Audio Research 160M - Page 6
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 16 ... LastLast
    Audioshark
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Audio Research 160M

Quote Originally Posted by cmalak View Post
    Nice Mike

In Triode mode (80wpc?), do they lose a bit of bass authority and dynamics compared to Ultralinear?

Iím assuming Triode mode works better with more intimate music where the focus is vocals, instrumental timbres and textures, and ultralinear is more appropriate for music requiring more bass depth and control, like orchestral or hard charging rock??
    I canít say yet. Too early. Triode mode is intoxicating. Iím in the store on a Sunday. Canít stop listening. Must go home!

Itís great to have options. Ultralinear would be great for classical Iím sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Audio Research, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Avantgarde Acoustics, Avid HiFi, Ayre Acoustics, Berkeley Audio Design, Bryston, Chord, ClearAudio Turntables & Accessories, Constellation Audio, Esoteric, FirstWatt, Focal Headphones, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Furutech, Gryphon Audio, iFi Audio, ISO Acoustics, JL Audio, KEF Loudspeakers, Kimber Kable, KL Audio Record Cleaning Machines, KR Audio Tube & Amps, Kronos, Lampizator, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MicroMega, MIT Cables, MSB Technologies, Naim Audio, Ortofon, Pass Labs, PS Audio, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables, Roon Labs, Shunyata Research, Siltech, Solid Tech Racks, Sony, SRA, Stein Music, Stillpoints, T+A Electronics, Tannoy Loudspeakers, Transfiguration Cartridges, Trenner & Friedl, Triode Corporation of Japan, VAC, Verity Audio Speakers, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

2. Likes Ritmo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So Mike, how're you getting on with the 160M's—as they evolve are you still transfixed? Better than GS150? Better than REF250SE? Have you slept?
    óBob V.

My system: Benz LPS, AMG v12 turntable, Einstein Turntables' Choice phono-pre (dual mono version), dCS Rossini, Audio Research Ref10 pre, Audio Research REF 160M, Wilson Alexia speakers. Transparent Ref MM2 & Gen5 signal cables, Shunyata Zitron Sigma, AlphaNR, Python, Anaconda power cables. Shunyata Hydra Triton v3, Denali 2000t, Stillpoints. HRS. Acoustic environment optimized by Dr. Bonnie Schnitta of SoundSense.

Audioshark
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bobvin View Post
    So Mike, how're you getting on with the 160M'sóas they evolve are you still transfixed? Better than GS150? Better than REF250SE? Have you slept?
    Oh man, they are fabulous. Triode mode is soooooooooo delicious. Way better than GS150, REF250SE. They have this sweet sound with amazing definition and layering of sound. Iím at 90 hours I think.

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Audio Research, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Avantgarde Acoustics, Avid HiFi, Ayre Acoustics, Berkeley Audio Design, Bryston, Chord, ClearAudio Turntables & Accessories, Constellation Audio, Esoteric, FirstWatt, Focal Headphones, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Furutech, Gryphon Audio, iFi Audio, ISO Acoustics, JL Audio, KEF Loudspeakers, Kimber Kable, KL Audio Record Cleaning Machines, KR Audio Tube & Amps, Kronos, Lampizator, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MicroMega, MIT Cables, MSB Technologies, Naim Audio, Ortofon, Pass Labs, PS Audio, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables, Roon Labs, Shunyata Research, Siltech, Solid Tech Racks, Sony, SRA, Stein Music, Stillpoints, T+A Electronics, Tannoy Loudspeakers, Transfiguration Cartridges, Trenner & Friedl, Triode Corporation of Japan, VAC, Verity Audio Speakers, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries.

5. Thanks Bobvin thanked for this post
    Likes Bobvin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Oh man, they are fabulous. Triode mode is soooooooooo delicious. Way better than GS150, REF250SE. They have this sweet sound with amazing definition and layering of sound. I’m at 90 hours I think.

ARC says the they may be the best sounding amps they have manufactured.
    I am willing to put that claim to the test!
    Buddy

Avantgarde Duo XD Speakers
    Audio Research Ref. 160M Amps, Ref. 6 Pre, Ref. 3 Phono Pre.
    Lampizator Pacific DAC
    Audioquest Niagara 5000 Power Conditioner w/ Hurricane HC PC
    Bryston BIT-20 Power Conditioner
    VPI Scout TT w/ ADS and Ortofon Cadenza Bronze Cart.
    AMG Giro TT w/ AMG Teatro Cart.
    Naim UnitiServe
    Silenzio V.3 Music Server
    Adona Equipment Rack and Amp Stands
    Furutech outlets and plates
    Transparent, Unity Audio Design cable

7. Thanks Mike thanked for this post
    Likes Mike liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Mike,

Can you describe the differences between the 160M's and the 250SE's please. thank you

Audioshark
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gasherbaum View Post
    Hi Mike,

Can you describe the differences between the 160M's and the 250SE's please. thank you
    The 160Mís in Triode mode have an intoxicating, 300b SET like sweetness. In Ultralinear mode, they sound like the 250SEís.

10. Likes Sharp 2160 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike, are the 160’s on the usual 600hr break-in schedule? Further thoughts & impressions?
    óBob V.

My system: Benz LPS, AMG v12 turntable, Einstein Turntables' Choice phono-pre (dual mono version), dCS Rossini, Audio Research Ref10 pre, Audio Research REF 160M, Wilson Alexia speakers. Transparent Ref MM2 & Gen5 signal cables, Shunyata Zitron Sigma, AlphaNR, Python, Anaconda power cables. Shunyata Hydra Triton v3, Denali 2000t, Stillpoints. HRS. Acoustic environment optimized by Dr. Bonnie Schnitta of SoundSense.

Audioshark
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike, are the 160ís on the usual 600hr break-in schedule? Further thoughts & impressions?
    Yes. They are breaking in beautifully. I cannot believe how advanced these are sonically over my GS150. The linearity, clarity, microdetail retrieval and sweetness is intoxicating. The soundstage is expanding as they break in.

13. Thanks Bobvin thanked for this post
    Likes Bobvin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike, are the 160’s on the usual 600hr break-in schedule? Further thoughts & impressions?
    When I talked to Dave Gordon from ARC at RMAF a few years ago, I told him the Ref 6 and Ref 75 didn't need 600 hours of break in time to sound great. Dave agreed and said ARC was going to change the 600 hour reminder they place in the box of their gear. Apparently they haven't done that yet. People see this piece of paper and assume its gospel it will take 600 hours of break in time before their new ARC gear sounds its best. Many people literally can't enjoy their new gear until they know they have put 600 hours on it.
    Technics SP-10MKII table in custom plinth with custom power supply made by Peter Noerbaek of PBN, SME 312s arm, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Zesto Andros 1.2 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, laptop music server running JRiver 20, Mytek Stereo 192 DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, NOLA KO speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and a pair of Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve owned quite a few ARC components. Always enjoyed the break in journey and never worried too much about the 600 hrs. Also, to me the journey meant that, with time, the quality if the music reproduction would continue to improve.

To me, the magic number has been around 300 hrs. Not that before 300 hrs the system sounded bad, it’s just that it got better!

Anyway, it’s all about music.

Mike

Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 16 ... LastLast