Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Esoteric N-01 vs Lumin S-1

I'm using Lumin S-1 network player and Esoteric K-03X CDP now, When I compare the sound quality of my K-03X CDP with Lumin S-1 when playing music file (Use K-03X as DAC), I will say it is very close. Now I'm interest to know how's the sound quality compare with N-01 and Lumin S-1? Since the price of N-01 is much higher than Lumin S-1 and the DAC chipset in N-01 is the latest product (AK-4497), I think the sound quality should be very big difference? Anybody has experience to to compare these two players side by side?

Re: Esoteric N-01 vs Lumin S-1

Quote Originally Posted by MM622 View Post
    I'm using Lumin S-1 network player and Esoteric K-03X CDP now, When I compare the sound quality of my K-03X CDP with Lumin S-1 when playing music file (Use K-03X as DAC), I will say it is very close. Now I'm interest to know how's the sound quality compare with N-01 and Lumin S-1? Since the price of N-01 is much higher than Lumin S-1 and the DAC chipset in N-01 is the latest product (AK-4497), I think the sound quality should be very big difference? Anybody has experience to to compare these two players side by side?
    I highly doubt it will be a “very big” difference. Will it sound better, yes, but not monumental. The difference between the 4490 and 4497 is noticeable, but not earth shattering. I’d assume the 4495 to 4497 will be much smaller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Preamp/Digital: Meitner MA3
    HT Processor: Bryston SP3
    Amps: Bryston 14b3, Bryston 4b3
    Speakers: Kef Reference 5, Kef Reference 4c
    Sub: REL Carbon Special
    Power: Shunyata Denali, Bryston BIT15
    Wires: Wireworld Silver Eclipse XLR & SC, Ethernet - WW Platinum USB
    Other: Stillpoint Ultra SS, ISO-Acoustics ISO Pucks

-Kyle

After an excellent head to head comparison the decision was quite clear. My ears actually heard a significant improvement in realism( my benchmark being analog). Received my N01 a few weeks ago..can’t stop listening to it! IMHO. Next stop Magico Q5 or M3
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Turntable: Kronos Sparta
    Cartridge: Clearaudio Titanium
    Phono PreAmp: Aesthetix IO
    Digital: Esoteric No1
    Pre Amp: Mark Levinson No 52
    Amplification: Jadis JA 800
    Speakers: Magico S5 w/ Rel G1
    Cables:Nordost Vahalla 2

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by Mjd View Post
    After an excellent head to head comparison the decision was quite clear. My ears actually heard a significant improvement in realism( my benchmark being analog). Received my N01 a few weeks ago..can’t stop listening to it! IMHO. Next stop Magico Q5 or M3
    Congrats! Definitely M3 gets my vote for next step!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

After an excellent head to head comparison the decision was quite clear.
    No surprise. I've heard K03x and N01 side-by-side. No comparison. N01 much better.

Congrats, the N01 looks to be a very good piece.

Does the N01 also improve on the S1 streaming into the N01.

There was some interesting Japanese write out that on the N01 used both as a streamer and as dac alone streaming with good but different sounding results.

Quote Originally Posted by justubes View Post
    Does the N01 also improve on the S1 streaming into the N01.
    ?

Don't understand. And also the Japanese write out point, I don't understand that either.

Hi

What about compare Esoteric N-01 and K-1 in sound quality if using K-1 as DAC? I guess it’s very close because both are using same DAC’s chipset?

Quote Originally Posted by MM622 View Post
    What about compare Esoteric N-01 and K-1 in sound quality if using K-1 as DAC? I guess it’s very close because both are using same DAC’s chipset?
    They are different products entirely. I'm not sure what purpose there would be in comparing one against the other as a DAC. If you want to spin a disc, buy K-1. If you want a network audio player, buy N-01. Having established your choice on that basis, using it as a DAC with some other source will sound equally great, I'm sure.

Ideal product from Esoteric will be ... a K-1 with streaming functionalities ;-)

iondeed, today you need to buy booth which mlean buying 2 timles the same DAC and 2 very sophisticated power supply ! waste of money....
    On the Go: A&K SP1000 > Shure KSE 1500
    At home : ARIES > Denafrips Terminator R2R DAC > BHSE > STAX SR009
    -> for sale : Piano Forte PFVIII, Eddie Current 445 tube Amp (with many different tubes).
    Review Chord MOJO v/s HUGO et WooAudio WA8 v/s TU-05 & HUGO

Yes. A single box would be very appealing. But when you do that the overall performance suffers.

You wouldn't buy a N-01 and a K-1, that wouldn't make sense. You'd buy N-03T + K-1, or another streamer source and just connect that to your K-1.

Has anybody compared the Lumin X1 to the Esoteric N-01?

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum!
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Post Re: Esoteric N-01 vs Lumin X-1

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    Welcome to the forum!
    I know that everybody is talking about S1 vs N-01.
    Has anybody compared the X1 to the N-01?

I have an X1... someone send me a N01 and Ill let you know lol

Send me your X1 and I'll compare it against my N-01!

If only you were in Canada

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Esoteric N-01 vs Lumin S-1