Bose 901s Interesting speaker to play with - Page 2
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bose 901s Interesting speaker to play with

My buddy had a pair that sounded like crap . Then , a few weeks later we figured out the EQ wasn't hooked up correctly . Then they rocked pretty good .

2. Likes joeinid liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I removed one of the pedestals last night to find they are a Series IV and have Walnut Veneer.

Series I----1968 to 1973, acoustic suspension (sealed cabinet), drivers use 4 fasteners each to hold them in place
    Series II---1973 to 1976, acoustic suspension, improved high frequency response. Drivers use 4 fasteners.
    Series III--1976 to 1978, Acoustic Matrix (ported cabinet--takes less amplifier power to drive to the same volume level) Drivers use 3 fasteners.
    Series IV--1978 to 1983, Acoustic Matrix, improved high frequency response. Drivers use 3 fasteners.
    Series V---1983 to 1987, Acoustic Matrix, drivers use 3 fasteners.
    Series VI--1988 to present, Acoustic Matrix, drivers use 3 fasteners. This is current production, as of April 2013 its $1,398.95 list price includes two speakers and an active equalizer, with shipping and sales tax additional, of course. Bose has periodically put the speaker system on sale for about a hundred bucks off, and some eBay vendors are not charging tax and shipping, which helps a lot.
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System - Rotel 1072 > VAC CLA1 MKII > Couterpoint NPS-400 > Clearfield Continentals > Synergistic Cables
    Secondary
    - OPPO 93 >
    Hafler 945 Pre-Tuner > Odyssey Stratos > Dynaudio Audience 82s > Tara Labs Cables

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowfax View Post
    I removed one of the pedestals last night to find they are a Series IV and have Walnut Veneer.

Series I----1968 to 1973, acoustic suspension (sealed cabinet), drivers use 4 fasteners each to hold them in place
    Series II---1973 to 1976, acoustic suspension, improved high frequency response. Drivers use 4 fasteners.
    Series III--1976 to 1978, Acoustic Matrix (ported cabinet--takes less amplifier power to drive to the same volume level) Drivers use 3 fasteners.
    Series IV--1978 to 1983, Acoustic Matrix, improved high frequency response. Drivers use 3 fasteners.
    Series V---1983 to 1987, Acoustic Matrix, drivers use 3 fasteners.
    Series VI--1988 to present, Acoustic Matrix, drivers use 3 fasteners. This is current production, as of April 2013 its $1,398.95 list price includes two speakers and an active equalizer, with shipping and sales tax additional, of course. Bose has periodically put the speaker system on sale for about a hundred bucks off, and some eBay vendors are not charging tax and shipping, which helps a lot.
    If you haven't done so already you should pull the grill off the back and check the drivers for foam rot. I had a pair of series 4s back in the 80s that developed the dreaded rot. Bose sent me a new pair of series 5 speakers for a fairly minimal charge and my old speakers.
    Unfortunately I sold them without even listening to them. I wouldn't say they are underrated, but they are under appreciated.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2