What is it that makes some pre-amps stand out from others - Page 2
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What is it that makes some pre-amps stand out from others

Welcome to the forum Ryan, very honored to have you here. Thank you for joining.
    Joe

JBL L100 (orange), Luxman MQ-300, JBL 4312SE 70th Anniversary,
    Pass XA25, McIntosh MCLK12, Job INTegrated, Cary 300B SE, JBL 4367, Revel Studio 2, JBL 4312D, Klipsch RP-160M, Klipsch RB-75, KEF LS50, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES, ASL Wave monos, Kimber Kables, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables, Burmester 948, Linear Tube Audio MZ2, Bricasti M1SE, Naim Supernait 2.

Post Thanks / Like

Ryan, welcome aboard! Thank you for the awesome insight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sean

Oppo 203, Lumin D2, McIntosh MA252, AAD M5, Shunyata Research Venom PC/IC/SC, APC H15

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys, I appreciate the welcome!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Berry View Post
    As far as measurements...they really tell so little about a product in this industry. Products that measure worse often sound better than products with fantastic measurements. Two products with nearly identical measurements sound completely different from each other. The measurements are great in the sense it at least gives you something to look at since you can't listen to them all, but ultimately they don't do much in how well you'll enjoy the product or what coloration it may be adding to the sound. Charley used to say the most important measurements you can get for a unit is the weight and size. That way you'll know if it'll fit on your shelf and if it can support the weight of the product. I tend to agree.
    Best Regards,
    Ryan Berry
    Ayre Acoustics, Inc.
    You have it backwards. It's listen first (ears only) and then measure to see why the sound different. Measurement is about differences and not about preferences. If the measurements don't show the meaningful differences, why then you made the wrong measurements.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Speedskater View Post
    You have it backwards. It's listen first (ears only) and then measure to see why the sound different. Measurement is about differences and not about preferences. If the measurements don't show the meaningful differences, why then you made the wrong measurements.
    Great point, and I certainly don't disagree in the realm of R&D. Given enough time and resources, that's certainly an ideal approach to product design and understanding why this product sounds one way while another sounds different. Most people don't have such resources and many designers struggle to have enough time to hear everything, unfortunately.

My comment was more in regards to listeners choosing which products to listen to with their limited time, not design itself. With audio design, we generally have an idea by this point what may sound better than what and we start there. Then it's days of listening with only enough measurements to make sure we're not designing toward something unusable later...just because something sounds great, people wouldn't be too interested in it if it had bandwidth limitations, for example. Once it sounds just so, then the battery of tests begin to make sure it measures passably while maintaining the quality of sound we wanted. Then do it again, only better!

Even so, finding the right measurements to show why one amp has more clarity than another, or why one amp has a better soundstage than another often tends to be prohibitively time consuming to figure out how to measure for such things, if they can be at all. The ears usually tell more than an oscilloscope in that regard and I doubt we'll ever have a time that we can make a fully accurate prediction of how an amplifier may sound based solely on how it measures.

6. Likes Mechnutt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I think a lot of sonic differences, especially with cables, are occurring at the atomic level, and we canít measure at that level. Yet.
    Bud

Lumin S1
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR source, Denali 2000 (2) for amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.

8. Likes Ryan Berry, Mechnutt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The more I play around with different gear, cables, etc., the more I tend to agree. I do not believe that measurements really tell a whole lot.

I also think with most gear the intangibles make a greater difference. The companies reputation, the "feel" of the piece both physical and the emotional connection you get. After all, the most important thing is how do you feel when listening to your system... the sound, the emotion.... things that cannot be measured but I truly believe affect what my ears hear.... sometimes a piece that simply feels better to me, either physically or emotionally will sound better, not because it truly sounds better, certainly not that it measures better...
    Audio Research LS17SE; T+A AMP8, DAC8 DSD; McIntosh MC754; W4S Recovery; Falcon NW Tiki; KEF R700, R400b, M500
    Dennis Had Dragon Inspire IHA-1; Focal Clear; MrSpeakers Ether; Oppo BDP-105; Technics ST-9030; Ayre Pono
    Richard Gray Power; W4S C2; Kimber Kable 12TC, 8VS; AudioQuest Niagara 1000, Earth XLR, Anaconda XLR, Coffee USB x2
    {Pangea/WW/W4S/AQ/Gingko/PS Audio/Get Better Sound/Roon/HQPlayer/Cardas/Rothwell}

10. Likes Ryan Berry liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
    Personally, I think a lot of sonic differences, especially with cables, are occurring at the atomic level, and we can’t measure at that level. Yet.
    Oh dear.
    If that's true, then the scientific, medical and instrumentation fields have a real problem.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Speedskater View Post
    Oh dear.
    If that's true, then the scientific, medical and instrumentation fields have a real problem.
    You ever hear of a miss diagnosis. Hmmm. How could a tool get it wrong
    First Sound Mark3SI preamp, Altec Lansing 1570B modded by Transition Audio Design and myself, Mojo Audio CAT Server running Win Server 2016 AO HQ and Roon, Mojo Audio Mystic 3 DAC, Linear Solution Ethernet Switch, Custom TT with Vertere Arm, Denon 103R Midas with sapphire cantilever line contact diamond, Allnic H1201 phono pre, Pure Audio Project Trio 10 with performance Solen air core chokes and Mundord Supreme oil caps, Power via 10 awg OFC cord from panel to custom distribution strip, Inakustik speaker and interconnect cables, Genesis Interconnect.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2