Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
    Super Moderator

Parasound Announces Halo JC 5 Stereo Amplifier

http://www.parasound.com/jc5.php

https://www.monoandstereo.com/2018/04/new-parasound-halo-jc-5-stereo-amplifier.html

https://hometheaterreview.com/paraso...reo-amplifier/

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by joeinid; April 18, 2018 at 03:49 PM.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Re: Parasound Announces Halo JC 5 Stereo Amplifier

Will be interesting to see how this compares to the Bryston 4B3.

Super Moderator

I would love to hear the new JC5
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

If its 95% of the JC1 then it will sound great.
    My Gear- Mains System-Pass X250 amp, BAT VK-51se preamp, Luxman DA-06 DAC, Magnepan 1.6's, Thorens TD-145 TT, Dual Martin Logan Subs, Vintage Luxman T-110 Tuner, Cables-WW Platinum 7 USB, Cardas Parsec XLR, AQ Columbia DBS 72v XLR, Belden 8402 XLR.

Super Moderator

Anyone here have have experience with the JC1 amps?

Since the JC5 is a reality, any thoughts on a JC1 update?

Quote Originally Posted by Mechnutt View Post
    If its 95% of the JC1 then it will sound great.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Joe

Unless you know a local dealer who carries you should be able to try one through AA for thirty days.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Super Moderator

That's an idea. I'm looking around now.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Joe

Unless you know a local dealer who carries you should be able to try one through AA for thirty days.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Joe, are you looking to buy a pair of JC1's?
    My Gear- Mains System-Pass X250 amp, BAT VK-51se preamp, Luxman DA-06 DAC, Magnepan 1.6's, Thorens TD-145 TT, Dual Martin Logan Subs, Vintage Luxman T-110 Tuner, Cables-WW Platinum 7 USB, Cardas Parsec XLR, AQ Columbia DBS 72v XLR, Belden 8402 XLR.

Super Moderator

I was actually thinking about the new JC5. The JC1 are a little long in the tooth and I'd be hesitant to get JC1s now.

Joe, are you looking to buy a pair of JC1's?

NAD C 658 streamer.

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    I was actually thinking about the new JC5. The JC1 are a little long in the tooth and I'd be hesitant to get JC1s now.
    Hi Joe,

Why would you need these when you have the world-class sounding D’Agostino M400’s? Put the money towards Harbeth 40.2 Anniversary or Revel Salon 2 speakers.

Ken
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps; MSB M204 Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

Super Moderator

Second system from leftover gear but I do love the speaker recommendations.

NAD C 658 streamer.

While I've never owned big $$$ solid state amps... the JC-1s were the absolute best sounding SS amps I've ever owned. If I had to go back to SS with $$ as a consideration I'd get JC-1s in a heartbeat. Now maybe the JC5?
    Magnepan 20.7 - CJ ART 300s - CJ GATV2 - Meitner MA-1 V2 -Dedicated JRMC + Synology NAS

Super Moderator

Thanks Ray. I remember now, you really liked them.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Joe, the JC1's are still a Stereophile A+. There is a dealer here in town that may have them on sale.

http://www.stereoland.com/

I also owned them for10 years. It still one of better SS amps now. You can have for less than brand new JC5 sometime I saw them about 4.5k to 5k. For that price Its steal.

Anyone here have have experience with the JC1 amps?

Since the JC5 is a reality, any thoughts on a JC1 update?
    http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...l=1#post166838
    Anthony
    Analog: VPI Clearaudio Innovation Wood/Kuzma 4Point/Ortofon A95> ASR Basis Exclusive HV---->

Digital: Antipodes CX (Oladra Upgrade)> Cary DMS-600 DAC/Streamer---->
    ...........Cary 306 SACD Professional Disc Player---->

===> Cary SLP-05 (Ultimate Upgrade edition)----> Clayton M-300----> MARTIN LOGAN SPIRES/REL 212SX x2

[Synergistic Research/Nordost/Wireworld/Furutech/SRA/Adona/Stillpoints/Track Audio/GIK Acoustics]

Super Moderator

Well done! Thank you for the link. I remember that thread now.

NAD C 658 streamer.

DSkip

This is a beautiful amp in person. I dropped in during setup and Phil was very excited about it. This new amp is actually designed by John Curl himself, not a revision or alteration of one of his previous designs. That's why his signature is on the unit.

Parasound did this one the right way. I suspect it will be a strong seller for them.

As far as the overall aesthetics, I like the gold touches on the front. The faceplate has gotten a bit smaller with smaller 'wings' on the ends. The new A52+ shares this visual and they make for very attractive pieces that still hold that Halo look. To me, the gold makes it look - timeless.

Absolutely loved my JC-1's. Only sold them due to my wife nagging about the heat they put out and our electrical bill. Maybe I shouldn't of left them on all the time...
    Kevin

Main: VPI Aries 3/Grado Reference3, and Aurender N200 > PS Audio DS DAC. Luxman L-509Z integrated amp. Sonus Faber Elipsa SE speakers. PS Audio P10 power. Transparent Audio, Cardas and Audioquest cables.

Bar: EAT C-sharp/Hana MH, and exaSound s82 > Luxman L-595SE amp. GolderEar One.R speakers. Shunyata power, Audioquest cables.

Super Moderator

I remember Mike talking about one of the trade shows several years ago. A surprising number of rooms used the JC1 amps as their amp of choice in the demo rooms. He commented that they all sounded awesome.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Audioshark

I remember Mike talking about one of the trade shows several years ago. A surprising number of rooms used the JC1 amps as their amp of choice in the demo rooms. He commented that they all sounded awesome.
    And when I discussed carrying Parasound, people poo pooed the idea. Not high end enough they said. Too “mid fi” they said.

Sounded great to me.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Super Moderator

See Mike, you are ALWAYS ahead of the curve.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    And when I discussed carrying Parasound, people poo pooed the idea. Not high end enough they said. Too “mid fi” they said.

Sounded great to me.
    Mid fi = hi fi sometimes its nothing but pretty casings and price that separates the two.
    Last edited by joeinid; April 25, 2018 at 10:31 AM.
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

Quote Originally Posted by CPP View Post
    Mid fi = hi fi sometimes its nothing but pretty casings and price that separates the to.
    I couldn't agree more.

..and I'm definitely guilty-as-charged at times... I've totally overlooked products where I had some preconceived notion that they were not expensive enough to be any good.

In a few cases fortunately I've found fantastic products that would remain fantastic at 2 or 3 or 4 or more times their price.
    Magnepan 20.7 - CJ ART 300s - CJ GATV2 - Meitner MA-1 V2 -Dedicated JRMC + Synology NAS

The Parasound Halo products should not be overlooked by anyone on the basis of price. They all punch above their weight class.
    Anthony
    Analog: VPI Clearaudio Innovation Wood/Kuzma 4Point/Ortofon A95> ASR Basis Exclusive HV---->

===> Cary SLP-05 (Ultimate Upgrade edition)----> Clayton M-300----> MARTIN LOGAN SPIRES/REL 212SX x2

[Synergistic Research/Nordost/Wireworld/Furutech/SRA/Adona/Stillpoints/Track Audio/GIK Acoustics]

I have heard the JC2 preamp and it is definitely not midfi. It competes with preamps costing twice as much and it looks good. The JC1 speaks for itself.

The A21 amp which I own is a great buy but gets you in to the lower end of HiFi and it looks great.

I know the JC 1's were a collaboration between John, Carl Thompson doing the circuit board layout, and the late Bob Crump voicing it. Same group did the Blowtorch preamp

Just looked at the Parasound website and the venerable JC-1 monoblocks have been discontinued. Perhaps (and hopefully) being revised for a "JC-1+" version???

The JC-1's were one of favorite amps I have owned. Wonderful sound, especially when used in high bias. Ran really hot, however, and were a bit hard on the electrical bill. Maybe I should have turned them off once in a while...
    Kevin

Main: VPI Aries 3/Grado Reference3, and Aurender N200 > PS Audio DS DAC. Luxman L-509Z integrated amp. Sonus Faber Elipsa SE speakers. PS Audio P10 power. Transparent Audio, Cardas and Audioquest cables.

Bar: EAT C-sharp/Hana MH, and exaSound s82 > Luxman L-595SE amp. GolderEar One.R speakers. Shunyata power, Audioquest cables.

Quote Originally Posted by 4N6 View Post
    Just looked at the Parasound website and the venerable JC-1 monoblocks have been discontinued. Perhaps (and hopefully) being revised for a "JC-1+" version???

The JC-1's were one of favorite amps I have owned. Wonderful sound, especially when used in high bias. Ran really hot, however, and were a bit hard on the electrical bill. Maybe I should have turned them off once in a while...
    I guess their sells were low and hence NOT enough press or interest. Its a nice mono block for sure.
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

Super Moderator

The end of a classic but I’m sure they will have something to fill the void. Great company indeed.

NAD C 658 streamer.

It's too bad. They are great mono's. Stereophile still loves them. I considered buying a pair until the Pass amp fell in my lap.

Quote Originally Posted by 4N6 View Post

Wow, that is big news. I wonder what John Curl has planned for the successor. Yes, they are space heaters but definitely worth the extra heat. Probably the best bang-for-buck amps.
    Anthony

I considered buying a pair until the Pass amp fell in my lap.
    Wow, that must of hurt ..........
    Cheers ! …. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Mikado463 View Post
    Wow, that must of hurt ..........
    Yeah and what fell in his lap eventually made me buy a pair of XA mono's, prick!
    Main:
    Room: Dedicated 25 x 14 x 8 treated room | Computers (headless in utility room): Wkst #1 Ubuntu running lifetime ROON server. High end wkst #2 High end wkst running HQE image | Network rack (in utility room): Managed Fiber Switch, QNAP NAS | Endpoint: Fiber to SONORE OpticalRendu w/ LPS, Sbooster USB vbus2 |DAC: Lampi Lite7, Holo Audio S3 KTE, Aqua La Scala MKII Optologic | Pre: Atma-Sphere MP-3 Mk3.3 Pre | Amps: Pass XA100.5 Mono's | Speakers: Revel Ultima Studio2 (Townshend seismic posiums) with Dual PSA X15 sealed subs | Isolation: Components on custom roller bearings + compression springs | Cables: Wireworld Platinum USB / Analysis Plus PC / Gotham 4/4 XLR / AQ spkr / Revelation audiolabs I2s | Server Streamer: Aqua LinQ using HQP modules > I2s to Aqua La Scala

Office: Win10 wkst with Spotify or ROON controller > VDAC-II > VLINK 192 > Yamaha RX integrated > Polk audio signature Monitors >12" sub

As per my knowledge the Halo JC 5 stereo amplifier was a culmination of many requests from Parasound customers looking for something with the performance of their JC 1 Mono amp with space and cost savings of a stereo amp. Essentially, it’s trying to cram two of their top-of-the-line mono amps into a more attractive package – in both size and price.

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum, thank you for joining.

NAD C 658 streamer.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Parasound Announces Halo JC 5 Stereo Amplifier