Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

How Often Do You Change Your Cartridge

Hi I have my Lyra Helikon cartridges over 10 years. I really couldn’t tell you how many hours on them. The stereo cartridge definitely more than the mono.
    They are definitely not abused and look fine.

As I’m sure the aging of the cartridge and performance would be gradual so it might not stand out if it’s really time to move on to another.

So my question to all is how often do you change your cartridge?
    Paul

Speakers: Von Schweikert VR-5 Anniversary MK II Front L/R, LCR-35 Center, VR-1 Rear L/R Sub: JL Audio F113
    Amps: PS Audio BHK Signature 300 Mono, McIntosh MC207 Pre-Amp PS Audio BHK Signature and Gold Note PH-10 Phono Stage/PSU-10 Power Supply
    Turntable: VPI HR-X 12.7 TONEARM (2) and SDS, Stillpoints LPI
    Tape Deck Otari 5050B II2
    Music Server: Aurender N100H
    Cartridges: Ortofon Cadenza Black, Lyra Helikon Mono Digital Source: Oppo UDP-205 DAC: Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE
    SSP: Marantz AV8801 Cables: Wireworld Electra 7 (P) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7, Shunyata Delta NR (I) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 (S)
    Wireworld Platinum Starlight 7 (USB)
    AC Power Regeneration: PS Audio DirectStream P15 Power Plant and Shunyata Denali 6000s V2.

Northern California Coast & San Francisco

Re: How Often Do You Change Your Cartridge

The passage of time is not the issue, it's the # of hours you played records. Do an estimate based on how many hours per day or week on average you may have used it, and and you may get some useful answers. Another approach is to have someone with experience examine the stylus under a microscope. They should be able to estimate the # of hours left. One thousand hours before re-tipping seems to be the normal expectation.
    Tom
    Ultimate Audio
    SoundLab Dealer

Country System:
    SoundLab Ultimate-1PX Electrostatic Speakers
    Pass Labs XP-32 pre, Pass Labs XA60.8 Amps
    Pass Lab XP-27 phono stage
    SME 20/2 table with SME V arm, Stillpoints LPI
    Minus-K BM-8 passive vibration control under tt
    Dynavector XV-1s, Koeitsu Rosewood Signature cartridges, Klaudio RCM
    Roon Nucleus+ powered by Keces P-8 LPS
    Lumin X-1 Network Music Player
    3 dedicated AC lines
    Shunyata Omega PC to Everest for all source devices
    Typhon for each amp powered by 2 dedicated circuits
    Various Shunyata Alpha & Sigma PC's throughout.
    Stillpoints under everything.

City System:
    Ayre KX-R Twenty Preamp
    Pass Labs X-260.8 Monoblocks
    Esoteric K-03 SACD Player
    Roon Nucleus+powered by UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS
    Lumin X-1 Network Music Player
    Sound Lab Ultimate-545PX Speakers
    Shunyata Hydra 8, Typhon QR
    Various Shunyata Alpha & Sigma PC's throughout
    Stillpoints under everything. Multiple room acoustic panels.

I have to respectfully disagree that hours of actual playing time are the only contributing factor in cartridge aging. Suspension materials age from the passage of time which can affect their flexibility and cantilever damping. Some more modern suspension materials better maintain their characteristics over an extended length of time compared to older designs, but they can still exhibit a shift in their performance characteristics. Naturally this type of aging can vary between different designs and manufacturers based on the materials they choose to use, but such aging can be a factor in performance even with a cartridge that may have minimal hours of run time. Suspension component aging cannot necessarily be determined by a visual inspection, although you can sometimes notice it when a cartridge is riding significantly lower than when it was new. Even if it's riding at the proper height older cartridges with aged suspensions can have compromised performance potential.

I’m going to check the stylus over the weekend with a magnifying glass. I’ll take some pic’s as well and share.
    Paul

Speakers: Von Schweikert VR-5 Anniversary MK II Front L/R, LCR-35 Center, VR-1 Rear L/R Sub: JL Audio F113
    Amps: PS Audio BHK Signature 300 Mono, McIntosh MC207 Pre-Amp PS Audio BHK Signature and Gold Note PH-10 Phono Stage/PSU-10 Power Supply
    Turntable: VPI HR-X 12.7 TONEARM (2) and SDS, Stillpoints LPI
    Tape Deck Otari 5050B II2
    Music Server: Aurender N100H
    Cartridges: Ortofon Cadenza Black, Lyra Helikon Mono Digital Source: Oppo UDP-205 DAC: Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE
    SSP: Marantz AV8801 Cables: Wireworld Electra 7 (P) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7, Shunyata Delta NR (I) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 (S)
    Wireworld Platinum Starlight 7 (USB)
    AC Power Regeneration: PS Audio DirectStream P15 Power Plant and Shunyata Denali 6000s V2.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

How Often Do You Change Your Cartridge