Niagara 7000
    Aavik U-300, Magico V3, Aurender N10, Wadia 381i, Oppo BDP103D (audiopraise board), Ansuz Mainz 8 D2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Audiohippo View Post
    Anyone have any views on how the AQ Hurricane's compare to the Shunyata Sigma NR cables?
    I personally feel my Hurricanes are more neutral and have better tonality. I highly value that. I need body in my sound also, but I get that with the Hurricanes. I had the Shunyata Sigma's in, not the NR's. The Sigma's are an awesome cable, I just like the Hurricane better as it gives me a lower noise floor and is a bit more dynamic with better extension on both ends. The difference in sigma vs Hurricane isn't night and day, but subtle enough that I wanted the Hurricane.

10. Likes johndoe21ro, DrGjerdesmett, AJR liked this post

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2