ARC Ref 10 vs CJ GAT(2) ? - Page 9
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: ARC Ref 10 vs CJ GAT(2) ?

Most pleased for you Joe I would heartily recommend a couple of tweeks to your factory Ref10, perhaps when you have a few more hours on the clock.

Try tube rolling the 6550 Sovtek regulators with a pair of tested and matched GE6550A's as well as swapping out the Sovtek 6h30's for genuine pre 1995 Reflector DR's, expensive but will elevate your 10 to another level. I would also highly recommend that you replace the rear chassis mounted mains current rail fuse with an SR Blue or Audio Magic Beeswax Reference.

I imagine that you are using a good quality aftermarket power cable already, the ARC cable is not bad but the 10 does respond well to a substitute.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much. I’m definitely starting to think about a few tweaks and I think the 6550 is a great way to start. I probably should use a “better” power cable. I’m not sure if I want to squeeze out a possible $4K+ for the 6H30 but I believe in the grand scheme of things, it’s not a tremendous cost, ugh
    Joe

Audio Research Ref 10 preamp, D'Agostino Momentum M400 monos, McIntosh MCLK12, Luxman C900u, Job INTegrated, Accuphase A-36, Cary 300B SE, JBL 4367, Revel Ultima Studio 2, JBL 4312D, Klipsch RP-160M, Klipsch RB-75, KEF LS50, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES, ASL Wave monos, Kimber RCA and XLR cable, VPI Classic 3, VPI SDS, Lyra Kleos, Burmester 948, Metric Halo LIO-8, Linear Tube Audio MZ2 - MicroZOTL2.0 Preamplifier, BorderPatrol SE Dac.

Post Thanks / Like

Joe

This might be a good place to start with trying out "better" power cords since he is practically "down the street" from you and will let you try them for 30 days. He should have numerous broken in cords that were used in the multiple rooms they were a part of at Axpona. I use them on the amp, preamp and power conditioner.

http://www.triodewirelabs.com/triode...erican-series/
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon Dl-301 Mk II, Vista Audio Phono 2, Marantz HD-CD1, Lumin D1 w/Sbooster, PS Audio DirectStream DAC w/Bridge II, BHK Preamp and 250 amp, Nola KO's, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Cables- Triode Wire Labs, Equi=Core 1800, PI Audio Uberbuss

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, W4S Recovery with iPower, Nuprime DAC-10, Nuprime ST-10, Spatial Audio Triode Master, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Cullen Cable PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

I’ve always wanted to try Pete’s cables. This is probably a good time to reach out.
    Joe

Audio Research Ref 10 preamp, D'Agostino Momentum M400 monos, McIntosh MCLK12, Luxman C900u, Job INTegrated, Accuphase A-36, Cary 300B SE, JBL 4367, Revel Ultima Studio 2, JBL 4312D, Klipsch RP-160M, Klipsch RB-75, KEF LS50, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES, ASL Wave monos, Kimber RCA and XLR cable, VPI Classic 3, VPI SDS, Lyra Kleos, Burmester 948, Metric Halo LIO-8, Linear Tube Audio MZ2 - MicroZOTL2.0 Preamplifier, BorderPatrol SE Dac.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe you can just go by the shop and see where there built. Invite him to stop by the Forum more often.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon Dl-301 Mk II, Vista Audio Phono 2, Marantz HD-CD1, Lumin D1 w/Sbooster, PS Audio DirectStream DAC w/Bridge II, BHK Preamp and 250 amp, Nola KO's, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Cables- Triode Wire Labs, Equi=Core 1800, PI Audio Uberbuss

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, W4S Recovery with iPower, Nuprime DAC-10, Nuprime ST-10, Spatial Audio Triode Master, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Cullen Cable PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    I’ve always wanted to try Pete’s cables. This is probably a good time to reach out.
    Joe...certainly try the Triode cabling and see what you think. I can say from personal experience, Shunyata power cables as well as their power conditioners work well with ARC as well. But no substitute for trying out in your system to make up your own mind.
    Cyril
    Speakers/Amp/Preamp: Thiel CS2.4 / ARC Ref 110 / ARC Ref 3
    Sources: Basis 2001/Graham2.2/Nagra BPS/Benz Micro Glider SL, Dynavector 20X2-L, ARC CD7, Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Cables/Power/Other: Nordost Heimdall ICs, SCs / Shunyata Hydra 8, Shunyata Python Helix PC / VPI 16.5, HRS Nimbus isolation system

7. Thanks joeinid thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Joe, I you don't plan on going full monty I would recommend at least the couple of DR's, adjacent to the 6550's in the power supply, and the current rail fuse.

9. Thanks joeinid thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Joe

I am happy for you now you have one of the best preamp right now either SS or Tube so enjoy yourself and I have two recommend for your power cable.
    Audio Sensibility Signature Power Cable V2 or Allnic ZL-5000 power cable. They are unknown for Hi-end cable segment but check
    it out. You can find 6mmons review for whole ZL cable loops and I own Allnic top of line IC and SI myself and Audio Sensibility statement power cable and
    Power Distribution system I compared to higher price point still like them better.

Attached Images Attached Images

11. Thanks joeinid thanked for this post
    Likes joeinid liked this post

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9