Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Audio Research LS2 Alternative? Should I just keep it?

Hey everyone... I could use your help. I bought a used ARC LS2 a few years ago because I wasn't ready to commit to spending more for a new preamp. I love the tube sound and listen to alot of blues and classical music. Now I have the itch to start upgrading (I also want speakers) and I'm not sure if I should keep my LS2 and spend the money on some new speakers or should I upgrade my preamp first?

Re: Audio Research LS2 Alternative? Should I just keep it?

Just my 2 cents on this topic - I would go with the speakers and would buy the best I can afford and than later slowly upgrade the electronics...BTW had LS2 and than LS16mkII and now Ref6...definitely there is a difference when you climb up the ladder.

Wish you a nice ride along the way
    LS: Vienna Acoustics Klimt "The Music"
    PowerAmp: Nagra VPA
    PreAmp: Tobian Soundsystems SC12
    DAC: LampizatOr Horizon
    Server: LDMS Maximus Music Server
    CDT: CH Precison D1
    Switch: Edison Creation Silent OCXO Extreme, FiberBox
    Power: LampizatOr Kraftwerk 10
    Cabling: Signal Projects loom

I agree with Golum, you can buy a great set of speakers first and then spend the money on a new peamp. Another idea to consider, have you thought about replacing a few caps to give the ARC LS2 a small upgrade without dropping a ton of cash on a newer pramp. Once you get speakers, test out your new system and see if you're satisfied with the placement, sound, etc. If you're still not happy, you will get the most bang for your money by changing output coupling caps. Then you can see if you need to change any other parts.

Thanks for thefeedback! I never even considered upgrading caps. Plus I love that Ican get the best of both worlds, improving the ARC LS2 AND getting a completelynew set of speakers.

The ARC LS2 is a fine piece of equipment. I had one for 4 years and I really enjoyed it. Eventually, I caved and sold it for a newer unit. Before upgrading, I added dynamicaps and it made a difference in the overal detail. This thing is sturdy and will give you a noticeably different sound when you change cables too. That was one of my favorite parts about the LS2. As a few others have said, you might want to focus on putting most of your money on speakers and just upgrade a few caps. Good Luck on the journey!

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Audio Research LS2 Alternative? Should I just keep it?