Audio Research 160M - Page 9
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9
    Audioshark
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Audio Research 160M

Quote Originally Posted by Bobvin View Post
    My audio guardian angel has looked after me, so buying sight unseen and unheard, and it has worked out for me in the past. That said, Mike’s comments and those of others who haven’t been big ARC fanboys (like myself) have made the decision easier.
    Congrats Bob. When you put them in Triode mode, you'll be loving them!
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Audio Research, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Avantgarde Acoustics, Ayre Acoustics, Berkeley Audio Design, Bryston, Chord, ClearAudio Turntables & Accessories, Esoteric, FirstWatt, Focal Headphones, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Furutech, Gryphon Audio, iFi Audio, ISO Acoustics, KEF Loudspeakers, Kimber Kable, KL Audio Record Cleaning Machines, KR Audio Tube & Amps, Kronos, Lampizator, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MicroMega, MIT Cables, MSB Technologies, Ortofon, Pass Labs, PS Audio, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables, REL Acoustics, Roon Labs, Shunyata Research, Siltech, Solid Tech Racks, SRA, Stein Music, Stillpoints, T+A Electronics, Tannoy Loudspeakers, Transfiguration Cartridges, Trenner & Friedl, Triode Corporation of Japan, VAC, Verity Audio Speakers, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Congrats Bob. When you put them in Triode mode, you'll be loving them!
    Mike,

I honestly loved them in both modes.

Ken
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    ----------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC (Incoming)
    Two Mono Powerbases, Femto 33 Clock
    Amplifiers: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Cables: AudioQuest Wild Blue Yonder
    Power Conditioner: Audience AR6-TSSOX
    Power Cords: Audience AU24SE

Post Thanks / Like

Don't worry, if by some odd chance you didn't like them, I'd happily trade you my amp for them.

My audio guardian angel has looked after me, so buying sight unseen and unheard, and it has worked out for me in the past. That said, Mikeís comments and those of others who havenít been big ARC fanboys (like myself) have made the decision easier.
    Mark Levinson #512 & 532h, Pass Labs XP10, Hegel HD30, JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro, AcousTech PH-1P
    All Clarus Crimson cabling, AC to binding post. Surgex
    HT: Marantz AV8003/BD7003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30, SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering

4. Likes Bobvin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Agh, piggy bank stuffed! My garage is clear of multiple pieces of power equipment Iíve not needed here in Oregon (I still have my tractor!), and the Minister of Finance has given the nod of approval (I just told her its been a fantasy since I was in my 20ís to own ARC mono-blocks), so it looks like Iíll be ordering up a pair of 160M shortly.

Now how do I walk around and hide this audio chubby!
    Wow Bob, congratulations! These are dream amps for sure... I have nothing to say about the wood situation other than I am sure I would be right there also if I had a pair of these coming in. That is fantastic.... enjoy!
    GEAR Audio Research LS17 SE | T+A DAC 8 DSD, AMP 8 | Wyred 4 Sound Recovery | KEF R700, R400b, M500
    Oppo BDP-105 | Technics ST-9030 w / ​Magnum Dynalab ST-2 | MrSpeakers Ether | Ayres Pono | Furman Elite 15i
    Cables/Isolators Gingko | Pangea | Richard Gray | Kimber Kable | Wireworld | Audioquest | Wyred 4 Sound | PS Audio

Post Thanks / Like

Ken (alpinist) thanks for responding to my post. I'm trying to discern as much as I can about the 160M's because my local dealer has nothing but a REF 75SE and a REF6. Bob V can you shed any light on the differences between the 160M's and your Ref 75 with KT 150s? Thanks everyone.
    Rockport Avior Speakers; ARC Ref 10 Pre-amp; ARC REF 75 SE amp/Boulder 2060 amp; Feickert Woodpecker Turntable; Boulder 1008 phono stage; Ayre QA9 ADC; Light Harmonics Dual Dac; Nordost Frey 2 power cables and speaker cables; Nordost Heimdall 2 interconnects; Shunyata and Nordost power conditioning.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gasherbaum View Post
    Ken (alpinist) thanks for responding to my post. I'm trying to discern as much as I can about the 160M's because my local dealer has nothing but a REF 75SE and a REF6. Bob V can you shed any light on the differences between the 160M's and your Ref 75 with KT 150s? Thanks everyone.
    I certainly am not the one to ask, as I've not heard or laid eyes on the 160M's. I am buying sight unseen and sound unheard. I believe it is a safe bet... The Ref75 with KT150 tubes, in my system (I did not upgrade my amp to the SE version) has been a delight on nearly every level. Granted, the REF75 doesn't have the kind control of the Alexia woofers you'll get from a SS design like the D'agostino amps, but I have been willing to accept that fact in trade for the wonderful timber and nuance of the midrange, where vocals have a 3-dimensional truth and purity I find compelling.

Given the GS150 came after the current REF lineup and was consistently reported to be (possibly) the best sounding ARC amp they'd made, I am of the opinion that the REF160 amp, being mono-blocks, is likely to bring the GS150 qualities to an even higher level. Initial reports is they do just that, and my speaking with Dave Gordon at ARC leads me to understand they consider the REF160 to improve in significant ways on the GS150.

Everyone makes decisions in this hobby with their own reasoning. I am a longtime fan of ARC so I certainly have loyalty and bias. Their latest offerings offer hi-fidelity at a price well below many manufacturers, and many will argue this or that brand is more realistic. It usually is a matter of what parameters are most compelling for you, and your budget. I feel blessed to have assembled a very, very enjoyable system and expect the new amps will bring more of what I like from ARC (and satisfy my jones to finally own a pair of ARC monos.) My wife thinks I am f_ing nuts, but fortunately she loves me and lets me get away with things I probably ought not to. Bless her heart.
    óBob V.

My system: Benz LPS, AMG v12 turntable, Einstein Turntables' Choice phono-pre (dual mono version), dCS Rossini, Audio Research Ref10 pre, Audio Research Ref75 amp w.KT150 tubes, Wilson Alexia speakers. Transparent Ref MM2 & Gen5 signal cables, Shunyata Zitron Sigma, AlphaNR, Python, Anaconda, Cobra power cables. Shunyata Hydra Triton v3. Stillpoints. HRS. Acoustic environment optimized by Dr. Bonnie Schnitta of SoundSense.

8. Likes rrwmd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My wife thinks I f_ing nuts, but fortunately she loves me and lets me get away with things I probably ought not to. Bless her heart.
    I've never read any statement on an audio website that I can relate to more than this one.

10. Likes Bobvin, Golum liked this post

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9