Audio Research 160M - Page 8
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Audio Research 160M

Jimmy S and Alpinist, thanks for those reviews. Can you shed any light on how the 160M's differ from the other ARC amps, such as the 150SE or 250SEs? thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gasherbaum View Post
    Jimmy S and Alpinist, thanks for those reviews. Can you shed any light on how the 160M's differ from the other ARC amps, such as the 150SE or 250SEs? thanks
    More refinement and finesse, in my opinion.

Ken
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    ----------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC (Incoming)
    Two Mono Powerbases, Femto 33 Clock
    Amplifiers: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Cables: AudioQuest Wild Blue Yonder
    Power Conditioner: Audience AR6-TSSOX
    Power Cords: Audience AU24SE

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinist View Post
    More refinement and finesse, in my opinion.

Ken
    In both modes Ken..Or are you refering to the SE strapped mode ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
    In both modes Ken..Or are you refering to the SE strapped mode ?
    In both modes, in my opinion.

Ken
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    ----------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC (Incoming)
    Two Mono Powerbases, Femto 33 Clock
    Amplifiers: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Cables: AudioQuest Wild Blue Yonder
    Power Conditioner: Audience AR6-TSSOX
    Power Cords: Audience AU24SE

Post Thanks / Like

OK Mike, a couple more weeks have passed since I’ve pestered you for more 160M notes... and to be sure, comments from others are only adding to my Jones. I may be pulling the trigger soon. Are your’s on the stock footers?

My delema is, somewhat, given the price of 160M’s and additional amp-stand & power cord, we’re in the neighborhood of D’agostino S250—and if I have ever considered SS amp in my system thats the one. Small matters of degrees and taste I suppose, I expect the all-ARC synergy would get the nod, at the slight expense of the ultimate control of the Alexia woofers.
    —Bob V.

My system: Benz LPS, AMG v12 turntable, Einstein Turntables' Choice phono-pre (dual mono version), dCS Rossini, Audio Research Ref10 pre, Audio Research Ref75 amp w.KT150 tubes, Wilson Alexia speakers. Transparent Ref MM2 & Gen5 signal cables, Shunyata Zitron Sigma, AlphaNR, Python, Anaconda, Cobra power cables. Shunyata Hydra Triton v3. Stillpoints. HRS. Acoustic environment optimized by Dr. Bonnie Schnitta of SoundSense.

Audioshark
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bobvin View Post
    OK Mike, a couple more weeks have passed since I’ve pestered you for more 160M notes... and to be sure, comments from others are only adding to my Jones. I may be pulling the trigger soon. Are your’s on the stock footers?

My delema is, somewhat, given the price of 160M’s and additional amp-stand & power cord, we’re in the neighborhood of D’agostino S250—and if I have ever considered SS amp in my system thats the one. Small matters of degrees and taste I suppose, I expect the all-ARC synergy would get the nod, at the slight expense of the ultimate control of the Alexia woofers.
    Well, I continue to try them on different speakers and continue to be amazed. If the ARC guys say this is the best amp they’ve ever made, I couldn’t argue. Better than any ARC amp I’ve owned, that’s for darn sure.

With time, they continue to open up and just amaze me with tonal richness, bass control, separation and musicality.

To my ears, the D’Ag is a great amp, but has some energy in the midbass. That will exacerbate Wilson Alexia character traits. The ARC is more balanced IMHO. Constellation is the closest SS, IMO, to the ARC in terms of linearity, something I firmly believe in for most speakers. ARC has also been around for 48 years and I suspect will be around for 48 more and beyond. Others cannot claim that. Audiophiles have seemingly turned a blind eye to brand longevity despite the loss of Charlie Hansen, Ken Shindo, AJ Conte, Jim Thiel and more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Audio Research, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Avantgarde Acoustics, Ayre Acoustics, Berkeley Audio Design, Bryston, Chord, ClearAudio Turntables & Accessories, Esoteric, FirstWatt, Focal Headphones, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Furutech, Gryphon Audio, iFi Audio, ISO Acoustics, KEF Loudspeakers, Kimber Kable, KL Audio Record Cleaning Machines, KR Audio Tube & Amps, Kronos, Lampizator, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MicroMega, MIT Cables, MSB Technologies, Ortofon, Pass Labs, PS Audio, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables, REL Acoustics, Roon Labs, Shunyata Research, Siltech, Solid Tech Racks, SRA, Stein Music, Stillpoints, T+A Electronics, Tannoy Loudspeakers, Transfiguration Cartridges, Trenner & Friedl, Triode Corporation of Japan, VAC, Verity Audio Speakers, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

7. Thanks bart, Bobvin thanked for this post
    Likes Bobvin, Mechnutt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Agh, piggy bank stuffed! My garage is clear of multiple pieces of power equipment I’ve not needed here in Oregon (I still have my tractor!), and the Minister of Finance has given the nod of approval (I just told her its been a fantasy since I was in my 20’s to own ARC mono-blocks), so it looks like I’ll be ordering up a pair of 160M shortly.

Now how do I walk around and hide this audio chubby!
    —Bob V.

My system: Benz LPS, AMG v12 turntable, Einstein Turntables' Choice phono-pre (dual mono version), dCS Rossini, Audio Research Ref10 pre, Audio Research Ref75 amp w.KT150 tubes, Wilson Alexia speakers. Transparent Ref MM2 & Gen5 signal cables, Shunyata Zitron Sigma, AlphaNR, Python, Anaconda, Cobra power cables. Shunyata Hydra Triton v3. Stillpoints. HRS. Acoustic environment optimized by Dr. Bonnie Schnitta of SoundSense.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bobvin View Post
    Agh, piggy bank stuffed! My garage is clear of multiple pieces of power equipment I’ve not needed here in Oregon (I still have my tractor!), and the Minister of Finance has given the nod of approval (I just told her its been a fantasy since I was in my 20’s to own ARC mono-blocks), so it looks like I’ll be ordering up a pair of 160M shortly.

Now how do I walk around and hide this audio chubby!
    Cobgratulations Bob! I’ve seen and heard the Ref 160s at Mike’s store. They are impressive in looks and sound. Should be a fantastic match for your Alexias.

BTW, enjoy the journey through break in. Some people complain about it but it has never bothered me.

Lastly, when I heard the 160s at Mike’s they only had a few hours on them. And, they sounded pretty darn good!

Mike

10. Thanks Bobvin thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bob , i think i will just say congratulations as you seem to have made your choice on those Amps can only imagine they will be great.
    Flemming

12. Thanks Bobvin thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My audio guardian angel has looked after me, so buying sight unseen and unheard, and it has worked out for me in the past. That said, Mike’s comments and those of others who haven’t been big ARC fanboys (like myself) have made the decision easier.
    —Bob V.

14. Likes Mike, rrwmd liked this post

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast